GDT: Hockey Club @ Devils - 1:00 PM - MSG

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Don’t give a f*** Man. It only proves what I’ve known about most of you. That you get into your hive mind BS about only hyping up your players and harping on only positive extrapolations of the bigger context which doesn’t line up with your never ending desire for Jack Hughes to be your McJesus.

NONE of you have anything to say about his constant turn overs, ill advised passes and lack of physical play. Except that “the bEsT players turn it over all the time”

Absolute insanity
I'm not sure if you are just having a tough day or this is fueled by PCP but I think you are oversimplifying it and unnecessarily crapping on your fellow posters. There are numerous posters who will note that Jack can be streaky and careless with the puck at times. He can make mental and physical mistakes. But his play has not been some uninterrupted down spiral either. He was hurt most of last season and that impacted his ability to do a lot of what he wanted to do. Before he got hurt he did some checking and was much more effective overall. I think you have to give him some time to get comfortable with the surgically repaired shoulder. We don't know what the team and doctors have told him about avoiding the worst of the contact while he continues to strengthen the shoulder. Once we know he's 100% I think we will see a return of the guy who shot the puck from anywhere and scored off the goalie's head and was an unstoppable zone entry force and creative passer. He will never be great at in zone defense in close quarters but he more than held his own outside of physical battles and he should get back to that level at least. He's still just a kid in reality. We have to show some patience.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Bottom line, I’ll be absolutely thrilled/excited/HAPPY if I can eat my words in a week or hopefully at the end of the year, and Jack has been great. I really really want to be wrong about him but when the circumstantial and statistical evidence starts to mount…it’s concerning. Winning now is great..but I want cups. Multiple cups. Can’t do that without a real #1 center who can play the game in all three zones and make plays that result in actual goals, all while staying relatively healthy

Who’s that guy for us going forward?
It's obviously Erik Haula.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
I'm not sure if you are just having a tough day or this is fueled by PCP but I think you are oversimplifying it and unnecessarily crapping on your fellow posters. There are numerous posters who will note that Jack can be streaky and careless with the puck at times. He can make mental and physical mistakes. But his play has not been some uninterrupted down spiral either. He was hurt most of last season and that impacted his ability to do a lot of what he wanted to do. Before he got hurt he did some checking and was much more effective overall. I think you have to give him some time to get comfortable with the surgically repaired shoulder. We don't know what the team and doctors have told him about avoiding the worst of the contact while he continues to strengthen the shoulder. Once we know he's 100% I think we will see a return of the guy who shot the puck from anywhere and scored off the goalie's head and was an unstoppable zone entry force and creative passer. He will never be great at in zone defense in close quarters but he more than held his own outside of physical battles and he should get back to that level at least. He's still just a kid in reality. We have to show some patience.

Unacceptable for someone who wants to tout themselves as one of the best players in the game. Period.

I saw him at his best at the end of 23, and his physicality in the Canes series was noticeable. I’ll give him that. I want way way more of that.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
I'm personally thrilled we are winning these games without Jack Hughes playing out of his mind, and with Nemec playing poorly and Luke Hughes off the ice. I think this is what actually effective coaching + reliable goaltending gets you. Once those three get going this team will be a powerhouse.

The only thing that truly worries me about this team's playoff chances is the lack of center depth.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
The team structure and coaching are clearly better.
Cotter, Noesen and most of all Kovy have been sensational additions and exactly what this team needs.
Haula is also playing much better.
So there’s some praise for you hounds.

Reactions: devilsfan950003

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Unacceptable for someone who wants to tout themselves as one of the best players in the game. Period.

I saw him at his best at the end of 23, and his physicality in the Canes series was noticeable. I’ll give him that. I want way way more of that.

Can't get on board with that. I feel like an undersized, slight of build hockey player with shoulder problems is probably not best served by throwing his body around.

Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I'm personally thrilled we are winning these games without Jack Hughes playing out of his mind, and with Nemec playing poorly and Luke Hughes off the ice. I think this is what actually effective coaching + reliable goaltending gets you. Once those three get going this team will be a powerhouse.

The only thing that truly worries me about this team's playoff chances is the lack of center depth.
Nemec didnt play poorly. He played wellly.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_9914.jpeg

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Christopher Columbus is smiling down on the devils today! wish i could've watched :( this schedule so far to start the season I've gotten to watch 1 period which was the worst they played. what a min?!?!

Columbus is definitely not looking down. That f***er is looking up engulfed

Reactions: NjDevsRR

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba

Forward depth in general is a concern if multiple guys go down. Fitzgerald has done a phenomenal job building and supporting the back end for this season and on. Next step is doing similar for the forwards. I’m sure he sees that as the next task

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I get it you are frustrated. But if he's still recovering acceptable or not it's not a lack of effort or lack of care. Tell us he's a disgrace so we can move onto what's really going on here.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Jack was especially bad in games 1,3 and 4 to start. He was fine in the second game against Buffalo and I thought he was better today. Still not where he needs to be though.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Jack was especially bad in games 1,3 and 4 to start. He was fine in the second game against Buffalo and I though he was better today. Still not where he needs to be though.
He'll get there eventually. I'm not sure what's with his slow start but it's been 5 games. If we're 15-20 games in and still talking about it, I'll worry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad