GDT: Hockey is (sorta) back | PRESEASON: Penguins at Columbus | 6 p.m. | ROOT, NHL Network

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
- Kuhn... I know he got his points but I'm just not a fan. He goes to the net well and has a good shot. I really don't like the rest of his game and he continues to get caught flat footed in the defensive zone.

Kühnhackl gets a minus from you for yesterday? Okay... :help:

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
Kunhackl really impressed me today.

And this is a gripe that I'm going to continue making all season long whenever it comes up...what did people want to happen to the roster this off-season? We're a cap team that saw the cap go down significantly, the only cap teams improved were the ones that could create room by ditching a dead $6 million contract or two...but we don't have that, unless you're advocating the dumping of Fleury, which...alright I can get behind that a bit, but there's still the question of actually finding a replacement.

It's hard to ice a great third line when you can't afford to spend any money on it. This is a team that finished 1st in the East and went to the Eastern Conference Finals that had very few contracts that expired over the summer that plays in a league that just saw the cap go down by $6 million...I just fail to see where the explosion was supposed to happen.

keeping making that gripe all year long. people will shoot that theory down with one word, as you alluded to-- fleury.

dump fleury, whether through trade or a buy out. sign someone like ray emery to help carry the load in the regular season, and spend the 3-4 million in savings on upgrades for the bottom six or maybe even an upgrade over dupuis. maybe the team would lose a few more games in the regular season but who cares about that. they would still make the playoffs.

the team would be in a much better situation had the penguins dumped fleury. not just from a cap perspective, but it would have shown the organization is actually willing to hold players accountable for being failures.

penguins2946*

Hey, Lundqvist is a FA after this season. We have our amnesty buyouts still. One can dream.

penguins2946*

keeping making that gripe all year long. people will shoot that theory down with one word, as you alluded to-- fleury.

dump fleury, whether through trade or a buy out. sign someone like ray emery to help carry the load in the regular season, and spend the 3-4 million in savings on upgrades for the bottom six or maybe even an upgrade over dupuis. maybe the team would lose a few more games in the regular season but who cares about that. they would still make the playoffs.

the team would be in a much better situation had the penguins dumped fleury.

I would have went after Bernier tbh. I don't know if the Pens would have had the assets to get him though. It probably would start with Bennett, which is a no-go from the Pens POV. Maybe Jeffery and a pick (probably would have to be a 1st) could have worked. Also remember, we could trade for whichever goalie loses the battle in Toronto. Reimer is a quality goalie, if they aren't interested in starting him, maybe they would be open to moving him.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Not seeing many people mentioning Dumoulin played a really good game. Was really impressed by his poise. He seems ready to me.

He'll probably be the first call up for injury fill-ins this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he impresses enough to earn a relatively full-time roster spot by season end.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I would have went after Bernier tbh. I don't know if the Pens would have had the assets to get him though. It probably would start with Bennett, which is a no-go from the Pens POV. Maybe Jeffery and a pick (probably would have to be a 1st) could have worked. Also remember, we could trade for whichever goalie loses the battle in Toronto. Reimer is a quality goalie, if they aren't interested in starting him, maybe they would be open to moving him.

Jeffrey and a 1st is a bad offer for Bernier. Jeffrey honestly doesn't have much value. I would have loved to go after Bernier too, but I just don't think we had the horses.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Not seeing many people mentioning Dumoulin played a really good game. Was really impressed by his poise. He seems ready to me.

He'll probably be the first call up for injury fill-ins this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he impresses enough to earn a relatively full-time roster spot by season end.

All depends where Despres starts the year

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
All depends where Despres starts the year

Kind of assuming Despres makes the opening night roster. It would have been nice to see him playing in that game to compare him to the other guys.

The reality is we are running into a logjam on defense now and in the near future and something has to give. Unless we are just going to keep a bunch of young NHL ready dmen in the minors just because.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Looks like Despres may be paired with Letang tonight. Those two dominating would be nice to see.

penguins2946*

Jeffrey and a 1st is a bad offer for Bernier. Jeffrey honestly doesn't have much value. I would have loved to go after Bernier too, but I just don't think we had the horses.

I had a brain fart, I thought the deal was Bernier for Frattin and a 2nd. I forgot Scrivens. Yeah, the Pend didn't have the assets to get him. Didn't have a young F to spare and didn't have a young goalie to replace Bernier.

Still, the Pens could go after Reimer after this year. Maybe if Kessel and Phaneuf take a large sum, Reimer could become available. They can't have a $3-$4 million backup (insert Fleury joke here). That would be nice.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Is there any game highlights anywhere?

There's a Blues fan who captured video clips of each goal and such and was posting them in this GDT (and ours on the CBJ board, incidentally) as they happened. It's not a completely assembled "highlights package" per se, but it is video of the game that you can get to.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
- Kuhn... I know he got his points but I'm just not a fan. He goes to the net well and has a good shot. I really don't like the rest of his game and he continues to get caught flat footed in the defensive zone.

Kuhn..did what he has to do....but you could see he needs to get MUCH STRONGER to do it well. imo

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
When the Pens are winning a ton as per usual, I'm sure you'll be elsewhere.

This season will mark the beginning of the end for this current roster. They will be, when all is said done this year, the most disappointing team in the NHL. Sorry most here don't see this, but I have watched hockey for 30 plus years and the current mix of soft crusty vets will only lead to injuries and underachievement.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This season will mark the beginning of the end for this current roster. They will be, when all is said done this year, the most disappointing team in the NHL. Sorry most here don't see this, but I have watched hockey for 30 plus years and the current mix of soft crusty vets will only lead to injuries and underachievement.

Thank you for bestowing your infinite wisdom upon us hockey peons.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Kuhn..did what he has to do....but you could see he needs to get MUCH STRONGER to do it well. imo

I'd agree with this. He was pretty underwhelming at even strength. Weak on the puck and along the boards, and wasn't really able to find any soft spots in the O-zone. Thankfully he has at least another two (hopefully) full seasons in WBS to gain some more strength.

He did however do very commendable work in front of the net on the PP, especially since in Juniors his bread and butter on the PP was ripping shots from the half-wall, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad