HFBoards is the place to be

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
X fan coming in peace. Your team was total crap and suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of my team but I thought Y player was pretty good even though you could have drafted Z player from my team instead and you would have been better off.
mars-attacks.gif

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
About 15 years ago I was a moderator on 2 forums: HF and Joe Rogan.

......slightly different arcs in those years.
Still a moderator here, at another forum that we generally don't talk about here, and a Discord server or two. People keep seemingly thinking it's okay for me to be in charge of stuff. It's weird. Clearly I don't spout off about my Opinions(tm) nearly enough to dissuade folks.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Most web forums were killed by centralized social media like Reddit and Twitter.

I find that places like Reddit cast a wider net. While there are knowledgable people, the because one Reddit account gives people access to message boards on every hobby, there is a lower barrier to entry. You don't have to be very invested or even care much about a hobby to participate in a subreddit. So you end up getting less interesting or knowledgable discussion.

I don't think there is anything wrong with someone who is a beginner and knows very little seeking out a hobby, but the dynamic is different when it is a beginner who is very interested in a topic and open to learning, growing, and having a stake in the online community vs someone who knows very little about the topic, isn't interested to learn, but will engage online because Reddit makes it accessible.

I also think to an extent that Youtube has also killed message boards. If I want to learn about a hobby, or engage in a hobby in some way, I can find videos and tutorials on Youtube. Back in the day, you had to find message boards with tutorials or helpful members. So they were a point of entry to hobbies.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
That balances me out.

Considering Ive been here doing this since 1998 here at dear old HF, I deserve a nap every now and then.

View attachment 916437
Over the years have you noticed distinct times where moderation was less strict and other times where it had to be very strict?

Also love HF, they're soo considerate, they give me a 6 month break every year :)

• Love
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Over the years have you noticed distinct times where moderation was less strict and other times where it had to be very strict?

Also love HF, they're soo considerate, they give me a 6 month break every year :)

Ive noticed changes as ownership has changed a few times. As well as although the rules have only slightly changed over that time period some feel more emboldened to thumb their noses at them although they agreed to the terms upon joining.
Honestly, posters were much more civil in debate years ago and less so now.

IMG_1208.jpeg

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
HFBoards is more lenient than reddit and r/hockey where you can catch lifetime bans without warnings

That said We do not even allow trolls here, on reddit there's so much circlejerk and crap that should be deleted but isn't

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad