WJC: 2025 Team Canada Roster Talk

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Was at the game here were the standouts

Red:
Bradley Nadeau: was the single most dynamic player on the ice. Him and Cowan had instant chemistry. Is going to be a big part of the team this year if he continues to play the way he did.

Tanner Molendyk: By far the best defender on the ice for both teams. Showcased confidence, speed and skill. Is going to be Canada’s #1 this year

Matthew Wood: Was straight up dominant in front of the net. Is really starting to put himself in positions to utilize his size and it stood out in a big way on the second goal for Red where his presence made 3 defenders rush to cover him leaving Catton open on the door step for a tap in after the puck bounced to him.

Noah Chadwick: Very quietly effective, showed some impressive instincts in the offensive zone and was consistently shutting down white in the first 2 periods. Sleeper to make the team.

White:
Beckett Sennecke: was whites best offensive player throughout. He maybe was trying to do too much at times but he was the only guy able to consistently generate chances for White on a shift to shift basis.

Porter Martone: Unfortunately he didn’t get to play much but when he did I thought he was fantastic. Using his size and skills well to get to the net amd was able to get a good deal of chances. I’d like to see more of him because he played very few minutesz

Caden Price: Was Whites most steady defender, great defensive positioning - strong play getting pucks out of his zone while his partner really struggled. Could be this years rock.

Sam Dickinson: Quiet for the first period then turned it on after that. Showing his dynamic skillset and skating. Was jumping into plays and thwarting tons of chances with his strong stick and positioning.

Brayden Yager: I might be wrong here but Yager might be this teams best two way player. Was excellent on the backcheck and consistently made smart defensive plays. Was really impressed with his game
Nice job.

Reactions: Trojans86

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I love the CFL but, I agree, a replay over a stream... No.
The combined viewership for a stream of an intersquad game at a junior summer camp would be about the number of people reading this forum. Maybe 12. They may not get a big audience for a replay of a football game, but it costs them zero dollars.

Nerds never know just how nerdy we (I mean THEY) are.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Red:
Bradley Nadeau: was the single most dynamic player on the ice. Him and Cowan had instant chemistry. Is going to be a big part of the team this year if he continues to play the way he did.

Tanner Molendyk: By far the best defender on the ice for both teams. Showcased confidence, speed and skill. Is going to be Canada’s #1 this year

Matthew Wood: Was straight up dominant in front of the net. Is really starting to put himself in positions to utilize his size and it stood out in a big way on the second goal for Red where his presence made 3 defenders rush to cover him leaving Catton open on the door step for a tap in after the puck bounced to him.

Noah Chadwick: Very quietly effective, showed some impressive instincts in the offensive zone and was consistently shutting down white in the first 2 periods. Sleeper to make the team.

White:
Beckett Sennecke: was whites best offensive player throughout. He maybe was trying to do too much at times but he was the only guy able to consistently generate chances for White on a shift to shift basis.

Porter Martone: Unfortunately he didn’t get to play much but when he did I thought he was fantastic. Using his size and skills well to get to the net amd was able to get a good deal of chances. I’d like to see more of him because he played very few minutesz

Caden Price: Was Whites most steady defender, great defensive positioning - strong play getting pucks out of his zone while his partner really struggled. Could be this years rock.

Sam Dickinson: Quiet for the first period then turned it on after that. Showing his dynamic skillset and skating. Was jumping into plays and thwarting tons of chances with his strong stick and positioning.

Brayden Yager: I might be wrong here but Yager might be this teams best two way player. Was excellent on the backcheck and consistently made smart defensive plays. Was really impressed with his game
What were your assessments of Parekh and Yakemchuck?

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
What were your assessments of Parekh and Yakemchuck?
Parekh was very good, was consistently getting into the play and directing his teammates, was very vocal. Got caught a lot but Minhyo and one of his foe was always back to cover for him for him to make a play on the backcheck. Was getting outmuscled physically and was afraid of the corners but was very impressive all things told.

Yakemchuk was mostly invisible, got a lot of ice but not a lot came of it. Was chasing the game a lot and was constantly caught flat footed and forced to pivot not being able to correctly gauge the pace of the game. I expected more, personally.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Parekh was very good, was consistently getting into the play and directing his teammates, was very vocal. Got caught a lot but Minhyo and one of his foe was always back to cover for him for him to make a play on the backcheck. Was getting outmuscled physically and was afraid of the corners but was very impressive all things told.

Yakemchuk was mostly invisible, got a lot of ice but not a lot came of it. Was chasing the game a lot and was constantly caught flat footed and forced to pivot not being able to correctly gauge the pace of the game. I expected more, personally.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I think there is some truth to Hockey Canada just removing some things under the guise of economic hardships. No doubt the budget is reduced after some sponsors severed ties due to public hysterics, but I don't believe that they couldn't stream the game. Didn't want to is more like it.

Goals based on Masters tweets:

Team Red - Goal Nadeau; Assists Mynio and Cowan
Team Red - Goal Catton (PP)
Team Red - Goal Mynio; Assists Ritchie and Parekh
Team White - Goal Barkey; Assist Iginla
Team White - Goal Heidt; Assist Cristall
Team White - Goal Romani; Assist Sennecke
Team Red - Goal Rehkopf; Assist Cristall
Yeah that’s my belief as well, it is a convenient excuse they can fall back on. Would have been nice to see the game last night, or tonight vs sweden.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.

Red:

White:

Thanks for the report. Have coached and watched alot of Sennecke the last 3-4 years and that’s always been the biggest drawback for him, trying to do a bit too much. But he’s a dynamic talent and can make plays out of nothing, and has true game breaking ability. Put him on a line with a responsible C like Ritchie or Barkey and he’ll be dominant. I really like Molendyk as well, the perfect modern day defender. Elite mobility. Price would be a nice compliment to a Bonk imo. Fully with you on Martone as well, personally I think he needs to be on this team come December, but surprised they used him so seldomly considering his role at the U18’s. Maybe fighting a bit of a cold or injury. Either way I’d take him in December as he’s incredibly versatile and can play on any of the 4 lines. I know it’s not related to this thread per se, but a hot take I have is that Matthew Schaefer is going to really push for a spot on this team as an underager. I’d take him as the 7th D for sure, he’s mature beyond his years and can skate for days. I think he’s going to challenge Hagens for 1OA this year.

I love the CFL but, I agree, a replay over a stream... No.
Especially considering they clearly had cameras in Windsor to show the highlights. Even a stream without play by play would be good enough.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
The combined viewership for a stream of an intersquad game at a junior summer camp would be about the number of people reading this forum. Maybe 12. They may not get a big audience for a replay of a football game, but it costs them zero dollars.

Nerds never know just how nerdy we (I mean THEY) are.
You’re not wrong, but there’s also all their family members and grandparents who might not be in Windsor. Doesn’t even have to be tsn, hockey Canada can put on a cheap stream, they’ve done it in the past. Part of my gripe about them is how lazy they are. For example, they play sweden tonight, and their Twitter page has nothing about it. Not a lineup, not a preview, nothing. Where as USA hockey has their own dedicated streaming service.

DavidLamb

Nov 14, 2017
What about Heidt, Romani, Crystall, Barkey and Barlow?

I thought Martone and Yager are the red team.

Red:

White:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Good catch, they were on Red. My mistake.

As for the 4 listed - White for 90% of the game was on the back foot, they were truly dominated up until the 10 minute mark in the third when they finally started to gain momentum. Barkley was the best of the bunch listed, was a hound throughout the game and kept his feet moving and wasn’t afraid to go into the corners for a small guy. Heidt made a few nice plays here and there but for the most part was outmatched in pace and couldn’t solve Red’s defence.
Barlow was very vocal on the ice, and showcased a few times his ability to get a shot off quick, but for a player of his prestige - he should have been more visible.
Romani was good, made some smart plays and was playing with pace throughout.
Cristall when given space was lethal, for sure. However he was unable to get that space by himself, he just wasn’t shifty enough to out maneuver Red’s defence who was excellent until late in the third. Excellent vision and showcased it on Romani’s goal.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Who watches the CFL anymore?

Perhaps I should, it is Canadiana after all.
Yes you should, young man...

1722460624296.png

Especially considering they clearly had cameras in Windsor to show the highlights. Even a stream without play by play would be good enough.
Yes!

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Red:

White:

Thanks for the insights. From the highlights that TSN uploaded the pace looked pretty laid back. I think that Chadwick is probably more than a sleeper, he's 6'4 and put up decent points last year, plus his GM is the GM of the team. Not surprised about Molendyk, he was poised to be in the top four last year before he had to pull out of the tournament. Pleasantly surprised to hear that about Sennecke. I'm very curious to see what happens with Nadeau next year, it's either NHL or AHL for him.

Reactions: hullsy47

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Price, Sennecke, and Dickinson stand out as missing from that roster if we’re looking at who is on the cusp and not playing. Obviously McKenna isn’t there.

Curious how closely this lineup ends up to the final team.
I think they went with team red on this one.. a bunch go home and we'll see from there.. Not sure if they juggle the rest through the tournament.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I was talking with a NHL scout at the games in Windsor: The players that were placed on team red were the guys that as of now have inside track at the team.

Also, Gavin McKenna would have been here if it didn’t interfere with the Hlinka.
Makes sense. I think of the red forward group, Howe will likely fall out, as well as one of Cataford/Martone/Spence. Say Mckenna takes one of those spots, I think it comes down to one of Barkey/Barlow/Senneck. I think Barlow likely makes this team, but I do think he’s going to have a good start to the season. I think he needs a fresh start from Owen sound. Oshawa would be a good destination for him as they’re going to be a top team and have a lot of draft capital for trades.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Carter George played at least part of the game. Hockey Canada seems very high on him. I wonder if there's a chance he will get into some games at Christmas. Seems as a general rule Hockey Canada doesn't like using younger than 19 year old goalies.
Also he is on the red team which Germanspitfire suggests will make up the majority of the roster.

Reactions: Dominance

DavidLamb

Nov 14, 2017
Wow Canada Lost to Sweden, next they will lose to Finland and then also lose to USA.

Ad

Ad

Ad