HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #9 (closed)

• Jiri Kulich - C/W

• Anton Silayev - D

• Ryan Leonard - LW

• Olen Zellweger - D

• David Reinbacher - D

• Danila Yurov - C/W

• Berkly Catton - C

• Zayne Parekh - D

• Gabe Perreault - RW

• Brandt Clarke - D

• Mavrik Bourque - C

• Shane Wright - C

• Tij Iginla - C/W

• Axel Sandin-Pellikka - D

• Callum Ritchie - C

• Lane Hutson - D

• Zeev Buium - D

• Brad Lambert - C/W

• Simon Edvinsson - D

• Sam Dickinson - D

• Beckett Sennecke - RW

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
:HFB: TOP 50 PROSPECTS

Criteria is 22 and under, 30 NHL GP or less, no goalies

1. Macklin Celebrini - C:sharks18.35.
2. Matvei Michkov - RW:flyers19.36.
3. Ivan Demidov - RW:habs20.37.
4. Will Smith - C:sharks21.38.
5. Alexander Nikishin - D:canes22.39.
6. Cutter Gauthier - C
1720578769739.png
7. Artyom Levshunov - D:hawks24.41.
8. Cayden Lindstrom - C/W:cbj25.42.

To add:
Conor Geekie - C
Matt Savoie - C
Dmitri Simashev - D
Quintin Musty - LW
Nate Danielson - C
Jonathan Lekkerimaki - RW
Rutger McGroarty - RW
Daniil But - LW
Dalibor Dvorsky - C
Denton Mateychuk - D
Jimmy Snuggerud - RW
Frank Nazar - C
Carter Yakemchuk - D
Cole Eiserman - RW
Konsta Helenius - C
Trevor Connelly - LW
Tom Willander - D
Marco Kasper - C
Joakim Kemell - RW
Joshua Roy - RW
Brayden Yager - C
Konsta Helenius - C
Tristan Luneau - D
Bradly Nadeau - LW
Logan Mailloux - D
Andrew Cristall - LW
Brennan Othmann - LW
Jagger Firkus - RW
Easton Cowan - RW
Riley Heidt - C/W
Ivan Miroshnichenko - LW
Scott Morrow - D
Oliver Bonk - D
Noah Oslund - C
Josh Doan - RW
Theo Lindstein - D
Seamus Casey - D
Carson Rehkopf - C
Matthew Wood - RW
Zachary Bolduc - C
Mackie Samoskevich - RW
Colby Barlow - LW
Gavin Brindley - C

Past lists:
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #50 (closed) (summer 23)
HFBoards Top 50 Prospects Ranking #50 FINAL (summer 22)
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #50 FINAL (summer 21)
HFBoards TOP 75 Prospects Ranking #75 (FINAL) (winter 20-21)
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects (summer 19)
Top 50 Drafted Prospects 2018: #46 - #50 (summer 18)
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects #48 (summer 17)

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Buium
Leonard
Clarke
Gauthier
Yurov.... 49P 62GP (Metallurg), lead his team in pts and won the KHL Championship at 19/20 years old

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Leonard/Buium/Sennecke/Edvinsson/Silayev in some order for me, went with Leonard.

Add Mateychuk, he had a fantastic season and I would have him above many players currently in the poll.

I forgot about Mateychuk. There's only about five players remaining in the poll that I'd take over him.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I get taking the more physical stay at home Dman to compliment Hughes and Nemec…. But personally I feel Silayev is a high risk given his size. When he gets up to 240 lbs will he still skate like the wind? Time will tell
on the plus side he's coached by Larionov who said he was his best Defenseman in the playoffs and isn't like other KHL teams where they don't play NHL bound players.

At the NJ development camp Dineen said. "I think he rang one off the crossbar and almost hit the roof of the arena ... I was like, 'OK, that thing had some momentum to be able to get that high.' It was the practice arena but that's still pretty amazing.

I'm confident that Larionov will keep on molding him into a great defenseman.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I get taking the more physical stay at home Dman to compliment Hughes and Nemec…. But personally I feel Silayev is a high risk given his size. When he gets up to 240 lbs will he still skate like the wind? Time will tell
Silayev is a perfect complement to those guys imo. His skating is very good as you said, and while I see what you mean, what’s encouraging to me is that his mechanics are top notch. His skating isn’t purely based on his physical attributes/quickness of movement etc., his mechanics/technique are very good. This leads me to believe his skating will carry over even if he puts on weight.

His defensive instincts are also very good for an 18 year old. He’s defending at a high level playing in the KHL at a very young age. I also see some offensive potential but that’ll never be his calling card. I don’t know if he’s a Top 10 prospect, but imo he’s definitely a Top ~20 prospect with loads of potential to be more than that given the skating/mechanics as well as the defensive awareness.

As a Devils fan I’m super excited about Silayev, feels like a BPA pick that also serves a huge need down the road for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: amnesiac

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

His size and skating combination will continue to be impeccable, I think. He's a good enough skater that he could lose some of it and still be the best skating big man in the league. I don't think there's much risk that he won't fill that big eraser role in the NHL. The question will be whether he can do anything else (I think not).

Silayev is a perfect complement to those guys imo. His skating is very good as you said, and while I see what you mean, what’s encouraging to me is that his mechanics are top notch. His skating isn’t purely based on his physical attributes/quickness of movement etc., his mechanics/technique are very good. This leads me to believe his skating will carry over even if he puts on weight.

His defensive instincts are also very good for an 18 year old. He’s defending at a high level playing in the KHL at a very young age. I also see some offensive potential but that’ll never be his calling card. I don’t know if he’s a Top 10 prospect, but imo he’s definitely a Top ~20 prospect with loads of potential to be more than that given the skating/mechanics as well as the defensive awareness.

As a Devils fan I’m super excited about Silayev, feels like a BPA pick that also serves a huge need down the road for us.

He's going to be a great shutdown player for the Devils, I think it's a great fit for them. I would have taken Buium anyways and made a trade later, but we know how reluctant teams are to draft that way. Silayev can skate and shoot, but there's actually quite a lot of big men in the NHL who have great shots and are fast skaters. Erik Gudbranson is an amazing physical specimen who can fly up open ice and has a great shot. Silayev is an even better skater, even bigger, with better defensive awareness. But offensively I don't think there's any upside there. When he is facing a defender in good position, Silayev has no natural creativity or deception, he plays much like a pure shutdown D. I'd rank him closer to #20-#30 among prospects.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
His size and skating combination will continue to be impeccable, I think. He's a good enough skater that he could lose some of it and still be the best skating big man in the league. I don't think there's much risk that he won't fill that big eraser role in the NHL. The question will be whether he can do anything else (I think not).

He's going to be a great shutdown player for the Devils, I think it's a great fit for them. I would have taken Buium anyways and made a trade later, but we know how reluctant teams are to draft that way. Silayev can skate and shoot, but there's actually quite a lot of big men in the NHL who have great shots and are fast skaters. Erik Gudbranson is an amazing physical specimen who can fly up open ice and has a great shot. Silayev is an even better skater, even bigger, with better defensive awareness. But offensively I don't think there's any upside there. When he is facing a defender in good position, Silayev has no natural creativity or deception, he plays much like a pure shutdown D. I'd rank him closer to #20-#30 among prospects.
I absolutely agree with most of your post. I do think, based on my viewings, that he has a little offense to his game, especially when joining the rush, but it will most likely never be a big strength, we agree there. Thanks for the input, always enjoy reading other opinions on prospects!

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Lane Hutson has a bazillion points as a prospect, and he's two points in two games in the NHL already

I voted for him, but I guess Leonard is a good pick too, for #9

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Lane Hutson has a bazillion points as a prospect, and he's two points in two games in the NHL already

I voted for him, but I guess Leonard is a good pick too, for #9
I think I’d comfortably put biuim over Hutson. And Clarke and dickinson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad