U18: Hlinka Gretzky Cup 2024

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
One particular play regarding Mckenna about midway through the period he gets the puck on an outlet in the neutral zone and he finds himself getting the puck about 4 feet from the Swedish d-man who is just getting his bearings and there is tons of real estate on the left side of him

Well, Mcdavid even at 16 would have just taken that and blown right by him on the side and it would have ended either in a goal or great chance created but Mckenna as good a skater as he is doesn't have the freak other gear and it doesn't even occur to him to even try that.

As good as he is that's the difference between guys like him and Mcdavid, in other words the difference between a franchise player and a generational one.

I'd cool it on the generational talk right now, he's going to be a fantastic player but generational? might be time to take a breath

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like Desnoyers' game; smart player .. maybe a rising star out of the Q

McKenna just isn't clicking tonight. You can see the skill , some of his vision and the skating but its not easy for him out there. The Swedes can defend and skate. Not sure about penciling him in to the U20 team yet.

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I like Desnoyers' game; smart player .. maybe a rising star out of the Q

McKenna just isn't clicking tonight. You can see the skill , some of his vision and the skating but its not easy for him out there. The Swedes can defend and skate. Not sure about penciling him in to the U20 team yet.
Think he will be fine with the caliber of player he will line up with.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Think he will be fine with the caliber of player he will line up with.
He could.. still some hockey to play between now and then and still some in this tournament.

Do you think Shaeffer is ready to jump up with the U20s?

Button has made the point a couple of times of Canada trying to do too much individually. I agree with that. Just as Martin walks a D

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
We will rue that we didn't put that one in.

Great save.

He could.. still some hockey to play between now and then and still some in this tournament.

Do you think Shaeffer is ready to jump up with the U20s?
I'd be surprised if Schaefer is on the team, think there are too many older competent guys ahead of him.

You think he can make a run for the team?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I underestimated them slightly. big and physical

Is playing dancing queen necessary? we don't want t make this a home game for them.
They are the co gold fav here... none of this is surprising. Enjoying this game a lot!

DJ is trying his best to entertain the dozens and dozens of fans in attendance.lol

• Haha
Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
They are the co gold fav here... none of this is surprising. Enjoying this game a lot!

DJ is trying his best to entertain the dozens and dozens of fans in attendance.lol
Damn good game, I fear they are slowly wearing us down, that body work is taking it's toll.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We will rue that we didn't put that one in.

Great save.

I'd be surprised if Schaefer is on the team, think there are too many older competent guys ahead of him.

You think he can make a run for the team?
I don't know who he'd replace in the top 6 on the left side. He should get a chance. I was asking what role the Athletic guys saw for Yakemchuk after they posted their projected roster.. They had Parekh as a lock and Yakemchuk on the 3rd pair.
Pronman responded and suggested that Schaefer could possibly move up in the conversation that ensued. That actually gave me the idea. Likely not going to happen

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don't know who he'd replace in the top 6 on the left side. He should get a chance. I was asking what role the Athletic guys saw for Yakemchuk after they posted their projected roster.. They had Parekh as a lock and Yakemchuk on the 3rd pair.
Pronman responded and suggested that Schaefer could possibly move up in the conversation that ensued. That actually gave me the idea. Likely not going to happen
Interesting, thanks for that. I'm pretty lukewarm on Yakemchuk

Ad

Ad

Ad