Hockey Cards - Part III

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021
I was buying Hedman YG's for $1 and could not sell them for $5 even when he was already good.
Sometimes it takes people 10 years to wake up.

Look how long people to realize that Ovie is finally "good"

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Yeah, Im starting to see defense men aren't all that collectible. Defense men like Doughty, Karlson, Hedman, etc will trade for less than most notable forwards [and goalies for that matter].

Makar I was interested in, but his buy in is already fairly high. A PSA 10 of his YG is trading around $375-400 right now [which is already more than most defense men].

I'm going to look into a BGS 9.5 Makar [or perhaps an ungraded and buy a few].

I've personally been collecting Adam Fox for a year now, and he has shot up substantially recently as a defense man.

Makar and Fox are the two I am buying. Elite D who play a very collectable style of game for big markets on the rise.

I bought just about every Fox card I could find in the past year. Value has legit gone up 5x over the past couple months and I'd expect it to double again by his Norris nomination.

Plus Fox is in a weird gray area right now where he only has a few dozen Gem Mint graded cards versus hundreds for Makar. Since PSA and BGS are backed up for a year it will be a while before the market corrects.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Makar and Fox are the two I am buying. Elite D who play a very collectable style of game for big markets on the rise.

I bought just about every Fox card I could find in the past year. Value has legit gone up 5x over the past couple months and I'd expect it to double again by his Norris nomination.

Plus Fox is in a weird gray area right now where he only has a few dozen Gem Mint graded cards versus hundreds for Makar. Since PSA and BGS are backed up for a year it will be a while before the market corrects.

I have quite a few Foxes young guns from retail boxes and buying singles. Must have at least 8-10.

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Went to a hobby shop I never knew about and couldn't believe UD S2 had a price tag of $170 USD, but had to scratch the itch. Didn't go too bad:

Romanov Clear Cut YG
Hoglander Canvas YG
Ty Smith YG

Nothing else really worth mentioning.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I was looking at purchasing a Patrick Kane Future Watch. In terms of value, I feel it is an undervalued card. I have also always been a fan of Patrick Kane since he came into the league.

Which of these two listings are the better investment card?

I did my research, and I know Future Watch cards from this year in SP Authentic commonly have condition issues. Would the condition of either of these substantially effect its valuation down the road?

Look at this on eBay
2007-08 Sp Authentic Future Watch Rc Auto Patrick Kane, 200/999! | eBay

Look at this on eBay
2007-08 Sp Authentic Future Watch Patrick Kane /999 | eBay

If someone can give me some feedback on this before I do this, I'd appreciate it.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Recent sales

upload_2021-4-28_3-10-53.png

upload_2021-4-28_3-11-8.png

upload_2021-4-28_3-11-39.png

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
So looks like it will impossible to get SP Authentic. All the preorders were sold out pretty fast and it doesn't look like any more will be available.

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021
So looks like it will impossible to get SP Authentic. All the preorders were sold out pretty fast and it doesn't look like any more will be available.

If your LCS is fair then you should be able to get some.
I never saw any pre-orders anywhere.

Nothing is ever sold out.

Series 1 and 2 were "sold out" but they are for sale everywhere.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
If your LCS is fair then you should be able to get some.
I never saw any pre-orders anywhere.

Nothing is ever sold out.

Series 1 and 2 were "sold out" but they are for sale everywhere.
DA Card World and Steel City had them up, they got snatched up fast. I imagine prices are just gonna be out of hand, which is not surprising

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
My horrible luck breaking product continues.....10 blaster boxes in for series 2. Best YG so far is a Cozens. Rest is junk.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I was looking at purchasing a Patrick Kane Future Watch. In terms of value, I feel it is an undervalued card. I have also always been a fan of Patrick Kane since he came into the league.

I did my research, and I know Future Watch cards from this year in SP Authentic commonly have condition issues. Would the condition of either of these substantially effect its valuation down the road?

Look at this on eBay

Look at this on eBay

If someone can give me some feedback on this before I do this, I'd appreciate it.

I'm wary of buying older, expensive raw cards because I'm afraid that they have already been sent for grading and missed the minimum. Especially if a seller has a ton of graded cards for sale.

Just my opinion. I'm sure I've missed out on some raw Gems because of it.

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021

Look at this on eBay

Look at this on eBay

They are both damaged and probably psa 8 at best.
But that year is very condition sensitive so you'll have to pay a premium for a high grade.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
SPGU release date. Watched zeeree open a couple, jesus that second box was rough, I would not be happy if I opened a box like that. Even that "above average" first box wouldn't pay for a box.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
SPGU release date. Watched zeeree open a couple, jesus that second box was rough, I would not be happy if I opened a box like that. Even that "above average" first box wouldn't pay for a box.

Compared to what I've pulled during my limited experience with SPGU, both of those are above average boxes :laugh:

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
My horrible luck breaking product continues.....10 blaster boxes in for series 2. Best YG so far is a Cozens. Rest is junk.

I've also had rough luck. Even more annoyed because I bought 3 boxes of hobby, and still missing about 20 cards for the base set. You'd think that could at least be completed.

Best Young Guns were Cozens, Romanov, and Sorokin. Not nearly good enough to justify what I spent, and a sign I'm done for the year.

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021
I only got 5 YG's in my Series 2 hobby box but one of them was Kaprizov so I did not cry.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I've also had rough luck. Even more annoyed because I bought 3 boxes of hobby, and still missing about 20 cards for the base set. You'd think that could at least be completed.

Best Young Guns were Cozens, Romanov, and Sorokin. Not nearly good enough to justify what I spent, and a sign I'm done for the year.

You're doing much better than me....Romanov and Sorokin are descent.

I did manage to pull a Crosby POE and a Laf Dazzlers though...so some value there. Still have 17 blasters and 30 tins (we'll see if I ever get those) incoming...so confident I'll get some good YGs at some point, but off to a horrible start YG wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00