HOH Top 60 Goaltenders of All Time (2024 Edition) - Preliminary Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How many goalies should make the final list?

• Final list of 60, Round 1 list submission of 80

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • Final list of 80, Round 1 list submission of 100

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Was looking into something else, and just happened to stumble upon this little tidbit of mild interest...

The Hockey News - Mar 16 1949 said:
That Durnan’s feat is far greater than Connell’s goes without saying. If a goaler in the roaring 20’s was ever caught in an avalanche of rubber, as Durnan was during his last game in Boston, he would have hung up his skates forever. In those days they didn’t have to contend with four and five-man rushes, scrambles and screen shots as they do today. Although it is often boasted that goalers in the old days used to stop some 50 or 60 pucks per game, to this day nobody knows what constituted a shot on the net in those hectic games.

Frank Carlin, a pretty good hockey player in his day, and now the dean of amateur coaches in Canada, was talking about Durnan’s feat and comparing him with goalers of his day.

“I doubt very much that goalers of my time could stand up to the rubber that’s shot at goalees of today,” said Carlin, who now coaches the Montreal Royals. “In my day a defenseman never moved off his blueline to make rushes as they do today. All the goalers had to do was stand in their net and catch pucks and Durnan could do that anytime. No sir, a goaler today gets a lot more work than those oldies ever got.

That's exactly what I was saying recently...right down to "what do these guys think a shot is?"

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Yes, that's correct! As far as I'm aware, Gardiner is the only goalie to captain a Stanley Cup winning team.
I'm not fact checking this, but just by dumb luck, I came across this in THN and thought I'd pass it along as it seems somewhat in your wheelhouse...

The Hockey News - Jan 21 1948 said:
(Fan question) I’d like to ask you a question. Has there ever been any goal-keeper who has acted as a captain of an N.H.L. team. Since the captain is the only one who can argue with the referee and since the goalkeeper is on the ice ’during the entire 60 minutes of play, he has a better chance to see and discuss the plays with the official.

Eddie Adamow Winnipeg, Man.

(The late Charlie Gardiner was captain of the Chicago Black Hawks, and Bill Durnan is alternate captain of the Canadieus. Chuck Rayner was captain of the Rangers and Sugar Jim Henry has replaced him at the post now.)

Reactions: nabby12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad