Proposal: Hockey Trade: Kerfoot for ??

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What is the reason Toronto would trade Kerfoot for a roughly equivalent player? Kerfoot is a versatile, multi-position player with special teams utility. He plays anywhere the coaches tell him, likes playing in Toronto, and is evidently a well-liked teammate.

Strome? It's just a bigger cap hit. And he's not signed for next season, whereas Kerfoot is locked in at a reasonable cap hit.
^ completely ignores useful contributions esp on offense RS would bring, + also dismissed that he would likely be a good value add to Leafs next season. At worst it is a cheap chance to audition this guy for a 4 yr deal after this, w/of course, a boost to the p'os

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I could see Kubalik and Rackell having appeal to Toronto depending on what the ask would be on top of him.
With the Ducks looking like they are serious about the playoffs, Rackell may be a harder get. Chicago has stated they are open for business. I don't know how Chicago feel about Kubalik so I am reluctant t0 even make a suggestion. Rackell with some retention would probably cost you a first or a comparable prospect.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
And what I'm saying is you are out to lunch.

If you would like to watch a few Toronto Maple Leafs' games, they are widely broadcast and I think you might find them rather enjoyable.
Do you really belive that the only reason someone would suggest Kerfoot is a mundane player could only be from not watching him play regularly? I assure, it’s not.

You’re actually saying that anyone who watches Kerfoot play regularly is unlikely to say he’s at best an average player?

That’s very wrong.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
With the Ducks looking like they are serious about the playoffs, Rackell may be a harder get. Chicago has stated they are open for business. I don't know how Chicago feel about Kubalik so I am reluctant t0 even make a suggestion. Rackell with some retention would probably cost you a first or a comparable prospect.

Kubalik is so hard for me to price from a Toronto perspective because Chicago is my 2nd favorite team. He's had a down year I think but I don't think Chicago cares much for Kerfoot with having guys like Johnson, Kane, Debrincat etc already...not saying they're equal but smaller guys that contribute mostly offensively is something that Chicago already has.

Do you really belive that the only reason someone would suggest Kerfoot is a mundane player could only be from not watching him play regularly? I assure, it’s not.

You’re actually saying that anyone who watches Kerfoot play regularly is unlikely to say he’s at best an average player?

That’s very wrong.

Kerfoot is a pretty good middle 6 player on a sweet heart contract that can contribute at LW/C and definitely more of a passer than a finisher, pretty tenacious on forecheck/being first to the puck.

He's a useful player for most teams.

Reactions: Ciao

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
^ completely ignores useful contributions esp on offense RS would bring, + also dismissed that he would likely be a good value add to Leafs next season. At worst it is a cheap chance to audition this guy for a 4 yr deal after this, w/of course, a boost to the p'os

Kerfoot already brings useful contributions on offence, but has the added benefit of defensive and multi-position utility which Ryan Strome does not. I fail to see how Strome would be a good "value add" next season when he is a pending UFA, unless you are saying he would re-sign with the Leafs for significantly less than Kerfoot's $3.5 million cap hit.

I would agree that on paper, Ryan Strome brings higher offensive upside, but doesn't have the versatility of Kerfoot. You'll also have to discount Strome's upside in Toronto because he will not be getting a plum assignment next to someone like Panarin. He's more likely to be the 3C and on the 2nd unit PP. I haven't dismissed anything. I've weighed the relevant context. You're just getting things wrong.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

That’s very wrong.
You can't read?

He didn't say Kerfoot is "mundane" or "at best an average player."

He said Kerfoot is "hot garbage nobody wants."

I'm saying you're pretty sleazy for making words up to put in my mouth.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Which is why gritty, tough, veteran leader Nick Foligno completely solved this problem last year! Of course! The answer is MORE toughness, not, y'know, actually scoring some goals.
You know Foligno got injured right? And if you don't think this team is soft, perhaps thats your issue.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Looking for more of a natural finisher than Kerfoot.

JT, Matthews, 88 can finish in that top 6 but Marner and Kerfoot in the top 6 aren't individual threats.

It's ALL about goals with some Leaf fans, for some reason. There's a lot more to the game than goals, Man. Kerfoot is a sound defensive player.....probably our best defensive forward. It'd be NUTS to trade him, just for more goals.

Marner is a consistent 20+ goal guy. Nylander is a 25 goal guy. Tavares is a 30 goal guy. Matthews is a 40-45 goal guy.

We have plenty of finishers on this team already. Don't need any more.

Reactions: banks

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
While I believe Kerfoot will be traded I think this happens in the offseason. The TML will need to shed Salary to put together a viable team next year.

In all honesty I believe the following player will be shopped in the offseason:
-Kerfoot
-Mrazek
-Ritchie (if he hasn’t be traded by the TDL)
-Holl(if he hasn’t be traded by TDL)
-Muzzin

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Leafs will be looking to add at the deadline not subtract. Maybe they will be happy to part with Ritchie or Dermott, but they are not trading Kerfoot unless he is need to bring back a bigger fish and that team has to have Kerfoot in the deal. Not to mention he is having a career year, and has shown up in the playoffs, he would be exactly the guy we would want to add at the deadline.
...@WTFMAN99...

Please take notes, he seems to understand how hockey actually works

Reactions: AcerComputer

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
i think if they added dermott and ritchie to kerfoot they should be able to land a top 6 finisher

So once again, Toronto's spare parts for a top 6. No team needs spare parts for a top 6. Picks and/or prospects or an equally unnecessary player(s) back for what is being offered.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
While I believe Kerfoot will be traded I think this happens in the offseason. The TML will need to shed Salary to put together a viable team next year.

In all honesty I believe the following player will be shopped in the offseason:
-Kerfoot
-Mrazek
-Ritchie (if he hasn’t be traded by the TDL)
-Holl(if he hasn’t be traded by TDL)
-Muzzin
I wish, but I think Kerfoot is useful and is a keeper; Ritchie is a tough sell, probably with negative value; and Muzzin has a full NTC until July 1, 2023 that I think the Leafs will honour.

Mrazek is up in the air depending on what else the Leafs have in mind, but he could well be moved.

Either Holl or Dermott, or maybe both, are likely gone before next season. I would rather they trade Holl and keep Dermott -- he's younger, faster, and I think still has more to offer than Holl.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
You know Foligno got injured right? And if you don't think this team is soft, perhaps thats your issue.

He was in the lineup and playing. You evaluate what you see.

What exactly about the team is "soft"? Define it. How do they address it? And these "soft" criticism look even dumber because they didn't lose to the Canadiens because they were soft. They couldn't beat Carey Price in Games 5-7. This is a situation where you literally have to "watch the games".

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kerfoot already brings useful contributions on offence, but has the added benefit of defensive and multi-position utility which Ryan Strome does not. I fail to see how Strome would be a good "value add" next season when he is a pending UFA, unless you are saying he would re-sign with the Leafs for significantly less than Kerfoot's $3.5 million cap hit.

I would agree that on paper, Ryan Strome brings higher offensive upside, but doesn't have the versatility of Kerfoot. You'll also have to discount Strome's upside in Toronto because he will not be getting a plum assignment next to someone like Panarin. He's more likely to be the 3C and on the 2nd unit PP. I haven't dismissed anything. I've weighed the relevant context. You're just getting things wrong.
RS proved he can cut the mustard without breadman.
What this boils down to is
value of superior RS offense vs overall game of Kerf, both adjusted for cost.
Don't see Kerfoot has or suggests he will improve anytime soon to make that an argument.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
RS proved he can cut the mustard without breadman.
What this boils down to is
value of superior RS offense vs overall game of Kerf, both adjusted for cost.
Don't see Kerfoot has or suggests he will improve anytime soon to make that an argument.

You're the one who claimed that Strome would re-sign for less than Kerfoot. Now you want to "adjust the cost". Which is it? Either Strome is going to be a cheaper asset than Kerfoot, or he isn't.

Kerfoot is cheaper now (and 100 % cheaper next season, contrary to your claims), his versatility is more valuable to the Leafs than a purely offensive center, and he's under contract next year. It's a clear open and shut case. None of your arguments have held any water.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
kerfoot has one good year at age 27 and leaf fans think some team will trade their younger better lw for him?

I think they are heavily overrating him based off 40 games. Not saying he isn't playing well but you have to look at age and context as well.

What's the incentive for other teams? Someone mentioned hintz before. that's ridiculous.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Not sure yet. I was hoping to see some names brought forward and then see what needs to be added on either end of the deal.

It isn't going well lol.
Because it sounds like you're looking for an upgrade and nobody is going to trade a better player for Kerfoot. That doesn't really make much sense. There's a big difference between that and wanting to trade Kerfoot and seeing who's interested in giving up some value

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Because it sounds like you're looking for an upgrade and nobody is going to trade a better player for Kerfoot. That doesn't really make much sense. There's a big difference between that and wanting to trade Kerfoot and seeing who's interested in giving up some value

Zero issue in adding to Kerfoot for the right deal.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
Zero issue in adding to Kerfoot for the right deal.

except no team is going to trade their younger, better player for kerfoot even if there is a plus because teams aren't idiots who just look at 30 game to evaluate a player.

And lets be real when leaf fans say they'll add they mean people like dermott and 2nd rounders.

I doubt any leaf fan is gonna want to add a significant plus to kerfoot because they all think he has massive value now

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
except no team is going to trade their younger, better player for kerfoot even if there is a plus because teams are idiots who just look at 30 game to evaluate a player.

And lets be real when leaf fans say plus they mean people like dermott and 2nd rounders.

Can you specifically identify where I said younger or better? You seem to have a reading comprehension problem man. Throwing out the term "idiots" in regards to other people on here is certainly a case of pot meet kettle.

JA17

Jan 24, 2022
If Kerfoot has any kind of trade value it should 100% go to an upgrade on defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad