U18: Hlinka Gretzky Cup 2024

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Why is everyone having a good team this year?
Finally, Germany has a decent team to bring to this tournament, and then everybody else has a strong team as well, so we will still get blown out.

We should have a solid and deep forward group. The defense might be a bit top heavy, but still very good compared to previous years.
Goalies are a bit of a wildcard, since I am not that familiar with two of the three and the one I know, while not bad, worries me against this level of competition.

But if nothing else it should be good practice for the kids especially the ones who are expected to make our World Junior roster this year.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Why is everyone having a good team this year?
Finally, Germany has a decent team to bring to this tournament, and then everybody else has a strong team as well, so we will still get blown out.

We should have a solid and deep forward group. The defense might be a bit top heavy, but still very good compared to previous years.
Goalies are a bit of a wildcard, since I am not that familiar with two of the three and the one I know, while not bad, worries me against this level of competition.

But if nothing else it should be good practice for the kids especially the ones who are expected to make our World Junior roster this year.
To me.. Canada is a safe gold bet.

Sweden is stacked.

Everyone else is playable.

I do love the looks of Czech squad.. but no current reason to believe we are running the table. See you on day 2!

Reactions: Maverick41

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Goalies (3): Matia Birchler (EV Zug), Gian-Andri Steinmann (HC Davos), Jovin Trachsel (SCL Tigers)

Defensemen (8): Simon Bär (SCL Tigers), Gaël Haas (Lausanne HC), Saro Heyer (SCRJ Lakers), Nik Lehmann (SCL Tigers), Luca Nappiot (EHC Biel-Bienne), Flavio Sauser (EV Zug), Filippo Schmidt (GCK/ZSC Lions), Guus van der Kaaij (HC Davos)

Forwards (13): Niklas Aebli (HC Davos), Mike Aeschlimann (SCL Tigers), Noél Blaha (SCL Tigers), Arthur Dandois (Fribourg-Gottéron), Moritz Hasler (SCL Tigers), Jan Kneubühler (Täby HC / SWE), Lucien Lehmann (EV Zug), Jeremiah Mundy (HC Davos), Lauro Peter (GCK/ZSC Lions), Florian Schenk (Saint John Sea Dogs / QMJHL), Matti Schmid (HC Davos), Lars Steiner (Rouyn-Noranda Huskies / QMJHL), Daniele Wagner (AIK / SWE)

As mentioned previously, some very strong prospects on this roster but really underwhelming depth for Swiss standards. I'm therefore not surprised but unhappy to see zero underagers on this roster. Swiss 08 group is very deep and includes some very intriguing prospects. Especially upfront, kids like Nolan Rohrbach or Maxime Sauthier, among many others, could have improved that team.

A few other observations:

- only one surprise but it's a big one. Dorian Moret, the by far most veteran and most experienced defenseman, is missing. Even if you don't like his upside (which I do) you'd have to be bonkers not to select him if healthy. He was a regular on Zug's championship winning U20 team last season and he did contribute offensively. The two lineup's vs Czechia were highly experimential but Moret/Nappiot was pretty much the lone consistent combination so I think the plan clearly was for that to be the top pairing and Moret is most certainly out for health reasons. Huge blow as the defense is gonna be very green without Moret.

- In the one game vs Czechia they got to play, Steiner was listed on Schenk's wing. While I understand that it would be intriguiging to have a dominant line you can send out there pretty much knowing you're gonna get offensive zone time and momentum at the very least I also don't think it's a good idea to frontload a team lacking depth. That's especially true after not selecting any of the stronger 08 kids. Unfortunately both of them (not selecting stronger underagers and front loading already thin teams while playing kids off their best position) are tendencies I noticed creeping into coaching of Swiss National Junior teams and I don't like them one bit. I hope it was just an experiment and I have no problem if they frontload when in need of goals late in games but I hope that playing Steiner on the wing isn't part of the master plan for major tournaments like this one. You want to have your best players down the middle and while Steiner may not quite have Schenk's vision he's still easily the most dangerous forward of this team just because he's so much more mobile and dynamic than Schenk.

- I noticed both Birchler and Steinmann getting starts vs Czechia and I'm wondering if Jovin Trachsel is gonna be the nr.1 or nr.3. I expected him to be the nr.2 behind Birchler who's just the bigger name but it was actually Jovin Trachsel who dominated the U17 elite league last season. His team wasn't all that great but thanks to him they won the regular season and reached the playoff finals. Switzerland is gonna play one more exhibition game vs Germany and it's gonna be interesting to see which goalie is gonna get the start. Whoever it is should probably be the starter for the Hlinka Gretzky as well. Since they're both excellent goalies I'm fine with both Trachsel and Birchler but Steinmann should be the clear cut nr.3. Switzerland is gonna need good goaltending now that Moret isn't on the team.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
USA Players to Watch:

Jacob Rombach (LD): 6’6 defenseman that isn’t as much of a project as most players his size. Doesn’t have those elite streaks of some that size, but he’s okay in all zones. Could be a first or second round pick.

Ben Kevan (RW) Skilled forward with a good shot and high level hockey sense. He’s only of average height and speed, and doesn’t have elite puck abilities, but he has a decent chance to be a second round pick. Maybe late round 1.

Cooper Simpson (LW): The most skilled guy on the team. He plays a little like a Trevor Zegras with his puck handling and passing. Has some of the same problems as Zegras. If he plays up to his potential he’ll be a first rounder this year.

Some others to know:

Matt Grimes (LD)
Blake Fiddler (RD)
Mason Moe (C)

I wouldn’t expect that much. We could beat a Finland or maybe Czechia or Sweden, but I don’t think this team can beat Canada. A lot of strange cuts this year.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
USA Players to Watch:

Jacob Rombach (LD): 6’6 defenseman that isn’t as much of a project as most players his size. Doesn’t have those elite streaks of some that size, but he’s okay in all zones. Could be a first or second round pick.

Ben Kevan (RW) Skilled forward with a good shot and high level hockey sense. He’s only of average height and speed, and doesn’t have elite puck abilities, but he has a decent chance to be a second round pick. Maybe late round 1.

Cooper Simpson (LW): The most skilled guy on the team. He plays a little like a Trevor Zegras with his puck handling and passing. Has some of the same problems as Zegras. If he plays up to his potential he’ll be a first rounder this year.

Some others to know:

Matt Grimes (LD)
Blake Fiddler (RD)
Mason Moe (C)

I wouldn’t expect that much. We could beat a Finland or maybe Czechia or Sweden, but I don’t think this team can beat Canada. A lot of strange cuts this year.
Hayes may be one to watch too given his good 35 point 16 year-old rookie year in the OHL and with Gavin doing well. One of the youngest 2025-eligibles as well. Wonder if he might be able to crack a 3rd round type grade like his brother? Would probably help if he grows an inch or two. He's right now bigger than Avery who was a great junior player but undrafted, but smaller than Gavin.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
USA Players to Watch:

Some others to know:

Matt Grimes (LD)
Blake Fiddler (RD)
Mason Moe (C)

I do like Moe, will be interesting to see him in this competition level.

I am also personally excited to see Spehar, purely because of his dad.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Kettles looks interesting. Always good to get a look at the big kids in an event like this

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
USA Players to Watch:

Some others to know:

Matt Grimes (LD)
Blake Fiddler (RD)
Mason Moe (C)

My friend, thanks for the showing a better look of Team USA, appreciate that. In principle, even if they´ll play with the "B" team it´s still possible to find some nice players in American lineup.

It´s always useful to know more about all the teams although it´ll be quite difficult for European people to watch this tourney (at night). But for example for me no problem anyway, I have nothing to do next week so probably I'll be watching as much as I can :):popcorn:

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Curious if benak can get the 6 points for our side . Seems to be on a pretty potent lineup.
Let's hope so :) Very often it's the case that even when the player is a year older, he's unable to exceed/match his younger self. He looked great during the prep games, seemed even faster than usual. He should have a tad better linemates this year with Poletin and Novotny (not that Kos and Titlbach weren't great last year).

Reactions: Goodman68

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Emile GOATe is the one to watch. Not that bum McKenna.

How did Villeneuve not make it?

I thought he'd make it as well. My guess is they decided they had enough "offense first" style dmen with Schaefer, Hamilton, Huang and Reid, but I'm still surprised. He was one of the best Canadian dmen at the U-17, which usually goes a long way for the Hlinka team.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought he'd make it as well. My guess is they decided they had enough "offense first" style dmen with Schaefer, Hamilton, Huang and Reid, but I'm still surprised. He was one of the best Canadian dmen at the U-17, which usually goes a long way for the Hlinka team.
Could also be age. McKenna the only 2026 eligible that made it.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Let's hope so :) Very often it's the case that even when the player is a year older, he's unable to exceed/match his younger self. He looked great during the prep games, seemed even faster than usual. He should have a tad better linemates this year with Poletin and Novotny (not that Kos and Titlbach weren't great last year).
It is a beautiful trio. They are familiar with each other. Hoping for good things from them and no injuries!

Benak had a weird season but I think he has a great Hlinka (.ppg), a great USHL season and I think he makes the U20 squad at xmas as well.

Then hope and prey he does not get ignored in the draft for his size. Rossi went in round 1 so that is my hope.

Time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad