HOH Top 60 Goaltenders of All Time (2024 Edition) - Round 2, Vote 1

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
He was 41 years old in 2006, had a 28-10-4 season with a great .925 season in Ottawa.

He came back the next season in Detroit to be 3rd in all-star voting at age 42.

And the NHL's all-time career save percentage leader is being labelled "not reliable" because of a MOMENT in Ottawa.

A Moment in Ottawa, ... sounds like the title of a Harlequin.

More accurate would be a month in Ottawa.

I was there. I know how good he was when he played. You don't need to convince me. And I also know that the team was expecting him back at any time for two months, and their season ended in the second round with him still refusing to play a game.

I'm not here to say Hasek deserves all the the blame for the loss. GM John Muckler (yes, Muckler again) and coach Bryan Murray should have had a better backup goaltender, should have managed Hasek's workload better, and should have known that Hasek might just decide he couldn't play. But it says something that after the playoffs, the Sens players did not want Hasek back the following year. They were furious that he refused to play while the team lost.

Reactions: seventieslord

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Wait Gretzky...

I've never heard a negative word about him (other than hit-related; absorbed & delivered).

Is there a very public example of Gretzky poor play?

*crickets*

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
So just ignoring when they led. Once in 16 years, and then 3 times in 4 years (missing the playoffs all 3 years, so not juggernaut NJ.)

22 teams don't enter into it.

St Louis 5
Detroit 4
New Jersey 4
Dallas 2
Boston 2
Edmonton 1
San Jose 1
Chicago 1

Lowest seasons

STL 1999-00 22.1
STL 2001-02 22.5
STL 1998-99 22.8
DAL 1997-98 22.8
PHI 1998-99 22.9
NJD 2012-13 23.1
The 22 teams who never had the fewest SOGA/GP are certainly part of this data set you're referring to. This is just abuse of statistics, and it's misleading. It is to make it sound like New Jersey wasn't actually elite at shot suppression, when they actually were.

Over the course of those 20 seasons, the Devils had the fewest shots against per game. Reducing it to how many times they - in a 30-team league - were outright last in shots against, is IMO deliberately phrased to obscure that.

If someone made the following point:

"You think the Devils were so good at winning cups? Well, consider this: From 1995 through 2002-03, a span of nine seasons, guess how many cups they won. Just three. 1995, 2000, and 2003. That's all."

...I'd be rightfully called out. Because three in 9 seasons is actually a f***ton, and that means the NHL's other 29 teams won the other six between them.

Reactions: MadArcand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad