Post-Game Talk: Hit em with the 4 like AM34. Leafs lose 4th straight game 7 to Boston: 2-1

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
giphy.gif

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
lol he added andersen who could make saves and let in back breakers in the playoffs. Marner, Matthews, Nylander, brown, Kapanen all being good as rookies to augment Bozak, JvR, Kadri is what took this team into barely a playoff spot in 2017.

youre giving a guy with some moves and largely organic growth so much credit just to say another guy sucked more. Ok here have it your way one guy sucked the other guy sucked harder.

I'm saying going from last place in the league to playoffs is a great measure of improvement.

And the guy taking the playoff team and getting one playoff round in five years is pretty much a terrible stagnation, and zero growth.

I'd say one is categorically better than the other just by looking at the results.

But because you say they both "suck", let's just go with that.

Alright!

You clearly have thought this through very well.

You think your way, it seems very level-headed and sane, for sure.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Jets also had a hard time scoring in their series outside of game 1. Maybe that's partly Georgiev playing well and/or partly the Jets offense looking as feeble as the Leafs offense. Either way Georgiev also had plenty of run support to help him out and Samsonov didn't.

I wouldn't bring back Sammy next season, but the number one reason the Leafs lost this series was their complete inability to score and it ain't even close.

There's a lot of things that happened this series, in no particular order.

1.) Didn't score enough goals.
2.) 69 goal scorer gets ill in Game 2 and never skates or practices again while missing games
3.) 40 goal scorer and second highest scorer on the team gets migraines and misses 3 games
4.) Samsonov shit the bed, under .900 save percentage, over 3GAA and 0-4 against Swayman
5.) Joseph Woll plays 2 games where the Leafs dominate and gets injured
6.) Marner is invisible
7.) Tavares is declining

I think point 2 and 3 contributed a lot to less scoring. I'm sure Marner is going to say he wasn't 100% either because he's coming off a high-ankle sprain which might be true. This year the Leafs had the worst injury luck they've ever had in the playoffs.

All of the big 3 got injured in the playoffs or right before the playoffs. The Leafs best goalie got injured in the regular season, sucked when he came back which made Samsonov start in the playoffs and then got hot and injured again in the playoffs just in time for Samsonov to go 0-4 against Swayman in Game 7.

Reactions: saffronleaf

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I mean I'm glad everyone is finally on board with what I've been saying for 5 years. But firing Keefe and dumping Samsonov won't be nearly enough.

Marner? Loser. Tavares? Loser. Matthews? Loser. Nylander? Slightly less of a loser. Got a long ass way to go before this team is anywhere near ready to win in the playoffs.

Reactions: Moonman

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You're arguing they only scored 1 goal but refusing to acknowledge the game wouldn't be over if Samsonov didn't allow a soft goal.

The Leafs won 2-1 in OT in Woll in net because he made saves in OT until the Leafs got a goal.
No. I said I agree with you from the start but at the same time if the top guys actually scored more than ONE goal, the game would had been won too.
As I said before, top guys not scoring and Sammy not making that save can be true at the same time. You just failed to acknowledge that and continue to say Sammy is the only reason why we lost. While I said, Sammy is a reason but so is our top guys or team not scoring more than one goal.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Are you really suggesting the Leafs would had lost even if they scored 4 goals today?
Like if Willie scored the pass from Knies, then the JT pass where he was in front of the net all by himself, then JT managed to tip the puck on PP(I think), that’s 4 goals along with the one Willie scored.
The game might not be 4-1 but doubt Leafs would had lost.
let me answer your question with a question:

why do you think samsonov would fold like a lawn chair on a shot an ohl goalie could stop less than 2 minutes after we got the lead but wouldn’t repeat that same pattern every time they got the lead? you’re viewing things in a vacuum

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
All of the big 3 got injured in the playoffs or right before the playoffs. The Leafs best goalie got injured in the regular season, sucked when he came back which made Samsonov start in the playoffs and then got hot and injured again in the playoffs just in time for Samsonov to go 0-4 against Swayman in Game 7.
The Leafs top players were healthy last year against the Panthers and what was the result? 2, 2, 2, 2, 2. The number of goals they were able to score in each game of the series and the only game they won was because Woll let in one that game.

Sure Nylander and Matthews weren't both healthy this entire series, but based on history I don't believe that even if they were healthy that suddenly the Leafs were going to explode offensively. The Leafs had plenty of other players on the team that should be able to score but couldn't this series. Can't win if you can't score and have to rely on your goalies to steal nearly every single game.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
let me answer your question with a question:

why do you think samsonov would fold like a lawn chair on a shot an ohl goalie could stop less than 2 minutes after we got the lead but wouldn’t repeat that same pattern every time they got the lead? you’re viewing things in a vacuum
Well, we are in the what if game.
And just going to agree to disagree bc we will never know.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Flip a coin 4 times what are the chances you're gonna get tails every time? Not great but maybe

If Leafs do this same sh*t against Boston for a 5th time next year, then you start asking questions

I think the reason a there's a lot less hate tonight is because we're starting to look at this situation like it's not even real anymore. 4 straight losses to the same team... this one tonight goes all the way to overtime because wow, wouldn't it be just perfect for this dramatic story to conclude in an epic game 7 overtime!!??? lol.

It's getting old now.

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
Heartbraking as it is, if this early exit means that big changes are coming, then i´m glad we pooped the bed again.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
12 goals scored in 7 games

Not winning anything with those offensive numbers

Nope, let's blame Sammy, everyone can make a save on Pasta all alone coming in with speed and moving east west...

Sammy made so many quality saves in this one ( he sucked previously but not in this game), we have super elite unicorn watching Pasta score from up close. We need to blame non-Mitch players ASAP !!!

You score 1 goal in 3 period you need to start question your forwards.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
We win this game with Woll. That’s all I can say. Fix the goaltending. Can’t let that tying goal in.

Reactions: Al14

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I rather have Keefe back than Marner.

Soon to be 13M with great defensive reputation ! Worst PK in the league ? NP, as long as we can call Mitch elite.

Marner letting Pasta skate past him should tell you all you need to know about his special defensive skills.

Reactions: GoonieFace

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Stings because Marner had a nice feed to Edmunson for a chance after the first goal but Swayman made a the big save. It shifts to Sammy having to make the next big one and he gaffe's on one he probably should have had.

No. WTF is this? Part of Mitch PR team? Don't post this garbage mr Mod. Thanks

We scored 1 goal and we let Pasta go alone on Sammy in OT game 7. Mitch watching, like good elite unicorn he is.

At what point it's on your useless forwards or D that let Pasta have all the space in the world?

How many games can you win scoring 1 goal?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Luckily we kept the first. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
NEXT YEAR WE MUST RETOOL. DO NOT RUSH or INVEST IN THESE LOSERS

If Tavares and Marner can't be convinced to waive their NTCs then wait out their contracts.

^^ this

we can't have either back.

John Tavares- Yes, he would be great at league min, but we need him gone for a leadership change and locker room reset.

Both need to go.

We also need a goalie and a coach, but I think that's consensus.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Can't start playing playoff style hockey in game 4 and win.

Also can't let THEIR BEST PLAYER SKATE RIGHT TO THE NET UNCHECKED MITCH!

Reactions: ruaware41

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I’m devastated, I knew starting Samsonov would f*** us.

Only saving grace is now there will be change
Samsonov was fine, no blame on him. Marner was invisible, Tavares was meh, Matthews has swine flu. At least Willy showed up

There's a lot of things that happened this series, in no particular order.

1.) Didn't score enough goals.
2.) 69 goal scorer gets ill in Game 2 and never skates or practices again while missing games
3.) 40 goal scorer and second highest scorer on the team gets migraines and misses 3 games
4.) Samsonov shit the bed, under .900 save percentage, over 3GAA and 0-4 against Swayman
5.) Joseph Woll plays 2 games where the Leafs dominate and gets injured
6.) Marner is invisible
7.) Tavares is declining

I think point 2 and 3 contributed a lot to less scoring. I'm sure Marner is going to say he wasn't 100% either because he's coming off a high-ankle sprain which might be true. This year the Leafs had the worst injury luck they've ever had in the playoffs.

Do you have a book of excuses under your pillow?

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Players feel like they're "right there" and it's only a matter of time before they break through:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad