Toronto FC: HOME OPENER Sunday, May 10, 2015 AT 5PM Toronto FC Vs Houston On TSN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Over here in the UK there is Strong indication that things went south for Dafoe in TO very early on. I believe in the previous thread (one of them) that Dafoe had told people he would be back in the UK in the Jan window

Yorkshire Leaf

Nov 13, 2014
The City of York
MLS and their on the go rule creation/changes are alive and well :laugh:

Good riddance Defoe, terrible attitude. I like Altidore, should do well in this physical league. I want to keep Gilberto.

The backline needs a lot of work still, and I'm personally not sold on Bendik...

If there was any player who was going a struggle to adapt abroad it was Defoe, very much a London boy and very much money orientated. His move just had "one last payday" written all over it. As for Altidore it is hard to tell, he was playing (or not) at a team who were struggling year on year and constantly changing managers. Always looked dangerous when he played but short on confidence.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Di Marzio (very reliable Italian journalist) is saying that TFC has offered Giovinco 6 million euros a year (8 million canadian $) and he hasnt decided yet. That would make him higher paid than any player in Serie A right now

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Di Marzio (very reliable Italian journalist) is saying that TFC has offered Giovinco 6 million euros a year (8 million canadian $) and he hasnt decided yet. That would make him higher paid than any player in Serie A right now

TFC are moving to fast. Fill out the roster first. As of today, Colin freaking Warner is in the starting lineup. We don't have a CB either. Mark Bloom is our RB. Mark Bloom is terrible as soccer. Try and fill out the roster and then add this type of player. I can't argue with going out and getting a great talent, but if you don't have the required supporting cast it's a waste of time. I admittley want GIO (obviously) I just don't want to watch Oduro, Jackon, Warner on this team anymore. It's a little weird having a guy making 8 million play on the same team as someone earning 80 k

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
As for Altidore it is hard to tell, he was playing (or not) at a team who were struggling year on year and constantly changing managers. Always looked dangerous when he played but short on confidence.

Figured as much. Altidore's size should give this team a different offensive strategy. Have we even had a capable big striker since Dichio? I'm hoping TFC can keep Gilberto as well, because he finally got things going in the 2nd half of last season.

As for Giovinco, agreed. Put a $40K player next to an $8M player, and you'll see frustration grow because they're at two totally different levels of play!

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I am not a soccer fan at all, but I am still curious: why did he bail so fast? Is he just a POS?

Defoe is 14th ALL time in English Premier league scoring. It's like, Rich Nash going to the Finish hockey league to play for some dysfunctional organization, where the team is poor and the viewership is horrible. TFC were 2nd in paid attendance, but the stadium was often quite empty, TV ratings were terrible, and the overall team was quite awful. I'm a huge TFC fan, but they have a history of being pretty much terrible at everything. While i'm optimistic about our future, it takes a certain type of person to want to be apart of this moving forward. Bradley is American and really seems to be ok with it, Defoe was not. I can't blame a guy for wanting to play at the highest level. I respect him as a player and I'm happy he gave us some exposure on the international stage. He gave it a shot, it wasn't for him and he left. I don't see a problem with it. We will move forward and we will be better for it.

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
Right now upfront we have Dike, Findley Altidore, Moore, Gilberto, And Hamilton
I could see them trading Moore or Dike

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
I think Altidore will do well with Bradley. They seem to be on the same page.

Giovinco would be a wild card like Defoe. I dont think he will come. I personally can see how hard it would be to go from this, from a continent where soccer passion is off the charts to playing at BMO field.

d0a42699-b745-4faf-aef8-3fbc21b205df.jpg

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Besides Giovinco, I heard that they were looking at another big name that could slot in in the attacking mid or wing position.

Any guesses on who this might be?

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
Besides Giovinco, I heard that they were looking at another big name that could slot in in the attacking mid or wing position.

Cristiano Ronaldo:sarcasm: lol all jokes aside maybe they should target someone from the russian league because of the recent issues with political and economic instability. Maybe someone like Denisov or Boussoufa?

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto

Bit sure right now, there are not any new rumors since the altidore signing but ill try and keep you informed,

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Cristiano Ronaldo:sarcasm: lol all jokes aside maybe they should target someone from the russian league because of the recent issues with political and economic instability. Maybe someone like Denisov or Boussoufa?

Boussoufa would be an amazing addition, Denisov is a much more defensive player is he not?

Bit sure right now, there are not any new rumors since the altidore signing but ill try and keep you informed,

Thanks, look forward to the updates

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013

It's hard to know really when things can change so quickly. They've said TFC's attacking midfielder targets were South Americans for months and then all of a sudden they're close with Giovinco. Same thing with Altidore, they said they had a target in mind to replace Defoe last year but then all of a sudden Sunderland comes in with a swap offer with Altidore and they take that instead.

People keep saying TFC will make 3-4 moves before the season starts. I think a CB from Europe is guaranteed, a big name attacking midfielder is guaranteed, then it sounds like TFC are also going to bring in a winger and then i'm not sure what other players they'd be targeting.

The only positions we know TFC wont sign/trade for anyone in are goalkeeper and left back

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

We've been linked to Bryan Ruiz, Costa Rica international. Currently with Fulham I believe.

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
Molinaro saying Giovinco is done deal!
To be announced next week!

@JohnMolinaro: Toronto FC to announce Sebastian Giovinco as its newest player early next week, Sportsnet has learned. Story to follow on Sportsnet.ca #TFC

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
This is bigger then Lampard, Gerrard... prime player that JUST scored 2 goals for Juventus like 2 days ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad