U18: Hlinka Gretzky Cup 2024

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
SVK 2:5 USA

All the reports that I could find mention that it was a close game (1:1,1:3,0:1) Last goal was an empty netter.

Goals: Zubek, Chrenko

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Exhibition means nothing
Amazing win but at the same time really scary lol. How many times we experienced great friendly results and then completely blew out at the final tourney.

As you say exibition means nothing, but it can be some sort of estimate of the strength of the team. This 2007 year is exceptionaly strong for czech standards, we are legit gold favourites for Hlinka and medal contenders for U18 WCH, nothing else then medal should not be a goal there.

Which is scary, because Czech teams amongst all categories usually dont fare well when they are considered favourites at some tournament lol. I can already see this team fail miserably at both Hlinka and WCH. I hope thats just pesimism talking lol.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Amazing win but at the same time really scary lol. How many times we experienced great friendly results and then completely blew out at the final tourney.

As you say exibition means nothing, but it can be some sort of estimate of the strength of the team. This 2007 year is exceptionaly strong for czech standards, we are legit gold favourites for Hlinka and medal contenders for U18 WCH, nothing else then medal should not be a goal there.

Which is scary, because Czech teams amongst all categories usually dont fare well when they are considered favourites at some tournament lol. I can already see this team fail miserably at both Hlinka and WCH. I hope thats just pesimism talking lol.
On the contrary, I don't remember such a young selection winning in preparation on a foreign field against such a good opponent. We probably lost every time (often by a lot) and then in the tournament we hoped to improve (which usually happened). Good for me, why still be scared when I have reason to be optimistic😋

Reactions: czechcanadian

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
On the contrary, I don't remember such a young selection winning in preparation on a foreign field against such a good opponent. We probably lost every time (often by a lot) and then in the tournament we hoped to improve (which usually happened). Good for me, why still be scared when I have reason to be optimistic😋
In 2018, the first time Hlinka moved to Canada, Czechs beat Canada in the friendly game 4:3. That was the 2001 generation squad, which up until that point had pretty promising results too. They then bombed at the draft and so far they have been bombing in NA as well, Raska is the only guy from that squad who played in the NHL...
At that tournament they followed the win by getting shutout twice iirc in the group and finishing 6th.

This year's squad is definitely better on paper, but being as good as they were at the U16/U17 levels, dominating Switzerland in Davos (in the 2nd game, 1st one was closer than the result would indicate) and now scoring 6 against a stacked Canada team. Feels too good to be true, almost the perfect set-up for a failure after sky high expectations.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
In 2018, the first time Hlinka moved to Canada, Czechs beat Canada in the friendly game 4:3. That was the 2001 generation squad, which up until that point had pretty promising results too. They then bombed at the draft and so far they have been bombing in NA as well, Raska is the only guy from that squad who played in the NHL...
At that tournament they followed the win by getting shutout twice iirc in the group and finishing 6th.

This year's squad is definitely better on paper, but being as good as they were at the U16/U17 levels, dominating Switzerland in Davos (in the 2nd game, 1st one was closer than the result would indicate) and now scoring 6 against a stacked Canada team. Feels too good to be true, almost the perfect set-up for a failure after sky high expectations.
The first game against Switzerland was the first game of the season, the far more important indicator for me was the second game when we played much better and clearly dominated. And above all, this team also played better last year and had better results than any Czech team in the U17 category, when they played perhaps only one really bad match against the USA (in the WHC group), and then we almost beat them in the semi-finals, missing a second .. There is reason for optimism here. And I really don't like repeating that we are not the favorites for a good position, when it seems quite exceptionally that we really are among the favorites.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wooren

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Exhibition or not that's a good win for this Czech team. Confidence builder for what is a strong side for them this year

I don't agree with it that much. Sure, things can be different in the tournament, but.. If that team didn't have the quality, they would never have beaten Canada in the strongest lineup. And in Canada too.
This can't be undersold, beating Canada at this thing at home.

Reactions: Goodman68

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

And orrforever says I am pessimistic.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
The first game against Switzerland was the first game of the season, the far more important indicator for me was the second game when we played much better and clearly dominated. And above all, this team also played better last year and had better results than any Czech team in the U17 category, when they played perhaps only one really bad match against the USA (in the WHC group), and then we almost beat them in the semi-finals, missing a second .. There is reason for optimism here. And I really don't like repeating that we are not the favorites for a good position, when it seems quite exceptionally that we really are among the favorites.
I don't disagree, just that the 01-born generation shared some similarities pre-Hlinka and they turned out to be a very poor generation. But this squad looks on paper better with far bigger pool of interesting players.

Let's hope for the best, a win tomorrow against USA would be a huge relief to start the tournament.

Reactions: Goodman68

Draftin Europe

@draftin_europe
Oct 21, 2017

Finns mostly same as I have except no goalies Kerkola/Sammalniemi ranked
Should have typed "skaters" rather than "prospects" in that tweet, since it is a skaters-only list (like Central Scouting International Skaters list), as written in the website release post and in the thread I started in the prospect forum:

Btw, cool to see you now seem to share our preference for Westergård at the top among Finns.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Anyone know if Finland - Germany game on the 5th is going to be online somewhere. TSN is not broadcasting that game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00