Post-Game Talk: HNIC - Leafs WIN the home opener!!!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Looks like a darn good career move to me.

I don't love everything he did in Toronto, especially the "going for it" failures. But again, he didn't come up flat in many games in the post season ...
No question it was a good career move for him.

True, he didn't come up flat in many games in the post season, but the team he built did. Since his job wasn't to play well, but to build a team that did....

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
He absolutely is part of the old boys club. I just don't understand how you can just completely clear off 6 years of playoff failures from Dubas's record with a bunch of manufactured BS like he was the only GM in hockey that had to deal with Covid....and then say Treliving sucks after one year lol. You have a pre formed bias here and consistently contradict yourself in the argument by saying stuff doesn't matter with Dubas and then turning around and critisizing Tree for pretty much the exact same thing.
Dubas is driving the Penguins into the ground as we speak. The fans are dying to offload the contracts that Kyle handed out. The Jarry and Graves contracts are bananas.

I doubt you'll see Kyle make the playoffs without Matthews and Co. for a long, long time.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Dubas is driving the Penguins into the ground as we speak. The fans are dying to offload the contracts that Kyle handed out. The Jarry and Graves contracts are bananas.

I doubt you'll see Kyle make the playoffs without Matthews and Co. for a long, long time.

Once Sid and Geno retire, Kyle will be in an ever bigger world of hurt.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Also the Covid years effected us more because Dubas f***ed up the negotiations of the core players coming off ELC....something even he has admitted he bungled. You can't just say he had a flat cap so oh well nothing he could have done differently. He made plenty of his own mistakes that contributed to us failing in the playoffs. To say the GM bears no responsibility for a teams results come playoff time is so utterly ridiculous. If those teams Dubas blessed us with had of won back then would he have gotten credit for it? Or does he just not get blame when it goes badly?
Covid affected us more because we committed significant portions of our cap directly prior, not because there was anything wrong with the contracts.
I didn't say that the GM has no responsibility for results in the playoffs, but that's very different from only looking at playoff outcomes to evaluate a GM.
He wasn't perfect, but the playoff losses weren't really about him. If we had won, he gets credit for the team he built and the impact he had; not the outcome in isolation.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Covid affected us more because we committed significant portions of our cap directly prior, not because there was anything wrong with the contracts.
I didn't say that the GM has no responsibility for results in the playoffs, but that's very different from only looking at playoff outcomes to evaluate a GM.
The losses weren't really about him. If we had won, he gets credit for the team he built and the impact he had; not the outcome in isolation.
So seeing as we lost shouldn't he then get blame for the team he built and the impact he had on it? Like at the end of the day you can think the team was built to win...but it obviously wasn't. This isn't judging him on one year of playoff failures either, this is multiple repeat failures to push us into the later stages of the playoffs. The answer is yes, if we had of won he would have gotten the praise for building it. We lost so he gets the blame for the short falls. It also wasn't just Covid that tripped him up, he decided to wait as long as he could to lock them up...and then they broke out and rinsed us. He had that old dinosaur Lou's whole "if you have time use it" phrase stuck in his head and we got bent over because of it.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So seeing as we lost shouldn't he then get blame for the team he built and the impact he had on it?
Same thing. He gets credit for the team he built and the impact he had; not the outcome in isolation.
The team he built was good, and the impact he had on it was good.
It also wasn't just Covid that tripped him up, he decided to wait as long as he could to lock them up...and then they broke out and rinsed us. He had that old dinosaur Lou's whole "if you have time use it" phrase stuck in his head and we got bent over because of it.
Lou is the one that waited on Nylander, and Matthews signed in-season. Marner went to the end, but we don't know why, and we didn't get "bent over" on any of them.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Understood, as a lifelong Leafs' fan, sarcasm comes frequently. Defense mechanism.
1728942218271.gif

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
Once Sid and Geno retire, Kyle will be in an ever bigger world of hurt.
Any GM who took that job did so with the knowledge that ownership wants to run out the string with an aging core. Basically, the only choice at present is to try and win now with a core that was in its prime a decade ago. The rebuild should have started now, but probably won't until the summer of 2027.

In the meantime, Sid will keep them competitive enough to keep them out of the good drafting slots needed to help the inevitable rebuild. Then, he'll retire, and the team will bottom out for several years, get high picks, and start to rebuild proper.

Not the job I'd want, but hey, it's Kyles own fault for taking it.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Covid affected every team. Get over it. Dubas has been gone for two years and quite frankly I don't miss him, he was an irrelevant GM, a footnote in this team's history. He kept losers like Holl on this roster for way too long. Good riddance, I hope Pittsburgh fans enjoy his facade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad