Post-Game Talk: HNIC - Leafs WIN the home opener!!!

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I wonder if any of the players, coaches, or front offices people care about winning those games more than winning any other games. My own suspicion is that it's just some fans.
I’d think Keefe would want to beat the team that fired him but maybe he doesn’t have that fire, which would explain the past. You know something like it’s just another game guys so now go out and have some fun.

Reactions: Zacman

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Good win. It feels like an actual process and we have depth and options.

Our goaltending has depth with "early adversity" that we haven't noticed. Check

We have a fourth line that is better than most other teams and they are contributing and rotating guys in (Reaves) and up (McMann). Fourth line working. Check.

We have seen that our top six, even without JT showed they can score under Berube. We also got to see some new combos; Domi-Nylander? That would split up the core four across three lines. Scoring depth. Check.

We have seen what top four NHL defencemen look like with OEL and Tanev joining Reilly and McCabe. They are great on the PK too. Top four D. Check

The next things we need to see through the process are getting the PP going and figure out the bottom pairing on the D.

Liljegren is next man up, right? Does he give Timmins a night off? Does Myers give Benoit a break? Do Myers and Liljegren replace Benoit and Timmins? Hakanpaa is out for at least eight more games.

As for the PP? I thought it looked better with OEL and Knies. Time for two units. Berube is already sharing the ice time between the two more than Keefe ever did. Maybe...

UNIT ONE
Matthews
Marner
Knies
Robertson
OEL

UNIT TWO
Matthews
Domi
Tavares
Nylander
Reilly

Each unit gets a minute and either one can start, depending on who is fresh until one of them gets hot. McMann or Pacioretty can spell Matthews if he can't got the full two.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Feels good man...

_______

Timmins needs to go back to Timmins...

He's struggling with very routine things. Benoit had long night of covering up Timmins' coughing.

In no way am I saying that Liljegren needs to be here now..
He struggles with routine things, like STAYING ON HIS SKATES.

Reactions: arso40

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
From 1st 3 game, we already see a huge difference in the defensive side.

Leafs are much better defensively and much better to protect lead. Yeah goalie did good job but the guy in front had been pretty solid overal... They give up basically nothing to Pit outside of Rakell goal all 3rd period and was the same thing vs NJ. If Toronto become better to keep their lead, they will be much harder to beat in playoff.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Some guys are still trying to regain form which is normal to start the season. The PP has been disappointing but I think finally putting OEL there will show some progress. The production with Matthews will come, just give it time still.

Despite maybe a few bad moments and our top guys still finding their season game, we’ve been the better team every game still. Our defence has looked really good. The past versions of this team have been known to a blow game like this. It’s still early but the progress lately has shown this team has potential to be better. We might start becoming a much boring team but I’ll take it since we’re usually exciting to watch for the wrong reasons.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Well deserved victory and another solid defensive effort overall.

Stolarz continues to impress and Knies was a beast. Good to see Willy and Marner get on the scoresheet as well. Matthews will break out soon.

Reactions: arso40

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
It's been an issue for years. Matthews likes to wander around on the PP and never seems to be in a particularly great one timer position.

It can't really be that hard. Tampa ran a a power play built around one timers for years and Stamkos and Kucherov seem to be perfectly capable of staying wide open for bombs.
Hedman has a bomb and teams have to respect that, ditto for John Carlson in WSH. Rielly has a muffin and also doesn't move the puck nearly quick enough which allows the opposition to reset. Of course Mo isn't the only problem on PP1 but he is a big problem.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I’d think Keefe would want to beat the team that fired him but maybe he doesn’t have that fire, which would explain the past. You know something like it’s just another game guys so now go out and have some fun.
You can tell by his post interview it was anything but another game for him

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So many people panicking after the opener, seems like everyone's calmed down now which is good I guess. Don't get too high, and don't get too low would be my advice as we're only 3 games into an 82 game warmup for the real season.

So far so good, on to the next one. Still hoping for M&M to be split up and a few other changes but for the most part, so far so good.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Had to watch this one on mute due to Thanksgiving dinner with family.

Look like they were getting hemmed in during the first half of the first, but survived without really giving up too much. That was new. I liked it.

The officiating looked terrible. A lot of missed calls against PIT and a couple softies against us. Par for the course I suppose.

The team plays completely different imo, especially after puck recovery. Rather than a 30 second regroup and allow the defending team to get into position, I find they are moving the puck up way quicker. The forwards seem to be still adjusting to this... I like it regardless and once everyone settles in I think this will be once of the biggest changes we see in playing style from the team.

Nice that a couple of the 'overpaid' guys got on the scoreboard. Just one more to go I guess lol.

Despite the few blips here and there, this group is performing at a high level on the defensive side.

OEL and Tanev are game changers. Stolarz looks more than capable.

Reactions: bax

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
200.gif

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

I know some live and die by these stats but I think this shows you probably shouldn't do that. Pretty obvious the entire team has looked pretty damn good and I think that includes Robertson and Holmberg. Production should come soon imo.
Pretty much matches the eye test. And there's fans that want Reeves, Kampf and Benoit off the team and more Robertson, Timmins and Holmberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad