Post-Game Talk: HNIC - Leafs WIN the home opener!!!

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
My kids are in the same boat.

When we moved to Calgary decades ago I tried to get them to appreciate the Flames but they were already addicted to the Leafs.
Well, your kids aren't missing out on much. Aside from '89, Flames have a pretty miserable history themselves, and Calgary is an even harder destination to keep and attract FAs now.

Reactions: ULF_55

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Yeah, we can say that, but he got a better position.
Like most professionals, you don't usually get promoted over your boss, so the option is a powerplay that fails and you go elsewhere for a promotion.
I've had co-workers who've left the company to a higher position, and then came back to two levels higher.
Dubas top of Penguins hockey operations.

Looks like a darn good career move to me.

I don't love everything he did in Toronto, especially the "going for it" failures. But again, he didn't come up flat in many games in the post season ...
Anyone who doesn't think it wasn't a great move for Dubas is crazy. It was a very good career move.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The irony is saying we have a 'worse GM' and that Berube is apparently not proven to be a better coach despite both having a longer track record with better or at least similar results. Says 'worse GM' but has nothing to actually back it up lmfao. What has Dubas accomplished in the NHL? That's an answer that they will never give you straight up.
He inherited a gold mine Dubas, literally walked into the most envious gig imaginable. And we sit here today and he objectively did nothing with it, yet he's a fantastic GM. Sure he sounds competent and has a keen mind, but he hasn't accomplished anything. It's incredible the reverence he enjoys, but these people loved him before he did anything. He won an AHL championship, a gig were you don't trade, don't draft and don't do contracts. Wow what a resume.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You defended everything Dubas did and now shit on everything Tre does
Wrong again. I have criticized and complimented things for both GMs, based entirely on the decisions themselves. You're projecting your own method of taking positions based on the GM. Unfortunately, Treliving just brings more decisions worthy of criticism.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The whole Shanny flip flop and drama and switching streams was chaotic, but Treliving was here by the end of May. There generally isn't much if any offseason that happens before then. He attended the draft; just couldn't be a part of the first pick. Treliving is the one who kept and extended Keefe. And while Shanahan reportedly made a decision on the core for that season, they weren't going to hire a GM that disagreed, and Treliving extended them.

Those weren't really the problematic decisions anyway. Point is, you can't just ignore an entire year of decisions because he wasn't here for a couple weeks in May when the past season is still ongoing and nothing happens anyway.
What exactly has Dubas accomplished to be considered any better then Treiliving at this point? Like I didn't hate Dubas when he was here....I generally root for the current GM of the team to do well for obvious reasons. He is no longer our GM and I don't see how you don't look at his time here and say it was objectively a failure. Tree is a to be determined, we will see years down the line I guess.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Wrong again. I have criticized and complimented things for both GMs, based entirely on the decisions themselves. You're projecting your own method of taking positions based on the GM. Unfortunately, Treliving just brings more decisions worthy of criticism.
So both of what I said are true. Does it every dawn on you for a brief moment, ever piece your noggin for a nanosecond, why it is that so so so many people here are agreed in your transparent act? I mean sheesh man, surely? And yet....

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
That's why I ask that he just go to the Pens board where he can be happy. His place here is beyond farcical at this point. Just leave, you aren't a Leafs fan.
I'm guessing he read some of the off-handed comments making fun of Dubas earlier in the thread and immediately strapped up the white-knight armor suit. Thou honor shall never go undefended.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Did he though? The bar Tree has to get over is 1 whole series win.
Yes he did. Of course, there's a subsection of fans that will never admit it, because they can't see beyond strictly playoff series outcomes that have little to do with him.
Not that Treliving even passed that bar anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: Zacman

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yes he did. Of course, there's a subsection of fans that will never admit it, because they can't see beyond strictly playoff series outcomes that have little to do with him.
Not that Treliving even passed that bar anyway.
Yes truly crazy to use playoff performance as the thing to judge someone whose job it was to win a trophy in the playoffs. Like how else are we supposed to determine he did a good job or not? Whether Dekes for Days thinks he signed a value contract or not? Treliving has been here for one season, if he doesn't pass the bar of a single playoff win then he will go in the failure group along with a long list of other GM's.

Zacman

Dec 14, 2009
It's so funny, the team has LIVED in their end every shift he's on the ice. Never even a cup of coffee in our end and people are still criticizing the guy. D men are coughing up the puck with blind passes up the wall when he comes bearing down on them, he's winning pucks, making smart little plays, it's great to see. Is he better than McMann in the lineup, nobody says he is, but f*** me the guy is doing a great job out there and is exactly how a fourth line should operate, heavy forecheck, dominate down low, control play. His detractors are moronic imo, get over the fighting part. The above numbers aren't a mirage, he's been that effective so far. Good.
Some posters don't want to feel happiness. It's an interesting thing to see.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yes truly crazy to use playoff performance as the thing to judge someone whose job it was to win a trophy in the playoffs.
His job was to sign, trade, draft, etc. to build a strong team. He did that and set franchise records, through some pretty difficult situations.
The players are the one with the job to win a trophy in the playoffs. The team was capable.
With less, what exactly?
Cap space, internal help, etc.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It only stops when the entire thread gets derailed into another Dubas glazing fest. This must be the 1000th thread he's derailed with this nonsense.
The worst part is that I didn't even mind Dubas. But clearly the results were not there for him in Toronto. I wish him all the best in Pittsburgh. He's not a dumb guy. He knows how long it will take to rebuild the mess that team is on its way to becoming.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Imagine over paying everyone and lamenting the lack of cap space he inherited? Sweet lord have mercy.

The worst part is that I didn't even mind Dubas. But clearly the results were not there for him in Toronto. I wish him all the best in Pittsburgh. He's not a dumb guy. He knows how long it will take to rebuild the mess that team is on its way to becoming.
I was resigned to him returning, he seemed to be figuring out that a team wasn't built using a theorem. We had big decisions to make, didn't have much time to entertain a replacement, I hoped he had grown into the job a bit, his last trade deadline was easily his best imo, at least balance wise team building for a run, it boded well.

Reactions: Jmo89

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
His job was to sign, trade, draft, etc. to build a strong team. He did that and set franchise records, through some pretty difficult situations.
The players are the one with the job to win a trophy in the playoffs. The team was capable.

Cap space, internal help, etc.
That is a wild take. So he gets the credit for building a good regular season team....but playoff failures aren't on him? Like what in the hell am I even reading right now lmao

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
The people that left got immediate promotions and/or raises. Leafs got chaos in a critical moment, a worse GM, and a worse team because of it. And while there is certainly an argument that it was time for a fresh voice behind the bench, there's really nothing to suggest that Berube is a "much better coach".

Yeah yeah, we are all still hurting for the guy that won a single series with the most talented team in decades. :sarcasm:

Thankfully most people here have higher expectations than that grifter. He was a complete failure proven by his body of work, which means much more than your biased opinion and constant love affair.

Tldr: Dubas = failure.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad