GDT: Hockey Club @ Devils - 1:00 PM - MSG

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
Under PPG. Outscored at 5v5. Only a 1.65 5v5 P/60. If that's not awful for Jack Hughes then we have different standards for Jack Hughes.

Well, last year he started really hot and then everything went wrong

We still can hope the opposite will happen this year

Reactions: Nubmer6

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Noesen stays on the first power play, replacing Meier (who goes with unit 2) after this if I'm the coach. We looked lights out better with him on the first unit. It opened up the bumper and created screens. Hope to see it again tomorrow in Carolina. (In contrast, Meier losing the puck on power play one, with a cross ice pass to nowhere). Meier will juice the second unit playing with Casey.

I also like how Hughes is playing more of a team game within an overall structure, just doing his job. I'd rather win games than see him pad his stats. Doing both together would be nice too all the same.

Actually, I'd consider moving Meier to bumper and pushing Nico to 2PP, but that's kind of sacrilege.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Finally!

ridiculous…he should have been benched and he absolutely was, and still generally is a net negative on the ice. He’s a gimmick offense only player who gives the puck away constantly and makes ill advised passes and brings nothing physical or defensively. He is light years away from being one of the best players in the league right now.
Keller looked way way better than him in this game. As do most of his higher end American peers.

Just stop with the baseless defending on this kid. He doesn’t even have a redeeming hard working personality.

Pump up Casey instead. Atleast he looks like a star player most of the time.
which one of us is having a stroke

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Book mark it. If you’re watching him play and thinking something different you’re fooling yourself.

I know I’m not the only one who sees it

Say hi to the chief for me

randle-mc-murphy-cuckoos-nest.gif

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Nice game for the Devils. Still struggling a bit at consistent 5 on 5 offense but the defense has been pretty good.

This was the opposite of last year philosophically, today the Devils dumped almost all the pucks to try and slow Utah down and make them traverse the whole ice, I think it worked fairly well.

Nemec and Casey had their best day communicating, multiple switches and coverage questions and they were pretty smooth all the time.

Meier and Hughes still aren’t meshing. If they both don’t have the puck then they often both game to the same open ice looking for the puck and when either of them has the puck they have no clue what the other is going to do. Neither is doing anything wrong, they’re just both too similar and then dissimilar at reading each other right now.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Well, last year he started really hot and then everything went wrong

We still can hope the opposite will happen this year
I think the complaint (or at least mine) is he goes through too many really rough stretches where he doesn’t play close to his best. My best way of putting it is that his B/C game is horrible and shows up more often than you would like.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Book mark it. If you’re watching him play and thinking something different you’re fooling yourself.

I know I’m not the only one who sees it
Keefe praised him in the post game the last 2 games. Said Hughes’ off the puck game has been great and while it’s not showing up on the scoresheet he’s helping his teammates at both ends of the rink.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Noesen stays on the first power play, replacing Meier (who goes with unit 2) after this if I'm the coach. We looked lights out better with him on the first unit. It opened up the bumper and created screens. Hope to see it again tomorrow in Carolina. (In contrast, Meier losing the puck on power play one, with a cross ice pass to nowhere). Meier will juice the second unit playing with Casey.

I also like how Hughes is playing more of a team game within an overall structure, just doing his job. I'd rather win games than see him pad his stats. Doing both together would be nice too all the same.
The problem is that Meier can play out front but isn’t just a net front guy. He comes away from the net and wants the puck and wants to be using his shot. He was a flank guy in San Jose but understandably isn’t here. Maybe him and Casey can get something going on unit two. Wouldn’t be against throwing Nemec on that unit with them. None of our other forwards are really built for the powerplay.

Reactions: SwissFan12

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
We won’t be sniffing a cup if Jack doesn’t start playing better so yea I’m focused on the long term… as you should be if you truly give a f*** about this team

Oh, I'm terribly sorry for being insufficiently committed to this team. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, that's me told.

I'll try to do better in the next 100,000 posts. :sarcasm:

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
Keefe praised him in the post game the last 2 games. Said Hughes’ off the puck game has been great and while it’s not showing up on the scoresheet he’s helping his teammates at both ends of the rink.
That is the biggest load of bullshit I’ve ever heard. Keefe just doesn’t want to shit on him in public but Jack played like absolute ass in both the Toronto and Caps game. He was basically adequate at best today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad