HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #33 (closed)

• Conor Geekie - C

• Oliver Bonk - D

• Cole Eiserman - RW

• Trevor Connelly - LW

• Jonathan Lekkerimaki - RW

• Adam Jiricek - D (STL)

• Brayden Yager - C

• Joakim Kemell - RW

• Josh Doan - RW

• Michael Brandsegg-Nygard - RW

• Jimmy Snuggerud - RW

• Mavrik Bourque - C

• Dalibor Dvorsky - C

• Tristan Luneau - D

• Konsta Helenius - C

• Easton Cowan - RW

• Mackie Samoskevich - RW

• Logan Mailloux - D

• Matt Savoie - C

• Brad Lambert - C/W

• Tanner Molendyk - D

• Bradly Nadeau - LW

• Axel Sandin-Pellikka - D

• Callum Ritchie - C

• Frank Nazar - C

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I wouldn’t trade him for anyone left on the board…and quite a few already off the board.

Willander already being off the board and ASP getting significant votes while Theo Lindstein isn't even a voting option is also nuts.
You think Lindstein is better than ASP?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
You think Lindstein is better than ASP?
I don’t see much separating Willander and Lindstein other than handedness and draft position. When all is said and done, I am pretty confident Lindstein will have a better career in the NHL than Axel Sandin-Pelikka.

Frankly, I think ASP gets overrated by people blinded by the accolades. He was, at best, the 3rd best defenseman for Sweden at the WJC. Him winning best dman of the tournament was…a choice. From what I understand, ASP wasn’t on his SHL team’s top pairing and again wasn’t the best dman on his team. Him winning best Swedish dman in the SHL (not best dman, best Swedish dman…an important distinction) seems pretty dubious to me. If ASP’s power play goal scoring translates to the NHL, then he may be a force in the league. If it doesn’t, he’s in trouble IMO.

Lindstein on the other hand just has an elite brain. Good physical tools, but he is able to process the game and move the puck like few players I’ve ever seen. You really have to watch him to appreciate his game.

Reactions: biturbo19

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Perhaps add some insight in to the prospect you think should be voted instead of inciting a Canucks vs Oilers war. It's pathetic and it's been brought up before.

Willander is playing top pairing minutes at Boston University. He has elite skating, gap control and defensive awareness. He's probably the closest player to NHL ready on the list remaining and it shouldn't come as a big surprise why he was a popular vote. Willander will likely play a handful of NHL games towards the end of this upcoming season. There's a reason Alvin hasn't committed to another defenseman in free agency and it's because Willander is projecting to be a long term partner for Hughes.

Lekkerimaki played a handful of AHL games to end the season and prior to that he won Swedish junior player of the year, SHL junior MVP, and World Juniors MVP - He had an incredible year. Lekkerimaki has an NHL shot and release, good skating and high offensive IQ. He will need to keep developing his physical game if he is to translate to the NHL and I think it would be fair to say he will need another year in the AHL before we see him play in the NHL.

Every fanbase in the league is more enamored with their own prospects. The reality is that at this point of the vote it is extremely difficult to say who should go where, similarly to how the real NHL draft works as it gets more muddled the further it goes. There is nothing crazy about Willander being voted in, and there is nothing crazy about Lekkerimaki receiving the attention he's getting.

I think Savoie is an excellent prospect and wouldn't be surprised to see him get voted in soon; but the truth is there is nothing about him as a prospect that puts him ahead of the aforementioned. If he was voted ahead of Willander I wouldn't be making it an issue as I see the upside and intrigue - just saying when people say it's 'crazy' Willander got voted in before him, they are being ignorant and using fanbase bias as a smokescreen to the reality that these prospects are all very close.
fact of the matter is, about 25 other prospects could be voted in here at 32 and it would be possible to conjure up a valid argument for each. I have nothing against Willander or Lekk, but facts are facts, the same people who voted to Willander are voting for Lekk immediately after. I guarantee you its no coincidence. (Same thing happened after Hutson, many of the same voters went straight to Reinbacher)

I voted for Lambert, he put up an impressive 55P in 64GP at age 19/20 in the AHL. A little light right now, but will fill in his 6'1 frame sooner than later.

Button just had him at #9 on his top 50 NHL-affiliated prospects list. #32 here isn't a huge reach.
its not, I just stated a fact. Same posters who voted Wilander last poll then voted for Lekk the following poll.

Last edited:

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
fact of the matter is, about 25 other prospects could be voted in here at 32 and it would be possible to conjure up a valid argument for each. I have nothing against Willander or Lekk, but facts are facts, the same people who voted to Willander are voting for Lekk immediately after. I guarantee you its no coincidence. (Same thing happened after Hutson, many of the same voters went straight to Reinbacher)

That's exactly what I said as well, though? At this point it is very muddled on who the next best prospect is and every fanbase favours their own players. It's no coincidence all the Oilers fans are voting Savoie too but no problem because he hasn't won a vote?

Doesn't sound like you have much of a point at all except to say you're annoyed the player you're choosing hasn't gone yet.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
That's exactly what I said as well, though? At this point it is very muddled on who the next best prospect is and every fanbase favours their own players. It's no coincidence all the Oilers fans are voting Savoie too but no problem because he hasn't won a vote?

Doesn't sound like you have much of a point at all except to say you're annoyed the player you're choosing hasn't gone yet.
Explain how I appear "annoyed" that Lambert isnt getting voted. I seriously couldnt care less.... Youre the one thats very obviously annoyed and being very defensive about me pointing out that Canuck fans are just voting for their players here. You even go as far to try justify it with your long analysis for each, as if we couldnt do the same for 25 other prospects. When the Habs homers were doing the same, guess what? I was annoyed, and pointed it out too. (see my location)

Yes I noticed Savoie is getting Oiler fan votes. I didnt mention it because there was no post suggesting that Savoie was getting too many votes. What I did notice is Cancuks fans voting for their team's prospect twice in a row. Again, not a coincidence. Thats all.

Last edited:

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I don’t see much separating Willander and Lindstein other than handedness and draft position. When all is said and done, I am pretty confident Lindstein will have a better career in the NHL than Axel Sandin-Pelikka.

Frankly, I think ASP gets overrated by people blinded by the accolades. He was, at best, the 3rd best defenseman for Sweden at the WJC. Him winning best dman of the tournament was…a choice. From what I understand, ASP wasn’t on his SHL team’s top pairing and again wasn’t the best dman on his team. Him winning best Swedish dman in the SHL (not best dman, best Swedish dman…an important distinction) seems pretty dubious to me. If ASP’s power play goal scoring translates to the NHL, then he may be a force in the league. If it doesn’t, he’s in trouble IMO.

Lindstein on the other hand just has an elite brain. Good physical tools, but he is able to process the game and move the puck like few players I’ve ever seen. You really have to watch him to appreciate his game.

ASP played 22 minutes a night and put up 2+5 in 14 games on his way to an SHL title at 18 years old

No accolades needed

Reactions: Michoulicious

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
the difference is Zell proved himself offensively over 44 GP in the AHL, on top of 26 GP in the NHL

Luneau only 13 GP combined between the two
True but anyone who actually watched both knows there isn't a huge difference between the two. Luneau may honestly have higher upside but I'd vote for Zellweger just because Luneau missed significant time. A lot of these votes/candidates are based on pure upside.

Reactions: amnesiac

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
The fact Savoie has 14 votes and Yager has 3 is absurd.

Yager is better currently than Savoie despite being a year younger.

Savoie should not go ahead of Firkus either.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

I am a big ASP fan... I thought he was very good in the international tournaments I saw him play in. His mobility is incredible, and he has a great hockey IQ. I thought he was better than Willander and Lindstein and he deserved his award, playing top minutes and dominating the play. Fact he was voted best swedish D in the SHL as a 18 y old (turned 19 in March) is very, very impressive as well.

I respect your opinion, but might the fact Lindstein is a St-Louis prospect cloud your judgement by any chance?

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Yes I noticed Savoie is getting Oiler fan votes. I didnt mention it because there was no post suggesting that Savoie was getting too many votes. What I did notice is Cancuks fans voting for their team's prospect twice in a row. Again, not a coincidence. Thats all.

I think from 20-50 is a huge mish-mash of players. Willander and Lekkerimaki in this 30ish range isn't a stretch at all.

I just don't see the separation between the prospects and me showing each players accomplishments and skill sets is a better way of making an argument for a player rather than just saying 'this is biased what a joke look at who's still left'.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I voted for Lambert, he put up an impressive 55P in 64GP at age 19/20 in the AHL. A little light right now, but will fill in his 6'1 frame sooner than later.

its not, I just stated a fact. Same posters who voted Wilander last poll then voted for Lekk the following poll.

I mean...the expectation for future top scorers in the AHL is extremely high. Making the jump earlier provides a little more wiggle room...but there was just a huge argument in the Canucks forum about Lekkerimaki, and the fact that...the expectation if he's still tracking well, is essentially PPG. That's what the vast majority of future Top-6 scorers pace as, if they even hit the AHL or stay any length of time in the AHL at all. More of them just leapfrog over that level altogether. Especially scoring wingers. They either move up levels quickly, or they're far more likely to stagnate or struggle to find their way to the league, and become a quality Top-6 scoring winger.

I think Lambert's transition to the AHL is solid. But it's hardly the stepping stone some people make it out to be. Really good prospects do tend to skip that level more or less altogether. Nothing wrong with spending a year or so there. But the biggest jump is to the NHL level. Where...if Lambert isn't making the jump this year, even in Winnipeg's kind of "slow paced" development approach, it's actually a bit of concern creeping in. And i'm not fully convinced that Lambert is ready, or going to make the jump right out of the gate this year.

Whereas Willander...i really wouldn't be surprised to see him get actual NHL games in before the NHL season is done, and very possibly crack the team out of camp next year.

Lekky is more...people really liked how much he scored last year after a really awful D+1 season. And he happens to be the sort of "flashy scoring prospect" that people love at that point of their development.

As for the same people voting Willander jumping to Lekkerimaki...there's certainly a little bit of that. But by my quick count, it's ~33% or a third of that voting block that jumped. Hardly the whole thing. ~66% or the significant majority of Willander voters actually either jumped to someone else entirely, or didn't vote in the next round. I don't see it being as significant as say...the Lane Hutson effect. :laugh:

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I mean...the expectation for future top scorers in the AHL is extremely high. Making the jump earlier provides a little more wiggle room...but there was just a huge argument in the Canucks forum about Lekkerimaki, and the fact that...the expectation if he's still tracking well, is essentially PPG. That's what the vast majority of future Top-6 scorers pace as, if they even hit the AHL or stay any length of time in the AHL at all. More of them just leapfrog over that level altogether. Especially scoring wingers. They either move up levels quickly, or they're far more likely to stagnate or struggle to find their way to the league, and become a quality Top-6 scoring winger.

I think Lambert's transition to the AHL is solid. But it's hardly the stepping stone some people make it out to be. Really good prospects do tend to skip that level more or less altogether. Nothing wrong with spending a year or so there. But the biggest jump is to the NHL level. Where...if Lambert isn't making the jump this year, even in Winnipeg's kind of "slow paced" development approach, it's actually a bit of concern creeping in. And i'm not fully convinced that Lambert is ready, or going to make the jump right out of the gate this year.

Whereas Willander...i really wouldn't be surprised to see him get actual NHL games in before the NHL season is done, and very possibly crack the team out of camp next year.

Lekky is more...people really liked how much he scored last year after a really awful D+1 season. And he happens to be the sort of "flashy scoring prospect" that people love at that point of their development.

I think you have it backwards. My guess is that AHL scoring at age 20 is actually more predictive than SHL scoring at that age.

For instance, Emil Bemstrom scored more than Lekkerimaki just did, at that same age.

Beyond that, Lambert has elite skating ability and ranginess that Lekkerimaki doesn't have.

Agreed on Willander, I'd take him ahead of Lambert and well ahead of Lekkerimaki

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

"He wasn't his team's best d-man" is a pretty crazy argument against an 18 year old in the SHL when you're arguing in favor of the 18 year old in Allsvenskan who was much further away from being his team's best d-man.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think you have it backwards. My guess is that AHL scoring at age 20 is actually more predictive than SHL scoring at that age.

For instance, Emil Bemstrom scored more than Lekkerimaki just did, at that same age.

Beyond that, Lambert has elite skating ability and ranginess that Lekkerimaki doesn't have.

Agreed on Willander, I'd take him ahead of Lambert and well ahead of Lekkerimaki

AHL scoring at a young age is certainly predictive, and maybe more so than SHL scoring at that age. But the point is...out of that scoring, i'm still not convinced Lambert is going to immediately make the jump. Which is really the more predictive aspect. He did the thing at the AHL level in terms of scoring at a young age, more or less. But...if he loiters further there, it's a reflection on a prospect that has other significant flaws that need to be ironed out. A lesser prospect. Better prospects spend less time at the AHL level (particularly when we're talking Top-6 or Bust Scoring Wingers - rather than "stay at home defencemen" or whatever.

Hard to say what really happens with Lambert. Mostly just saying...he's in a similar bin to Lekkerimaki for me. Just...Lekky is approaching a different landmark transition this year instead. Gun to my head, i actually probably like Lambert more. But there's easily well over a dozen prospects still up here that i'd take well before either.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
AHL scoring at a young age is certainly predictive, and maybe more so than SHL scoring at that age. But the point is...out of that scoring, i'm still not convinced Lambert is going to immediately make the jump. Which is really the more predictive aspect. He did the thing at the AHL level in terms of scoring at a young age, more or less. But...if he loiters further there, it's a reflection on a prospect that has other significant flaws that need to be ironed out. A lesser prospect. Better prospects spend less time at the AHL level (particularly when we're talking Top-6 or Bust Scoring Wingers - rather than "stay at home defencemen" or whatever.

Hard to say what really happens with Lambert. Mostly just saying...he's in a similar bin to Lekkerimaki for me. Just...Lekky is approaching a different landmark transition this year instead. Gun to my head, i actually probably like Lambert more. But there's easily well over a dozen prospects still up here that i'd take well before either.

Age 20 is too early to fuss over whether the player will be taking too much time in the AHL.

Just one of many examples - Evan Bouchard didn't make the NHL full time until his D+4 season.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Age 20 is too early to fuss over whether the player will be taking too much time in the AHL.

Just one of many examples - Evan Bouchard didn't make the NHL full time until his D+4 season.

Bouchard is a defenceman, and an offensive-minded one with some substantial defensive shortcomings though. Like i said, it's a little more understandable when defencemen take a little longer to linger at that AHL developmental level. Though it's still usually not a great sign.

And more importantly...Bouchard didn't linger at the AHL level at all. He was pretty much a "one and done" case. Kind of weird development because of other outside circumstances dipping out to Europe for a minute, but the point is...he more or less blitzed through that intermediate level between Juniors and NHL Pro.

And that's a defenceman, which again...sometimes take a little bit longer. With guys like Lambert and Lekkerimaki, we're talking about Top-6 or Bust scoring wingers. These guys typically either find a way to score early and often at that level, or they plateau and often completely bust. Lambert has already cleared that first hurdle by being a productive AHLer, top scorer on his team, etc. The question left is...will he make the jump now that he's done that...or will his other shortcomings keep him stalled at the AHL level longer?

Entirely possible he cracks the Jets lineup. But i'm not altogether convinced that'll happen. Because there are still other holes in his game that could hold him back.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

On the flip side it was Lekkerimäki's true 19 year old season, it was Lambert's 20 year old season.
Last year, Lambert had 3 points in 14 AHL games and 1 point in 5 WJC games.
The same-level comparison for Lekkerimäki is 2 points in 6 AHL games and 10 points in 7 WJC games.

In terms of how predictive SHL/AHL scoring is I think both need heavy contexualization to be meaningful. But I can tell you Lekkerimäki's skill and tools are on a different level than Bemström's. At the end of the day I'd probably put Lekkerimäki ahead of both Willander and Lambert, but all 3 would be in a similar tier for me.

John Garretts KD

Aug 4, 2024
The fact Savoie has 14 votes and Yager has 3 is absurd.

Yager is better currently than Savoie despite being a year younger.

Savoie should not go ahead of Firkus either.
Results appear to be largely based on the prospects’ fanbases. Seems like there are more Edmonton than Pittsburgh fans here.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
ASP played 22 minutes a night and put up 2+5 in 14 games on his way to an SHL title at 18 years old

No accolades needed
How much of that 22 minutes was power play time? How many were PP points? ASP’s shot from the point on the power play has been effective against junior and SHL goalies…it’s really hard to score from distance in the NHL and I’m not sure ASP will be able to distribute the puck at a high enough level to earn PP1 minutes if his shot is not as effective at the next level.

Then he’s got to worry about playing solid enough defense as a 5’10 kid against NHLers to gain a coach’s trust to be counted on in a top 4 & PP1 quarterback role. He’s a good prospect, but I think he is being overrated a fair bit. I see quite a bit of risk with him.

I am a big ASP fan... I thought he was very good in the international tournaments I saw him play in. His mobility is incredible, and he has a great hockey IQ. I thought he was better than Willander and Lindstein and he deserved his award, playing top minutes and dominating the play. Fact he was voted best swedish D in the SHL as a 18 y old (turned 19 in March) is very, very impressive as well.

I respect your opinion, but might the fact Lindstein is a St-Louis prospect cloud your judgement by any chance?
The Lindstein - Willander pairing was by far Sweden’s most effective at the 2024 WJC. I watched every second of every team Sweden game, and frankly it wasn’t particularly close. They went up against other teams top lines and played the top minutes 5v5.

And the numbers back up the eye test in this case. Lindstein - Willander pairing scored more and had better +/-. They also largely played higher TOI. There were some games where ASP had higher TOI, but you’ll notice that his most common partner did not have higher TOI in those games…this was because those were games where Sweden was behind and putting out ASP late to try to get a goal or there were a lot of penalties and ASP was eating up lots of PP time.

Watch Lindstein play. He puts up good counting stats, but his game is understated and really needs to be watched in order to be appreciated. He is not as flashy as ASP but he thinks the game at an elite level and the puck is on and off his stick (usually a tape to tape pass to the correct read/open teammate) very quickly.

"He wasn't his team's best d-man" is a pretty crazy argument against an 18 year old in the SHL when you're arguing in favor of the 18 year old in Allsvenskan who was much further away from being his team's best d-man.
Are we voting based on who is closest to the NHL right now or who we think will ultimately be a better player?

Reactions: biturbo19

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
How much of that 22 minutes was power play time? How many were PP points? ASP’s shot from the point on the power play has been effective against junior and SHL goalies…it’s really hard to score from distance in the NHL and I’m not sure ASP will be able to distribute the puck at a high enough level to earn PP1 minutes if his shot is not as effective at the next level.

Then he’s got to worry about playing solid enough defense as a 5’10 kid against NHLers to gain a coach’s trust to be counted on in a top 4 & PP1 quarterback role. He’s a good prospect, but I think he is being overrated a fair bit. I see quite a bit of risk with him.

The Lindstein - Willander pairing was by far Sweden’s most effective at the 2024 WJC. I watched every second of every team Sweden game, and frankly it wasn’t particularly close. They went up against other teams top lines and played the top minutes 5v5.

And the numbers back up the eye test in this case. Lindstein - Willander pairing scored more and had better +/-. They also largely played higher TOI. There were some games where ASP had higher TOI, but you’ll notice that his most common partner did not have higher TOI in those games…this was because those were games where Sweden was behind and putting out ASP late to try to get a goal or there were a lot of penalties and ASP was eating up lots of PP time.

Watch Lindstein play. He puts up good counting stats, but his game is understated and really needs to be watched in order to be appreciated. He is not as flashy as ASP but he thinks the game at an elite level and the puck is on and off his stick (usually a tape to tape pass to the correct read/open teammate) very quickly.

Are we voting based on who is closest to the NHL right now or who we think will ultimately be a better player?

So we’re going to discount an entire season of shl in favor of 7 games at the world juniors?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad