Post-Game Talk: HNIC - Leafs WIN the home opener!!!

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Up to now the Leafs were .500 or below for the season so this was a much needed win.

Glad to see Pacioretty starting on the first unit power play instead of Knies or Robertson. He totally earned it in those two games he's played for the team so far. The league's most equitable meritocracy continues.

To be fair once Pacioretty showed how awful he can be Berube benched him.

Benoit and Holmberg also got to ride pine for their careless play. So we are starting to see some accountability. Whether this same standard applies to the eight figure salaried players remains to be seen.

The penalty kill stinks.

Not sure what Holmberg was thinking on that goal. It was a personification of the whole putrid affair. To be honest the entire game wasn't very pretty and the Leafs were a little lucky to get out with the two points.

But I'm not pretty either, and while an ugly win is still a win, an ugly me is just ugly.

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Timmins too. He sucks. I don;t understand what Berube has against Liljegren to be honest. May be Lily rubbed Berube the wrong way or something lol
I agree Timmins sucks, but I don’t think the answer is Lilly, there games are pretty much identical, yeah they both can move the puck up ice, but that’s about it imo………

Feels good man...

_______

Timmins needs to go back to Timmins...

He's struggling with very routine things. Benoit had long night of covering up Timmins' coughing.

In no way am I saying that Liljegren needs to be here now..
The Pens second goal was not a good look for Timmins………

I've seen Matthews go through these slumps and I've seen Matthews score like 20 in 15 games. So I'm not worried. He can not score for 20 games straight and still end the season with 50+ goals. That's just how he is.
He’s getting his chances and the team is winning, nothing to worry about imo…….

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I agree Timmins sucks, but I don’t think the answer is Lilly, there games are pretty much identical, yeah they both can move the puck up ice, but that’s about it imo………

The Pens second goal was not a good look for Timmins………

He’s getting his chances and the team is winning, nothing to worry about imo…….

Timmins is a tire fire. Gotta get that gone ASAP

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Up to now the Leafs were .500 or below for the season so this was a much needed win.

Glad to see Pacioretty starting on the first unit power play instead of Knies or Robertson. He totally earned it in those two games he's played for the team so far. The league's most equitable meritocracy continues.

To be fair once Pacioretty showed how awful he can be Berube benched him.

Benoit and Holmberg also got to ride pine for their careless play. So we are starting to see some accountability. Whether this same standard applies to the eight figure salaried players remains to be seen.

The penalty kill stinks.

Not sure what Holmberg was thinking on that goal. It was a personification of the whole putrid affair. To be honest the entire game wasn't very pretty and the Leafs were a little lucky to get out with the two points.

But I'm not pretty either, and while an ugly win is still a win, an ugly me is just ugly.
Benoit didn’t have a good game, but who does being paired with Timmins?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
So many people panicking after the opener, seems like everyone's calmed down now which is good I guess. Don't get too high, and don't get too low would be my advice as we're only 3 games into an 82 game warmup for the real season.

So far so good, on to the next one. Still hoping for M&M to be split up and a few other changes but for the most part, so far so good.
Life would be so boring without crazy highs and crazy lows. 😁

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
So many people panicking after the opener, seems like everyone's calmed down now which is good I guess. Don't get too high, and don't get too low would be my advice as we're only 3 games into an 82 game warmup for the real season.

So far so good, on to the next one. Still hoping for M&M to be split up and a few other changes but for the most part, so far so good.
I like rollercoasters much more than merry go rounds. The ups and downs, thrills and spills.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I like rollercoasters much more than merry go rounds. The ups and downs, thrills and spills.

I dislike having to pay for the ride. I also dislike when the team has to pay for the ride. I especially dislike when the team gets taken for a ride (DUBAS KEEFE SHAMMY).

Here is to hoping Larry Ts family friend Tre gets it done. So far looks good.

Reactions: rumman

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Beauty win. Haven't been saying as much on here early on but 2-1 start is solid.

The big boys did a bit tonight.

Gotta think next game Matthews has a few points. Many might not agree but I think he's looked fine... just needs some puck luck.

If Leafs win most there games I don't really care who gets points. It's about the Leaf.
A post a game keeps the goals away.

Though I don’t think he actually clanked one last night.

Nice balance on offence so far.

Matthew Knies having a bulldozer Hyman progression will help.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Got f***ed by the refs all night long and it was still a relatively comfortable win.
Refs were absolute horse shit! Stolarz has to be the best back up in the league. The Leafs are so deep in net right now. We went from it being a weakness to a strength in one off-season. I love the system we’re playing. OEL and Tanev have been amazing so far. If Hildeby has another good game, if I’m Berube I just tell Woll to sit out and get back to 100% certainty. Can’t have him playing and randomly getting injured in practice again.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
We have only given up two high danger shots against 5v5 in three games played.
All the teams ahead of us with only one or tied with us, have only played one or two games.
For comparisons sake, Montreal has given up 12 high danger shots against thru three games.

Screenshot (1550).png
Screenshot (1551).png

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkKnight

Strangle

May 4, 2009
How do we get Bowen on TV again?

I am sick of try to sync up the radio broadcast one one gave while streaming from another input.

The TSN radio app drops out often as soon as I get everything synced up. Almost like it knows what I’m doing and doesn’t like it

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
This is probably the most likeable team since the early 2000’s. We have goaltending, we have superstars, we have a true power forward in Knies. We have actual D-men who know what they’re actually doing, and we have a coach who’s implementing a responsible system. I love this team. They’ll get better in the system as the year goes on but I’m very optimistic, penalties need to calm down however. Refs were garbage last night though

Reactions: BTP and DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Benoit didn’t have a good game, but who does being paired with Timmins?
Somehow Benoit managed to be a plus 1, Timmins a minus 1. Berube also called out his penalty as bogus. Timmins was the problem on that pair, it was plain as day. He’s really regressing, doesn’t look like any answer back there.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
All the teams ahead of us with only one or tied with us, have only played one or two games.
For comparisons sake, Montreal has given up 12 high danger shots against thru three games.

View attachment 916062View attachment 916063
How does Edmonton have only one when they have up 6 goals opening night?

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Somehow Benoit managed to be a plus 1, Timmins a minus 1. Berube also called out his penalty as bogus. Timmins was the problem on that pair, it was plain as day. He’s really regressing, doesn’t look like any answer back there.
we all knew this hes a pre season darling hes gotten worst every game f*** his confidence put lily in

Last edited:

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

View attachment 916062View attachment 916063

Those stats are just impossible

Screenshot_20241013_090537_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20241013_091456_Chrome.jpg

thats still great for Toronto but much more realistic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad