HOH Top 60 Goaltenders of All Time (2024 Edition) - Round 2, Vote 3

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Count me among the Vasilevskiy supporters as well. He has everything that people look for in projects like these- contemporary praise? check. dominance relative to peers? check. talent? check. awards? check. winner? check. You might put varying degrees of weight on each those categories, but Vasilevskiy looks good in ALL of them.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Or if we're going to credit Lundqvist for his success with middling offensive talent in this round, I hope Quick receives the same consideration when his name eventually comes up for his two cups with, as I mentioned, clubs that finished 25th and 29th in regular season GF.
We could, but that would be wrong.

Regular season GF is misleading. I like Quick, but in the playoffs the 2014 Kings were #1 in the league in GF per game.

In 2012, they were 3rd, behind Philly and Pittsburgh who decided to spend their first round trying play video game hockey.

The LA Kings gave Quick tons of goal support, lots of time playing with a lead, and a much larger margin of error. The degree of difficulty was much lower because during their Cup runs the Kings scored like they were an offensive powerhouse, regular season results be damned.

Had Quick received 2.58 GFG (11 of 16) like Lundqvist, the 14 Kings aren’t going anywhere.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
In other words, Vasy is 10th in GAA over that time, his composite backups are 72nd. Tied for 6th in save pct. but his backups would be dead last in the NHL (84th).
Damn, I knew there had been a big disparity down here in Vasy vs backups but would not have guessed those backups would be literally bottom of the barrel.

Big picture wise, does his run of shutouts in series clinching games do anything for anybody or just a neat little bit of trivia? At least one 1-0 was in there.
Edit: And don’t forget the currently unbeatable 18 wins in a single playoffs, according to NHL stat keeping…lol

Last edited:

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
As people are voting, I'd like to point out that Bernie Parent won the Vezina (Low GA definition) in 74 and 75 while facing an extra 2 PP chances against per game.

He won 47 games in regulation. His .932/1.89 stat line in 1974 was accomplished with non-Parent Flyers (Bobby Taylor) posting an .872/4.26.

Although like Vasy, perhaps his backup just wasn't very good. Parent didn't outperform Stephenson by that much. Same with Vasilevskiy and ancient Brian Elliott.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
I'd also like to point that out ^ (the first paragraph)

He also was one of the few goalies to be consistently around the Final without a #1 PMD.

Stephenson got them to the '76 Final the next year, FWIW. I'm gonna zip my lips of the talent evaluation of these backups though haha

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'd also like to point that out ^ (the first paragraph)

He also was one of the few goalies to be consistently around the Final without a #1 PMD.

Stephenson got them to the '76 Final the next year, FWIW. I'm gonna zip my lips of the talent evaluation of these backups though haha
You should have made a Parent video instead of watching the Penguins get walloped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad