Prospect Info: HFOilers Ranks: Top 20 Oilers Prospects #5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bangers

May 31, 2006
This one's tough. Bogdan, Musil, Moroz, Khaira, Gernat or Simpson could all turn out to be the best; each has a completely different skill set (well, not so much Khaira and Moroz, but still).

Still, a 6'4" center that is good technically and already playing in a men's league? I have to go with Bogdan.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Can't wait to see Khaira in the NHL. I'm guessing he'll play full time in the 16/17 season.

OVOXO*

Dillon Simpson easily. Yakimov is getting overrated for some reason (*cough* size *cough*). He's a potential 3C if all things go right. Simpson is a potential Top-4 and IMO is a less injury-prone Klefbom.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
Dillon Simpson easily. Yakimov is getting overrated for some reason (*cough* size *cough*). He's a potential 3C if all things go right. Simpson is a potential Top-4 and IMO is a less injury-prone Klefbom.

Yakimov has pro experience. His NHLE is very good. Simpson defintely has the potential you say he does but has yet to prove much.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Simpson, then Yakimov. Yakimov, although awesome, tops out for me as a 2c. I could see Simpson being a #2… even #1 D. No holes in his game. He'll surprise sooner than we think

nsoilfan

Jul 11, 2004
I'm surprised to see that Pitlick has three votes.

Those voters must really value the fact that he is further along in his development. Which is a valid point but to put him ahead of the likes of Chase, Moroz, Khaira, Yakimov... Seems odd to me.

Also surprised how big Yak2's lead is. I thought before I started the poll it was between him Khaira Moroz and Chase but didn't think he would have such a resounding lead.

ya i was one of the voters for pitlick.

I did value that he was further along in his development.

it was because he showed well last year in his role and i believe he will make the team this year. I dont think he will become much more than a 4th line player but you never know. he was a high 2nd round pick with size, speed and a good shot. if he can find a role and an identity on this team he could be a good player that can climb the depth chart with strong play. (he just needs a season or 2 where he stays healthy so he can develope properly. )

here is hoping!

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Simpson for me because of his complete game.

Don't understand why Martin Marincin was a vote as a prospect when he has been playing full time for the Oilers for quite some time. So if you take him out then Simpson as the 3rd prospect.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm surprised to see that Pitlick has three votes.

Those voters must really value the fact that he is further along in his development. Which is a valid point but to put him ahead of the likes of Chase, Moroz, Khaira, Yakimov... Seems odd to me.

Also surprised how big Yak2's lead is. I thought before I started the poll it was between him Khaira Moroz and Chase but didn't think he would have such a resounding lead.

I'm surprised about Yakimov's lead here as well, but more so because I had considered Dillon Simpson to be a top 5 prospect in our system for a year now, give or take. I do really like our prospect cupboard for the next 4 or 5 players though, Simpson, Moroz, Khaira, Chase, Brossoit, and even Musil are all looking good in my opinion.

PaperDesigner

Mar 1, 2008
Simpson is the best prospect of the bunch. I think he is going to transition to the NHL roster over the next year and a half, the way Gilbert and Petry did.

...And will immediately proceed to put up good results while becoming the new whipping boy. Also like Petry and Gilbert.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I will be honest and say I have not done enough research on Dillon Simpson.

Can someone explain to me how he is #2 on this poll when all I have heard about him is that he lacks NHL skating and is old enough that it is unlikely it will ever improve enough to be an NHL regular?

It was funny all the Leon knocks on his skating but from what I have heard his skating is far superior to Dillons and is much younger and prone to improve in that area.

I like looking at the hockey's future page for prospect ratings and we have 5 guys equally rated to Simpson and I would put him dead last in that group and even a couple lower cause I really like Gernat, Chase, and Yakimov.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I will be honest and say I have not done enough research on Dillon Simpson.

Can someone explain to me how he is #2 on this poll when all I have heard about him is that he lacks NHL skating and is old enough that it is unlikely it will ever improve enough to be an NHL regular?

It was funny all the Leon knocks on his skating but from what I have heard his skating is far superior to Dillons and is much younger and prone to improve in that area.

I like looking at the hockey's future page for prospect ratings and we have 5 guys equally rated to Simpson and I would put him dead last in that group and even a couple lower cause I really like Gernat, Chase, and Yakimov.

I didn't see his skating as an issue when I saw a handful of his games last season.

He definitely doesn't skate like Petry/Schultz/Klefbom/Marincin, but his mobility looks pro ready.

I think there's a lot to like there.

Pro size and skating with top notch hockey sense.

I think he projects to be a guy like Hamhuis.

Oct 30, 2011
As far as Simpson goes(and why I voted for him), he seems to make the right play at the right time. He has good hockey sense, which contributes to a solid defensive game, as well as an excellent breakout pass. He also has decent size and mobility. He has some offensive upside as well and picks his spots.

His upside is a top 4 defender who plays well positionally(active stick, angling, etc...) and transitions the puck effectively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad