HOH 2022-23 Project: Top-60 Pre-Merger Players of All-Time Pre-Discussion thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I just finished reading Empire of Ice. The Rise and Fall of the Pacific Coast Hockey Association, 1911-1926. Great read and some really interesting context into the development of pro hockey in western Canada and the PCHA/NHA rivalry.

A takeaway for me is the huge reverence the author has for Cyclone Taylor, who he views as the clear best PCHA player.
If you're hard up for cash, now you can put it up for sale.

I bought it when it came out, at regular price of course, and then never had a reason to search for it again, but @Habsfan18 noticed that prices on this book were way out of control on the used market.

I just saw this.
Never received an invite (despite my 18 years of hockey history posts - and clear bias for pre-O6 hockey).

Is it too late to join?

I'd need time to put together a list. But I have heaps of hours this coming Tuesday!

Let me know.

You received an invite along with everyone else. I just checked my mass PMs and you were included.

Get your list in! You are highly valued and we will wait as long as we have to, but let's not let that be TOO long, ok?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Give me until Tuesday at noon eastern to provide a list. I will. Committed.
no worries. I am sure that out of everyone else I'm counting on, at least one or two will take till Monday or Tuesday, then there's all the time it takes to compile and the back-and-forth that screening takes. It'll be alright.

(in case anyone is wondering, I will be using the rest of the lists as a guide for screening, so if one list is missing a player that is on every other list between 45 and 65, I will defintely be reaching out to make sure it was not an oversight. There will surely also be instances of ineligible players included: a Morenz here, a Hainsworth or Cook there)

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
If you're hard up for cash, now you can put it up for sale.

I bought it when it came out, at regular price of course, and then never had a reason to search for it again, but @Habsfan18 noticed that prices on this book were way out of control on the used market.
I actually stumbled upon it at the central library. They usually have a hockey history book in the featured section and I couldn't resist.

Nighbor is another player who gets really high praise, as do Lehman and Vezina. Johnson and Pitre too.

The author only mentions NHA players in the context of the Cup finals, but Cleghorn and Lalonde don't get the level of praise I expected.

I'm also reminded of just how popular early hockey was. Attendance of 4-6,000 was common, with Montreal having even more with their bigger arena. Vancouver having 9000 for Cup games!

I've said it before, but it's insane to me that Taylor regularly played in front of larger crowds than Coyotes do at home.

Last edited:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Unfortuantely I'm not going to be able to participate in the project. I feel bad, as I was one of the ones who pushed for it.

This is largely based on a conversation I had with my wife, where I've come to the realization that, at least during the first 4-6 months of the year, I need to make fewer commitments to things outside of work and family. Unfortuantely this project is one of those things. I'll still contribute what I can, but I don't want to commit to being a voter if I'm not going to have the time/energy to do it properly. (Nor have I been able to even start my list).

One thing that I'd like to offer - in case money is an obstacle for anyone doing research, I'll reimburse someone $50 (Canadian) if they buy a book, newspaper subscription, etc that's used for research in this project. If more than one person is interested, I'll split the amount. Send me the invoice/receipt/etc and I'll send an e-transfer if you're in Canada (I think I can do a PayPal transfer otherwise).

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I just finished reading Empire of Ice. The Rise and Fall of the Pacific Coast Hockey Association, 1911-1926. Great read and some really interesting context into the development of pro hockey in western Canada and the PCHA/NHA rivalry.

A takeaway for me is the huge reverence the author has for Cyclone Taylor, who he views as the clear best PCHA player.

My favorite hockey history book by far.

It is, but I may have underestimated the gap. Author Bowlsby talks of Taylor as in a category of his own, like a Gretzky or Orr instead of a Crosby or Jagr.

Taylor truly was a complete alien in the PCHA, his offensive dominance against his peers is staggering.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Yeah, Empire of Ice is required reading if you can find a copy. Bowlsby is incredible. Easily one of my favorite hockey books. I couldn’t believe the online prices when I randomly searched a few months back. Super glad I bought my copy on amazon when I did. Pretty sure it was 2013 or so, and I paid like $20. It’s super in-depth.

Cheapest copy on the internet is $300 USD or $400 CAD. So, yeah..

Last edited:

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Yeah, Empire of Ice is required reading if you can find a copy. Bowlsby is incredible. Easily one of my favorite hockey books. I couldn’t believe the online prices when I randomly searched a few months back. Super glad I bought my copy on amazon when I did. Pretty sure it was 2013 or so, and I paid like $20. It’s super in-depth.

Cheapest copy on the internet is $300 USD or $400 CAD. So, yeah..

That's wild. I bought it when it came out as well (thanks to SIHR for their list of titles; never would have seen it otherwise). Such a valuable resource.

Reactions: Habsfan18

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Combining my rambling with your take, it's Hainsworth, Oliver, Dutton and Cooper that need discussion.

Oliver having 5 of his best 7 seasons before 1926 should be pretty clear cut.

Cooper has 6 of his best 7 seasons before 1926 in my opinion. It is by no means 100% clear cut. His offensive exploits in the OHA are judged by simple VsX equivalencies that I did a few years ago, a deliberate fudge that was meant to put only the most elite OHA players on equal footing with star NHL forwards. This was logical because that's exactly what players of this caliber later became.

Dutton is not as tough as Hainsworth, but he's tough. Because 6 vs. 10 looks pretty clear cut, but when was he really at his best? We sure can't say based on point totals, that's not fair to do for a defenseman. He was a 1st team WCHL all-star in 1922, 1924 and 1925. BUT, he did finish 5th, 7th and 9th in NHL defensemen all-star voting (1931, 1932, 1934) and was 4th, 5th & 7th in Hart voting (1931, 1932, 1936). Spotty recording of unofficial GM-named all-star teams in 27, 28, 29 & 30 don't seem to mention him but it's hard to say how much support he had. Given what we know about him in 1922-1925 and 1931-1936, he was probably pretty well-regarded. Based on this he seems clearly not a pre-merger player. He shows up in award voting for a span of six NHL years, even if not every single year, and lack of evidence may be the only reason he doesn't show up more prior to that.

Don't forget Dhyan Chand.

One of hockey's greatest ever. Over a billion people know it!

*Living in Asia, life is different*

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
1901 CAHL Season

TeamWinsLossesTiesGoals ForGoals Against
Ottawa HC7013320
Montreal Victorias4314532
Montreal Shamrocks4403025
Montreal HC35027 or 2837
Quebec HC1702143 or 44

Note: It looks like there is an error in the Wikipedia article for this season. Primary sources indicate that Montreal HC beat Quebec HC 7-3 or 6-3 on 12 January 1901, whereas the Wiki article states that this game took place on 21 January 1901. If I had to guess (I don’t, but I will), the person who wrote the article flipped the numbers (12 and 21).

Skater Stats
NameTeamPositionGoalsAssistsPoints
BowieVictoriasForward15116
Campbell*Montreal HCForward8311
HenryOttawa HCRW628
FarrellShamrocksForward617
B. StuartQuebec HCForward617
Liffiton**Montreal HCForward606
TriheyShamrocksForward516
GillespieQuebec HCForward426
SixsmithOttawa HCCentre505
J. SmithOttawa HCLW505
E. StuartVictoriasForward505
WestwickOttawa HCBC (Rover)415
HoganQuebec HCForward404
RogerOttawa HCCentre314
RussellVictoriasForward314
H. StuartQuebec HCCover134
ChristmasMontreal HCForward303
LockeVictoriasForward303
ScanlanShamrocksForward303
WallShamrocksCover303
BoonMontreal HCCover213
YuileVictoriasCover213
BrannenShamrocksForward202
LemesurierQuebec HCForward112
PulfordOttawa HCPoint112
LeSueurQuebec HCForward101
StanleyQuebec HCForward101
VallanceMontreal HCForward101
HowardMontreal HCForward011
TanseyShamrocksPoint011
Maybe LiffitonMontreal HCForward011
Possibly CampbellMontreal HCForward011
Bowie or RussellVictoriasN/A12012
Boon or LiffitonMontreal HCN/A213
Boon or ChristmasMontreal HCN/A101
Bowie or StuartVictoriasN/A101
Brannen, Farrell, or TriheyShamrocksN/A101
Brown or LiffitonMontreal HCN/A101
Campbell or SmithMontreal HCN/A101
Cummings or FarrellShamrocksN/A101
Duval or HenryOttawa HCN/A101
Gillespie or B. StuartQuebec HCN/A101
Henry or SixsmithOttawa HCN/A101
Locke or StuartVictoriasN/A101
Roger or WestwickOttawa HCN/A101
Scanlan or TriheyShamrocksN/A101
Sixsmith or SmithOttawa HCN/A101
Sixsmith or WestwickOttawa HCN/A101
Smith or VallanceMontreal HCN/A101
B. or H. StuartQuebec HCN/A101
Gillespie or H. StuartQuebec HCN/A011
UNKShamrocksN/A707
UNKVictoriasN/A202
UNKOttawa HCN/A101
UNKQuebec HCN/A101
* Campbell may have had one more goal, as one source had him scoring a goal that other sources did not register at all during game #9 on 26 January.

** Liffiton almost certainly had at least one more point, as he was credited with either the goal or an assist on the same goal during game #9 on 26 January.

Goalie Stats
NameTeamGames PlayedGoals AllowedGAA
ChittickOttawa100.00
LockerbyVictorias122.00
HuttonOttawa7202.86
Lockerby and MunroVictorias133.00
McKennaShamrocks8253.13
O’MearaQuebec144.00
MunroVictorias6274.50
NicholsonMontreal HC8374.63
StockingQuebec HC739 or 405.57 or 5.71

Game #1: Quebec HC vs Ottawa HC, 5 January 1901
Duval, McGee (not that one, his older brother), and H. Stuart (who, along with his brother, are now playing for Quebec) were the “most noticeable” players in the first game, with the lifting of Duval and McGee getting attention. Gillespie and Stuart are stopped a couple times. Henry makes some nice passes to Smith, but Stocking is there. Ottawa finally draws first blood, J. Smith scoring off a pass from Henry. The two combined for the second goal as well, Henry passing to Smith, Smith taking a shot that Stocking stops, but then putting in the rebound. Quebec gets on the board when Bruce Stuart does the needful on a rush, but Westwick answers for Ottawa. The brothers Stuart combine to respond for Quebec, Bruce doing the scoring. Henry scores on a nice run, and the first half ends 4-2 in favor of Ottawa. Quebec puts some pressure on Ottawa after the half, but Hutton is playing well. J. Smith scores again for Ottawa. Smith and Gillespie exchange pleasantries.Hogan scores for Quebec, then Gillespie brings Quebec within one, but time expires before the comeback could be completed. Hutton’s play and “coolness” at the end of the game was praised.

A Montreal paper wrote: “The work of Stocking, in goal for Quebec, was the feature of the play, and Hod. Stewart at cover and Gillespie on the forward line did splendid work. For Ottawa, Duval, Jack Smith, Henry, and Roger did the best play”

Another Montreal paper reported: “Quebec were considerably strengthened by the Stuart boys, who were considered top-notchers when they played in Ottawa”

An Ottawa paper wrote: “The Ottawa defence played for the most part pretty steadily and made few mistakes. Their lifting of the puck was a matter in which they excelled, and their ability to handle themselves in tight corners, besides their general all round relieving of the goal, was quite noticeable. Duval carried off the honor and seemed always to be in the place where he could do the most good. Jim McGee, who occupied Harvey Pulford’s regular position at point and acted as captain, made a creditable showing at the post. The forwards held their own in fine style and all of them got in lots of shots. In running down the ice with the puck they could generally outdistance the visitors. Jack Smith played a telling game, being able to act aggressively and knowing well how to watch his cover. It was he who put in the most of the shots that counted. Henry likewise played in an effective manner. The only systematic bit of work at all among the Ottawas was practically what was done in passes between Henry and Smith from right to left wing. Westwick and Roger did their best”

“The defence work of the Quebec men was of a somewhat meagre order. Not only were they on the slow side in disposing of the rubber, but they were unable to lift the puck well and relieved with poor judgment. It appeared to be a case with them of getting rid of the puck at all events and not minding where they put it. Stocking in goal, however, helped to keep the score down by his sharp work”

“Stanley and Gillespie were probably the best among the forwards. ‘Hod’ and Bruce Stuart, who were on the Ottawa team last winter, played with the Quebecers, the former being at cover point and acting as captain, and the latter on the forward line”

“Duval can play with the best of them at cover point”

“Jack Smith plays much in the same style as his brother Alf”

“Henry is as fast as ever”

“The Stuart brothers would like Quebec to have won”

“Stocking’s work in goal could not be improved upon”

Final Score: 5-4 Ottawa HC

Rosters
Quebec: Stocking in goal, Cahill at point, H. Stuart at cover, Hogan at LW, Bruce Stuart at Centre, Gillespie at Behind Centre, and Stanley at RW

Ottawa: Hutton in goal, J. McGee at point, Duval at cover, J. Smith at LW, Roger at Centre, Westwick at Behind Centre, and Henry at RW

TeamGoal ScorerAssistAssist
OttawaJ. SmithHenryN/A
OttawaJ. SmithHenryN/A
QuebecB. StuartN/AN/A
OttawaWestwickN/AN/A
QuebecB. StuartH. StuartN/A
OttawaHenryN/AN/A
OttawaJ. SmithN/AN/A
QuebecHoganN/AN/A
QuebecGillespieN/AN/A

Game #2: Montreal HC vs Montreal Victorias, 5 January 1901
Suart scores the first of the game, taking the puck after Boon was checked. Boon gets it back in the next game, however, scoring via a lift. During the following game, Christmas and Liffiton get the puck into Victoria territory, Howard gets the puck and passes to Christmas, who scores. Stuart gets the equalizer for the Vics. Bowie scores the final goal of the match.

A Montreal paper wrote: “Yuile, for instance, played a star game and will be very dangerous when his support is more to the point. Boone and Nicholson also distinguished themselves”

Another Montreal paper reported: “Yuile and Strachan showed up to advantage under the circumstances, though it must be said that they were right on the shot when the rubber was in evidence. Yuile was too anxious to get the puck away, and often disposed of it with a lift, when a run could have been of advantage. Montreal’s defence showed similar faults, though not to such an extent. Boon is willing to take a chance and so is Harry Smith. But they do not do so as often as they might”

“Bowie worked harder than any man on the ice. He made a number of rattling runs. In the second half he passed through the Montreal defence several times, and only splendid goal keeping on NIcholson’s part saved a larger score. Blair Russell showed to advantage and so did Stuart. Locke was pretty well winded in the the end of the game, and evidently wants more practice”

“Montreal’s forwards put in a lot of hard work, but their poor shooting rendered it rather ineffective. Smith played a good game and Howard does not appear to have lost anything after a season’s absence from the ice”

Final Score: 3-2 Victorias

Rosters
Montreal HC: Nicholson in goal, H. Smith at point, Boon at cover, Christmas, Dr. Smith, Liffitron, and Howard at forward

Victorias: Munro in goal, Strachan at point, Yuile at cover, Bowie, Russell, Locke, and E. Stuart at forward

VictoriasStuartN/AN/A
Montreal HCBoonN/AN/A
Montreal HCChristmasHowardN/A
VictoriasStuartN/AN/A
VictoriasBowieN/AN/A

Game #3: Ottawa HC vs Montreal Shamrocks, 12 January 1901
Ottawa dominates the start of the game, and Sixsmith scores the first of the match after a pass from Westwick. Ottawa scores the next one as well, Smith leading a rush and Henry scoring. Brannen gets the Shamrocks on the board after a “splendid rush”. Trihey then scores after “dodging through the whole defence”. Sixsmith gives Ottawa the lead. Hutton makes a couple big saves. Westwick “made one of his sudden dives” and got the insurance goal.

A Montreal paper wrote: “The Shamrock defence showed a great deal of strength. It had to, else the score would have been much larger, for the puck spent most of its time in Shamrock territory, and Tansey and McKenna had a very busy time of it. The Ottawa defence was very steady and few shots got past Pulford; Duval assisted the forward line considerably and played with a roving commission all over the ice. When the rubber got past Pulford, Hutton was equal to the occasion and they were hard one he had to stop. When the Shamrocks get to shooting they are very dangerous, particularly Trihey; but they seldom got the opportunity on Saturday. When they did, it was very hot work for the goal keeper”

“One player on the Shamrock line played up to his usual good form, and that was Trihey. The others seemed to be too closely covered to do effective work. On the Ottawa side every man played a star game; but there was one young player who turned out to be a veritable surprise. That was Sexsmith. It was his first senior match, but he played like a veteran”

Another Montreal paper reported: “The work of the team was a great disappointment. The magnificent forward line was not the same dashing quartette we have come to know so well. Scanlan was weak, Trihey was off colour, Farrel was erratic, Brannen was the only one attending to business, and he played a rattling game”

“Some excuse may be made for Trihey. The genial captain on Friday completed successfully a severe series of examinations for admission to practice law, and he was in anything but tip-top shape. Then Scanlan is probably a bit nervous since his football accident, though he appeared to be able to skate with the best of them. The work of the defence was certainlyas poor as that of the forwards, so that no one section can be blamed for the affair. Wall seemed to be top-heavy, and landed on the ice rather frequently, and Frank antsy was just as unfortunate. Jim McKenna’s work was extremely meritorious under the circumstances”

“Hutton played a remarkably good game in goal. He made any amount of clever stops”

An Ottawa paper wrote: “The Shamrock team seemed to be dazzled by the swift work of the Ottawas. Not one of them except Trihey showed up to the old-time form of last season. He played a hard game, and did some marvelous work, especially when it was taken into consideration that he was not well supported. Dr. Brannen, who was brought to Montreal on purpose to help his old team out, showed bad form and was a disappointment. Farrell and Scanlon, also of the rush line, found themselves held down so hard that they could not begin to get away”

“The Ottawa forwards played all around the Shamrocks. Westwick played fox and goose with Brannen and Farrel, while Sixsmith and ‘Chic’ Henry were streaks of lightning. J. Smith played all over Scanlon”

“Had it not been for the marvellous stopping ability of the Shamrock goal man, McKenna, the Ottawas would have piled up a larger score. Bouse Hutton down at Ottawa’s end was at his old tricks flirting with the pretty girls, while Harvey Pulford could hardly keep warm”

“It was Pulford’s first game this season, but he can play hockey yet”

“Duval is a good cover point man, but he should be a little more careful when he tries to get even with an opponent”

“Sixsmith is a stayer. He and the famous ‘Chic’ were the stars of the game”

“Of course every one knows what the boy with the flowing locks, Westwick, can do. He is an old reliable”

“Bouse Hutton takes things very cool and when things are not coming his way stands with a merry twinkle in his eye and a sweet smile for some one in the front seats”

Another Ottawa paper reported: “Harry Trihey was on the only one of the forwards who showed up in his old-time form. He played a hard, fast and effective game, and his beautiful stick-handling won one game and was largely responsible for the other. Brannen was a disappointment and Harry Westwick found no difficulty in handling Arthur Farrell. Sixsmith, whose first senior match it was, pinned Scanlan down closely”

Final Score: 4-2 Ottawa HC

Rosters
Ottawa: Hutton in goal, Pulford at point, Duval at cover, Westwick, Sixsmith, J. Smith, and Henry at forward

Shamrocks: McKenna in goal, Tansey at point, Wall at cover, Brennan, Farrell, Scanlan, and Trihey at forward

OttawaSixsmithWestwickN/A
OttawaHenryN/AN/A
ShamrocksBrannenN/AN/A
ShamrocksTriheyN/AN/A
OttawaSixsmithN/AN/A
OttawaWestwickN/AN/A

Game #4: Montreal HC vs Quebec HC, 12 January 1901
Hod Stuart strikes first. One of the Stuart brothers (it differs based on the source) scores the next one shortly afterwards. Bruce Stuart then extends the Quebec lead to three. Quebec has some penalty trouble here, playing 5 on 7 for a while, but Scott, Gillespie, and Bruce Stuart keep them in the game. The half ends. Lorne Campbell opens the scoring for Montreal in the second half. Boon or Liffiton scores a short time later. The next goal isn’t in every source, but Campbell may have scored. Then Christmas scores on a pass from Campbell. Boon scores after a pass from Campbell. Boon or Christmas gets the next one, then Boon or Liffiton gets the last of the match.

A Montreal paper reported: “... neither Scott nor Cahill showed anything like their old form. Stocking was away off like every other member of the team”

“Nicholson had a big share in Montreal’s victory and Boone played a faultless game while Lorne Campbell graduated in senior ranks with flying colours, being directly or indirectly responsible for a majority of the goals”

Final Score: 7-3 or 6-3 Montreal HC

Rosters
Montreal HC: Nicholson in goal, H. Smith at point, Boon at cover, Campbell, Christmas, Brown (replaced by Liffiton after an injury), and G. Smith at forward

Quebec: Stocking in goal, Cahill at point, Scott at cover, H. Stuart, B. Stuart, Gillespie, and Stanley at forward

QuebecH. StuartN/AN/A
QuebecB. Stuart or H. StuartN/AN/A
QuebecB. StuartN/AN/A
Montreal HCCampbellN/AN/A
Montreal HCBoon or LiffitonN/AN/A
Montreal HCPossibly CampbellN/AN/A
Montreal HCChristmasCampbellN/A
Montreal HCBoonCampbellN/A
Montreal HCBoon or ChristmasN/AN/A
Montreal HCBoon or LiffitonN/AN/A

Game #5: Montreal Shamrocks vs Montreal HC, 16 January 1901
Liffiton gives Montreal HC an early lead following a long rush. Liffiton is noticeable in the second game as well. Montreal’s LW (I’m not sure who that is) gets some flack. Tansey’s play is credited. Wall ties the game on a monster lift. Campbell makes a rush and gets past Wall and Tansey, but McKenna is there to prevent a goal. Boon gets the puck, makes a rush and passes to Christmas, who scores. Liffiton almost scores, but then Wall scores by another lift to tie the game. McKenna makes a stop on Boon. Several players are ruled off for penalties. Regulation ends with a tie score. Brannen, Farrell, or Trihey finally scores, giving the Shamrocks the victory.

A Montreal paper reported: “The Shamrocks won by three to two, or rather Wm. Wall won for them by his exceptionally well judged ‘lifts’. In the previous game on Saturday Wall was comparatively a useless member of the team. He had not his skating feet on and his lifts were easily pulled down out of the atmosphere by Pulford or Hutton. Last night Wall was a different man, and he confined himself mostly to his strong point”

Another Montreal paper wrote: “Montreal had a great advantage in Campell’s style of play. He was almost continually offside, playing Chauncey Kirby’s style of game, and when the puck was down on the Shamrock defence he was able to be after it promptly”

“Liffiton worked in splendid style and so did illy Christmas. George Smith was in the contest at all stages. Of the Shamrock attack, Dr. Brannen was the most prominent and performed a lot of work”

“The Shamrock defence was the mainstay of the team. Wall and Tansey performed their duties in admirable style, and both showed improved form since their previous appearance. McKenna was right in line and stopped several likely looking shots at close range”

“Dick Boon played a splendid game”

“Dr. Brannen is developing into an artist at body-checking”

“Boon tried to emulate Wall’s example, but McKenna has his eyes open”

Final Score: 3-2 Shamrocks

Rosters
Shamrocks: McKenna in goal, Tansey at point, Wall at cover, Scanlan, Farrell, Dr. Brannen, and Trihey at forward

Montreal HC: Nicholson in goal, H. Smith at point, Boon at cover, Christmas, G. Smith, Campbell, and Liffiton at forward

Montreal HCLiffitonN/AN/A
ShamrocksWallN/AN/A
Montreal HCChristmasBoonN/A
ShamrocksWallN/AN/A
ShamrocksFarrell or Brannen or TriheyN/AN/A

Game #6: Montreal Victorias vs Ottawa HC, 19 January 1901
Westwick scored first. Russell evened the match in the second game. W. Strachan stopped a lift, but Henry hits him and Westwick gets the puck and scores. Smith and Sixsmith are playing well in the next game, but Lockerby is up to the task in goal. Stuart eventually gets the equalizer after a “neat pass” from Russell. As regulation came to a close, the Victorias were dominating, and “it was only the splendid work of Duval, Pulford, and Hutton that staved off defeat for the locals”. An overtime was played, but neither team was able to score.

A Montreal paper wrote: “Then Smith, of the Ottawas, began to tire, and for the remainder of the first half Ottawa was practically without his services”

“Strachan, Russell, Locke, and Lougherby performed wonders for the Victorias, and Pulford, Duval, and Sexsmith were doing splendid service for Ottawa”

Another Montreal paper reported: “It could be easily seen that Smith was in poor condition and he never should have had a place on the team. Westwick, too, though he played a swell game at the start off, was badly handicapped by his foot, which, injured in the Shamrock match, had become worse during the week, till it had to be lanced. The Ottawa defence was strong, and Hutton in goal withstood the Victorias’ attack with praiseworthy diligence. Pulford and Duval also played a capable article”

“W. Strachan, at point for Victorias, was the star of the visiting defence, and he saved his goal-keeper on dozens of occasions by coolness and despatch. He had a great knack for stopping the puck with his knees. Lockerby, in goal, was given less work on this account than he otherwise would have had. H. Yuile, the cover point, acted as captain in the absence of Bowie. E. Stuart and Russell did the best work on the forward line”

“For the Ottawas, Sixsmith and Westwick, until he became incapacitated, okayed the best game, and did some excellent individual work”

An Ottawa paper wrote: “Sixsmith and Westwick were the stars on the team. Sixsmith particularly could outplay any of the visitors. Westwick was very effective, and Henry and Smith worked hard. The Ottawa defence was very reliable and made but few errors”

“Pulford and Duval, besides doing good puck lifting, used their bodies to advantage”

“Russel and Stuart were the best workers. It was a first rate defence that the Victorias had, and one that could not be much improved upon. They had the knack down fine of getting the puck out of bad looking situations and stopped almost everything that went their way. W. Strachan at point and Yuile at cover point acted in fine style”

“Westwick was game to the end”

“Sixsmith was never so fast”

“Hutton was well up to business”

“It seems impossible to rattle Duval”

“Pulford did steady work”

“Henry was well able for his cover”

“Smith did not seem to get as many chances as the others”

“Lockerby of the Vics stopped many hot shots”

Another Ottawa paper reported: “Russell, on the Vics’ forward line, is a sure stick handler”

“Yuile, the acting captain of the Vics, is a cool customer. He plays back a little too far at point however”

Final Score: 2-2

Rosters
Victorias: Lockerby in goal, W. Strachan at point, Yuile at cover, Locke (RW), E. Stuart (centre), B. Strachan (BC), and Russell (LW) at forward

Ottawa: Hutton in goal, Pulford at point, Duval at cover, Henry (RW), Sixsmith (Centre), Westwick (BC), and J. Smith (LW) at forward

OttawaWestwickN/AN/A
VictoriasRussellN/AN/A
OttawaWestwickN/AN/A
VictoriasStuartRussellN/A

Game #7: Quebec HC vs Montreal Shamrocks, 19 January 1901
Trihey strikes first, but Hogan ties it up. Hogan scores again, but this time it is the Shamrocks who score to tie it. Stanley scores to give Quebec the lead once more, but Farrell gets the equalizer, and the score is tied three all at the half. The Shamrocks score seven in the second half, while Quebec is only able to manage one.

A Montreal paper reported: In the second half, the visitors went to pieces, and the Shamrocks scored practically at will. It was a case of the rattles. Then again the champions seemed to have learned something by the experience of their last couple of matches, and they played in championship form. True, there was nobody like Pulford or Hutton to run up against in the scoring way”

Another Montreal paper reported: “Rough work and heavy checking count in their favour. For instance, Hod Stuart was a busy man. Big and strong he uses his body recklessly on the opposing forward line, and is just as handy with his stick”

“The forwards are a poor lot. Stuart, while a big man and of great advantage in knocking his opponents about, is not much of a hockey player. He is not playing the game as he did with Ottawa last season. Gillespie, Stanley and Hogan are but a fair lot and when the Shamrocks struck their gait in the second half, the visitors were lost. Quebec’s defence is a peculiar one. Scott, big and brawny, is an easy man to pass, but he has a dangerous trick of swinging his stick”

“Cahill worked hard, but the man on the team who was up to the mark was Stocking. He did splendid service in the poles and stopped any number of shots”

Final Score: 10-4 Shamrocks

Rosters
Quebec: Stocking in goal, Cahill at point, Scott at cover, Gillespie, Stanley, Hod Stuart, and Hogan at forward

Shamrocks: McKenna in goal, Tansey at point, Wall at cover, Scanlan, Trihey, Brannen and Farrell at forward

ShamrocksTriheyN/AN/A
QuebecHoganN/AN/A
QuebecHoganN/AN/A
ShamrocksUNKN/AN/A
QuebecStanleyN/AN/A
ShamrocksFarrellN/AN/A
QuebecUNKN/AN/A
ShamrocksUNKN/AN/A
ShamrocksUNKN/AN/A
ShamrocksUNKN/AN/A
ShamrocksUNKN/AN/A
ShamrocksUNKN/AN/A
ShamrocksUNKN/AN/A
ShamrocksUNKN/AN/A

Game #8: Montreal Victorias vs Montreal Shamrocks, 23 January 1901
Trihey gets the first game, digging the puck out of a scrum in front of the goal. Yulie ties it via a long lift, then Bowie scored to give the Vics the lead. The Shamrocks launch an assault, rush after rush, against the Vics’ goal, but Munro keeps the puck out. Munro is injured at this point, and Lockerby comes in. Farrell eventually scores. Stuart scores the sudden-death winner off “one of his splendid dashes”.

A Montreal paper wrote: “The Shamrock defence played an excellent game. Tansey was always close back on the goalkeeper, while Wall at point was left out to do his lifting which he did with surprising exactness.

Another Montreal paper reported: “When the match was over the young team received a great ovation. They deserved it. They had played a magnificent game against the strongest, swiftest and cleverest hockey combination that ever appeared upon ice till last evening, and they had purely and simply beaten them out, without any of their men apparently [in] possession either the ability to shoot like Trihey or Farrell or to life [probably lift] like Wall”

An Ottawa paper wrote: “Shamrock’s defence played an excellent game, for undoubtedly Capt. Bowie and his fast quartet of forwards had the best of the game in the open. Eddie Stuart, Blair Russell and Harry Trihey were the star forwards. Wall lifted in splendid style and Yuile’s checking was a feature of the match”

Final Score: 4-3 Victorias

Rosters
Victorias: Munro and Lockerby in goal, Strachan at point, Yuile at cover, Russell, Bowie, Locke, and Stuart at forward

Shamrocks: McKenna in goal, Tansey at point, Wall at cover, Trihey, Brennan, Scanlan, and Farrell at forward

ShamrockTriheyN/AN/A
VictoriasYulieN/AN/A
VictoriasBowieN/AN/A
ShamrocksFarrellN/AN/A
VictoriasBowieN/AN/A
ShamrocksBrannenN/AN/A
VictoriasStuartN/AN/A

Game #9: Ottawa HC vs Montreal HC, 26 January 1901
Campbell scores the first game on a “well supported” rush. Pulford makes a threatening run, but Liffiton and Boon ended it. Liffiton scores on the counter attack. Smith scores Ottawa’s first, but Christmas scores to extend the lead to two once more. Henry scores, then Smith scores again to tie it. Pulford goes on another run, and passes to Sixsmith or Smith, who scores. Brown or Liffiton gets the equalizer, but from then on, it was Ottawa’s game and “the Montreal fast combination was broken up by the effects of Pulford’s hard checking and Duval’s splendid work”

A Montreal paper wrote: “Duval and Pulford were equal to anything that happened to come their way, and the few things that passed found Hutton up to his business”

“In the second half Montreal seemed to totally collapse, Liffiton and Boone being about the only men who played up to their form”

An Ottawa paper wrote: “And in Duval they have a star player. He seemed to have no difficulty in evading the Montreal forwards and had he been able to lift straight on goal, the Ottawa score would have been larger than it was”

Final Score: 9-4 Ottawa HC

Rosters
Ottawa: Hutton in goal, Pulford at point, Duval at cover, Roger, Sixsmith, Henry, and J. Smith at forward

Montreal: Nicholson in goal, Smith at point, Boon at cover, Liffiton, Brown, Christmas, and Campbell at forward

MontrealCampbellN/AN/A
MontrealLiffitonN/AN/A
OttawaSmithN/AN/A
MontrealChristmasLiffitonN/A
OttawaHenryN/AN/A
OttawaSmithN/AN/A
OttawaSixsmith or SmithPulfordN/A
MontrealBrown or LiffitonMaybe LiffitonN/A
OttawaHenryN/AN/A
OttawaRogerN/AN/A
OttawaSmithN/AN/A
OttawaSixsmithN/AN/A
OttawaSixsmithN/AN/A

Game #10: Montreal Victorias vs Quebec HC, 2 February 1901
Bowie steals the puck early, passes to Locke, who scores. Gillespie takes a shot early in the next game, but it gets turned away by Munro. Hod Stuart or Gillespie takes the puck, takes it up ice before passing it to Bruce Stuart, who scores. B. Stuart gets another rush, and passes to Gillespie, who scores. Munro is forced to come up big in the next game. Yuile finally skates the puck out of danger and passes to Bowie. Bowie scores to tie the game. Hogan takes a shot that goes wide, then the puck comes down to the Quebec end and Stocking shows some good work in net. Yuile delivers a stiff check to Bruce Stuart. Bowie eventually scores. Lemesurier scores the next one off a pass from Gillespie. Then Quebec takes the lead after H. Stuart passes to Gillespie, who in turn passes to Hogan, who scores. Locke or Stuart ties the game for the Vics, but Gillespie quickly regains the lead for Quebec. Bruce Stuart then scores after a rush and pass from H. Stuart. Bowie scores the last of the match.

An Ottawa paper reported: “For the Quebecs B. Stuart, H. Stuart, Gillespie, Hogan, Stocking, Lemesuer all played a good game. For the Victorias, Bowie, Locke, Munroe, and Yuill worked hard”

Final Score: 6-5 Quebec HC

Rosters
Victorias: Munro in goal, Strachen at point, Yuile at cover, Russell, Bowie, Locke, and Stuart at forward

Quebec: Stocking in goal, Cahill at point, H. Stuart at cover, Gillespie, Lemesurier, Hogan, and B. Stuart at forward

VictoriasLockeBowieN/A
QuebecB. StuartGillespie or H. StuartN/A
QuebecGillespieB. StuartN/A
VictoriasBowieYuileN/A
VictoriasBowieN/AN/A
QuebecLemesurierGillespieN/A
QuebecHoganGillespieH. Stuart
VictoriasLocke or StuartN/AN/A
QuebecGillespie or B. StuartLemesurierN/A
QuebecB. StuartH. StuartN/A
VictoriasBowieN/AN/A

Game #11: Montreal HC vs Ottawa HC, 2 February 1901
Montreal apparently suffered from some self-inflicted wounds in this one. Roger scored on a shot that was going wide because Moore deflected it, and Shacket/Skeckell (depending on the source) put the puck in his own net while trying to avoid another player.

Henry scored the first of the match after some nice passing work with Sixsmith. Boon’s defensive work is praised in the second game, but Roger scores. Campbell then got Montreal on the board via a coast-to-coast rush that “brought the crowd to its feet”. Boon is praised for his defense once more. The next goal was the own goal in Ottawa’s favor. Hutton is forced to make some saves. Campbell scores again, this time off a rush and pass from Liffiton. Boon and Nicholson are again noted for fine play. Liffiton scores, then Pulford scores on a rush. Roger scores the insurance goal. When maintaining the lead, Westwick played back.

A Montreal paper wrote: “However, the great play of Liffiton and Campbell in the forward line, and M. Boon at cover point, and Nicholson at goal, almost won a victory. Liffiton and Campbell did great work together, and performed some of the prettiest plays of the match”

“The changes in their [Montreal’s] forwards militated against the Montrealers chances, and Moore can be improved on at point. Pulford, Duval and Roger were the stars for Ottawa, but Westwick in spite of his recent illness did a lot of hard work”

Another Montreal paper reported: “For the Ottawas, Roger and Sixsmith played the most effective game, and for the Montreals Liffiton and Boone did decidedly good work”

An Ottawa paper wrote: “The Ottawa defence put up a splendid article of hockey and the Montrealers had lots to do when they wanted to get past them. Hutton in goal had occasionally to stop hot shots and he knew how to do it. Pulford played a strong game, and besides helping to defend is own goal he always was on the lookout to put the Montreal goal in danger”

“Duval, as usual, got in a lot of nice lifts, and moreover used his body to some effect. Among the Ottawa forwards Roger was the star. He seemed always to be in the spot where he could work to the best advantage. Sixsmith likewise handled himself well and Westwick and Henry worked hard”

“The Montreal defence occasionally proved themselves adept at blocking tactics. Boon was specially prominent in his work. Liffiton and Campbell played a clever and hard game on the forward line and it took a good man to get the better of them”

“Roger was the best man on the ice”

“Duval appears to put his body more into use than he did formerly”

“Sixsmith lived up to his reputation”

“Campbell’s playing on the Montreal forward line was much admired”

“R. Boon, the Montreal coverpoint, knows all the tricks of a good defence man”

Another Ottawa paper reported: “Nicholson played a good game in goal for Montreal”

Final Score: 5-3 Ottawa HC

Rosters
Montreal: Nicholson in goal, Moore at point, Boon at cover, Christmas (replaced by Skeckell/Shacket due to injury), Liffiton, Campbell, and G. Smith at forward

Ottawa: Hutton in goal, Pulford at point, Duval at cover, Sixsmith, Westwick, Henry, and Rodgers at forward

OttawaHenryN/AN/A
OttawaRogerN/AN/A
MontrealCampbellN/AN/A
OttawaUNKN/AN/A
MontrealCampbellLiffiton or BoonN/A
MontrealLiffitonN/AN/A
OttawaPulfordN/AN/A
OttawaRogerN/AN/A

Game #12: Montreal Shamrocks vs Quebec HC, 9 February 1901
Not much on this one. Trihey or Scanlan scored the first off a rush. Farrell or Cummings scored the next, and Gillespie scored the final goal of the match. Quebec was evidently penalized a lot.

A Montreal paper wrote: “The Shamrocks were undoubtedly fast skaters, and their forward line was at times very dangerous; but if the rubber passed Hod Stuart and Cahill, Stocking was ready to receive it, and made some marvellous stops. On one occasion Trihey dodged the point and cover-point, and when about ten feet from goal shot the puck, but Stocking returned it back”

Another Montreal paper reported: “Tansey was essentially a second goaler, and both he and McKenna were subjected to a perfect fusillade of shots almost from start to finish”

“The whole Shamrock team played well, but the forward work was spasmodic. George Cummings played in Brannen’s place, but he was rather nervous”

Final Score: 2-1 Shamrocks

Rosters
Shamrocks: McKenna in goal, Tansey at point, Grant at cover, Trihey, Scanlan, Cummings, and Farrell at forward

Quebec: Stocking in goal, Cahill at point, H. Stuart at cover, Lemesurier, Hogan, Gillespie, and B. Stuart at forward

ShamrocksScanlan or TriheyN/AN/A
ShamrocksCummings or FarrellN/AN/A
QuebecGillespieN/AN/A

Game #13: Ottawa HC vs Montreal Victorias, 9 February 1901
A crowd of 5000 allegedly came out to see this one. The Vics come fast out of the gate, Bowie scoring a goal less than a minute in. Sixsmith or Westwick answered for Ottawa. Bowie is praised for some rushes. Henry or Sixsmith scores to give Ottawa the lead, but Bowie or Russell scores to even the score. Westwick or Sixsmith scores after the half. Hutton makes some nice stops, but Bowie or Russell has his number and notches another one. Then Henry and Stuart or Bowie trade goals. Henry or Duval scored the match winner on a lift.

An Ottawa paper reported: “Roger got in some very well directed shots from difficult positions and were it not for great watchfulness on the part of the Montreal goal-keeper, some of them would have counted. When Westwick and Henry had the puck in possession they always worked it to advantage”

“On the defence Duval was the star. His coolness and lifting of the puck into territory dangerous for the Victorias were much admired”

“Pulford managed to avert many dangerous situations, and Hutton in goal was ready to stop any kind of shots”

“Goal-keeper Munroe certainly could not have been improved upon, but Strachan at point and Yuile at cover point not only did not put up the best argument in the world as regards lifting the puck, but they occasionally lost their feet at critical moments”

“There is nothing too good for Duval”

“Hutton’s sureness was never so apparent”

“Roger is a surprisingly straight shot”

“Henry could give the Victorias all sorts of pointers in trickiness”

Final Score: 5-4 Ottawa

Rosters
Ottawa: Hutton in goal, Pulford at point, Duval at cover, Westwick, Sixsmith, Henry, and Roger at forward

Victorias: Munro in goal, Strachan at point, Yuile at cover, Bowie, Russell, Stewart, and Allan at forward

VictoriasBowieN/AN/A
OttawaSixsmith or WestwickN/AN/A
OttawaHenry or SixsmithN/AN/A
VictoriasBowie or RussellN/AN/A
OttawaSixsmith or WestwickN/AN/A
OttawaHenryN/AN/A
VictoriasBowie or StuartN/AN/A
OttawaDuval or HenryN/AN/A

Game #14: Quebec HC vs Montreal HC, 16 February 1901
Quebec starts the game with a nice chance, but Nicholson stops it. The puck eventually finds its way down towards the Quebec goal, and Liffiton scores. Boon makes a rush, but to no avail. Vallance had a chance as well. However, it is Liffiton, again, who scores the next game. Nicholson makes a couple saves. O’Meara makes some saves. Boon, Liffiton, and Bruce Smith are praised for some rushes. D. Smith or Campbell scores for Montreal. Vallance or D. Smith scored the last of the game, putting in a rebound off a shot from Campbell.

A Montreal paper wrote: “A chance shot or two might have rolled into the net just as well as not. But they did not, owing to the rare skill displayed by Nicholson, who was the right man to stop all attacks. He was kept busy, at times resembling a certain toy as he leaped into the air, squatted, or spun around. This means praise for Quebec, and praise for Montreal's goalkeeper. He did all that was required of him. So did Liffiton, the ubiquitous forward, who was always slashing around the net, or pushing the puck into it. His work was of the star order. It was almost a constellation. No wonder all New York opened their eyes to see him play”

“Quebec’s big defence did not seem to bother him [Liffiton] too much. When they tried to use the body he was usually out of the way”

“Of course, Boone, Montreal’s cover point played to win. Rather unusual is it to see so small a man placed at the first defence. Montrealers are accustomed to have bigger men there, but scarcely better ones. Quebec knew all this, and more, but they were unable to get by him, or if they did, Nicholson batted the intrusive rubber out”

“Montreal’s forward line was considerably weakened by the absence of Gardner. He was replaced by Vallance, the most of whose work was ineffective. Experience and a cool head are needed to butt up against such a defence as Quebec has, with H. Stuart in it. The latter is a big husky fellow, and is patterned after the general rule of what the size of a cover point ought to be. He is not a rough player, although the crowd thought so a couple of times. As an olf player observed; it is always so”

Another Montreal paper reported: “The two Stuarts, particularly Bruce, made some magnificent runs, runs that made the spectators forget the lapses from the rules which caused the referee to retire one for no less space than five minutes”

“... and Nicholson’s body must have been black and blue for he took everything that was coming to him in the matter of shots, and not one passed him. He showed himself Saturday decidedly the best goalkeeper of the season, for he had very little support from either cover or point, which let most of the shots that would have been effective, but for Nicholson, past them”

“Vallance was the weakest man on the Montreal team. He tried hard, but did not manage to do much. The others all played strong. Campbell was the equal of Bruce Stuart in brilliant runs, and Liffiton played as if his Satanic Majesty was after him at times”

Final Score: 4-0 Montreal HC

Rosters
Quebec: O’Meara in goal, Cahill at point, H. Stuart at cover, Lemesurier, Gillespie, Hogan, and B. Stuart at forward

Montreal: Nicholson in goal, Hodge at point, Boon at cover, Liffiton, Smith, Campbell, and Vallance at forward

Montreal HCD. Smith or CampbellN/AN/A
Montreal HCD. Smith or VallanceCampbellN/A

Game #15: Montreal Shamrocks vs Ottawa HC, 16 February 1901
It took quite some time for the first goal to be scored, but, eventually, Tansey turned it over to Henry, who did the needful. The Shamrocks started the next game on the offensive, with the forwards being noted for individual rushes. Hutton, however, would not be beaten easily. He stopped sure goals from Brannen, Trihey, Scanlan, and Farrell with regularity. Duval broke up a Trihey chance. Trihey’s hand is injured at this point. Scanlan, off a play that saw the puck get to him from Trihey via Farrell, eventually gets the equalizer. Trihey and Westwick get some praise for their aggressive play, with Trihey being noted for saving a goal. The match went into over time, where Roger eventually gets the puck to the front of the net and Sixsmith is able to bat it in.

A Montreal paper wrote: “The Shamrock forwards were in each other’s way most of the time and the only thing that reminded one of their old-timey brilliancy was the individual rushes of the men. The defence was weak, although Tansey and McKenna performed good work”

“The defence was supposed to be weakened by the absence of Pulford, but Charlie Spittal, who replaced him, proved himself a good stop and splendid lifter. Duval, at cover point, was the star of the match, and his admirers claim for him the title of best cover point in the business. Westwick, Roger, Henry and Sexsmith played better together than usual and their checking was as hard as customary”

Another Montreal paper reported: “There was only one feature which could approach being called regrettable, and that was a little mix-up which occurred between Mike Grant of the Shamrocks, and Duval of the Ottawas. As usual in such cases, people who had no business there rushed to the ice and made an insignificant exhibition of temper on the part of a player, appear an offence of grave seriousness. Those who know Grant are certainly disposed to believe that he had sufficient provocation to justify his striking Duval in the face, for the Hamrock man’s record as a good sport and a gentleman, bears out the conviction that he did not act as he did without sufficient cause”

“Trihey and Brennan, for Shamrocks, and Westwick for Ottawas, were certainly the stars of the evening, and Ottawa scored the win by aggressive play. Duval for Ottawa shone principally for hard and quick checking. Spittal puzzled the visitors with lifts from either side and thus made effective plays. Hutton, the Ottawa goalman, deserves lots of credit for at times the game was made exceedingly warm for him, and one mistake would have cost the match”

An Ottawa paper wrote: “Hutton, in goal, even excelled himself by his stops. The Shamrocks often made such straight shots that it looked as if some of them must count, but the puck would be turned aside either by Hutton’s stick or skate. Charlie Spittal played at point instead of Pulford, the latter being unable to take part in the game. Whatever little doubt there may have been as to how the change would affect the Ottawa’s playing power was soon dispelled, for Spittal did his work in first-class style. Duval at cover point put up the star defence game. He lifted the puck with uprising accuracy, several times almost scoring in this way, and frequently made his opponents feel the power of his body checks. It was seldom that a Shamrock man could get past him. Among the forwards Westwick probably worked the hardest and did some great playing. His rushes down the ice with the puck were for the most part advantageous, and his tricky stick handling was a surprise to his opponents. Roger shot as accurately as ever and was always ready for his cover. Sixsmith and Henry were all over the ice, and followed the puck wherever it went”

“McKenna was alright in goal, but Tansey seemed a bit clumsy at point, and Grant, the once-famous, almost proved a complete failure at cover point. There were dozens of times when Grant might have stopped the puck and sent it out of danger, but it rolled right past him unopposed”

“Trihey showed himself to be the most brilliant man of the lot and his quickness speeding along the ice with the puck was a great feature. Brannen did a lot of good work, but Farrell and Scanlan seemed to be unable to put a finishing touch on their efforts”

“Alf. Smith’s coaching of the Ottawas has had decidedly good results”

Another Ottawa paper reported: “Westwick on the Ottawa forward line played the best game for the home team. He was always on the puck and his condition was magnificent, for he stood out the match to the end at which time he could spurt as fast as at the beginning. The other three forwards, Roger, Henry, and Sixsmith, though somewhat slower, were very effective. Sixsmith was especially aggressive and made some excellent plays. Duval played very much of a forward game though placed at cover point, and while he was ruled off his loss to the team was very apparent, for the Shamrock line got very much nearer the Ottawa goal during that b=period than at any time before or after. Duval was the equal of any on the Shamrock team at checking while he excelled just a little in speed and stickhandling”

“Hutton, in goal, deserves more credit for his showing in this game than probably any other man on the team, for it was one in which the least carelessness on the part of the goalkeeper would have cost the Ottawa the match. The shots which Brennan and Trihey made on the Ottawa net when they got an opportunity were of the kind that might well rattle the man between the posts. But Hutton was like an iceberg and had the eye of a hawk. He picked the rubber’s course without error except on one occasion and his claim to the title of topnotcher before the net stands undisputed”

“Roger and Henry were very effective in getting the puck past their men and this had the effect of making the Shamrock defence do a great deal of work”

“Trihey and Brannen were the stars of the Shamrock forward line, and the former’s condition must have been perfection, for he covered more territory than any other man on the ice. He had a good second in Brannen, who made many nice rushes into Ottawa territory”

“McKenna, the Shamrock’s silent man, defended the net behind him in a manner which had much to do in keeping the Ottawa’s score down to 2 goals. Tansey and Mike Grant, the other two defence men, though not brilliant were fairly effective and while Grant is not by a long shot the hockey player of the olden times, his bodying prevented the Ottawa line from getting far into Shamrock territory. He, however, handles his stick too much with the one hand to keep possession of the rubber”

“Had the Shamrocks had Wall on instead of Grant, the former’s ability to lift the puck back would certainly have made a hard proposition for the home team to buck up against”

“Westwick is a daisy”

“Scanlan was a little slower than usual”

“Shamrocks say it was Spittal that defeated them”

“Brannen, of the Shamrocks, and Trihey are two gems”

“Frank Tansey looked awkward but he’s a tower of strength when it comes to stopping a man”

“McKenna hasn’t much to say but he an give the best of them pointers on defending a goal net”

“Bouse Hutton has been a player this year on three championship teams, the lacrosse, football, and hockey”

Final Score: 2-1 Ottawa HC

Rosters
Shamrocks: McKenna in goal, Tansey at point, Grant at cover, Brannen at centre, Trihey at BC, Scanlan at LW, and Farrell at RW

Ottawa: Hutton in goal, Spittal at point, Duval at cover, Sixsmith at centre, Westwick at BC, Henry at RW, Roger at LW

OttawaHenryN/AN/A
ShamrocksScanlanFarrellTrihey
OttawaSixsmithRogerN/A

Game #16: Montreal Victorias vs Montreal HC, 20 February 1901
Unfortunately, I don’t have a lot on this one, just lineups and a few details.

A Montreal paper wrote: “One reason for this may be the absence of Boon, the clever cover point. Through some manipulation of the executive he sat on the benches during the game, when he should have been on the ice. The result was that the Vics broke through the defence almost whenever they liked. Goalkeeper NIcholson was very badly supported. Red jerseys were so thick around him he could do but little to keep the score down”

“Russell and Bowie scored sco often that it may be called their game. These two players landed the rubber no fewer than eleven times”

Another Montreal paper reported: “Boon, one of the best and most daring men the club possesses, was not playing. The action of the executive of forcing him out of his place to make room for another man, was the cause of this. It is doubtful if his presence on the team could have saved the night, but it is possible that his absence, and the realization of the other players that the executive cares but little for good work done, together with a certain amount of feeling between the members of the team themselves about the change, was responsible for last night’s nightmare”

Final Score: 13-3 Victorias

Rosters
Victorias: Munro in goal, Strachman at point, Yuile at cover, Bowie, Locke, Stuart, and Russell at forward

Montreal HC: Nicholson in goal, Hodge at point, Moore at cover, Smith, Vallance, Campbell, and Liffiton at forward

I don’t have the exact order of goals
Montreal HCVallanceN/AN/A
VictoriasUNKN/AN/A
VictoriasUNKN/AN/A

Game #17: Ottawa HC vs Quebec HC, 23 February 1901
Despite being a very low scoring affair, this one was apparently a good display of hockey. Roger or Westwick scored the only goal of the match, 20 minutes into overtime.

Bruce Stuart almost scored one early. Chittick made many nice saves. Stocking also made many fine stops.

A Montreal paper wrote: “The Ottawas had on their full team with the exception of Hutton, but the latter could not have in any way improved upon the game put up by Chittick, who made many seemingly impossible stops and virtually won the match”

Final Score: 1-0 Ottawa HC

Rosters
Ottawa: Chiitick in goal, Pulford at point, Duval at cover, Sixsmith, Roger, Henry, and Westwick at forward

Quebec: Stocking in goal, Cahill at point, H. Stuart at cover, B. Stuart, LeMessurier, Hogan, and Gillespie at forward

OttawaRoger or WestwickN/AN/A

Game #18: Montreal HC vs Montreal Shamrocks, 23 February 1901
The score was 0-0 after the end of the first half of play, largely due to some fine defensive play. Wall and Tansey were noted for “busy checking”. Campbell scores the first of the game, but Trihey then gets the equalizer. Liffiton scores to recapture the lead for Montreal HC. Campbell scores the last goal of the match.

A Montreal paper wrote: “First and foremost Boone played cover point, and the way he broke up rushes and wormed into combinations was exhilarating to his friends, one and all of whom now feel that his place on the team cannot be disputed. But that is not all. The forward line seemed to have a new lease of smartness. Liffiton and Campbell played very well last week, but they played far better on Saturday, with Gardner, who did some star work. Smith also did well”

“Wall and Tansey were conspicuous for the stubborn defence they put up, while McKenna as usual, blocked often”

“Brannen was absent, which was noticeable. He was replaced by G. Cummings, a promising youngster, who is very speedy. Naturally he lacks the experience which makes combination passing effective”

“Captain Trihey, and another forward, were often dangerous when near the Montreal goal”

Final Score: 3-1 Montreal HC

Rosters
Montreal HC: Nicholson in goal, Bellingham at point, Boon at cover, Gardner, Smith, Campbell, and Liffiton at forward

Shamrocks: McKenna in goal, Tansey at point, Wall at cover, Scanlan, E. Cummings, Trihey, and G. Cummings

ShamrocksTriheyN/AN/A

Game #19: Montreal Shamrocks vs Montreal Victorias, 27 February 1901
The Shamrocks started the game with a series of attempts, Trihey, Cummings, and Farrell all coming up empty. Tansey made a couple rushes, and on one of them passed to Scanlan, who scored. Farrell scored the next one in short order. Locke scores on a lift. Farrell responds for the Shamrocks, but Bowie scores to bring the score within one. Farrell scores again, then Trihey “gave an exhibition of dazzling stick handling and scored quicker than it takes to write it”. Wall attempts “one of his famous lifts”, but Munro stops it. The puck is cleared, and Bowie scores. Yule scores on a lift, and the score is again within one. Scanlan scores. Wall scores on a lift. Wall almost gets another one. Farrell scores again. Bowie scores the last of the match.

A Montreal paper wrote: “Farrell probably never played a better game in his life. He made some great plays from one end of the rink to the other, scoring no fewer than four times. Capt. Trihey was also in splendid trim, reminding the onlookers of his best days”

“Scanlan worked like a little demon, bagging the puck twice. Cummings also did well, skating very fast, and effectively aiding the other forwards”

“Wall and Tansey are always reliable, and a few spectators with sharp eyes noticed that even McKenna wobbled out of the goals once to break up a rush”

“Bowie, however, distinguished himself. He was always dangerous, scoring three times”

Final Score: 8-5 Shamrocks

Rosters
Shamrocks: McKenna in goal, Tansey at point, Wall at cover, Trihey, Farrell, Cummings, and Scanlan at forward

Victorias: Munro in goal, W. Strachan at point, Yuile at cover, Bowie, Locke, B. Strachan, and Russell at forward

ShamrocksScanlanTanseyN/A
ShamrocksFarrellN/AN/A
VictoriasLockeN/AN/A
ShamrocksFarrellN/AN/A
VictoriasBowieN/AN/A
ShamrocksFarrellN/AN/A
ShamrocksTriheyN/AN/A
VictoriasBowieN/AN/A
VictoriasYuileN/AN/A
ShamrocksScanlanN/AN/A
ShamrocksWallN/AN/A
ShamrocksFarrellN/AN/A
VictoriasBowieN/AN/A

Game #20: Quebec HC vs Montreal Victorias, 2 March 1901
This was apparently a poor game. Hod Stuart missed the game, and Bruce Stuart was injured early on. One paper alleged that, historically, there is a lack of effort from the Quebec team away from home.

A Montreal paper wrote: “Goal Keeper Stocking was about the only player who distinguished himself. He certainly saved is team time and again. The rest of the defence was easy. The Vics had no difficulty in breaking through them”

Final Score: 9-3 Victorias

Rosters
Quebec: Stocking in goal, Cahill at point, Halliday at cover, Lemesurier, Gillespie, Hogan, and Lesueur at forward

Victorias: Munro in goal, Strachan at point, Yuile at cover, Bowie, Russell, Locke, and Stuart at forward

VictoriasBowieN/AN/A
VictoriasBowieN/AN/A
QuebecGillespieN/AN/A
VictoriasBowieN/AN/A
VictoriasStuartN/AN/A
QuebecLesueurN/AN/A
VictoriasLockeN/AN/A
QuebecHoganN/AN/A
VictoriasBowieN/AN/A
VictoriasRussellN/AN/A
VictoriasBowieN/AN/A
VictoriasRussellN/AN/A

Retro All-Star Team

Goal: Hutton, Ottawa HC
Point: Pulford, Ottawa HC
Cover: Boon, Montreal HC
Forward: Bowie, Montreal Victorias
Forward: Campbell, Montreal HC
Forward: Westwick, Ottawa HC
Forward: Trihey, Montreal Shamrocks

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
@seventieslord how many lists so far?
Counting submitted lists and a few unsubmitted that I'm 100% sure I can count on (@seventieslord, @TheDevilMadeMe, @VanIslander): 13.

Two THREE other very probable who took some arm twisting but are submitting shortly I suspect.

One more (@Sturminator) who I'm not calling "very probable" anymore due to his recent silence on the matter, but... probable.

One more whose arm is in the process of being twisted, could go either way. <------- this person has been upgraded to the list above

four three others who I've been bugging, who haven't said one way or another, all are most likely out at this point, but odds are one will surprise me. Those 3 are: @DN28, @Hawkey Town 18, @overpass, @tinyzombies

looking back at the signup list in post 42, I guess we have a few more outstanding, who said they were in but have not sent a list or officially backed out:

@Mike Farkas
@Sanf
@Batis (busy life, still hoping to get list in, I'll wait!)
@Pominville Knows,

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Started reading @rmartin65's posts more seriously just now. I have no idea why Jack Campbell isn't more valued in the ATD. It's obvious he was the original superstar and "best player in the world". Arguably, three straight Hart trophies. Allan Cameron appeared to have been the 2nd best in that stretch from 1887-1889. Given the historical significance of this infancy era, Campbell should be much more highly rated.

Poor level of competition alone cannot justify his current status and rank.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Since I mentioned Cameron- I know he gets a lot of credit (Iain's model has him rated well, Ultimate Hockey gives him a bunch of awards), but I'm not terribly impressed at this point. He doesn't get the same level of press per game (I'll get into that in a second) as guys like Campbell and Young, and- particularly in his mid-to-late career- gets mentioned for penalties more than other players. He was a very likely a good player on a great team, but I don't know if he is what made that team great. Stewart (the point on those M.A.A.A. teams) is another guy who I think gets too much credit.

[...]

As an aside, it is interesting (to me, at least) that, coverpoint appears to be the "star" position in the 1880s-1890s. Maybe I'm reading to much into it or am being biased by my interest in some of the players, but it is the coverpoints who get the most press, who get the most credit for impacting the games, even if they are not the ones doing a lot of the scoring. Indeed, what strikes me as particularly strange is that the players who do a lot of scoring often don't get mentioned- or don't get special mention, at least- when the reporter is summing up the stars/impact players of the game. I don't know if that is because it is assumed that a guy who scored 4 goals had a good game, thus he doesn't need to be mentioned, or what, but I find it odd every time. McNaughton in particular had that one dominant scoring season (1890, where he had double the goals as the next nearest player, and 3 times as many as the nearest non-teammate... though of course the games-played thing comes into play there), but the game reports don't mention him all that much (comparatively) outside of saying things like he did the needful and made some fancy rushes. Was he a star, or was he just the guy that finished the combination plays? A guy like A. Hogdson didn't score nearly as much, but he gets noted for rushes as well and gets credit for things like checking. It honestly seems like writers often preferred Hogdson's game to McNaughton's. Is this a Toews vs Crosby thing? Am I reading too much or too little into certain details? I don't know... but I thought I would share.

Responding to this month-old post:

100% based on the game reports you've transcribed here Jack Campbell was a bigger star than Allan Cameron from 1887-1889. Allan Cameron seems like the best player on one of the two best teams, playing at the most important position. He feels "central" to his team. Based on this, I give him the nod as 2nd best player in that stretch, but Campbell is #1. It's not like Campbell strikes me as particularly bad defensively neither, just reads like a complete star with the greatest talent for rushing.

About stats: You came to the same conclusion I did doing systematic research pre-consolidation. Stats have almost no connection to game reports. Looking at stats is not a good way to evaluate pre-consolidation players in general.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
OK, I'm extremely late to the party, and I've skimmed the whole thread, with an eye to go back and re-skim rmartin's posts (I won't have time to read them in detail before submitting my list; I hope you repost when the relevant players show up in Round 2!)

Anyway my question - Billy Burch being eligible or not? Is it ultimately up to me in the end or is there an official hard rule? Edit - nevermind, I asked 70s privately and he said Burch is out.

Last edited:

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
1902 CAHL Season

TeamWinsLossesTiesGoals ForGoals Against
Montreal HC6203915
Ottawa HC5303515
Montreal Victorias4403625
Quebec HC4402634
Montreal Shamrocks1701562

Skater Stats
NameTeamPositionGoalsAssistsPoints
HooperMontreal HCCenter/Rover14014
Westwick*Ottawa HCRover12113
BowieVictoriasRover11011
MarshallMontreal HCRover/Center10010
B. StuartOttawa HCCenter9110
LiffitonMontreal HCRW617
RussellVictoriasLW/Center617
E. StuartVictoriasCenter/Rover617
G. CummingsShamrocksRover516
H. StuartQuebec HCCover/LW516
LemesurierQuebec HCRW505
Duval**Ottawa HCCover235
FraserOttawa HCRW404
LockeVictoriasRW314
MontgomeryQuebec HCRover314
BrightShamrocksRW303
HenryOttawa HCLW303
HoganQuebec HCForward303
HowardVIctoriasLW303
E. CummingsShamrocksLW303
PacaudQuebec HCForward202
SpittalOttawa HCCover/Point202
StanleyQuebec HCForward202
GardnerMontreal HCLW112
SmithShamrocksRW112
B. StrachanVictoriasPoint112
BoonMontreal HCCover022
AllenVictoriasForward101
BlairQuebec HCForward101
CopelandQuebec HCCenter101
GillespieQuebec HCForward101
LawrenceShamrocksRW101
HurtubiseShamrocksCenter011
Maybe DuvalOttawa HCCover011
Maybe McKennaShamrocksPoint011
Maybe WestwickOttawa HCRover011
Possibly WestwickOttawa HCRover011
Bowie or RussellVictoriasN/A415
Hooper or MarshallMontreal HCN/A213
Hooper or LiffitonMontreal HCN/A202
Boon or GardnerMontreal HCN/A101
Bowie or StuartVictoriasN/A101
E. Cummings or LawrenceShamrocksN/A101
Duval or HenryOttawa HCN/A101
Fraser or HenryOttawa HCN/A101
Gardner or MarshallMontreal HCN/A101
Henry or WestwickOttawa HCN/A101
Hogan or PacaudQuebec HCN/A101
Hogan or StanleyQuebec HCN/A101
Hooper or GardnerMontreal HCN/A101
Montgomery or StanleyQuebec HCN/A101
Lawrence or McKennaShamrocksN/A101
Russell or StuartVictoriasN/A101
* Westwick almost certainly had at least one extra point, as he was credited with either the assist or the goal on the same goal scored in game #3 on 11 January.

** Duval almost certainly had at least one extra point, as he was credited with either the assist or the goal on the same goal scored in game #1 on 5 January.

Goalie Stats
NameTeamGames PlayedGoals AllowedGAA
HuttonOttawa HC8151.88
NicholsonMontreal HC8151.88
LockerbyVictorias6152.50
MoranQuebec HC8344.25
MunroVictorias2105.00
O’ReillyShamrocks8627.75

Game #1: Montreal Victorias vs Ottawa HC, 5 January 1902
Henry scored the first of the game after a long run and pass from Duval, but then Bowie “made a whirlwind rush” and tied the game. Hutton stops shots from Bowie and Russell. Bowie or Russell passed to Stuart, who scored on his own rebound. Westwick was noted as doing “two men’s work”. Stuart scored the next one as well, this one assisted by Locke. Bowie scored next to give the Vics a 4-1 lead. Duval then takes matters in his own hands, and makes several rushes, two of them resulting in goals (one he scored, the other is disputed between him and Henry). Bruce Stuart, back from Quebec, then scored to tie the game. Westwick scores the OT winner.

A Montreal paper wrote: “The forward line of the Vics was more brilliant in combinations, but lacked the hard physique of the locals. Bowie, Russell, Locke and Stewart made wonderful dashes, and Bowie was the most prominent on the ice”

“Grant, on the defence, was steady, but lacked the old time brilliancy. His dashes up the ice, that made him famous, were a minus quantity; he blocked well, but was not over successful in lifting. McRobie put up a splendid game, but played too close in his goal, and he interfered somewhat with the efforts of Munroe, who showed in good form”

“In Saturday’s play Watts showed good dash, and his rushes were hard to stop. Stewart, Westwick, and Henry rivalled each other in brilliancy, but Westwick carried off the honors in the last ten minutes of play, when he seemed to be all over the ice at one and the same time. On the defence the honors were even. Duval was not in his usual good form, but he made many telling plays. Pulford is the same stronger player and is a difficult man to pass. Hutton in goal was superb. On three occasions, however, he was unable to get rid of the puck in time to avoid a score”

Another Montreal paper reported: “Grant had been doing fine work although he is apparently not the man he was, and he was particularly shy in the lifts he was distinguished for”

“Grant and McRobie tried an occasional rush, but Bowie failed to get up to full speed very often, although he, with Stuart and Russell, put up a good game”

“For the Ottawa every man on the forward line put up a great article of hockey, Watts doing particularly good work”

“Henry and Stewart were the most aggressive of the Ottawas”
An Ottawa paper wrote: “Bruce Stewart put up a first-rate game in center position and showed lots of judgment. He was a very successful in facing the puck and in practically every instance secured it for his side. He had a peculiar knack of sending it between his feet and each time this was worked the rubber went to another Ottawa man. Besides his ability in facing, Stewart proved very speedy. Westwick, who played behind centre, was up to usual form and worked decidedly well. He was always where the puck was, checked his opponents hard and made sure shots. Henry did matters very effectively and covered lots of territory. Watts likewise worked earnestly and made good use of his body”

“Duval, the cover-point man, was a star player in the game. His defence work was superb and he made few mistakes. A great feature about his method was his lifts of the puck which in most cases went straight from his stick almost on to the Victorias’ goal. He likewise took a hand in part of the forward line work and scored one of the games. Pulford put up a steady article of hockey at point and gave relief in many dangerous situations. Hutton, the goal-minder, had lots of hot shots to stop and did his business nicely”

“Among the Victorias, Russell, the left forward, and E. Stewart, the centre forward, did quite a lot of noticeable playing. They were speedy and sure and were well supported by Locke and Bowie”

“Grant, the cover-point, McRobie, the point man, and Munro, the goaltender, filled their positions well”

Final Score: 5-4 Ottawa HC

Rosters
Victorias: Munro in goal, McRobie at point, Grant at cover, Russell (LW), Bowie (BC), Locke (RW), and Stuart (C) at forward

Ottawa: Hutton in goal, Pulford at point, Duval at cover, B. Stuart (C), Westwick (BC), Watts (RW), and Henry (LW) at forward

OttawaHenryDuvalN/A
VictoriasBowieRussellN/A
VictoriasStuartBowie or RussellN/A
VictoriasStuartLockeN/A
VictoriasBowieN/AN/A
OttawaDuvalN/AN/A
OttawaDuval or HenryMaybe Duval
Possibly Westwick
N/A
OttawaB. StuartN/AN/A
OttawaWestwickN/AN/A

Game #2: Montreal HC vs Montreal Shamrocks, 5 January 1902
It was a massacre. Not a lot was written about the game play.

An Ottawa paper reported: “The forward players of the Montreals worked like Trojans. They are as fast a quartet on the ice as has been seen for some time. And three of them are good shots, Hooper, Marshall and Liffiton. Hooper though he only played junior last year, broke into the senior firmament as a star of the first magnitude and with every prospect of improving. He plays in front of the poles and passes from the side are taken on the fly and the shots are never wide”

A Montreal paper wrote: “Marshall, by the way, has shown what his western experience has done for him. During his visit here with the Winnipeg team he had little opportunity to prove his mettle. It is of the right sort, and Montreal was wise to snap him up. Montreal’s defence was like a stone wall. Nicholson, who has the natural advantage of being broad, filled in the remaining space between the goal posts with his arms, legs and stick, which, when necessary, were as swift as the blades of a rotary electric fan, and from which the few things that came his way glanced off as effectually. He was a good goal-keeper last year, and he has gained in repose, a repose, however, that is of a deceptive kind, and resolves in speedy movements when necessity calls. Elliott and Boon managed most successfully to protect the third part of Montreal territory that lay between the goals and the centre of the rink”

“They took advantage of this, and Hooper and Liffiton particularly distinguished themselves, while Gardner’s work was steady and painstaking”

Final Score: 14-0 Montreal HC

Rosters
Montreal HC: Nicholson in goal, Elliott at point, Boon at cover, Liffiton, Hooper, Marshall, and Gardner at forward

Shamrocks: O’Reilly in goal, McKenna at point, Brennan at cover, Rome (replaced by Trihey), Casselman, Cummings, and Lawrence at forward

I have who scored and how many, but I don’t have the order.
Montreal HCHooperN/AN/A
Montreal HCHooperN/AN/A
Montreal HCHooperN/AN/A
Montreal HCHooperN/AN/A
Montreal HCHooperN/AN/A
Montreal HCHooperN/AN/A
Montreal HCHooperN/AN/A
Montreal HCHooperN/AN/A
Montreal HCHooperN/AN/A
Montreal HCMarshallN/AN/A
Montreal HCGardner or BoonN/AN/A

Game #3: Ottawa HC vs Montreal Shamrocks, 11 January 1902
O’Reilly was a busy man in the beginning of the match, but it was E. Cummings who scored first, putting the Shamrocks in the lead. O’Reilly was put on the alert again in the next game, and this time, despite some fine defensive play from Brennan and Viau, it was Ottawa who scored, Henry or Westwick putting the puck in the net. E. Cummings or Lawrence scored the game winner.

A Montreal paper wrote: “The presence of Hurtubise on the forwards was noticed from the start. He is a fast skater and good stick handler. He was wildly cheered every time he wiggled through the Ottawa’s line, with the puck on the end of his stick, and he did this frequently”

“The Cummings brothers skate like shadows, and Brother E. is becoming a good shot. Then there is Lawrence, who is only 17 years of age, but who has the makings in him of a player of the first class. He scored the game which won the match by a side shot which puzzled Hutton”

“Goalkeeper O’Reilly made up for his poor exhibition of a week ago. He was cool, and did the right thing every time. His blocking and stopping electrified the audience, who saw the young player only needed a bit of encouragement to be made equal to the best of them. Brennan at cover put up a good game, his lifting only being deficient. This will improve in time, no doubt. Then Viau, the second new man, proved he is a good blocker in front of O’Reilly”

“Ottawa’s defence was composed of men who know what to do. They played a steady, persistent game, but it was the forwards who were lacking. Henry and Westwick distinguished themselves, but all were slow”

Another Montreal paper reported: “Their defence was impregnable, and the way that O’Reiley turned hot shots to one side made him the hero of the hour and made him deserving of a seat alongside of John Philip Sousa, he of the medals. Viau, who played his first game with the Shamrocks, put up a great article in the way of blocking the Ottawas, although he did not show much proficiency as a lifter or a skater. Brennan, at coverpoint, put up a marvellous game. He got everything that came his way, and he cleared nearly every time, much to the chagrin of the Ottawa forward line, which charged him hard. Brennan, however, is a heavily set man and might be charged all day before he would show the least tinge of a yellow streak. On the forward line were Lawrence, George and Eddie Cummings, and Louis Hurtubise, a recruit from the ranks of the Montagnards. He is a fast and dashing player, but was not in the best of condition, and tired before the end of the game. He was well watched after it was seen what kind of a game he could play, and was given the sandwich on every possible occasion by the Ottawa forward men. Eddie Cummings was the other fast man on the team, playing left wing. He also was well watched and was banged into the fence regularly as the opportunity presented itself, but he survived the rough handling, though on one occasion he was down and out for fifteen minutes , and scored both games for the winners. George Cummings, as rover, was out of his element and probably handled the puck fewer times than any man on the ice. Lawrence played right wing, and had lots of work to do, but it was plain to be seen that the company he was in was a little too speedy”

“Spittal replaced Pulford at point. He did not handle the puck more than half a dozen times all night, Duval apparently not having confidence in him, and doing all the work himself. It was a wonderful game that Duval put up, although the Shamrocks played a defence game for the major portion of the match, he saved on many occasions what looked like threatening situations. He was here, there and everywhere, and proved that he has been deservedly titled the best coverpoint playing the game to-day. His lifts were marvels, as they went straight for goal, no matter where he sent them from or how closely he was pressed”

“Hutton, in goal, put up a splendid article, stopping a number of speedy shots with body, hands and stick”

“Stewart [B. Stuart], as per usual, played a rough and tumble sort of a game, for which he was benched for two different occasions. Westwick did good work, but only seemed animated to put his best foot forward when the team was playing a man down. Chic Henry played the most consistent game of any of the Ottawas, was always on the puck, and poured in shot after shot on the Shamrock goal. Watt was not conspicuous for anything brilliant”

“Duval is certainly a wonder at cover point”

Hurtubise seemed the speediest man on the ice”

“‘Chic’ Henry played a fast game, but could not score”

“Hurtubise is the first player the Shamrocks have ever had who was an adept at loafing offside”

“O’Reilly gave a great exhibition of goal keeping; it was a treat to watch him turn the shots aside”

An Ottawa paper wrote: “The forward line was slow, a thing that Harry Westwick and ‘Chik’ Henry can seldom be accused of. Duval was easily the best on the team. He had a tremendous amount of work to do and did it well. But he could not play a whole team. Bouse Hutton, too, haad lots to do and he certainly made some corking good stops”

“Hurtubuise is one of the fastest skaters on the ice and besides has played enough hockey to learn a few tricks of the game. He was fast enough with the puck to outskate the Ottawa forwards who were after him. Then he has a very good shot”

“Then Viau at point did great work. He can’t lift- not a little bit. But he can block splendidly and there were few that went past him, though in his movements he is a s slow as molasses with the thermometer at the freezing point”

“Hutton, they knew, and Duval, they knew, and knew both as brilliant players. Westwick and Henry have been favorites for a couple of years”

Final Score: 2-1 Shamrocks

Rosters
Ottawa: Hutton in goal, Spittal at point, Duval at cover, Henry, Stuart, Westwick, and Watts at forward

Shamrocks: O’Reilly in goal, Viau at point, Brennan at cover, Hurtubise, G. Cummings, E. Cummings, and Lawrence at forward

ShamrocksE. CummingsHurtubiseN/A
OttawaHenry or WestwickMaybe WestwickN/A
ShamrocksE. Cummings or LawrenceN/AN/A

Game #4: Montreal Victorias vs Quebec HC, 11 January 1902
Not much on this one. It was apparently a rough affair, with several of the Quebec players receiving injuries.

A Montreal paper reported: “For Quebec, Pacaud, Stanley and Stuart particularly distinguished themselves through brilliant play, while for the Victorias Grant, Russell, Bowie and Stewart were the stars”

Another Montreal paper wrote: “For Quebec, Hod Stuart and Pacaud were the stars, while the Victoria forwards all played well”

Final Score: 9-5 Victorias

Rosters
Victorias: Munro in goal, McRobie at point, Grant at cover, Bowie, Russell, Locke, and Stuart at forward

Quebec: Moran in goal, Scott at point, H. Stuart at cover, Pacaud, Gillespie, Stanley, and Hogan at forward

VictoriasBowieN/AN/A
VictoriasLockeN/AN/A
VictoriasBowieN/AN/A
VictoriasRussell or StuartN/AN/A
VictoriasBowie or StuartN/AN/A
QuebecHoganN/AN/A
QuebecHoganN/AN/A
QuebecHogan or StanleyN/AN/A
QuebecGillespieN/AN/A
QuebecPacaudN/AN/A

Game #5: Montreal HC vs Ottawa HC, 18 January 1902
Ottawa starts the game with momentum, but Nicholson is up to the challenge. Pulford takes an early penalty, and Duval is forced to break up a rush from the Montreal forwards. Duval makes a rush, passes to Westwick, who gets the puck to Stuart, who scored. Nicholson is forced into action in the next game as well, stopping a rush from Henry and Westwick. Duval makes “a brilliant dash from goal to goal”, but the attempt is ultimately unsuccessful. Liffiton puts in a rebound from Hooper or Marshall. Stuart goes on a rush, but Nicholson ends it. Marshall is credited with playing well at this point. Hooper makes a rush. Westwick scores on a combination play with Duval and Stuart. Montreal ties it up after Marshall pokes in a rebound left after a shot from Liffiton. Pulford makes a rush up ice, but is stopped. Boon then makes a nice lift, a scramble ensues in front of the Ottawa net, and Liffiton scores. Hooper and Marshall go on a rush, and one of them scores the final goal of the match.

A Montreal paper wrote: “The Montreal team are well balanced. From goal out, the players are in perfect accord with each other. Nicholson was cool, letting the wide shots go by untouched, while he stopped superbly. Elliott at point blocked well and lifted nice, but showed a tendency to infringe on Capt. Boon’s territory. The latter has added to his avoirdupois since last year, and his work is more finished than ever. His speed is exceptional and his lifting accurate”

“On the forwards Jack Marshall was the bright particular star, and he was ably supported by Liffiton and Hooper, who rushed effectively. Gardiner was not up to the mark of the other players, although he woke up in the second half and made some sure dashes. The effect of Liffiton’s work was spoiled to a great extent by his being ruled off”

“The Ottawa defence put up its usual game and kept the Montreal forwards well out. Pulford blocked effectively, while Duval kept the puck in the air and made numerous runs to assist the forwards. The locals are weak on the forward. Watts while doing faithful plugging, is not fast enough in getting away to keep up with the other forwards. Stuart, Henry and Weswick are three determined, tricky players. They are not as fast as Montreal, but in fine stick handling, puck-nursing and dodging they are far superior”

“While the team is putting up a strong game this year, the services of Mr. Rogers and Mr. Sexsmith are sadly missed. Both these men were responsible for the majority of goals last year”

“Bruce Stuart and Harry Westwick did superb work”

“Westwick and Stuart worked like Trojans but they did not receive the support they should have obtained”

Another Montreal paper wrote: “It worked all right in the Victoria game when the defence went to pieces, but as lightning does not strike twice in the same place, so all defences do not get rattled, just when they are wanted to, and Boon and Elliott kept their heads, in spite of the brilliant dashes up the ice of Duval and Pulford. Duval, in the second half, certainly did some wonderful work, but he was unable to get quite into the flags, try as he would. He, of course, took desperate chances, and when he or Pulford went away up the ice, Liffiton always seemed to be on hand to pick up the puck and dash up on all occasions, being dangerous and assisting materially in each of the goals scored. Duval in the first half, lifted poorly, rarely going past centre, and being slow in his return in the second half he did an extraordinary amount of work. Watts was a very weak man and Henry was by no means in his best shape. Stewart and Westwick worked splendidly, particularly the latter in the second half making dash after dash up the centre. Hutton did nobly in goal, the Montrealers scoring each time with two or three men in on the goal-keeper, giving him no chance whatever of getting the puck away”

“Liffiton was the bright particular star of the Montreal team and was the speediest man on the ice”

“Unlike Pulford and Duval, when the Montrealers were behind, Boon and Elliott held their positions and never ventured upon the forward line, the result being there was always some one to stop the Ottawa rushes. Then both these players lifted splendidly, the returns being made very fast. On one occasion, the puck landed on Hutton’s chest with two Montrealers a few feet from him”

“... and while Pulford is probably the poorest skater playing first class hockey, he generally makes gains”

An Ottawa paper reported: “Liffiton, the right forward, and Gardner on the left side, put up a remarkably good game and were speedy and tricky. They were given good support by Marshall, the centre payer, and by Hooper, the rover”

“Boone, the cover point man, who did a clever lot of work, was really the only one who ventured out of his place, and he did not go far. Elliott, the point player, was both a hard man to pass and did lots of relief work in nice lifts of the puck. Nicholson, the goalminder, had his eyes open always and stopped many hot shots”

“Westwick was a hard worker on the forward line and covered considerable territory, and Stewart likewise played earnestly”

“Henry as left forward was fast at times and on other occasions showed lack of aggressiveness. Watts, the right forward, was somewhat on the slow side in moving about the ice and was ineffective in his stickhandling. On the Ottawa defence, Duval, the cover point, put up a great game. He played not merely a defence style, but did a lot of good forward work, and it was as a result of a couple of his rushes with the puck that the Ottawas succeeded in scoring. Pulford, the point man, handled himself fairly well but had a tendency sometimes to play a little too much out of his position. And as for Hutton, the goaltend, it was hardly his fault that Montreal scored, for it would have been pretty hard to stop some of the shots sent in”

Another Ottawa paper reported: “For the victors, Dickie Boone at cover point was worth two or three. His efforts were ably seconded by young Liffiton, who is certainly a small-sized wonder”

Final Score: 4-2 Montreal HC

Rosters
Montreal: Nicholson in goal, Elliott at point, Boon at cover, Marshall at rover, Hooper at center, Liffiton at LW, and Gardner at RW

Ottawa: Hutton in goal, Pulford at point, Duval at cover, Westwick at rover, B. Stuart at center, Henry at LW, and Watts at RW

OttawaStuartWestwickDuval
MontrealLiffitonHooper or MarshallN/A
OttawaWestwickStuartDuval
MontrealMarshallLiffitonN/A
MontrealLiffitonBoonN/A
MontrealHooper or MarshallN/AN/A

Game #6: Quebec HC vs Montreal Shamrocks, 18 January 1902
Quebec starts off hot, pressuring the Shamrocks goal considerably. Hogan eventually scores on a lift. Cummings evened the match in the next game. Stanley and Montgomery each score shortly after the commencement of the second half. Montgomery gets another one, then then perhaps next game as well (possibly Stanley). McKenna stops the bleeding, either scoring for the Shamrocks or making the pass to Lawrence for the goal. But Stuart makes a rink-long rush and scores.

A Montreal paper wrote: “Reilly fully held up his reputation in stopping hot ones. He certainly had plenty to do, and never lost his head; but one cannot keep on stopping hot shots for ever”

“Montgomery played the star game for the Ancient Capital. He was in excellent form and did his work with great steadiness and rapidity”

Another Montreal paper reported: “That Quebec won was due to their strong defence. Scott and Stuart kept the forwards so persistently in possession of the puck that it was evident that it was only a matter of time when even some of those wild shots of the forwards would find their way into the net. Then again a strange feature of the game was that it was the goal keepers who carried off the honours of the evening. Both had a good deal to do and did it well just about equally well. Apart from this Quebec was the stronger in every position. Scott and Hod Stuart on the defence, although not very pretty players, were effective at all times, and that is quite an important matter when there is a question of results. On the forward line the new men, Montgomery and Stanley, did some nice work. The former, especially, is a neat stick handler and clever skater, and should be heard from later on. Pacaud and Hogan are steady men”

An Ottawa paper wrote: “In fact, their score would have been much larger had it not been for the magnificent work of O’Reilly between the poles. He stopped shots that seemed like certain scorers and staved off defeat time and time again”

“Montgomery is one of the best stick-handlers we have seen on the ice this season. In speed and dexterity he reminds one of Arthur Farrell. Stanley is a clever and plucky little played. And both Hogan and Pacaud understand the game thoroughly”

“Both defences showed up comparatively poorly, outside of the goal men. Both O’Reilly and Moran deserve praise for the shots they stopped”

“McKenna was far and away the best of the defence men. He played a cool and effective game. Hod Stuart is essentially a forward. To put him at cover point was a crime. He only shone in his fast rushes down the ice and the facility he displayed in standing his opponents on their heads. Brennan and Scott are about on a par. Both are heavy en, slow on their skates, and poor lifters; but with their weight that tells in heading odd the rush of a fast forward line”

Final Score: 6-2 Quebec

Rosters
Quebec: Moran in goal, Scott at point, Stuart at cover, Pacaud, Stanley, Hogan, and Montgomery at forward

Shamrocks: O’Reilly in goal, McKEnna at point, Brennan at cover, Bright, Ryan, Lawrence, and E. Cummings at forward

QuebecHoganN/AN/A
ShamrocksE. CummingsN/AN/A
QuebecStanleyN/AN/A
QuebecMontgomeryN/AN/A
QuebecMontgomeryN/AN/A
QuebecMontgomery or StanleyN/AN/A
ShamrocksLawrence or McKennaMaybe McKennaN/A
QuebecStuartN/AN/A

Game #7: Montreal Victorias vs Montreal HC, 22 January 1902
Lockerby was quite busy, stopping rushes from Boon, Marshall, and Gardner early on. Marshall scores the first of the game, but the celebration had barely even died down before Russell evened the score. Liffiton or Hooper scored on a lift. Just as Montreal was looking to take over the game, Bowie scores on a rush. Bowie scored the next one as well. The rest of the game was all Montreal HC, but Lockerby could not be beat.

A Montreal paper reported: “The Vics owe their victory not so much to their forwards as to their defence and forwards together, and then Lockerby in goal was impregnable. Time and again he saved his team; in fact he was so closely pressured in the second half that it was hair-raising to see the puck go in”

“Boon at cover point put up a splendid game. He seemed to be right on top of the Vics and to him is the credit of breaking up many good combinations by Bowie and Russell. As usual, Gardner and Liffiton, on the forwards, were always in the game. They skated and shot well, but combination play was lacking”

Another Montreal paper wrote: “The Vics missed Grant at cover point, who was prevented from playing by illness at home. Molson replaced him and while he played a good game, the forwards had not the confidence in him that they have in Grant, and, therefore, played back a great deal. In goals Lockerby played a great game. He stopped shot after shot, and the defeat of Montreal can be laid at his door. He was impregnable- that is all. On the Vics’ forward line Locke and Stuart were a disappointment. They could not keep pace with Bowie and Russell, who worked beautifully together”

“On the Montreal team NIcholson hardly had enough to do to keep himself warm. Elliott at point was a little weak in lifting. Boon played a good steady game at point, and lifted the puck in on goals repeatedly. On the forward line Marshall worked hard, but not effectively, while Hooper’s work was rather disappointing. Liffiton and Gardner were both fast and played good hockey”

An Ottawa paper reported: “Arthur Lockery took his place and played a wonderful game; now it was Marshall that shot, now it was Charlie Liffiton, now it was Archie Hooper. A hundred shots straight on the net he stopped and he it was that won the game”

“Elliott at point, who played a fine game at Ottawa, couldn’t lift, couldn’t check, couldn’t do anything. Gardner in the left wing forward was next thing to a dead one”

Final Score: 3-2 Victorias

Rosters
Victorias: Lockerby in goal, Strachan at point, Molson at cover, Locke, Dr. Stuart, Bowie and Russell at forward

Montreal HC: Nicholson in goal, Elliott at point, Boon at cover, Gardner, Liffiton, Hooper, and Marshall at forward

VictoriasRussellN/AN/A
Montreal HCHooper or LiffitonN/AN/A
VictoriasBowieN/AN/A
VictoriasBowieStuartN/A

Game #8: Ottawa HC vs Quebec HC, 25 January 1902
The game was quite rough, with one paper noting that the brothers Stuart were the “principal offenders”. They did not even spare each other, Bruce Stuart once hiding Hod Stuart in the head, so, reportedly, Hod jabbed Bruce with his stick in the solar plexus. Bruce Stuart left the game immediately, and was “carried into a sleigh on this way to the train”. An Ottawa paper reported that Duval may miss the rest of the season due to “a couple fingers broken by being slashed across the hand”.

Hod Stuart scored the first of the game off a pass from Montgomery. Pacaud or Hogan extends Quebec’s lead. Westwick scores to bring Ottawa within one, but the game ends.

A Montreal paper wrote: For the Quebeckers, Morin in goals and Hod Stuart at cover point, and Pacaud and Montgomery on the forward line, specially distinguished themselves. For Ottawa, Duval put up a splendid game, and Westwick, Stuart and Chambers deserve to be specially mentioned for their good playing”

Another Montreal paper reported: “Stuart and Stanley had their hands full with one another, while Montgomery and Westwick, and Pacaud and Chambers, were also well matched. Hogan found a little more than his match in Chic Henry, who was too fast for him. On the defences, Quebec was the stronger and here it was that the local team won out. Duval and Hod Stuart both put up most brilliant games, intercepting rushes and making fine dashes up the ice. Butterworth played a surprisingly strong game at point, while Scott’s work was at most times simply phenomenal. No men on either team, however, played more brilliantly than the two goalers. Moran in particular distinguishing himself”

An Ottawa paper wrote: “Moran in Quebec’s goal did some most phenomenal stopping and the game was mostly won by him and Quebec’s defence”

Final Score: 2-1 Quebec HC

Rosters
Ottawa: Hutton in goal, Butterworth at point, Duval at cover, Chambers, Henry, Westwick, and Stuart at forward

Quebec: Moran in goal, Scott at point, Stuart at cover, Pacaud, Stanley, Montgomery, and Hogan at forward

QuebecHod StuartMontgomeryN/A
QuebecHogan or PacaudN/AN/A
OttawaWestwickN/AN/A

Game #9: Montreal Shamrocks vs Montreal Victorias, 25 January 1902
Not a ton here, but we at least get rosters and goal scorers.

A Montreal paper wrote: “Brennan, of the Shamrocks, could not get in the game, and played nothing like his old form”

Another Montreal paper reported: “The cover pint [of the Shamrocks] let a great many things go past him that should have been stopped, and O’Reilly seems not to have fully recovered yet of the nervous prostration which Montreal’s hailstorm of shots in the first game of the season gave him”

“Victorias, though fortunate in this, that their last two opponents have not been in the best of form, were unfortunate in having to suffer for the absence of Bowie. The absence of a strong man always disturbs the equipoise of a team, and besides this particular weakness, Grant, though a grand hockey player in his time, and, no doubt, a source of confidence to the younger members of the team, is hardly a source of strength. The team cannot fail to appreciate his jumping into the breach to help them out, but they should not rely too much on the kindness of the veterans”

Final Score: 9-2 Victorias

Rosters
Shamrocks: O’Reilly in goal, McKenna at point, Brennan at cover, Cummings at rover, Pright at center, E. Cummings at LW, Lawrence at RW

Victorias: Lockerby in goal, Strachan at point, Grant at cover, Stuart at rover, Russell at center, Howard at LW, Locke at RW

VictoriasStuartN/AN/A
VictoriasStuartN/AN/A
ShamrocksG. CummingsN/AN/A
VictoriasRussellN/AN/A
ShamrocksLawrenceN/AN/A
VictoriasHowardN/AN/A
VictoriasLockeN/AN/A
VictoriasHowardN/AN/A
VictoriasRussellN/AN/A
VictoriasLockeN/AN/A
VictoriasStuartN/AN/A

Game #10: Quebec HC vs Montreal HC, 1 February 1902
Stanley scored the first of the match off a combination play, but that was the only goal scored in the first half. Liffiton, Hooper, and Marshall score for Montreal in the second half, while Pacaud adds one for Quebec.

A Montreal paper wrote: “Moran, the goalkeeper of the easterners, was invincible, and stopped shot after shot in rapid succession. Scott and Stuart played an excellent game, and in fact, many ties the defence took the puck down the ice to help their forwards”

An Ottawa paper reported: “Moran in the poles was a tower of strength, stopping shots that seemed almost impossible. Scott and Capt. Stuart played a most useful game, and, in fact, several times the defence took the puck down the ice to help their forwards. But Dickey Boon was there all the time and invariably broke up their pretty runs”

“Marshall and Liffiton played a fast and steady game, but they seemed to lack the combination plays looked for, and which they must have to win the championship”

“Dickey Boon was easily the star of the match- he played with good judgment and it was very seldom a forward got past him. He brought the puck from his own end down to his opponents’ goal time after time, and if it had not been for his fast work there would probably have been a different story to tell today”

“Pacaud proved the star on the Quebec team”

Final Score: 3-2 Montreal HC

Rosters
Quebec: Moran in goal, Scott at point, Stuart at cover, Pacaud, Stanley, Hogan, and Montgomery at forward

Montreal: Nicholson in goal, Elliott at point, Boon at cover, Hooper, Marshall, Liffiton, and Gardner at forward

QuebecStanleyN/AN/A
MontrealLiffitonN/AN/A
MontrealHooperN/AN/A
MontrealMarshallN/AN/A
QuebecPacaudN/AN/A

Game #11: Montreal Shamrocks vs Ottawa HC, 1 February 1902
It took a while for someone to score, but once they did, it seemingly never stopped. Ottawa shut out the Shamrocks 12-0.

A Montreal paper wrote: “E. Cummings and Hurtubise did fairly well on the forward line. Brennan lifted well, but he and Viau were rather slow for the position. O’Reilly stopped well. Duval, Westwick and Stuart did the greater portion of the work for the Ottawas. Spittal put up a good game at right wing, and when in shape will strengthen the line”

Another Montreal paper reported: “Spittal played his place to perfection, and was generally found where he was expected to be. Many of the goals scored were from passes made by him. Duval, at point, succeeded in blocking many a run on goal. In the earlier part of the game Pulford, at point, used his body with telling effect, but still in a perfectly legal manner, with the result that, with the exception of Cummings at right, the Shamrock forward line were seized with ague when they saw him coming, and invariably passed the puck at random”

“Hutton, in goal for the home team, was given only about half a dozen chances, but he handled them well”

An Ottawa paper wrote: “Duval at point proved a stonewall of defence and spoiled many a rush by the Shamrocks. In the earlier stages of the game Pulford used his body with telling force, but, according to Hoyle, and succeeded in instilling a wholesome fear into the visiting forward line”

Another Ottawa paper reported: “Outside of O’Reilly, who is a fair master of the position between the flags, the aggregation has not one man that is really fit for senior company. Bright, on the forward line, would have been better at home reading the bulletins. Hurtubise, who played center, was a good worker and has the theory all right but he was very awkward on his blades”

“G. Cummings, behind center for the guests, was about the pick of the bunch and at times put up a clever, lonely game. E. Cummings on the right wing played a fair article, also, but Henry got the rubber away from him easily. The forward line had no combination, while Jack Brennan at cover and Viau, the Montagnard habitant at point made a close run for the booby prize for artistic awkwardness”

“Spittal is a heady player and he is faster than the average. He is the one who should have held down a place on the team all season and had he been in the game it is safe to say that Ottawa would have occupied a higher position in the club standing than now”

“Hutton easily blocked the few shots which the SHamrocks sent in and Duval and Pulford played most of the time up past center of the ice. Stuart showed better judgment than previously in getting directly in front of the flags in a rush down the ice and the attempts to score were therefore more effective. Westwick was as usual fast and clever, and Henry put up a good game”

Final Score: 12-0 Ottawa HC

Rosters
Shamrocks: O’Reilly in goal, Viau at point, Brennan at cover, G. Cummings (rover), Hurtubise (center), Bright (RW), and E. Cummings (LW) at forward

Ottawa: Hutton in goal, Pulford at point, Duval at cover, Westwick (cover), Stuart (center), Henry (LW), and Spittal (RW) at forward

OttawaStuartN/AN/A
OttawaStuartN/AN/A
OttawaDuvalN/AN/A
OttawaSpittalN/AN/A
OttawaStuartN/AN/A
OttawaWestwickN/AN/A
OttawaHenryN/AN/A
OttawaWestwickN/AN/A
OttawaWestwickN/AN/A
OttawaHenryN/AN/A
OttawaSpittalN/AN/A
OttawaWestwickN/AN/A

Game #12: Montreal HC vs Quebec HC, 8 February 1902
The match started out with some back-and-forth action,with both goalies having to make some saves, but soon devolved into sloppy play. Both teams had penalty issues; “Hod Stuart went off three times Hogan 2, and Pacaud and Montgomery once. Of the Montrealers, Elliott went off three times, Liffiton twice and Gardner once”. Unfortunately, there isn’t a strong play-by-play, but a couple papers provided a list of scorers.

A Montreal paper wrote: “For the Montrealers it is only fair to say that one and all put up a good game, but Hooper and Marshall, on the forward line, deserve special mention. Stuart was the star of the Quebec team, and was well supported by Scott and Moran, the latter frequently stopping some very dangerous shots, while Pacaud put up a plucky game for the forwards”

Another Montreal paper reported: Of the Quebec team Hod Stuart played hard, and so did Charlie Scott, while Pacaud and Montgomery were the only men who showed up on the forward line”

“For the Montrealers, Nicholson did wonders, while Elliott played his best game this season, though, like Hod Stuart, he was much too rough. Boon was the star of the entire fourteen men, and it would be hard to say whether Marshall, Liffiton, or Hooper was the more brilliant. Gardner was very poor”

Final Score: 7-1 Montreal HC

Rosters
Montreal: Nicholson in goal, Elliott at point, Boon at cover, Gardner, Marshall, Hooper, and Liffiton at forward

Quebec: Moran in goal, Scott at point, Stuart at cover, Pacaud, Montgomery, Hogan, and Lemesurier at forward

MontrealMarshallN/AN/A
QuebecLemesurierN/AN/A
MontrealHooper or LiffitonN/AN/A
MontrealGardner or HooperN/AN/A
MontrealHooperN/AN/A
MontrealHooper or MarshallN/AN/A
MontrealHooperN/AN/A
MontrealGardner or MarshallN/AN/A

Game #13: Ottawa HC vs Montreal Victorias, 8 February 1902
Ottawa starts off pressuring the Victoria net, but Grant and Strachan clear. Ottawa makes another attempt, and a scrum ensues in front of the goal. Westwick scores. Howard scores for the Vics to tie the game. Bowie scores on “one of his beautiful rushes”, giving the Vics the lead. Westwick scores after the half, then Stuart scores.

A Montreal paper wrote: “Westwick, Stuart, Fraser and Henry, who were on the forward line, broke through the Victorias times and again, while their defence, Hutton in the net, Moore at point, and Spittal at cover, did splendid work”

“Mike Grant, at cover point, put up as good a game as he ver did, and Lockerby stopped some hot shots from the Ottawa firing line”

Another Montreal paper reported: “For Victoria, Lockerby, in goal, and Captain Bowie showed up to advantage. Strachan and Grant, on the defence, took advantage of the leniency of the referee, and devoted too much time to the body and too little to the puck to be thoroughly effective. Locke, Howard and Russell showed up well at times, but were not strong enough to put up with all the punishment that has to be taken in such a fierce game”

“On the Ottawas the game of the evening was played by Spittal, at cover point. Not only did he play a clean defence game, but he is quite capable of jumping into the forward line in the fastest company, and in addition, is an excellent lifter”

“Moore, at point, if not graceful, was at least very effective using his body to advantage, and blocking splendidly. Hutton, in goal, had quite a lot to do, and did it well”

“He [Westwick] is just as great a dodger as ever, and time and time again succeeded in bringing the puck right down the ice”

Final Score: 3-2 Ottawa HC

Rosters
Ottawa: Hutton in goal, Moore at point, Spittal at cover, Westwick, Stuart, Fraser, and Henry at forward

Victorias: Lockerby in goal, Strachan at point, Grant at cover, Bowie, Locke, Howard, and Russell at forward

OttawaWestwickN/AN/A
VictoriasHowardN/AN/A
VictoriasBowieN/AN/A
OttawaWestwickN/AN/A
OttawaStuartN/AN/A

Game #14: Montreal Victorias vs Montreal Shamrocks, 12 February 1902
There isn’t a lot on this one. G. Cummings nearly scores, but Lockerby makes the save. Bright scores before the puck is cleared. Bowie scores after doing some “clever dodging and good stick play”. Russell scores during a scrum. Bowie scores after a “short dash”, then again after taking a pass from B. Strachan. G. Cummings scores in a scrum. No further information for the rest of the goals.

Final Score: 8-2 Victorias

Rosters
Victorias: Lockerby in goal, W. Strachan at point, Grant at cover, Bowie, B. Strachan, Russell, and Allen at forward

Shamrocks: O’Reilly in goal, McKenna at point, Brennan at cover, G. Cummings, Bright, Smith, and E. Cummings at forward

ShamrocksBrightG. CummingsN/A
VictoriasBowieN/AN/A
VictoriasRussellN/AN/A
VictoriasBowieN/AN/A
VictoriasBowieB. StrachanN/A
VictoriasRussellN/AN/A
VictoriasAllenN/AN/A
VictoriasB. StrachanN/AN/A
VictoriasRussellN/AN/A

Game #15: Quebec HC vs Ottawa HC, 15 February 1902
Again, unfortunately, not a ton of information, at least in comparison to other games . This was apparently a rough one, and, to nobody’s surprise, Hod Stuart was involved in it. Pulford, Moran, and Holliday were also notable in the rougher aspects of the game. One paper reported that Quebec only had three players on the ice at the end of the game, whereas Ottawa had six.

An Ottawa paper wrote: “Moran, the Quebec goal tender, Holliday, the point man, and Hod. Stewart, who was on the forward line, played a game in which offences against the rules was a leading part. Moran did a lot of slashing with his stick and had to be ruled off several times- a thing that is no usually the case with goal tends. Holliday was about the worst offender, using his stick rather offensively and tripping”

Final Score: 8-0 Ottawa HC

Rosters
Quebec: Moran in goal, Holliday at point, Scott at cover, Stuart (LW), Copeman (center), Montgomery (rover), and Lemessieur (RW) at forward

Ottawa: Hutton in goal, Pulford at point, Spittal at cover, Stuart(center), Westwick (rover), Henry (LW), and Fraser (RW) at forward

OttawaFraser or HenryN/AN/A
OttawaFraserN/AN/A
OttawaWestwickN/AN/A
OttawaWestwickN/AN/A
OttawaStuartN/AN/A
OttawaStuartN/AN/A
OttawaFraserN/AN/A
OttawaFraserN/AN/A

Game #16: Montreal HC vs Montreal Shamrocks, 15 February 1902
Montreal HC starts on the offensive, and Liffiton eventually scores “by a smart play and a good shot”. Hooper and McKenna are penalized. Gardner scores. The Shamrocks now start pressuring, but Boon was “generally being the stumbling block to the forwards wearing green”. G. Cummings finally scores to get the Shamrocks on the board, then he scores again after a nice rush by Smith to tie the match. Liffiton and O’Reilly have a disagreement that they attempt to resolve with hands and sticks. Hooper scores, then Marshall scores. Hooper scores again on a pass from Gardner. G. Cummings scores his third of the match. Bright makes a run, gets around Boon, and scores.

A Montreal paper wrote: “Boon and Liffiton were the only men on the team who seemed to be playing the game, the one doing all the defence work and the other all the offensive. Liffiton was all over the ice, and was the bright particular star of the fourteen men”

Final Score: 5-4 Montreal HC

Rosters
Montreal HC: Nicholson in goal, Elliott at point, Boon at cover, Marshall at center, Hooper at rover, Liffiton at RW, and Gardner at LW

Shamrocks: O’Reilly in goal, McKenna at point, Brennan at cover, Bright at center, G. Cummings at rover, Smith at RW, and E. Cummings at LW

Montreal HCGardnerN/AN/A
ShamrocksG. CummingsSmithN/A
Montreal HCHooperN/AN/A
Montreal HCHooperGardnerN/A
ShamrocksBrightN/AN/A

Game #17: Ottawa HC vs Montreal HC, 22 February 1902
Ottawa starts the scoring quickly, Fraser scoring less than twenty seconds into the match. Ottawa scores the next game as well, this time Westwick (described as the star of the Ottawas by one paper) doing the needful. Marshall makes a run, but to no avail, as Hutton was “equal to everything that came his way”. Marshall, however, solves Hutton, taking the pass from Boon after the latter’s run down the ice. Stuart scores the final goal of the match on a mid range shot.

A Montreal paper reported: “Not the least important factor of the victory was the splendid work of the Ottawa defence, in which Hutton was the particular star. Spittal and Pulford played no mean game, but Hutton repeatedly robbed Montreal, though he made more than one lucky stop”

An Ottawa paper wrote very positively of Hutton’s play, particularly when Ottawa was down a couple men.

“Pulford and Spittal on the defence are quite a proposition in themselves. In the short time he has been playing cover-point Spittal has shown that he is one of the best men in the business. A good blocker and a sure lifter, he can take advantage of any opening that presents itself and hump into the forward line in the fastest company. Pulford, if he would only stay at point, is at all times a resourceful player”

“Westwick did most valuable work from the time the whistle was heard till the gong tolled victory. Nearly all the way through he did the right thing at the right time. He showed that he has not forgotten any tricks of the game and with all that he has done to improve the game, every one would be glad to see him captain the team that would secure the Stanley Cup before he retires from the game for good”

“Boon, at cover point, broke up one piece of combination play after another. Then, on the forward line, Liffiton and Gardner made a number of brilliant rushes”

“Marshall and Hooper played hard games, but both missed a number of rather easy chances”

Final Score: 3-1 Ottawa HC

Rosters
Ottawa: Hutton in goal, Pulford at point, Spittal at cover, Stuart at center, Westwick at rover, Henry and Fraser on the wings

Montreal: Nicholson in goal, Elliott at point, Boon at cover, Marshall at center, Hooper at rover, Liffiton and Gardner on the wings

OttawaFraserN/AN/A
OttawaWestwickN/AN/A
MontrealMarshallBoonN/A
OttawaStuartN/AN/A

Game #18: Montreal Shamrocks vs Quebec HC, 22 February 1902
Nothing but the rosters and goal scorers for this one.

Final Score: 7-3 Quebec HC

Rosters
Shamrocks: O’Reilly in goal, McKenna at point, Brennan at cover, E. Cumming, Bright, Smith, and G. Cummings at forward

Quebec: Moran in goal, Scott at point, Stuart at cover, Copeman, Stanley, Montgomery, and Lemesurier at forward

QuebecLemesurierN/AN/A
QuebecLemesurierN/AN/A
QuebecLemesurierN/AN/A
QuebecStuartN/AN/A
ShamrocksE. CummingsN/AN/A
QuebecMontgomeryN/AN/A
QuebecLemesurierN/AN/A
QuebecStuartN/AN/A
ShamrocksSmithN/AN/A
ShamrocksBrightN/AN/A

Game #19: Montreal HC vs Montreal Victorias, 26 February 1902
The game started with some back and forth play and lifting. Liffiton was noted for his rushes. Several penalties were called. Marshall finally scores, despite Montreal being down to five men on the ice. Hodge makes a stop. Hooper or Liffiton scores. Allen’s play is praised. Bowie makes a dangerous rush, but to no avail. Boon’s defence is noted. Montreal is on the offensive, Grant and Strachan are having to work hard. “Blakchaired Liffiton, who looked like a little fiend as he was rushing about, and blonde Blair Russell, with his innocent boyish face, made desperate efforts to score”. Marshall finally scored, and the match ends 3-0.

A Montreal paper wrote: “Grant, but the way, played a great game, and the defence was a very hard one to beat”

“The Victoria defence played almost a perfect game. Grant, although he did not seem to be a favorite, covered his tracks in a way that put one in mind of the old times when the Vics were a considerable parcel in the make up of anything that went for hockey. Marshall’s game was a good one; but he was unfortunate; he got everything that was coming to him and things happening”

“Gardner also seemed to be in bad luck, at least he got things coming to him when he did not expect them, and the ice was not the easiest place on earth to recoupricate”

Another Montreal paper reported: “Hodge at this time did not do much. Boon stole several threatening pucks and Nicholson stopped a number. Afterwards, however, Hodge played an excellent game, and he won his laurels as an accomplished senior last night”

“Boon, who, by the way can stand a wonderful amount of punishment for a little fellow”

An Ottawa paper noted: “Tom Hodge played cover point in the place of Elliott. He is a better player and when it came to mixing it up, well he was right in it. To put in a word, he fells bigger than he looks and so the Vics found. Montreal defence thus strengthened played a fine game. Boon was more brilliant that usual and Nicholson made some remarkable stops. Then the forward line was certainly in it from the start. Charlie Liffiton and Jack Marshall simply couldn’t be stopped”

“Allen, the intermediate man, was the best of the bunch [the Vic’s forwards]. Bowie was away off. He was evidently afraid of his sore wrist and the ice was too heavy for him”

Final Score: 3-0 Montreal HC

Rosters
Montreal HC: Nicholson in goal, Hodge at point, Boon at cover, Gardner, Hooper, Marshall, and Liffiton at forward

Victorias: Lockerby in goal, Strachan at point, Grant at cover, Russell, Bowie, Stewart, and Allen at forward

Montreal HCHooper or LiffitonN/AN/A

Game #20: Quebec HC vs Montreal Victorias, 1 March 1902
The ice conditions were quite poor, which impacted the game considerably.

The Vics started aggressively, but Scott and Stuart repelled some attacks. Lockerby makes a couple saves for the Vics. Quebec is now on the offensive, but then Bowie goes on “an excellent run” and scores. Blair and Gillespie are dangerous, but Grant and Strachan are up to the challenge. Blair finally scores to tie the game. Moran makes some impressive saves in the next game. Stuart goes on a rush and passes to Copeland for the goal. Stuart then scores the final goal of the match.

A Montreal paper wrote: “While the Victoria attack lasted, however, there were a few narrow shaves that could be measured by inches, and only the phenomenal stopping of Moran prevented the rubber being netted. In the majority of attacks, the puck very seldom got past Stuart or Scott. The former played a particularly good game, and backed by Scott, saved the goalkeeper a lot of trouble”

“The Victorias were also strong in defence work but in the attack were not as effective as usual, though Russell and Bowie played well”

An Ottawa paper reported: “Quebec was shy of Stanley and Montgomery- two of their fastest men. But Gillespie and Blair, who replaced them, both displayed good judgment with the puck, and both could skate with the best of them and proved themselves to be in their proper company. Stuart and Scott proved to be a defence that the Vics’ forwards could not solve. Moran, as usual, put up a star game, and he is largely responsible for the Vics’ defeat”

Final Score: 3-1 Quebec HC

Rosters
Quebec: Moran in goal, Scott at point, Stuart at cover, Lemesurier, Blair, Copeland, and Gillespie at forward

Victorias: Lockerby in goal, Strachan at point, Grant at cover, Russell, Bowie, Stuart, and Allen at forward

VictoriasBowieN/AN/A
QuebecBlairN/AN/A
QuebecCopelandStuartN/A
QuebecStuartN/AN/A

Retro All Star Team
There are some tough ones here. Nicholson and Hutton were pretty clearly the best goalies in the league; Nicholson gets the nod by the slimmest of margins. Point was a challenge because no one really distinguished themselves. I went with Pulford, though I think it is pretty clear that he was a flawed player. Duval was the best cover, even if he ended up having to miss some games. Hod Stuart was probably my second option, but it seems like he was not quite comfortable at the position yet. The forwards are pretty dull, as this year I didn’t find as many references to defensive play as I did in previous years. Thus, it is basically the top scorers. I will say that Westwick was probably the best defensive forward, in addition to being one of the better scorers, so he would be my vote for MVP if I was doing awards.

Goalie: Nicholson, Montreal HC
Point: Pulford, Ottawa HC
Cover: Duval, Ottawa HC
Forward: Weswick, Ottawa HC
Forward: Hooper, Montreal HC
Forward: Bowie, Montreal Victorias
Forward: Marshall, Montreal HC

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Anyway my question - Billy Burch being eligible or not? Is it ultimately up to me in the end or is there an official hard rule? Edit - nevermind, I asked 70s privately and he said Burch is out.

Interesting, I had Burch on the list I submitted. With 3 of the 4 seasons where he received Hart votes taking place pre-merger, as well as some good years in the OHA, I figured the strongest portion of his career being before the cut off left him eligible.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
we really should have talked about Burch. I don't know how he slipped through the filter. I would lean towards not including him, but we can talk about it. If he's eligible I can always give each list submitter a chance to add him if they did leave him out due to eligibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad