HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #22 (closed)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

• Denton Mateychuk - D

• Ridly Greig - C

• Luke Evangelista - LW

• Jakob Pelletier - LW

• Kevin Korchinski - D

• Joakim Kemell - RW

• Axel Sandin-Pellikka - D

• Matthew Wood - RW

• Matt Coronato - RW

• Tom Willander - D

• Marco Rossi - C

• Ryker Evans - D

• William Eklund - LW

• Jimmy Snuggerud - RW

• Brennan Othmann - LW

• Dalibor Dvorsky - C

• Lane Hutson - D

• Marco Kasper - LW

• Dmitri Simashev - D

• Matthew Knies - LW

• Matthew Savoie - C

• Tyson Foerster - RW

• Tristan Luneau - D

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
:HFB: TOP 50 PROSPECTS

Criteria is 22 and under, 30 NHL GP or less, no goalies

1. Connor Bedard - C:hawks18. Olen Zellweger - D:ducks235.
2. Adam Fantilli - C:cbj19. Zach Benson - LW:sabres36.
3. Matvei Michkov - RW:flyers20. Ryan Leonard - RW:caps37.
4. Leo Carlsson - C:ducks221. Jiri Kulich - C:sabres 38.
5. Logan Cooley - C:coyotes22.39.
6. Luke Hughes - D:devils23.40.
7. David Jiricek - D:cbj24.41.
8. Simon Nemec - D:devils25.42.
9. Will Smith - C:sharks26.43.
10. Simon Edvinsson - D:wings27.44.
11. Alexander Nikishin - D:canes28.45.
12. Brandt Clarke - D:kings29.46.
13. Pavel Mintyukov - D:ducks230.47.
14. Shane Wright - C:seattle31.48.
15. Cutter Gauthier - LW:flyers32.49.
16. Logan Stankoven - C:stars33.50.
17. David Reinbacher - D:habs34.

To add:
Zachary Bolduc - C
Scott Morrow - D
William Wallinder - D
Mavrik Bourque - C
Alexandre Holtz - RW
Lukas Cormier - D
Seamus Casey - D
Oliver Moore - C
Brock Faber - D
Arseni Gritsyuk - LW
Stanislav Svozil - D
Dmitri Buchelnikov - LW
Sean Farrell - LW
Noah Ostlund - C
Bobby Brink - RW
Fabian Lysell - RW
Joshua Roy - RW
Nathan Gaucher - C
Jonathan Lekkerimaki - LW
Shakir Mukhamadullin - D
Connor Zary - C
Aatu Raty - C
Brad Lambert - C
Jagger Firkus - LW

Past lists:
HFBoards Top 50 Prospects Ranking #50 FINAL (summer 2022)
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #50 FINAL (summer 2021)
HFBoards TOP 75 Prospects Ranking #75 (FINAL) (winter 2020-21)
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects (summer 2019)
Top 50 Drafted Prospects 2018: #46 - #50 (summer 2018)
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects #50 FINAL (summer 2017)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I begrudgingly went with Knies here - he's a ready made top six forward with super translatable skills. A bit of Kreider in his game. We know he'll be good.

I still have a lot of guys I'd take over Eklund or Hutson here. But I'm not sure how to approach ranking those guys.

Ryker Evans looked incredible to me in the AHL playoffs, it's hard to get a read on how NHL ready he is though. It's not like I have a lot of other folks who watched Firebirds games I can ask what they thought about it.

Matthew Wood looks like the closest thing to 2014 Leon Draisaitl. Big upside there, big scoring resume.

Evangelista already has several multi-point games in the NHL. We should be talking about him. Close to the same age as Eklund.

Kasper and Savoie didn't have great D+1s but they have a lot more time to take off than Eklund does - he's about to turn 21.

Stan Svozil just had a season full of great showings at every level. You can argue that he should have won the WJC D MVP award, he also had 13 points in 7 WHL playoff games and 3 points in 3 pro games at the end of the year. I'm more confident in Svozil than Hutson.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Kulich's leap into the top 50 moves Buffalo into 5th overall.

1690244728342.png

and here are the teams that are not yet on the board:

1690244766235.png

As for the poll, you know what I am going to say:

1690244880020.png

Hobey Baker Finalist Matt Knies.

Curious, I don't see Hutson's picture here?

1690244953312.png

Maybe hockey coaches and scouts actually see more than points on the scorecard. The other two were ranked 2nd and 5th in this list.

Add Faber, he's already a good NHL player.

Last edited:

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Kulich's leap into the top 50 moves Buffalo into 5th overall.

View attachment 730959

and here are the teams that are not yet on the board:

View attachment 730960

As for the poll, you know what I am going to say:

View attachment 730961

Hobey Baker Finalist Matt Knies.

Curious, I don't see Hutson's picture here?

View attachment 730962

Maybe hockey coaches and scouts actually see more than points on the scorecard. The other two were ranked 2nd and 5th in this list.

Add Faber, he's already a good NHL player.
Or maybe they also saw him fail at the WJC while his linemate flourished. Or that he's just a run of the mill prospect over rated by his fanbase

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
Or maybe they also saw him fail at the WJC while his linemate flourished. Or that he's just a run of the mill prospect over rated by his fanbase

He is overrated by many leaf's fans, will not argue with that.

That being said anything to do with the leaf's is either underrated or openly scorned by fans of the other 31 teams.

Kind of balances itself out

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Marco Kasper here is about right.

People are probably saying his offensive ceiling isn't as high as other listed prospect, which is fair, but his floor is pretty much the highest of anyone left. Based on his work ethic, skating ability and 2-way play, he's a 3C on any team in the NHL in a year or 2. Once he makes it, then it will be seen how much offence he can produce in the NHL.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Marco Kasper here is about right.

People are probably saying his offensive ceiling isn't as high as other listed prospect, which is fair, but his floor is pretty much the highest of anyone left. Based on his work ethic, skating ability and 2-way play, he's a 3C on any team in the NHL in a year or 2. Once he makes it, then it will be seen how much offence he can produce in the NHL.
I don't think his floor is higher than Knies or Coronato.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Pretty easy Matthew Wood here. There's no reason to vote Knies ahead of him, as he's two years younger, a rookie, on a worse team, the best player on his team (as opposed to the third best.) and just had a better year than him. Knies is closer to the NHL because he's older, inherently. Doesn't make him a better prospect.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I begrudgingly went with Knies here - he's a ready made top six forward with super translatable skills. A bit of Kreider in his game. We know he'll be good.

I still have a lot of guys I'd take over Eklund or Hutson here. But I'm not sure how to approach ranking those guys.

Ryker Evans looked incredible to me in the AHL playoffs, it's hard to get a read on how NHL ready he is though. It's not like I have a lot of other folks who watched Firebirds games I can ask what they thought about it.

Matthew Wood looks like the closest thing to 2014 Leon Draisaitl. Big upside there, big scoring resume.

Evangelista already has several multi-point games in the NHL. We should be talking about him. Close to the same age as Eklund.

Kasper and Savoie didn't have great D+1s but they have a lot more time to take off than Eklund does - he's about to turn 21.

Stan Svozil just had a season full of great showings at every level. You can argue that he should have won the WJC D MVP award, he also had 13 points in 7 WHL playoff games and 3 points in 3 pro games at the end of the year. I'm more confident in Svozil than Hutson.
Korchinski is like 17 months younger than Svozil and just put up the same season as Svozil in the WHL. Not sure how he is a better prospect.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Forgot how quickly these polls devolve into fans voting for their own team's prospects.

That said, Dvorsky and Snuggerud are being underrated :sarcasm:

Reactions: amnesiac

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Forgot how quickly these polls devolve into fans voting for their own team's prospects.

That said, Dvorsky and Snuggerud are being underrated :sarcasm:
I watched a lot of Snug this year, and I do think he's a high end prospect. I don't think he is on Knies level, who wasn't on Cooley's level, but all 3 should be top 6 players. Snug will have a lot of room to grow this season, we will see how it goes. Maybe he leapfrogs up the list.

Dvorsky I am not ready to put ahead of guys who had similar hype but grew or repeated. I do think he is a prime candidate for a Stankoven type rise next year.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
I watched a lot of Snug this year, and I do think he's a high end prospect. I don't think he is on Knies level, who wasn't on Cooley's level, but all 3 should be top 6 players. Snug will have a lot of room to grow this season, we will see how it goes. Maybe he leapfrogs up the list.

Dvorsky I am not ready to put ahead of guys who had similar hype but grew or repeated. I do think he is a prime candidate for a Stankoven type rise next year.
All due respect to Knies, if you compare his and Snuggerud's seasons at the same age, I think there is a very decisive edge in Snuggerud's favor. Snuggerud was 18 this past season, Knies turned 18 in October of his last season in the USHL.

Based on your post, it seems like you place a lot of value in a prospect being closer to the NHL/further in development - is that a fair statement?

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
All due respect to Knies, if you compare his and Snuggerud's seasons at the same age, I think there is a very decisive edge in Snuggerud's favor.

Based on your post, it seems like you place a lot of value in a prospect being closer to the NHL/further in development - is that a fair statement?

I think the mistake you are making is comparing production with different support groups.

Like I said, lets see how Snug does this year. The team will be weaker, and his line will almost definitely be much weaker but still pretty good. Should give us a better feel. In my mind, he was often a passenger last season with Knies and Cooley doing most of the work and creating plays.

edit: for your question - yes, I lean towards older players who have had the growth, over potentially equal or even slightly higher potential who we think will have that same kind of growth.

Reactions: stl76

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
I think the mistake you are making is comparing production with different support groups.

Like I said, lets see how Snug does this year. The team will be weaker, and his line will almost definitely be much weaker but still pretty good. Should give us a better feel. In my mind, he was often a passenger last season with Knies and Cooley doing most of the work and creating plays.
What do you think of Knies' 18 year old season compared to Snuggerud's? How would you compare their respective WJC performances?

EDIT: for the record, I am completely biased here, but I think there is a VERY good argument to be made that Snuggerud is a better prospect than Knies...and I actually perfer Dvosrky to Knies among Blues prospects haha

Last edited:

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
What do you think of Knies' 18 year old season compared to Snuggerud's? How would you compare their respective WJC performances?
I don't tend to worry too much about a 4-7 game sample. Their 18 year old seasons were played with completely different teammates, so I am not sure how much weight I would put on that. I do know Knies played top 6 minutes for the Leafs and looked like he belonged with players like Nylander and Tavares, and I think that counts for something. Very high floor.

We won't know for sure for a few years, but having Snug with no Cooley or Knies will give us a better feel for what he's about. He will need to drive his line and create.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
I don't tend to worry too much about a 4-7 game sample. Their 18 year old seasons were played with completely different teammates, so I am not sure how much weight I would put on that. I do know Knies played top 6 minutes for the Leafs and looked like he belonged with players like Nylander and Tavares, and I think that counts for something. Very high floor.

We won't know for sure for a few years, but having Snug with no Cooley or Knies will give us a better feel for what he's about. He will need to drive his line and create.
Cooley will be back at UoM and probably on a line with Snuggerud again. Ignoring Snuggerud's undeniably incredible performance at the WJC and not putting weight in how much further developed we was at the same age vs Knies seems less than charitable to me.

Nothing wrong with valuing floor and prospects that are further developed...I just hope you stay consistent with that view when it doesn't apply to your team's prospects ;)

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Cooley will be back at UoM and probably on a line with Snuggerud again. Ignoring Snuggerud's undeniably incredible performance at the WJC and not putting weight in how much further developed we was at the same age vs Knies seems less than charitable to me.

Nothing wrong with valuing floor and prospects that are further developed...I just hope you stay consistent with that view when it doesn't apply to your team's prospects ;)
What prospects? :laugh:

We have a bottom 10 farm lol I don't think we have any other prospects that even have an NHL floor, with Amirov now likely never playing again due to brain tumor.

Thanks Dubas!

Reactions: arso40

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad