Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Donny Wads wants to retain and wants picks and prospects for Laine. For the Pens to even be an actual contender to land Laine, the other teams would need to offer some of the worst picks and prospects as a package.

Not really relevant, just curious: is that vitiligo?
Yeah on his knees.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Donny Wads wants to retain and wants picks and prospects for Laine. For the Pens to even be an actual contender to land Laine, the other teams would need to offer some of the worst picks and prospects as a package.

Yeah on his knees.
I don't see what we could offer that couldn't be beat by another team. Especially considered we would need to send a bit of salary back.

But honestly, I have no idea what his value is. Is this a Yager + 1st or is this a Plante, Cruz, + 4th type of value? No idea.

I might be willing to do something like Pono+SJS 3rd.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I don't see what we could offer that couldn't be beat by another team. Especially considered we would need to send a bit of salary back.

But honestly, I have no idea what his value is. Is this a Yager + 1st or is this a Plante, Cruz, + 4th type of value? No idea.

I might be willing to do something like Pono+SJS 3rd.
Nobody is giving up a significant asset for Laine. We should absolutely get it done because of that. I feel like his outfits alone could make Sully rage resign like JR.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Nobody is giving up a significant asset for Laine. We should absolutely get it done because of that. I feel like his outfits alone could make Sully rage resign like JR.

Jarry would be an improvement on their current goaltending. I’d pack his bags and drive him to Columbus if they take his contract….

Anyway it’s looking like Laine to Habs for 2nd, 4th and two players…yeah, not offering futures for him…Nevermind lol…just looks like a trade proposal even though article was written as if the Habs had “landed” Laine…

Last edited:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You know, sometimes I wonder how much the "could be beat by another team" stuff actually matters.

There's a trade or two every off season/season where a guy gets moved for a shit return and teams go "wait I could have had him for that? I would have offered more."

Marlies signed Nylander to a one year deal. Kinda interesting that he put up 11 goals and he still can't grab an NHL job.

I guess teams aren't too convinced.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
You know, sometimes I wonder how much the "could be beat by another team" stuff actually matters.

There's a trade or two every off season/season where a guy gets moved for a shit return and teams go "wait I could have had him for that? I would have offered more."
Probably has a lot with if you gifted tennis tournament tickets to the families of other GMs or how many charity golf games you flew the other GMs out to all year.

It's a good ol boys club with cliques. Run in the circles or run into "we went with another offer"

???????

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Marlies signed Nylander to a one year deal. Kinda interesting that he put up 11 goals and he still can't grab an NHL job.

Too many GMs, especially Kindergarten Kyle are worried about the optics of “losing a trade” rather than winning a cup.

Big Balls Zito said this exact thing. That’s why Florida won a cup despite the media proclaiming the Tkakchuk trade amazing for Calgary.

Reactions: Pancakes

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

The same goes for Sprong. They are the prototypical AAAA players—too good for the AHL but weak in the NHL. We have one of those in Bemstrom. But that said, any one of them can break out and start scoring some goals. There's got to be something that coaches see in players like them that keeps them from full-time gigs.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Mostly I think coaches have minimal impact on a player’s development. That is “cream will always rise” eventually somewhere. But I think they can have a small impact and that small impact can sometimes make larger differences.

Sprong is an example of being rushed to the NHL which was, if nothing else, a waste of time for him, at a crucial stage of a player’s development. And possibly set him back a bit. Didn’t he bang up his shoulder too? Can’t help but think if his formative years played out differently he’d be a tad more than a journeyman bottom 6er, but maybe more like a David Perron.

Doesn’t matter because we got Petts out of him but it does go to show that when you have few prospects you can’t afford to sabotage the good ones you have.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Especially for a team that hasn't won a round since 2018 and has now missed entirely twice in a row. Go for some homerun swings or sell everything, you f***ing cowardly dorks. (This team's years beyond going for the homerun swings now, imo.)

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Mostly I think coaches have minimal impact on a player’s development. That is “cream will always rise” eventually somewhere. But I think they can have a small impact and that small impact can sometimes make larger differences.

Sprong is an example of being rushed to the NHL which was, if nothing else, a waste of time for him, at a crucial stage of a player’s development. And possibly set him back a bit. Didn’t he bang up his shoulder too? Can’t help but think if his formative years played out differently he’d be a tad more than a journeyman bottom 6er, but maybe more like a David Perron.

Doesn’t matter because we got Petts out of him but it does go to show that when you have few prospects you can’t afford to sabotage the good ones you have.

I feel like Sprong’s major issue was Sprong himself. He didn’t seem to work on any defensive aspect of his game probably because he got away with it in every level he played til the NHL. He was ok in patches through his career but his have a hard time trusting him with a bigger role.

15-20 years ago that would have been ok in the NHL but not these days. Kessel was a PPG player in his last year here and was pretty much a net negative because he turned into a full on 1-way player.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The same goes for Sprong. They are the prototypical AAAA players—too good for the AHL but weak in the NHL. We have one of those in Bemstrom. But that said, any one of them can break out and start scoring some goals. There's got to be something that coaches see in players like them that keeps them from full-time gigs.
I think the main issue is so many NHL coaches are risk averse, so they'll opt for the shitty but defensively responsible types over the tweener scorers (not elite offensively). I don't think that's a good philosophy when depth scoring helps you win more than stacking your bottom six with 4th line plugs who can PK but can't score if their lives depended on it.

Because when those players do get an opportunity, it's when you see "late bloomers" like Marchessault and Verhaeghe turn into top line players when given an actual chance.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think the main issue is so many NHL coaches are risk averse, so they'll opt for the shitty but defensively responsible types over the tweener scorers (not elite offensively). I don't think that's a good philosophy when depth scoring helps you win more than stacking your bottom six with 4th line plugs who can PK but can't score if their lives depended on it.

Because when those players do get an opportunity, it's when you see "late bloomers" like Marchessault and Verhaeghe turn into top line players when given an actual chance.
What’s funny is our risk-averse players were all given a chance- a risk- by someone else somewhere along the line. Acciari was given a shot by Cassidy who was familiar with him in Providence. Despite a whopping 2 goals in his first 50 games, they stuck with him. Nieto came up to the NHL quite quickly with the Sharks during a period when they sucked.

Gruden & Poulin are probably in a similar boat right now. You could probably turn each into above average- and cheap- 4th liners if you just let them work through it for a couple months.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What’s funny is our risk-averse players were all given a chance- a risk- by someone else somewhere along the line. Acciari was given a shot by Cassidy who was familiar with him in Providence. Despite a whopping 2 goals in his first 50 games, they stuck with him. Nieto came up to the NHL quite quickly with the Sharks during a period when they sucked.

Gruden & Poulin are probably in a similar boat right now. You could probably turn each into above average- and cheap- 4th liners if you just let them work through it for a couple months.

We’ve seen it with DOC.

Poulin has enough skills in his game that his bad skating could be overcome. I have no idea why we haven’t just given him 10-15 games to see if he can figure a role out.

If he can’t, he can’t. But he’s a former 1st rounder we’ve given absolutely no chances too. It’s similar to Ty Smith. Makes no damn sense.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Agreed. I think you can certainly find a balance though between the mid-6 scorers and the bottom 6 plugs. Our biggest issue last year was, the bottom 6 was built to be two defensively responsible lines...and they weren't. You couldn't give the Eller line nor the Acciari line a major assignment like a Panarin line or a Matthew, MacKinnon, or McDavid line. Past that, they produced at an absolutely pathetic rate offensively that didn't make up for their relatively weak defensive play. If you want to build that solid defensive line, get ZAR-Bleuger-Tanev back together and then build a third scoring line. Then you can pick which one you want based on what you need - offense or scoring. Games suck quick when you have to shelter your bottom 6 lines because they are mediocre defensive and offensively inept.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
One thing with giving some others a go is that we’ve generally had f*** all cap space & GM’s have been unwilling to trade/risk waivers for the most part.

But even though we haven’t had great prospects we could use more balance in giving some of them a better go especially since we haven’t made/done anything in playoffs for a while.

Losing guys like Harkins shouldn’t be a big deal (his stats of 4 assists in 45 games with a +/- of -4 😬)

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Since we’re on Page 71 of this thread, I just saw this one and thought I’d post lol

“While Evgeni Malkin won’t be leaving the NHL anytime soon, he is thinking ahead to his next deal, telling TASS in Russia that he’d like to play at least one season with Metallurg Magnitogorsk before calling it a career. The 37-year-old has played in that organization twice so far, first at the beginning of his career before being drafted by Pittsburgh while also suiting up for them back in 2012-13 during the lockout where he finished third in KHL scoring despite missing 15 games. Malkin enters 2024-25 sitting 37th in all-time NHL points and with him having two years left on his contract with the Penguins, he will be moving up that list fairly quickly before potentially wrapping up his career back home.”

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
A little more nuance from TASS article as to what Geno said, auto translated sorry:

"It's hard to make plans about a return, I still have two years left on my contract with Pittsburgh. I need to play these two years and see how it goes," said 37-year-old Malkin. "The main thing is no injuries, and if, as Pavel Datsyuk says, there's a fire burning, you can't go out and do the number without it."

"If I come to Metallurg and take the place of a young player, maybe a future star, it will not be nice. If I feel good, then, of course, I would like to play another season on my home ice here. I spent three days here, many people came up to me, took pictures, wished me luck," Malkin added."

_________

That left a lot of outs to the desire, if needed....

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Columbus made numerous significant trades with NYR and Philly. Why not us?

Because I believe they view us as the big brother they can never beat and it's a "regional rivalry". I know it's been awhile, but we kicked their asses in the playoffs. Just always got a sense from that organization there's a deeper level of 1 way animosity.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Didn’t he say like 10 years ago the plan was to play a final season or so over there before retiring? I feel like I remember reading that.

I feel like I remember reading the same thing, but Russia wasn't in the midst of a 2 year war with their neighbor back then either.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I feel like I remember reading the same thing, but Russia wasn't in the midst of a 2 year war with their neighbor back then either.
And back then Geno was 10 foot tall and bulletproof. I think he's starting to realize his dominating games are over. Sure, maybe a shift here or there. Does he really want to go back home only to be average or barely above average in 2 more years or whatever?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
One thing with giving some others a go is that we’ve generally had f*** all cap space & GM’s have been unwilling to trade/risk waivers for the most part.

But even though we haven’t had great prospects we could use more balance in giving some of them a better go especially since we haven’t made/done anything in playoffs for a while.

Losing guys like Harkins shouldn’t be a big deal (his stats of 4 assists in 45 games with a +/- of -4 😬)
Which is so odd because Dubas said he would be aggressive on the waiver wire. Phillips is about the only claim and release. Harkins should have been waived last year with malicious intent.

There's a couple of guys I imagine they will protective of, to an extent, but with the collection of people we got I really hope that's not the case. I think if you waive an Eller or Acciari or Lizotte, they likely get claimed. And just because you put them on waivers it doesn't mean you are forced to reassign them.
Since we’re on Page 71 of this thread, I just saw this one and thought I’d post lol

“While Evgeni Malkin won’t be leaving the NHL anytime soon, he is thinking ahead to his next deal, telling TASS in Russia that he’d like to play at least one season with Metallurg Magnitogorsk before calling it a career. The 37-year-old has played in that organization twice so far, first at the beginning of his career before being drafted by Pittsburgh while also suiting up for them back in 2012-13 during the lockout where he finished third in KHL scoring despite missing 15 games. Malkin enters 2024-25 sitting 37th in all-time NHL points and with him having two years left on his contract with the Penguins, he will be moving up that list fairly quickly before potentially wrapping up his career back home.”
I think he plays two more years here and then goes home to Russia. That seems like the most logical path for every one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad