HOH Top 60 Goaltenders of All Time (2024 Edition) - Round 2, Vote 2

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
The idea of era bunching is the most salient point. Perhaps the way to disband it is to find parallels for goalies across eras. For example, when I read of the intelligent demeanor and calm play of Vezina, my mind links him with Plante. A pair of great but flawed goaltenders like Dryden and Durnan seem a match. Brimsek seems really excellent, a goalie's goalie, in a sphere with Kiprusoff, Lundqvist, Price...

???
This is a great point. It's easier said than done (and I realize I'm also saying this as a non participant) but the best to avoid this pitfall would be to find-cross era similarities. Otherwise it's too easy to simply compare peers.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
You don't think things like the technological advancement in sticks have made the goalies' jobs harder? General improvement in the average NHLer?

I don't think we would be ranking them if this was the case.
Well, why would you abandon the "versus peers" part of your thought process for technology? Stick got whippier. Pads got bigger and more adaptable to the prevailing style. Goalies got more mobile with advances in skate technology, pads being lighter but still protective, not absorbing water, etc.

If goalie pads didn't advance AND shooters could shoot like this now, every game would be 18-16. Save percentage might actually matter haha

Goalies stop ~98% of untipped, unscreened shots. I think they're doing just fine...

##

I don't understand your response for the second point, respectfully.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Well, why would you abandon the "versus peers" part of your thought process for technology? Stick got whippier. Pads got bigger and more adaptable to the prevailing style. Goalies got more mobile with advances in skate technology, pads being lighter but still protective, not absorbing water, etc.
I think what I said is consistent with my arguments- just because the goalie position gets easier or harder doesn’t mean the goalies should be considered better or worse. I judge them by relative to their peers first and foremost.

If goalie pads didn't advance AND shooters could shoot like this now, every game would be 18-16. Save percentage might actually matter haha

Goalies stop ~98% of untipped, unscreened shots. I think they're doing just fine...
I guess today’s skaters aren’t that great then, since they can’t beat the goalies cleanly.
##

I don't understand your response for the second point, respectfully.
If all that matters is representation, then why are we ranking them? We should just put out an unranked list of names saying these 60- in some order- are the 60 greatest of all time.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
If all that matters is representation, then why are we ranking them? We should just put out an unranked list of names saying these 60- in some order- are the 60 greatest of all time.
Well, that's your claim, right? That every era needs to be represented - more or less. "No era should be ignored" to paraphrase.

So instead of Vezina being 9th overall, can't his era be represented by him at 27th?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad