HFWings Keeper Fantasy Hockey League: Season Seven

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Sorry guys, way too busy these days. Just looking at keeper selections now.

@saska sault you have some keepers selected (just four), but you need to pick eight. It's going to be in your best interest to pick eight, because if you don't, you're just going to get the last four picks in the draft...basically trading four keepers for four players that would probably otherwise be free agents.

I'd be also keeping Aho, Svech, Seider and Bouchard if it were me (damn that roster is stacked, lol)

Clarke, Levi and Wolf still have keeper eligibility too if you want to keep them

View attachment 910245

Thank you for that, mighty neighbourly. I'm hardwired for my old league with 4 keepers.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah keep him, we don't really care about draft year anymore. People have goalies that are like 26 years old in NA slots once the season starts, lol
Wait, when did we abandon the draft year stipulation? I'm all for it, I think a "games cap" is all you need, but I didn't realize we changed anything. I thought you had listed it as a rule just a couple posts previously lol.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
The keeper selection screen probably gone for you now because we're past the deadline, you can just post in this thread who you want to keep and I can tag them. That was why I posted the list for you to view, I probably should have told you that though, lol

Wait, when did we abandon the draft year stipulation? I'm all for it, I think a "games cap" is all you need, but I didn't realize we changed anything. I thought you had listed it as a rule just a couple posts previously lol.
Sorry jaster. I was just looking through the older threads and there was a conversation in advance of the 2022 draft, I kind of forgot to finalize things before the 2023 draft apparently, but when I was approving keepers last year I wasn't turning away any keepers regardless of draft year.

Reactions: saska sault

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
The keeper selection screen probably gone for you now because we're past the deadline, you can just post in this thread who you want to keep and I can tag them. That was why I posted the list for you to view, I probably should have told you that though, lol

Sorry jaster. I was just looking through the older threads and there was a conversation in advance of the 2022 draft, I kind of forgot to finalize things before the 2023 draft apparently, but when I was approving keepers last year I wasn't turning away any keepers regardless of draft year.

As expected, Svech, Seider, Aho and Bouchard. Thank you

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
All good. So just to be clear, the only criteria for prospects is the 50-game threshold, yes? Less than 50 NHL games and we can consider them a "prospect" and keep up to 3 of them in addition to our regular 8 keepers?

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
All good. So just to be clear, the only criteria for prospects is the 50-game threshold, yes? Less than 50 NHL games and we can consider them a "prospect" and keep up to 3 of them in addition to our regular 8 keepers?
Yup, that's it!

As expected, Svech, Seider, Aho and Bouchard. Thank you
Did you want to keep any of those three prospects or throw them all back?

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Indeed, good luck everyone!

Trying to roll with a much younger team this year, so we'll see how that goes.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
I noticed, you took lafrienere and byfield just moments before i wanted to :D had both players tagged and was ready to take them. With celebrini you really have a standout player for the future now

I drafted younger this year as well. I have jake sanderson the 3rd year now, michkov, byram bowen and jj peterka might be potential keepers, with crosby and forsberg getting a little older now

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I think I drafted the same team I had last year, so watch out :laugh:

Actually, I didn't have time to prepare much, and didn't do a good job identifying young guys/breakouts/sleepers, which will probably come back to bite me.

Stamkos.... I know there's not much trading in this league, but surprised no one wanted the guy before Wyzer Plan took him 1st overall. I don't think a single team had 8 keepers better than him. Oh well.

Also, who didn't keep Dahlin? He was 1st overall on my board going into this draft, surprised he dropped to 4th. Huge steal there by Ypsi.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
I think I drafted the same team I had last year, so watch out :laugh:

Actually, I didn't have time to prepare much, and didn't do a good job identifying young guys/breakouts/sleepers, which will probably come back to bite me.

Stamkos.... I know there's not much trading in this league, but surprised no one wanted the guy before Wyzer Plan took him 1st overall. I don't think a single team had 8 keepers better than him. Oh well.

Also, who didn't keep Dahlin? He was 1st overall on my board going into this draft, surprised he dropped to 4th. Huge steal there by Ypsi.
I honestly had to do a quick google on Dahlin to make sure I didn’t miss a major injury or anything.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I just don't know what to expect from Stamkos on Nashville. I think he probably won't be as good and he's getting up there in age, so I didn't want to trade my chance at Celebrini or Michkov for that. Maybe if my first rounder wasn't so high I might have been trying to make that deal, but then even still I just wasn't crazy about Stamkos. My keepers need to be better than they were last year or I'm not really contending this year anyways, so I don't have high expectations for this year and didn't want to pull out all the stops to try to win now.

I noticed, you took lafrienere and byfield just moments before i wanted to :D had both players tagged and was ready to take them. With celebrini you really have a standout player for the future now

I drafted younger this year as well. I have jake sanderson the 3rd year now, michkov, byram bowen and jj peterka might be potential keepers, with crosby and forsberg getting a little older now
Yeah, I wanted to pick a bunch of guys that could trend a lot higher this year. I need a year to kind of reset my keepers and I'm tired of keeping all the same guys every year, lol. I guess Draisatl is the only guy that's been on my team from the start now though.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I just don't know what to expect from Stamkos on Nashville. I think he probably won't be as good and he's getting up there in age, so I didn't want to trade my chance at Celebrini or Michkov for that. Maybe if my first rounder wasn't so high I might have been trying to make that deal, but then even still I just wasn't crazy about Stamkos. My keepers need to be better than they were last year or I'm not really contending this year anyways, so I don't have high expectations for this year and didn't want to pull out all the stops to try to win now.
Stamkos being a question mark is totally fair, it's largely why he fell to basically "9th" in terms of my own keeper rankings. I also don't think every team should necessarily have been jumping at him. I just figured someone with like the 7th/8th/9th pick would be interested in upgrading their keepers and getting a guy who is almost certainly better than whoever went 7th/8th/9th.

Buuuuuuuut, on the other hand, I realize that our league consists of posters on a prospect message board, ya'll hate the geezers LOL!

Reactions: Sparty

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I feel like we have talked about this before, but I'm wondering if we should enforce a specific number of goalies carried. I guess it's too late for this year, but I remember playing a team last year that only had two, and I know there's some teams that have like six or more.

I thought we had a rule of just three transactions per week, but somehow jaster made seven transactions this week and three of them were just snatching up goalies, lol

I don't feel like it's a huge deal later in the season, but I think at the start of the season when nobody knows who's going to win some of these goalie battles, it's in someone's benefit to corner the market.

Not trying to put you on blast here jaster, you only did what the system allowed you to, but I don't know why it allowed you to do it, we never could before and I never changed any settings.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Haha, no sweat, I don't feel put on blast, and I'll explain my positions. I'm not trying to gain any sneaky advantage or anything, I'm just executing the strategy I implemented when I first joined the league....

Honestly, I completely forgot about the rule for 3 transactions. But I think Yahoo doesn't kick it in until the season and week 1 actually start (I looked and the rule is still there in our league settings). Prior to that, it doesn't really matter much, does it? My understanding of the point of the rule is to prevent teams from getting more total player games in each week, thus giving them a better chance to win categories with counting stats. Since it's preseason and there are no games, that potential advantage doesn't exist.

As for the goalies, I always carry a lot, it's how I approach the game based on the scoring setup for our league. I'm not at all trying to corner the market, especially since most of the goalies I carry are scrubs anyway. Because the scoring in our league is such that there is less separation between top-end and low-end goalies than there is between top-end and low-end skaters, I don't invest in top goalies. I don't keep them, and I don't draft them high. And I go for volume because so many of mine are scrubs and question marks. Like, I may have a bunch, but I only have 1 goalie who is among the top-25 most owned, and he's injured lol. My most owned healthy goalie is 30th. So if I'm cornering the market, that market is only the bottom of the barrel lol.

Last edited:

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Sounds good. I have kind of rolled the same way with goalies, I have Oettinger and this year I don't have anyone else worth a damn. I didn't care to take anyone else real high because it's such a volatile position. I was just pretty shocked to see that many on your roster, I don't remember there ever being that many.

I think you're right about the initial waiver claims, I guess they don't count towards those three roster moves. I remember a previous year where some players said they couldn't fill out their roster, but I guess they waited to try and do so until after that initial waiver period.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I admit, I'm carrying more goalies than I usually do, but that's because it's preseason and I have no idea who the best 3-4 are on my roster lol. I don't intend to carry that many all season (given that you can only start 2 a night, there's diminishing returns when carrying more and more) , but I also don't want to accidentally start the season with 1 starter and 3 backups, heh.

Yeah, now that you say that, I do kinda remember the waiver claim limit being in place before the season started in the past. I think the difference is that last year we drafted a lot closer to the start of the season though. Like, by the time you could make a waiver claim, week 1 had begun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad