GDT: Hockey is (sorta) back | PRESEASON: Penguins at Columbus | 6 p.m. | ROOT, NHL Network

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Ebbett is gonna be a great player for WBS probably. Probably a decent call-up, if needed.. He played a very good game. Impressed by the Kuhn as well and of course by Kobasew. This guy is so much better than Glass at least.. He showed more in this little game than Glass showed in whole season..

Bennett was very solid, but as the game went on Malkin was ruining some things with those penalties so we couldn´t see that much of BB in the second half of the game. Neal was extremely dangerous. Malkin was the worst from that line pretty clearly but I´m not panicking because Geno is the least of my worries here. Harrington was "as expected" but I have to praise Pouliot. He will be a brute force on that PP for a lot of years in Pens´ uniform. Fleury was Fleury..

Nightwing

Nov 23, 2010
Ottawa
Even if Glass is a good locker room presence...I don't think with all that he has done(more didn't do), he should be on opening day roster.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Even if Glass is a good locker room presence...I don't think with all that he has done(more didn't do), he should be on opening day roster.

I don't think he should even be in the pressbox on opening night if we can help it. He's at best our 14th best forward imo and we don't have the cap space to carry 2 extras.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I was there tonight, so I have a few thoughts.

Beau Bennett is incredible. He rarely makes mistakes and he is so creative. I love that he's getting a chance to play in the top six because he deserves to be there.

I thought that line had some really good moments, but Malkin was frustrating as hell tonight in almost every aspect of the game.

I liked what I saw from Jeffrey, Vitale, and Kobasew. If it were up to me, the three of them would make up our fourth line. The sad part is, it's likely that only one of them will be in the lineup every night.

I'm definitely more excited about Scuderi being back after tonight's game. I also thought that for the most part, the young defesemen held their own relatively well against NHL players.

Niskanen had a rough night. Tanner Glass is not good at hockey. I would be very pleased if we shipped them both out.

And Fleury is terrifying.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I was there tonight, so I have a few thoughts.

Beau Bennett is incredible. He rarely makes mistakes and he is so creative. I love that he's getting a chance to play in the top six because he deserves to be there.

I thought that line had some really good moments, but Malkin was frustrating as hell tonight in almost every aspect of the game.

I liked what I saw from Jeffrey, Vitale, and Kobasew. If it were up to me, the three of them would make up our fourth line. The sad part is, it's likely that only one of them will be in the lineup every night.

I'm definitely more excited about Scuderi being back after tonight's game. I also thought that for the most part, the young defesemen held their own relatively well against NHL players.

Niskanen had a rough night. Tanner Glass is not good at hockey. I would be very pleased if we shipped them both out.

And Fleury is terrifying.

Hopefully Jacques Martin can finally convince Shero and Bylsma that Glass and Nisky are crap. We've known it since the start of last season, but Bylsma seems to have a Beauner for the two of them.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
This newly discovered, thinnest-ever Glass bends a lot before it breaks.

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-glass-two-atoms-thick-20130913,0,6238562.story

Seriously, third line? Can it be that DB thinks he's a replacement for Cooke?

That glass is the antithesis of Glass, flexible, easily broken and an accomplishment.

Possibly? Or he just wants to get Glass as high as possible in the lines for some emotional reason. I really hope he's not stupid enough to think Glass can be anything like Cooke, so I hope that's not the reason.

Maybe Martin can do something about Glass :laugh::cry:. Vitale, Jeffrey and Kobasew are all superior to him and cheaper, except for maybe Kobasew's salary.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Change in a roster is needed most every season. But Shero doubled down on the same roster and added another crusty vet. The best thing the Pens could have done was add some youth and size up front. I predict pain for the Pens stars this year, this is simply the softest Pens roster since the Craig Patrick era. And when people start going down, you Shero supporters can kiss it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think Beau, Vitale, Chucky, and a few dmen really looked damn good. I am REALLY impressed by Beau and Vitale. Those 2 guys were just spotlights on my television all damn night. I loved their game.

Glass... I still cannot understand how he has a job. I don't get it.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I think Beau, Vitale, Chucky, and a few dmen really looked damn good. I am REALLY impressed by Beau and Vitale. Those 2 guys were just spotlights on my television all damn night. I loved their game.

Glass... I still cannot understand how he has a job. I don't get it.

Not sure what the best Glass moment was:

Failing to clear it on the PK, and then taking a slashing penalty right after out of frustration at his own ineptitude.

Or

Making a conscious decision to try to guard the puck in front of the net to allow a sprawled out Zatkoff to cover it, instead of just clearing it away, before Letestu just poked it in past his feebleness.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Change in a roster is needed most every season. But Shero doubled down on the same roster and added another crusty vet. The best thing the Pens could have done was add some youth and size up front. I predict pain for the Pens stars this year, this is simply the softest Pens roster since the Craig Patrick era. And when people start going down, you Shero supporters can kiss it.

When the Pens are winning a ton as per usual, I'm sure you'll be elsewhere.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Not putting too much weigh into this game but Niskanen was very disappointing. Don't want to see him in the top-4 if he's shooting like this. Outta of our rookie D, Harrington was pretty good.

He's not going to be in our top 4 anyway, health-permitting.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Kunhackl really impressed me today.

And this is a gripe that I'm going to continue making all season long whenever it comes up...what did people want to happen to the roster this off-season? We're a cap team that saw the cap go down significantly, the only cap teams improved were the ones that could create room by ditching a dead $6 million contract or two...but we don't have that, unless you're advocating the dumping of Fleury, which...alright I can get behind that a bit, but there's still the question of actually finding a replacement.

It's hard to ice a great third line when you can't afford to spend any money on it. This is a team that finished 1st in the East and went to the Eastern Conference Finals that had very few contracts that expired over the summer that plays in a league that just saw the cap go down by $6 million...I just fail to see where the explosion was supposed to happen.

Sotty

Nov 1, 2004
Westfalen
One preseason game and Kühnhackl did already more effective screening on the PP than Tangradi. :thumbu:
Let's hope he doesn't have as much bad luck with injuries like he had in the past two years and he should have a good season in WBS.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
+ Really happy to get Scuds back. His solid and safe game is exactly what the Pens need. I love the way he takes away the east/ west pass in front of the net.

+ BBennett... Its just hard not to like this kid and his smart neutral zone play reminds me a little of Elias.

+ Harrington and Samuelsson... Both look very good against a pretty tough player to play against in Gaborik.

+ CBJ is going to be a really good team over the next few years.

+ James Neal... When he's playing an active game, he's so much better. He seems to slump when stops moving his feet and expects passes.

- Niskanen absolutely was the worst player on the ice tonight. Bad coverage around the net directly led to two goals.

- I'm really hoping Malkin gets the bi polar out of his game. He's to good to play that way. The strange thing is that these stupid little bad habits have crept into his game over the years and I'm not sure why he's so inefficient now.

- Kuhn... I know he got his points but I'm just not a fan. He goes to the net well and has a good shot. I really don't like the rest of his game and he continues to get caught flat footed in the defensive zone.

- Pouliot... Insanely skilled but I don't think he has a stars mentality. He needs a little more Letang in his game and a little less Paul Martin. His strength issues are expected at his age but I'm not happy that it hasn't improved.

- MAF... I'm a supporter and I wouldn't really say he played that bad but there comes a time when you wonder why some goalies just find a way to lose. Also I flatout hate butterfly goalies. Give me a hybrid any day of the week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad