Toronto FC: HOME OPENER Sunday, May 10, 2015 AT 5PM Toronto FC Vs Houston On TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
I accidentally woke up too late and missed class so I got to watch the press conference lol

6 million is way too much considering his bad form but at the end of the day it's not my money it's MLSE's so who cares

Altidore will wear Hagglund's old #17. Hagglund will probably get a defender number like Henry's old #4

Also Bez said that there should be some major announcements coming in the next few weeks. Hopefully a good attacking midfielder, centerback and/or defensive midfielder

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
I accidentally woke up too late and missed class so I got to watch the press conference lol

6 million is way too much considering his bad form but at the end of the day it's not my money it's MLSE's so who cares

Altidore will wear Hagglund's old #17. Hagglund will probably get a defender number like Henry's old #4

Also Bez said that there should be some major announcements coming in the next few weeks. Hopefully a good attacking midfielder, centerback and/or defensive midfielder

We still need to upgrade are D and there is still a lot of roster moves to make we have to many bodies,

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 2m2 minutes ago Can confirm Altidore's deal with TFC is for five years. I'm also told Michael Bradley restructured part of his deal to make signing happen.

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 56s56 seconds ago Also told MLSE board had option to take cash from Defoe sell. Elected to re-invest in Altidore, with more moves in the pipeline.

So bradley took a pay cut....

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 2m2 minutes ago Can confirm Altidore's deal with TFC is for five years. I'm also told Michael Bradley restructured part of his deal to make signing happen.

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 56s56 seconds ago Also told MLSE board had option to take cash from Defoe sell. Elected to re-invest in Altidore, with more moves in the pipeline.

So bradley took a pay cut....

pretty big on Bradley's part. True leader of this team IMO, with the pay cut more money to put towards Giovinco hopefully.

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
Mitchell Tierney @mitchrtierney · 3m 3 minutes ago
Bez confirms Toronto looking an attacking midfielder: "But it doesn't have to be a 10". Could be a winger as well. #TFCLive

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
Canada plays Iceland in a friendly today at 4:30pm if anyone is interested in watching live streaming at thefirstrow.eu

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
wow that's a lot for a guy with 2 goals in the epl

obviously will do better in mls and like the connection with Bradley but wow

yes but Sunderland doesn't generate much offence at all. To put in perspective, he is 25 years old and he has 25 goals for Team U.S.A. that's history right there. He has 30 + goals in the Everdise as well. Lucky for us we don't play Chelsea, Man United, City etc... Jozy should score 20 easily.

Last edited:

Bill Waters*

Jul 19, 2013
Orillia, Ontario
yes but Sunderland doesn't generate much offence at all. To put in perspective, he is 25 years old and he has 25 goals for Team U.S.A. that's history right there. He has 30 + goals in the Everdise as well. Lucky for us we don't play Chelsea, Man United, City etc... Jozy should score 20 easily.

Pretty good strike rate, but it's against teams like Aruba, Jamaica, ooh I wanna take ya to Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mamma; if Defoe cant hit .500 pace then Jozy wont either.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Walked past Tim Lieweke in the lobby outside Real Sports Bar & Grill a few minutes ago. He was pacing back and forth on his phone. Said something about "Italy". Speculate away. :laugh:

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Walked past Tim Lieweke in the lobby outside Real Sports Bar & Grill a few minutes ago. He was pacing back and forth on his phone. Said something about "Italy". Speculate away. :laugh:

probably planning a vacation to italy.

it totally has nothing to do with giovinco. :sarcasm:

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Mitchell Tierney @mitchrtierney · 3m 3 minutes ago
Bez confirms Toronto looking an attacking midfielder: "But it doesn't have to be a 10". Could be a winger as well. #TFCLive

A winger would be good as well especially if were playing a formation with 2 strikers. But the Bradley part is confusing... why would he need to restructure his deal? DPs dont even count against the cap past 375k

edit: just saw this from Larson - "Leiweke to @TheTorontoSun: "The (MLSE) board has been extremely aggressive in giving us the resources for the next move or two." #TFC"

So it sounds like the midfielder coming in will be on big $$$ for sure even if its not Giovinco. Also with all the allocation money TFC has we could probably have a player or two brought in making 600-800k and buy them down under DP salary so they'd be making a lot of money but not count as a DP. Larson also said that they could have got just money for Defoe but decided to go for Altidore instead. MLSE is definitely splashing the money on TFC

Last edited:

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
We did get a lot of allocation this year from the Laba deal, Defoe deal, and Henry deal,
Buying someone cap hit down wont be a problem

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
I would love to see Hagglund have a big role this season for the team. Also, is there any options within the MLS that TFC can trade with another team for a solid CB?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Altidore is being paid HOW MUCH!?!?!?!

TFC really need to speak to me. I'm about as crap at footy as Altidore is, and I'll play for half that.

Ridiculous money

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Altidore if healthy and in the right environment can be a quality striker. He's a big man as well, a handful in the box and off set piece.

I really hope this works out.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The reports regarding Altidore's contract are inaccurate. This is an insightful article...

http://www.mykawartha.com/sports-story/5262419-leiweke-sees-a-new-future-for-toronto-fc/

Leiweke sees a new future for Toronto FC

Tim Leiweke has regrets.

Jermain Defoe got homesick after less than a year in North America and wanted out. Toronto FC failed to make the MLS playoffs as promised. Good people lost their jobs.

That was not part of the plan for the big-thinking president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment.

It meant, after some heavy lifting behind the scenes in the wake of Defoe, Leiweke has had to orchestrate yet another reboot of the MLS franchise.

"We're trying to get it right and we're not done," he told The Canadian Press on Friday after Jozy Altidore was unveiled at the Air Canada Centre. "I believe in the next week or two, people will feel very very good about what our ownership has committed to here. It's pretty remarkable."

Defoe, and the gymnastics Toronto had to do to get him here, are behind him. The 32-year-old striker is back in England with Sunderland.

Last edited by a moderator:

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
http://imgur.com/aSM4JMP

I literally work right next door. There's no reason for me to lie. This is my first post in this thread anyways. I don't even care about MLS.

haha nice man that's really awesome. When asked the question "if you could have lunch with one person in the world who would it be" I've always said Tim Leiweke. Huge sports fan, CEO, Entrepreneur type guy. Nice work location btw I work on king st W

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

It would be, however...

Altidore has a five-year deal worth less than the reported US$30 million, according to the MLSE boss. "That number not only it's not correct, it's not close."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad