Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Aatos Koivu

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I would have gone Struble or Barron after Engstrom here, but I think they aren't calder eligible anymore which means they are off this list, so I'm gonna go Kapanen after Engstrom is in. His last half of the year and worlds was too good to ignore.
Kap is next up after the group of 3 I mentioned. I am not as familiar with Kapanen which is probably why I have him ranked lower than some - due to my ignorance.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

eklund2chicago

Jan 19, 2021
Coming from a Växjö Lakers fan so not totally objective but you guys are severly underestimating Filip Eriksson in this poll. No way you guys have 18 prospects that are better than him. If that's the case then you are a dynasty in the making.

He had the highest U20 point per game pace in Hockeyallsvenskan in the last 16 years. Produced way better than recent first round players as Östlund, Lekkerimäki and Öhgren did in the same league in their D+1 and when he joined Växjö in the SHL playoffs he was our best forward the last few games when he finally got some playing time.

You guys will probably get a really good player in the next few years. His IQ is off the charts but unfortunately his tools aren't as good. Would predict 20-25 points this season and then that he explodes the year after and then signs with you guys.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
you have Mesar ahead of every prospect besides Demidov. i'd love to hear your reasoning as to why that is

Best skill set, best IQ and best ceiling,

Other reasons:
-Leadership
-Team Player on the ice
-Elite Playmaker
-Ka Raw Kter

Overall, is an obvious choice when you watch him, his size and shot could be a problem if he ends up not being good enough for 1st line duty but imo he's a lock for top minutes in the NHL... he's the Martin St.Louis version of Slovakia

• Haha
Reactions: Skip Bayless

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Crazy that a 24th overall from 2 years ago is getting ranked behind 4th and 3rd rounders though... what a bad pick.

The boys get dark when you’re 5’9 and you’re barely PPG in junior hockey. No mercy.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Am I judging solely on stats or using them to express what is obvious?

For the trained eye, what you're expressing is an uneducated opinion based on ideas and pre-conceived notions of a player you don't like.
Nothing you've said has any grounds on reality.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Coming from a Växjö Lakers fan so not totally objective but you guys are severly underestimating Filip Eriksson in this poll. No way you guys have 18 prospects that are better than him. If that's the case then you are a dynasty in the making.

He had the highest U20 point per game pace in Hockeyallsvenskan in the last 16 years. Produced way better than recent first round players as Östlund, Lekkerimäki and Öhgren did in the same league in their D+1 and when he joined Växjö in the SHL playoffs he was our best forward the last few games when he finally got some playing time.

You guys will probably get a really good player in the next few years. His IQ is off the charts but unfortunately his tools aren't as good. Would predict 20-25 points this season and then that he explodes the year after and then signs with you guys.
I don't think there are 18 better prospects. I would easily rank him above Aatos Koivu, for example, who has been voted onto the poll, but may not be voted in the ranking above Eriksson (we will see). Those rankings are just aggregates of a very wide fanbase with very uneven knowledge. Hype sways things a ton, so it should be taken with a mountain of salt.

Then again, as good as his season was, Eriksson remains a recent 6th round pick with massive hurdles to overcome. He is not a slam dunk either to make it. It would be a bad sign if he was very high in our rankings. At this point in time, I would confidently rank him around the 15th to 18th rank and identify him as a potential riser in coming years.

Reactions: Shutdown

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tough one between Kapanen and Engstrom. Both should be ahead of Fowler IMO. Love Fowler's potential but goalies are always difficult to project. Fowler would be 10 on my list.

Kapanen and Engstrom have a big advantage playing with Men already. That's something fans overlook far to often.

Voted Kapanen due to his playoff run and WC's.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Who do you think has a better chance at being a main stay on the Habs third pairing in the future: Engstrom or Konyushkov?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
For the trained eye, what you're expressing is an uneducated opinion based on ideas and pre-conceived notions of a player you don't like.
Nothing you've said has any grounds on reality.
I admire your dedication to Mesar-ism.

For what it's worth, Mesar 's ranking this year is irrelevant. He just needs to have a very good year in the AHL. He can then be in the same boat as Roy, or in the same boat as Farrell and Kidney.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I admire your dedication to Mesar-ism.

For what it's worth, Mesar 's ranking this year is irrelevant. He just needs to have a very good year in the AHL. He can then be in the same boat as Roy, or in the same boat as Farrell and Kidney.

Exactly.

Ball is in his court for the up coming season. Either he proves he can hack it in the AHL or he becomes a middling prospect with very little shot of making it.

Your comparison to Farrell and Kidney is wise, because they have tons of talent/skill but their short comings hold them back from being top tier prospects. Mesar is a better prospect than them, at least on paper, so it’ll be interesting to see if he can translate it better on the ice than they have to this point.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

nod-kermit-nod.gif

Reactions: DAChampion

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Pretty impressed with the order so far….Voted Mesar, the most talented prospect on the board.

Dobes should be next followed by Engstrom.

Reactions: Bombshell11

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

This is poll #9.

We also have a very deep pool. He needs to prove himself at the SHL level.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I'm a big Eriksson respecter but I have him at 17 right now, I could see the argument as high as 11th, though.

I do think his tools are great, his hands are good, his playmaking is sublime and he has the ability to beat goalies on the forehand or backhand. I wouldn't say any are elite but they are all above average, it's the smarts that bring them to a higher level.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Kapanen had a terrific playoff and world championship. The kid is going to surprise. How he may not be in the top 10 prospect ranking is surprising
Goes to the depth of our prospect pool….not only is it surprising but it’s very satisfying.

I’m sure some of the guys including the top 2 from this last draft will weasel their way ahead of him in the big ranking…plus we still have next years draft that will see us picking at least 2 in the first, 2 in the second and 3 in the 3rd….we will be flooded with talent, bodes very well for our future.

Reactions: Tyson and Redux91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad