Post-Game Talk: Horrifying Act of Violence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
The thing with Panarin is that it's not that he was playing terrible, or that he's just not a guy who can handle the playoffs.

He literally just stopped shooting. It's an easy fix and that's why it's frustrating.

He reminds me of the Devils last year against Carolina. They big-brained it trying to play this "playoffs style" when it would have been easy for them to just play their game.
He seemed to snap out of it in the 3rd period & it opened the ice up for the entire line.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Are we just going to ignore that Panarin literally went about 8 full periods (it may have been 8 full+, I don't know when he registered his final shot in game 1) with out a SOG?

You all act like people who were let down by his play want him to fail. Trust me when I say this we don't (or most of us don't.)

He had a 3 point series (after a 120 point season) and it's not like he was setting up chances left and right that were getting beefed. He wasn't doing a whole lot of anything outside of knocking Oshie into next season. He was still outscored by every other player in the top 6, and 2 of them don't get pp1 time.

I don't know why it's so hard to admit that he didn't have a good series while still having a good 3rd period in this game.
Good series - no. Deserved to be singled out after a monster season that he’s just had ? Absolutely not too. Again, go listen to Laviolette in the presser when asked about Panarin’s performance that should give you some context. 4 games is a tiny sample size to cry about why he’s 2 points shy of his regular season pace. and unlike last season while not scoring he hasn’t disappeared.

You try to portray yourself as someone who’s objective but you’re miserably failing with Panarin.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
you should be happy about both teams winning then
6659701_460s.jpg

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
going to be a lot harder against more legit teams. I think the team needs to play better if they want to go far. but a sweep is a good start players are going to be more fresh.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Panarin will be fine. He didn't have a great series, he made some bone headed plays for sure. But I see him do try to get into the middle, unlike the scared guy who stuck to the boards in past playoffs. I do see him skating hard. He's still cycling and moving around and not passively floating. I think he and Laf, who by the way was also quiet but seems to be escaping criticism, will have a better series likely against the smaller Carolina guys. Washington had big physical guys, which always give Panarin trouble.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
How many shot attempts did Panarin have though? Seems to me he was still shooting but all were getting blocked or he missed the net a few times

Anyway, kind of weird game. Rangers seemed to get sucked in by the caps at times to trap their forwards deep and the spring the caps for a fast break
Rangers also just seemed kind of too passive, cheating defensively a lot
And the prevent “ just try to flip the pick out instead of making a play and instead you turn it over” drove me nuts at the end

But it’s a sweep and I’m glad to see the end of that damn team

Reactions: romba

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Good series - no. Deserved to be singled out after a monster season that he’s just had ? Absolutely not too. Again, go listen to Laviolette in the presser when asked about Panarin’s performance that should give you some context. 4 games is a tiny sample size to cry about why he’s 2 points shy of his regular season pace. and unlike last season while not scoring he hasn’t disappeared.

You try to portray yourself as someone who’s objective but you’re miserably failing with Panarin.

If he had a track record opposite of not showing up in the playoffs as a Ranger, I'd agree with you.

Hate to break it to you, but a good chunk of this series was more of the same.

Lavi isn't going to bash his player in a series that they just swept. I'm sure if you asked him about Lindgren he would have praised him too (and he was f***ing terrible in the final 3 games.)

The 3rd period was MUCH better for Artemi but he absolutely disappeared in this series between game 1 and then. Thats what happens when you have 1 SOG in that time frame!

I don't know how much more objective you can be than that? Or are we supposed to just forgo the lack of production (both from a point and a chance generation standpoint) just because he laid out Oshie?

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Forget biz, he’s got his own problems being a maple leafs fan. (We all know how that’s working out for him) It was really annoying they kept showing that though.
It's all about the views for TNT and ESPN. They don't care about the actual product. TNT has Biz and ESPN has Slewban. Both clowns that embarrass themselves on a regular basis.

BTW, that PP in the end. WTF was that? They were so afraid to make mistake they almost gave up a goal.
There was about 2:40 left in the game. They weren't taking any chances. I don't blame them.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My honest thoughts on the series from an analytics standpoint:

It was a sweep and that's great.

It wasn't tremendous 5v5 and this could be a 2-2 series but that's hockey. Game 1 was great and game 4 was saved by a good third period. Game 3 was a turtle job and I still think game 2 sucked.

I'm not entirely surprised. NST does a great job tracking head-to-head matchups and Washington outchanced us all year. So did Philadelphia, Chicago, San Jose, Buffalo, Calgary, Ottawa, and Minnesota.

For whatever reason, we have a really weird response to bad teams.

On the flip side, we were very good this year against LA, Florida, New Jersey, Toronto, Winnipeg, and Boston. We lost bad twice to Vegas but arguably got goalied in both of them. These are all good analytics teams.

Carolina lit us up but they light everyone up. At this point, you just have to accept that Carolina is a weird team. They literally always win the analytics but they still have obvious flaws. Their inability to win certain series has demonstrated that despite the numbers. Similar to Boston vs Toronto, the same thing keeps happening despite what the numbers say.

That's not to say Carolina couldn't win but they're beatable and weirdly enough, I don't think we're gonna play any worse than we did against garbage ass Washington.

You also have to consider that Washington led like 3 minutes. Half the teams currently winning series are getting outshot and outchanced. It's really turtly this time of year and I guess it works because teams keep doing it.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Switching gears from the Panarin stuff. He needs to be better going forward and turning the focus to someone who was actually bad for almost the entire year and most of this series.

Rangers gave up 8 high danger chances in this game 5v5.

Ryan Lindgren was on the ice for 7 of them!

I've seen bad shit before, but thats next level.

For reference, Fox was on ice for 4 of the 8.

How the hell did Lindgren manage to squeak away for 3 more?

Wtp99

May 8, 2021
One thing I’ll say about tonight’s win is that they stayed the course, didn’t panic and took care of business. The Caps came out all brimstone and fire giving everything they had and Rangers withstood the fury. Washington really played hard in the second period and made the Rangers make mistake's. The third period was telling from the first face off that they wanted to put it away. Good job.
Rempe is now living rent free in the heads of the capitols. How does it feel Caps fans

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's all about the views for TNT and ESPN. They don't care about the actual product. TNT has Biz and ESPN has Slewban. Both clowns that embarrass themselves on a regular basis.

There was about 2:40 left in the game. They weren't taking any chances. I don't blame them.

Yeah, I understand but as a result it felt like they gave up a BETTER chance at a shorthanded goal than if they just played their game.

Reactions: Atax

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
My honest thoughts on the series from an analytics standpoint:

It was a sweep and that's great.

It wasn't tremendous 5v5 and this could be a 2-2 series but that's hockey. Game 1 was great and game 4 was saved by a good third period. Game 3 was a turtle job and I still think game 2 sucked.

I'm not entirely surprised. NST does a great job tracking head-to-head matchups and Washington outchanced us all year. So did Philadelphia, Chicago, San Jose, Buffalo, Calgary, Ottawa, and Minnesota.

For whatever reason, we have a really weird response to bad teams.

On the flip side, we were very good this year against LA, Florida, New Jersey, Toronto, Winnipeg, and Boston. We lost bad twice to Vegas but arguably got goalied in both of them. These are all good analytics teams.

Carolina lit us up but they light everyone up. At this point, you just have to accept that Carolina is a weird team. They literally always win the analytics but they still have obvious flaws. Their inability to win certain series has demonstrated that despite the numbers. Similar to Boston vs Toronto, the same thing keeps happening despite what the numbers say.

That's not to say Carolina couldn't win but they're beatable and weirdly enough, I don't think we're gonna play any worse than we did against garbage ass Washington.

You also have to consider that Washington led like 3 minutes. Half the teams currently winning series are getting outshot and outchanced. It's really turtly this time of year and I guess it works because teams keep doing it.

I have issues with NST's tracking honestly.

For instance, according to them the Kakko goal wasn't a HDCF.

It was basically a one timer right down the dick between the circles from about 10 feet out. We can talk about whether or not they earned that one but how the f*** is that not high danger? It's pretty much as High Danger as you can get.

Wtp99

May 8, 2021
Wilson only picks on players smaller than him. Guys that shouldn’t have to fight him. Rempe a Goodrow yelling at the caps bench was great. I have to think that the chains would have off for Rempe to take his pound of flesh.
Again Wilson hurts his team with stupid penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad