HFAvs Ranks: The 50 Greatest Avalanche Players - #26

Who is the twenty-sixth greatest Avalanche player?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm not saying he's insignificant in Avs history... just more that when we are talking greatest Avs, is he really this high? If so, why are we not voting for Eric Messier? Or a guy without a Cup here but still a GOAT in Lappy?
I'm at the point where I think the role players deserve to be in. I've got Klemm, then Hinote, Messier, Lappy, Podein....although Podes probably slides ahead of Lappy for me just because I simply lived the dude's personality. He gets a huge boost because of how often he was involved in Bucci's old hockey blog too...those stories were priceless. Him driving to practice in reverse because it was the only gear that worked on his car in his rookie season.

I think we've slightly passed the point where everyone's varying definition of "greatest" is kicking in. It's not simply a statistical analysis as emotions come into play, especially when comparing players of different eras and those that had cups vs those that did not. I'm fairly good with the ranking so far. The only real travesty to me is Matt Duchene being on the list. Again, personal preference and most people's mileage will vary from mine on that one.

Reactions: henchman21

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Sylvain Lefebvre was a defensive defenseman. He played quite well at that position, and didn't make many mistakes. He wasn't known as a fighter, but he had a few. He was also a defensive coach for the Avalanche, and he works with Florida now, I believe.

Klemm was also a stay at home defenseman. He wasn't a top pairing guy as I recall. He did play on two cup-winning teams. I'd rank Lefebvre higher than Klemm as a defenseman.

Gusarov - he was only here one season, I think. Don't remember much about him.

Aaron Miller was traded to the LA Kings with Adam Deadmarsh. LA demanded Miller or the deal wouldn't have gone through. He played that one full season with Colorado before the trade.

Eric Messier was a bottom pairing player. He played left wing. He wasn't horrible, but his career was cut short due to injury, not while playing with the Avs.
Gusarov played 292 games. Miller played 301. My point is that looking at the stats there seems to be very little between them.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Gusarov - he was only here one season, I think. Don't remember much about him.
LOL what? Gusarov won a cup with us. 9pts in the playoffs in 95-96. Was a Nord, played here until 2000. People still chant GUUUUUUUUUUS when he shows up at the Sack. He was our Euro scout since 2018 and is now an amateur scout.

I saw in another voting poll people saying there was the opposite of recency bias going on here, but ya'll mofos voting in Ryan O'Reilly and Matt Duchene in over legit cup champs.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

BoneCherry

Nov 19, 2021
Dallas
LOL what? Gusarov won a cup with us. 9pts in the playoffs in 95-96. Was a Nord, played here until 2000. People still chant GUUUUUUUUUUS when he shows up at the Sack. He was our Euro scout since 2018 and is now an amateur scout.

I saw in another voting poll people saying there was the opposite of recency bias going on here, but ya'll mofos voting in Ryan O'Reilly and Matt Duchene in over legit cup champs.
I knew he won a cup with us, but as I said, I didn't remember much else. Thanks for clearing it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad