Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Graduates:
Lukas Reichel
Nick Robertson
Dmitri Voronkov

1. Cutter Gauthier - Center/Wing
Here's hoping for a big rookie season from the former BC standout. Now in Anaheim, it seems like he's going to get an immediate opportunity in the top 9. It would be great if he stays down the middle too, but I'm not as optimistic about that. Either way, Gauthier is one of the game's top prospects for a reason; he could be a consistent 60 point player.

2. Olen Zellweger - Defense
Zellweger's first pro season probably couldn't have gone any better. He was terrific in the AHL and then solid in a cup of coffee to end the year in Anaheim. I really have high hopes for him as a point producer so that he can quarterback my secondary powerplay unit behind Cale Makar.

3. Devon Levi - Goaltender
Levi's first pro season had some serious positives. Perhaps it was too optimistic to assume that he'd jump right from the NCAA to the NHL full time. He had his struggles. However, he also had some terrific moments, proving that he can be a top flight netminder in the NHL. Lots of hope for Levi to be Juuse Saros' successor. Apparently, I love the smaller goalies? From Jonathan Quick to Saros to Levi?

4. EJ Emery - Defense
My most recent first round selection, Emery is a player that I really like. I'm not expecting him to turn into a dominant two-way player, but I do believe that over time, his offensive production will creep up a bit. I see him as the perfect defensive partner in the SIM for Zellweger in the future.

5. Brandon Bussi - Goaltender
Old for a prospect, but that's only circumstantial due to when he came out of college. He's been a revelation for the Bruins, excelling in the AHL since he signed. I'm eager for him to get his first taste of NHL action this year to see what he's truly made of. Starting goaltenders come out nowhere quite freqeuntly.

6. Zach Ostapchuk - Center/Wing
Not going to lie, I had a bit higher hopes for Ostapchuk in his first AHL season. He wasn't bad, but the offensive production was pretty pedestrian. Given the mature game he plays, I do wonder how long he'll be in the AHL anyway. Will Ottawa rush him in the NHL? Does he only top out as a replacement fourth line part or can he still be a solid 3rd line center in the future?

7. Topias Vilen - Defense
Really good finish to his first pro season in North America that saw Vilen emerge as a top flight AHL defender down the stretch. The defensive situation in Jersey is pretty fluid; there could be an opening for him if there is an injury this year. One would assume that he could be first up too. Not sure what the upside is, but he's developed very well since being drafted.

8. Gavin Hayes - Wing
One of the more underrated prospects in the CHL IMO. Back to back strong scoring years and an excellent playoff performance for the Soo this past season. He's a very strong complementary piece and I'm excited to see how Hayes does in his first pro season this year.

9. Ilya Nabokov - Goaltender
He was one of my main draft targets this year and I was really happy (and shocked) to get him in the fourth round. Then he's the first goalie off the board in the NHL in the early second round. How can you argue with the success he had this year in the KHL? But can it be replicated? Sounds like he wants to come to North America soon too.

10. Angus Crookshank - Wing
I'm really hoping that Crookshank cracks the Sens full time this year. He's done well in cups of coffee and would be an ideal fit in their bottom six to start his NHL career. He's worked really hard to bounce back from that knee injury and is someone that I think can be a long term player in Ottawa.

11. Eric Pohlkamp - Defense
Pohlkamp's development has been tremendous so far. He should have never been as late of an NHL pick as he was. Then he performs great for a smaller program in Bemidji State, hits the transfer portal, and is likely Denver's new powerplay quarterback next season. I feel like he's going to have a huge year.

12. Max Crozier - Defense
It feels like forever ago that I drafted Crozier, which is sometimes the case for those guys you take out of the USHL. But Crozier had four solid years at Providence before turning pro this past season. He immediately jumped to the top of Tampa's defensive prospect depth and didn't look out of place in limited samples, including the playoffs. He could be a full time bottom pairing guy as early as this season.

13. Julian Lutz - Wing
I just don't know what to make of Lutz at this point given the route that he's taken. The former high pick elected to come to the USHL this year and, to his credit, he was one of the better offensive players in the league. But watching him, I'm still not quite sure what he is at the next level; if he thinks the game well enough. His first AHL season should be pretty telling.

14. Matt Maggio - Wing
The 2023 OHL Red Tilson Winner (top player) had an OK first pro season for a terrible Bridgeport team. Reports suggest that he was one of the team's better players in the second half. Frankly, his jump to the pro level went better than I expected it would and it gives me hope that he can slowly develop into a decent NHL player.

15. Riley Kidney - Center
One of the few natural centers in the system; at least in terms of a guy who projects to stay down the middle. He played a depth role for Laval in his first pro year and struggled with the size/strength of pro players. Way too early to give up on him. He was always going to be a longer term guy given his frame.

16. Elliott Desnoyers - Wing/Center
What the hell happened this past season? Desnoyers went from excelling as an AHL rookie (earning NHL time) to scoring six measly goals this past year. Desnoyers was looking like a surefire NHL player in some capacity, but now? I'm ranking him this high still because I believe he can, and will turn things around. Philadelphia can't do to Desnoyers what they already did to Zayde Wisdom on me right?

17. Amadeus Lombardi - Center/Wing
In a similar boat to Riley Kidney. Buried on a deep team as a first year pro. He also just wasn't strong enough to handle pro level competition. However, I've read some promising interviews from him identifying that and I feel confident that he'll put in the work to perform better in his sophomore pro year. I still really like the upside here.

18. Nico Myatovic - Wing/Center
The 33rd overall pick in 2023, injuries really derailed him this year. Now I'm not really sure what to make of him. He still has solid middle six upside, but what's the timeline? Would Anaheim send him back for an OA year in the WHL? Is he ready for the pro game next year?

19. Sandis Vilmanis - Wing
I had been patiently waiting for Vilmanis to break out in the OHL. I was confident in the scoring ability and skill. Turns out all he needed was a change of scenery. He finished the season scoring 38 in 46 for North Bay. To a certain extent, I wonder how his game translates to the pro level, but we'll find out this year.

20. Will Skahan - Defense
I was hoping that he would go higher than he did at the NHL Draft, but I do really like this player. He's a mean throwback, but I think his offensive game was hidden a bit based on what was asked of him by the NTDP. I'm curious to see how he plays at Boston College this year.

Honorable Mentions:
Matvei Shuravin
Adam Ingram
Cameron Berg
Florian Xhekaj
Dylan Roobroeck
Michael Dipietro
Kyle McDonald
Arttu Karki
Jake Richard
Drew Fortescue
Hiroki Gojsic