HF Rule Change for NHL #1: Pucks off netting stay in play

Should pucks off the netting stay in play?

• Ya

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Nah

Votes: 36 87.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
A while back I made a thread where posters proposed 25 changes to the league. I required ‘em to be somewhat reasonable, and started with my own somewhat outlandish one, but.. I don’t see why the netting should be treated differently than the glass at this point. And so-

Rule change #1: Deflected pucks off the netting stay in play (assuming they fall back to ice).

Reasoning: This would lead to increased zone time and pressure. More excitement. Purposeful dump-ins into the netting wouldn’t be allowed, that seems a cheat code to easy forechecks, but if the nets consistently put pucks back into play.. it’s worth exploring, at least.

Link to thread:

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
I feel like bounces off the back of the net would lead to way too many crazy BS goals and chances against. Hockey is a sport of bounces, but I think that netting would make things a lot crazier than it should be and it'd be way more random on a consistent basis than any stanchion could

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Everything the previous posters said to this point. I'd be curious to see how many injuries are a result of trying to play through a puck in the pipes netting.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
No, but extending the glass vertically half a foot might help
I think I like this. Do you mean at sort of an angle where the glass would hang over the ice slightly (maybe a fibreglass extension) so it would direct more pucks back into play instead of having them climb right up into the netting like happens so often now?

My Best-Carey

Crow

May 19, 2014
I don’t see how you could enforce the rule that you can’t do it on purpose unless it’s only still in play off the goalie or goal and then into the net.

Just thinking out loud now - do you guys think goalies now are sometimes trying to get the puck into the netting while making a save or is it all luck?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
No bad idea, not too mention nets are out of play. They are there for safety after a fan was killed, and not to put pucks back in play.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I think I like this. Do you mean at sort of an angle where the glass would hang over the ice slightly (maybe a fibreglass extension) so it would direct more pucks back into play instead of having them climb right up into the netting like happens so often now?

My Best-Carey

Just as is, straight up.
Climbing up is climbing up, it's due to go out of play.

But by extending it up half a foot, it would eliminate some puck over glass penalties and keep pucks in play slightly more often.

If a player was under pressure and just wanted to get the puck out of play, like the puck over glass penalty was intended to penalize, half a foot isn't going to affect that.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Pucks hitting the nets don't make noise, Goalies can't tract them, so pucks hitting the nets should stop play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad