GDT: Hockey Club @ Devils - 1:00 PM - MSG

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I’m not freaking about a potential lack of cup. I’m desiring our team to have a true star player and to my eyes, Jack is a fraud. He is absolutely garbage 95% of the time. He makes a nice pass on the power play and gets his teammate a tap in goal and we’re all like “See!! He’s amazing!”

I’m freaking because if he isn’t the guy, we won’t be a perennial cup contender, period. And that bothers me. But since everyone blindly thinks he’s amazing I guess it’s all good 🤦‍♂🤷‍♂️
IMG_2145.jpeg

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
The problem is that Meier can play out front but isn’t just a net front guy. He comes away from the net and wants the puck and wants to be using his shot. He was a flank guy in San Jose but understandably isn’t here. Maybe him and Casey can get something going on unit two. Wouldn’t be against throwing Nemec on that unit with them. None of our other forwards are really built for the powerplay.

I agree on that, Meier is not using his best weapon here, which is his shot

You don't want to use him only as a net front guy, he should be in a shooting position more often

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I'd be legitimately interested in a large scale and long term analysis of faceoff percentage and PP success rates.
It would be a little tough because you wouldn’t be able to A/B the situation with enough volume.

If player B is the better faceoff guy but worse player than player A, what are the chances I get hundreds of minutes right after faceoffs with both on the PP with the same 4 guys.

You could try to tease something out but I think the noise would be so great that you couldn’t confirm or deny any great effect and could only infer some positive effect that we all already agree exists at some level.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
It’s not even just about the faceoffs. He’s really good in his bumper role and everything else he does. I would more likely put him in Bratt’s role than move him off the first unit
That's fair. I was mostly memeing. I do think that maybe we should shake up the specific forward alignment on the first unit. Who we'd be moving around specifically? shrug. I think once we have both Luke and Dougie running a unit, there's a better argument for having two more balanced units, with different looks that you can run out on any given night depending on the opponent and what's working.

It would be a little tough because you wouldn’t be able to A/B the situation with enough volume.

If player B is the better faceoff guy but worse player than player A, what are the chances I get hundreds of minutes right after faceoffs with both on the PP with the same 4 guys.

You could try to tease something out but I think the noise would be so great that you couldn’t confirm or deny any great effect and could only infer some positive effect that we all already agree exists at some level.
I think if I looked at every PP unit that has ever played's faceoff data, I would at least be able to infer the likely magnitude of the effect, which obviously exists. I'm sure somebody somewhere has done this, because they've done it for 5on5, but I can't remember having seen it for PP specifically.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
That's fair. I was mostly memeing. I do think that maybe we should shake up the specific forward alignment on the first unit. Who we'd be moving around specifically? shrug. I think once we have both Luke and Dougie running a unit, there's a better argument for having two more balanced units, with different looks that you can run out on any given night depending on the opponent and what's working.
I think once Luke and Dougie are back (or even now), if Nemec or Casey is still in the lineup we should have a 2D second unit. Don’t think anyone outside of our big 4 is a good flank player on the power play. But I think Casey or Dougie could do well there if Luke is running unit 1.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
I'd be legitimately interested in a large scale and long term analysis of faceoff percentage and PP success rates.

I'm nto gonna argue with "the eye test" because it'll say whatever you want.

But the metrics say he's been one of the best centers in the league over the past 3 seasons. And given that nobody is claiming he's better than McDavid, I don't think anyone is praising him beyond that, lmao
Zone entries…and two years ago, points.

Those are the only two stats you can use. and by every other stat he is way down this list or not even on it at all.

He can’t even win a f***ing face off. he can’t even engage in a board battle. He makes blind passes that go right to a defender, and he makes the same ramp up on the top of the circle shoot from distance power play move. He has no ability to change his game or be dynamic in other ways besides skating. Which he isn’t doing very well right now.

Reactions: Mirka the Turka

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Jack will get there. It's a new system with specific breakouts, they're not jetting the zone automatically now. Working within that is something he'll figure out.

You can see multiple miscommunications and dislocations throughout each of the five games, despite the wins. But overall, I love the way they're playing and can't wait to see where we are at by Thanksgiving.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think once Luke and Dougie are back (or even now), if Nemec or Casey is still in the lineup we should have a 2D second unit. Don’t think anyone outside of our big 4 is a good flank player on the power play. But I think Casey or Dougie could do well there if Luke is running unit 1.
Devils forwards are arguably all poor PP guys after the top 4 or 5 so let’s play Casey, Hughes, and Nemec on PP2…mostly jk but the Devils PP prowess at defense is better than at forward on a per slot basis.

Mirka the Turka

Jesus loves you
Oct 20, 2022
Zone entries…and two years ago, points.

Those are the only two stats you can use. and by every other stat he is way down this list or not even on it at all.

He can’t even win a f***ing face off. he can’t even engage in a board battle. He makes blind passes that go right to a defender, and he makes the same ramp up on the top of the circle shoot from distance power play move. He has no ability to change his game or be dynamic in other ways besides skating. Which he isn’t doing very well right now.
Watch it don’t use too much common sense

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Christopher Columbus is smiling down on the devils today! wish i could've watched :( this schedule so far to start the season I've gotten to watch 1 period which was the worst they played. what a min?!?!

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I can understand the frustrations with Jack. When he's on, he's hot... when he's not, he becomes ice cold. He doesn't have much to offer when his offense is dry.

I love Jack btw.

Reactions: SansaStark

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

I don't think it matters that much. But somebody has to play center and take the faceoffs on the first unit, and that's not really Jack's role on the PP. Therefore I think Nico has to be on the first unit.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I wouldn't like to see Timo off PP1, but if Noesen is moved there and it leads to success, how can I argue it?

Honestly, I thought that unit looked fantastic all day, they just didn't cash in until Noesen got moved there. I don't know if that's a coincidence or not, but he's had success in that role with Carolina the past two years so he's a perfect candidate to stick.

Nothing to complain about in this one, so of course there are some patently miserable people who have to find a flaw in what is taking place. We're 5 games in and the team already is playing a more connected and organized style of hockey. Let's hope this continues with the quick turnaround tomorrow.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
Tell us how you really feel.
Bottom line, I’ll be absolutely thrilled/excited/HAPPY if I can eat my words in a week or hopefully at the end of the year, and Jack has been great. I really really want to be wrong about him but when the circumstantial and statistical evidence starts to mount…it’s concerning. Winning now is great..but I want cups. Multiple cups. Can’t do that without a real #1 center who can play the game in all three zones and make plays that result in actual goals, all while staying relatively healthy

Who’s that guy for us going forward?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad