GDT: HNIC: Rangers visit Toronto - 10/19/24 - 7PM EST SN/CBC

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Xhekaj jumping one of our players seemed like it should have been something that Reaves addressed.

If that isn't worthy of addressing, there isn't much that is.

Reaves isn't going to do much against any of the teams in the Atlantic because no one has a heavyweight outside of Montreal.

It was a tryout player who injured their star with a borderline dirty play. Given the context, Zhekaj and Reaves both reacted adequately.

These guys are hockey enforcers - not mindless beasts.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Reaves literally beat his ass last time

There hasn't been a need to do anything as an enforcer yet. None of the games we've played yet have gotten super nasty or physical. Reaves isn't gonna fight in every single game lmao.

However, he needs to be a physical presence in each game he plays

I think some of the toughest and grittiest teams are all in the Atlantic Division
Only a homer would call that fight a ass beating for Reeves, he held his own, but he didn’t dominate Rempe……….

Reactions: myleafs

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It was a tryout player who injured their star with a borderline dirty play. Given the context, Zhekaj and Reaves both reacted adequately.

These guys are hockey enforcers - not mindless beasts.

Wasn't a dirty play.

He's on the AHL team, it is the equivalent of Steeves, Nylander, Hirvonen, etc.

Xhekaj didn't act like an enforcer, he acted closer to a "mindless beast".

Is it normal protocol to get someone closer to the fighting ability of the player to fight the guy or is it to jump him?

The equivalent is Reaves grabbing Reinbacher and starting to punch him because he had a borderline play that injured Minten.

Also, Laine is a star the same way that any cap dump is, he isn't.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
No this teams window closes when Auston Matthews is no longer a Leaf, not when Chris Tanev falls off, and seeing as Matthews just turned 27, the window will be open for awhile yet.

As for the Treliving and Berube being "size queens" we've tried the small fast team and yeah it was fun to watch, 10-7 against Detroit 8-5 against the Rangers, 8-6 against Carolina 5-4 over Tampa in game 4 in 2023.

All fun memories, but you know what? They didn't win.

So yeah now It's time to get some size in here.

Last time I checked they were the heaviest team in the league and that's a good thing.
This team isn’t winning with a declining Tanev and Rielly on the top pairing. Size isn’t a problem, but it needs to be attached to players with enough skill to contribute to a breakout on the backend. A Hakanpa and Benoit third pairing will live in our own end simply because neither one can be relied upon to make a clean exit via a pass or carrying the puck.

Reactions: arso40

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This team isn’t winning with a declining Tanev and Rielly on the top pairing. Size isn’t a problem, but it needs to be attached to players with enough skill to contribute to a breakout on the backend. A Hakanpa and Benoit third pairing will live in our own end simply because neither one can be relied upon to make a clean exit via a pass or carrying the puck.

They actually have a good shot at winning it all this season. Certainly a contender

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
it's amazing the Rags didn't want to keep him, guy's hated around the league for a reason, tough to play against, but yeah be nice for someone to paste him tonight...........

Reeves is past his best before date as a elite pugilist, Rempe's the next wave and that fight won't end well for Reeves imo...........
Reaves took care of him no problem just last season. There's something to be said about experience and grown man strength.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
The clown show of Reaves continues.
Already a -2 playing 8 mins a game of sheltered time.

In all honesty I hope Rempe knocks him out :) and he retires

But then again with all that armour on it will be a typical Reaves fight of bear hugging each other.

Don cherry brainwashing continues

• Haha
Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Shouldn't this be 'Pre-Game Talk'?

Should be a good test tomorrow. More of a real team. Going to be interesting to see the lineup. Practice notes for today should be out soon.
I suggested that a couple games ago.

Just, well I hate even some trade speculation thread, it goes on for 19 pages, trade actually happens and becomes official and you want to start reading from that point but have to keep going and going, skipping however many pages at a time to get to the REAL talk.

Same thing with a GDT. Can we not just start it at actual game time? You know like "drop the f'n puck already"?

I would be ecstatic with GDT starting at or close to PUCK DROP. Fresh and easy to get into it no fuss, the meaningful talk is right there at the right time.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Anyone have the starting lines?
Maple Leafs projected lineup

Matthew Knies -- Auston Matthews -- Mitch Marner

Bobby McMann -- Max Domi -- William Nylander

Pontus Holmberg -- John Tavares -- Nicholas Robertson

Steven Lorentz -- David Kampf -- Ryan Reaves

Morgan Rielly -- Chris Tanev

Oliver Ekman-Larsson -- Jake McCabe

Simon Benoit -- Conor Timmins

Anthony Stolarz

Dennis Hildeby

Off NHL.com

Wanted to add to this... I'm liking Knies and Mcmann in the top 6 on the left wing.

How huge would that be for these guys to be clutch.

Half way through the season if they continue this type of play... get them on a good deal.

Last edited:

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I agree they look like they fit the part of a contender so far this year. I’m talking a year or two down the line when all of Tanev, Rielly and OEL are 32 or older.
Dmen can still be good (sometimes even better) in their early to mid 30's.

Experience, seen it all......

Well, with the exception of playoff sucess on the Leafs :laugh:

I'm not getting my hopes up at all, but I haven't been this intrigued to follow this team in a very long time.

I expect the inevitable failure in the playoffs, but I'm more hopeful this season than many past seasons.

This is a game I would have liked to see Pacioretty in. Holmberg isn't helping to crack Shesterskin.
F*** Patch isn't playing? God damn you Timmies!!!!! (he was my 2nd pick to score)

No free shitty coffee for me I guess.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
If you are Patches you gotta be a little mad Reaves is in over you, but also I get it because who else is on the 4th line in his place with patches in. You basically make your 4th line worse for a arguably sideways change on 3rd line

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If you are Patches you gotta be a little mad Reaves is in over you, but also I get it because who else is on the 4th line in his place with patches in. You basically make your 4th line worse for a arguably sideways change on 3rd line
I agree with the decision to put Reaves in tonight to offset the threat of Rempe.

I would have put Patches back in over Holmberg though. I think he could fit in nicely on the 3rd line.

Reactions: Burnie97

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I agree with the decision to put Reaves in tonight to offset the threat of Rempe.

I would have put Patches back in over Holmberg though. I think he could fit in nicely on the 3rd line.

My guess is they think Holmberg at his best is more impactful for our team as a center and PKer than Patches at his best, and they are hoping Holmberg works through his little rough stretch because he had a strong camp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad