Proposal: Horvat for Kane 50% and a 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Even at 50%, it will cost a 1st to get rid of Kane. So what is SJ adding to get Horvat?
It will have to be a ton

If it costs a 1st even at 50%, there’s no deal to be had. Sharks won’t and shouldn’t do that. If a team wants to get something for this, they need to actually be reasonable in their ask and a 1st from a non-playoff team is unreasonable.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
If it costs a 1st even at 50%, there’s no deal to be had. Sharks won’t and shouldn’t do that. If a team wants to get something for this, they need to actually be reasonable in their ask and a 1st from a non-playoff team is unreasonable.

You have continued to overrate Kane's value for a long time now. You have to separate the player (who is legitimately good on ice) from his worth as an asset, and his interest league wide. He has negative value at this point which is why he cleared waivers.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You have continued to overrate Kane's value for a long time now. You have to separate the player (who is legitimately good on ice) from his worth as an asset, and his interest league wide. He has negative value at this point which is why he cleared waivers.

If you think that then you misunderstand the point. The Sharks can bury Kane for the rest of his contract at 5.8 mil. They’re not going to send a 1st so that they can save 2.3 mil per for three seasons. Not when they’re a fringe playoff team at best. The pick is untouchable so people need to look for a different way to try and make a deal or just don’t bother. The other team needs to actually take this into account if they want to make a deal. I’ve already accepted the likelihood that Kane won’t be dealt and he’ll remain in the minors until they buy him out in the off-season.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
This is Benning we are talking about so Horvat and a 1st for Kane sounds about right

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
You guys are all on drugs if you think you are getting Kane @50% and a 1st for future considerations

Reactions: Bizz

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
He was on waivers
this is NOT a conditioning stint as indicated by some in here.

both Doug Wilson and Bob Boughner have confirmed it as such already. If you wanna lie to yourself to make yourself look good then you ain't fooling anyone but yourself.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
both Doug Wilson and Bob Boughner have confirmed it as such already. If you wanna lie to yourself to make yourself look good then you ain't fooling anyone but yourself.

Conditioning stints for up to 14 days don't require waivers

they could have sent him to your farm team easily
This guy is a cancer

nobody wants him

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
You guys are all on drugs if you think you are getting Kane @50% and a 1st for future considerations

No one thinks they will, but hypothetically that's what we're saying it will take for a team to be interested to take on that headcase for three years.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
If you think that then you misunderstand the point. The Sharks can bury Kane for the rest of his contract at 5.8 mil. They’re not going to send a 1st so that they can save 2.3 mil per for three seasons. Not when they’re a fringe playoff team at best. The pick is untouchable so people need to look for a different way to try and make a deal or just don’t bother. The other team needs to actually take this into account if they want to make a deal. I’ve already accepted the likelihood that Kane won’t be dealt and he’ll remain in the minors until they buy him out in the off-season.

Then the Sharks should do so. Literally no team wants him, he most certainly has negative value - sure, we can debate the specifics of just how negative but asking for Horvat for him and a first is absurd imo. Van can just trade Horvat for a first and another player with positive value.

You want other teams to “take this into account if they want to make a deal” yet seem to be continuing to ignore the fact that they unequivocally do not want to make a deal.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
The other team needs to actually take this into account if they want to make a deal.

They need to take what into account? "Oh I know that the Sharks have publicly said they don't want this player anymore, in fact they don't want him so badly they would publicly admit they would pay half his cap hit just to not play for them anymore. But I suppose they could just carry nearly 6 million dollars a year in dead cap, so I should offer up my young cost controlled Captain instead of seeing the negative value"

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
My yearly trade offer to flamed by those who I flame

Kane @50% with a 1st to Vancouver for Horvat

Why might this trade work? Both fan bases will hate it( that is usually a good starting point)

Why Vancouver does this trade? They need to do something in the room and it sounds like Horvat is on the wrong side of the room. Kane brings a headache but the first softens the blow if the buy him out in the off season

Why does San Jose do it? They lose Kane's headache and gain a two way forward who up to now was very reliable and dependable for an all around game

the 50%? no team will touch Kane at full price.

FLAME AWAY
This post reads like this:

We will trade our pile of crap for your best asset and somehow our fans will hate it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Then the Sharks should do so. Literally no team wants him, he most certainly has negative value - sure, we can debate the specifics of just how negative but asking for Horvat for him and a first is absurd imo. Van can just trade Horvat for a first and another player with positive value.

You want other teams to “take this into account if they want to make a deal” yet seem to be continuing to ignore the fact that they unequivocally do not want to make a deal.

They probably will. I don’t get why you’re making it seem like I’m the one that came up with this proposal. All I’ve said is that a team like the Sharks aren’t going to trade valuable assets to get rid of Kane. If retaining and taking back another team’s bad contract, which Horvat certainly isn’t, then there’s no deal to be had.

They need to take what into account? "Oh I know that the Sharks have publicly said they don't want this player anymore, in fact they don't want him so badly they would publicly admit they would pay half his cap hit just to not play for them anymore. But I suppose they could just carry nearly 6 million dollars a year in dead cap, so I should offer up my young cost controlled Captain instead of seeing the negative value"

You clearly are confusing me with someone else because I never said Vancouver should do this in any manner. Either that or you’re just making a general response because this post of yours isn’t an actual response to what I said.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
There seems not to be any tarnish to Horvat's trade value if he's being shipped out as a cancer

As an outsider, I'm not so sure it's him.

Miller is the antagonist and all the other frat boys are following. It was reported the rest are stuck somewhere in the middle.

Miller was a hothead in NY as well and had at least Hayes and Skjei with him. Unfortunately Miller isn't the productive hothead you want like a Messier or Chelios. He's more of a whiny hothead in the mould of Eichel. In other words, someone who wants to lead, has the drive, but poor execution.

Unfortunately Benning has torn it down how many times now, with Horvat as the center of the room? I would bet money Horvat is more of a casualty of management's bungling that actually being the problem himself.

Last edited:

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
There's zero doubt San Jose didn't try to retain salary in an effort to trade him. Teams just aren't interested.

Given the negatives, it will be interesting to see which GM, if any, is desperate enough to ignore the red flags and acquire him.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
No he didn't.
Although I don't have a sub to the Athletic, it was in an article there a day or two ago. I just get whatever bits and pieces that others post in threads, so maybe it was posted out of context, or not the followup questions suggesting he was kidding. But Miller seems more honest with his feelings, than joking about a hot topic in the Vancouver market.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
lol no way Vancouver does this. Good lord that's bad. Kane has massive negative value, no one wants that guy in a room.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
only on HF boards would a player who has consistently put up 65+ PPGe over the last 5 seasons have "negative value"

and you wonder why the people that matter call us "ass clowns"

There is a reason he was waived. If any of the 31 other franchises wanted him and he had positive value, he would have returned as much.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
My yearly trade offer to flamed by those who I flame

Kane @50% with a 1st to Vancouver for Horvat

Why might this trade work? Both fan bases will hate it( that is usually a good starting point)

Why Vancouver does this trade? They need to do something in the room and it sounds like Horvat is on the wrong side of the room. Kane brings a headache but the first softens the blow if the buy him out in the off season

Why does San Jose do it? They lose Kane's headache and gain a two way forward who up to now was very reliable and dependable for an all around game

the 50%? no team will touch Kane at full price.

FLAME AWAY
Habs fan here. All I can say is if you trade your captain for that head case of a circus distraction you should be banned from ever working in the NHL again!

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
As an outsider, I'm not so sure it's him.

Miller is the antagonist and all the other frat boys are following. It was reported the rest are stuck somewhere in the middle.

Miller was a hothead in NY as well and had at least Hayes and Skjei with him. Unfortunately Miller isn't the productive hothead you want like a Messier or Chelios. He's more of a whiny hothead in the mould of Eichel. In other words, someone who wants to lead, has the drive, but poor execution.

Unfortunately Benning has torn it down how many times now, with Horvat as the center of the room? I would bet money Horvat is more of a casualty of management's bungling that actually being the problem himself.
Thanks

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Although I don't have a sub to the Athletic, it was in an article there a day or two ago. I just get whatever bits and pieces that others post in threads, so maybe it was posted out of context, or not the followup questions suggesting he was kidding. But Miller seems more honest with his feelings, than joking about a hot topic in the Vancouver market.

He was joking, I read the quote, he started it by saying, there is no rift in the locker room

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad