Votes: 12 14.5%
  • Ron is Wide Awake

Votes: 71 85.5%

• Total voters

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Since any move is a gamble and there are no sure things in professional sports, I think the best you can hope for in any offseason is that management identifies the issues at hand and then makes the appropriate gambles necessary to potentially correct them.

I'm not entirely sold on the moves we made this off-season thus far, but I am heartened that they're addressing issues we've all harped on (blueline and bottom 6 composition, team identity, top 6 RWs). I have no idea if they'll be successful or not, but at least it's not the status quo.

I'd point out Ondrej Palat now costs more than Kapanen and Rutta probably will combined. Not a super feasible option.
Also Palat's injury prone and has only cracked 20 goals once.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
At the very least he either needs to re-sign Kap or trade him.
9D is still too many...
Cagg and Archibald can be shuttled to the A.
Kap will be signed bc we have so few righties I believe. Barring trades.
GCR
Zuck-G-Rak
Poehling-Carter-Kap
DOC-Blue-McGinn

That 2LW and bottom 6 is very suspect.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
9D is still too many...
Cagg and Archibald can be shuttled to the A.
Kap will be signed bc we have so few righties I believe. Barring trades.
GCR
Zuck-G-Rak
Poehling-Carter-Kap
DOC-Blue-McGinn

That 2LW and bottom 6 is very suspect.
2LW for sure, but that's been an ongoing concern. The fact that Hextall secured 1RW and 2RW for the rest of this team's window for 10 mil per is a miracle in itself.

The bottom 6 looks alright to me, even if I wish it had more jam. But again, it's July. Lots can change.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
There's a lot of players in the mix for the bottom 6 and there's lots of radically different 3rd and 4th lines we can roll. I'm kind of curious to see which direction they'll go.

I still feel like there's going to be another move in the bottom 6 before the season begins.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Here's what I'm seeing as the opening day lineup, barring injuries:

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Rakell - Malkin - Kapanen (~$1.6M -- that's my guess but even if I'm low they can still afford him)
Zucker - Blueger - Carter
McGinn - Poehling - Archibald
Zohorna

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
POJ - Rutta
Friedman - Ruhwedel

Jarry - DeSmith

DOC & Smith in WBS because of waiver status. We know that Hextall likes to hold on to as many "NHL" players as possible instead of losing someone to waivers as per the Lafferty trade.

And yes, for the love of god, move Blue up to 3C and Carter to 3RW.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Rakell - Malkin - Kapanen (~$1.6M -- that's my guess but even if I'm low they can still afford him)
Zohorna

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
POJ - Rutta
Friedman - Ruhwedel

Jarry - DeSmith

DOC & Smith in WBS because of waiver status. We know that Hextall likes to hold on to as many "NHL" players as possible instead of losing someone to waivers as per the Lafferty trade.

yeah, I’d like to see this lineup with the exception of Archibald as I want DOC or Puusy to gain a spot…but this would be my preferred lineup…i would have no issue waiving both Caggiula and Archibald as I think they’d clear and should be playing in Wilkes lol…

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Zohorna

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
POJ - Rutta
Friedman - Ruhwedel

Jarry - DeSmith

That’s not going to be the opening night lineup though. Jeff Carter is going to be the 3C for the next 2 seasons

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Might not be the right time and place but the boards would be a slighly better place if derogatory nicknames weren't allowed and users that use them in almost every post would be sent to the shadow realm. But alas, here we are.

The one asshole who constantly puts “sleepy” in their posts should be publicly tarred and feathered for how f***ing annoying they are. So this is perfect.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
The muppets here were complaining about going into next season with the same roster and saying we’d get the same result. So Hex signs Rakell and completely revamps the defence. Now the complaints are why would he change the defence. Some people…

Who-Killed-Hannibal.jpg

Love the Petry trade, slightly dislike the Marino trade, would of preferred Petts to be moved, but that trade has a lot of potential. I still think there has to be another trade in the works on defence. Overall I love how our right side now stacks up. And we got someone else to throw on the PP point instead of Letang.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
The muppets here were complaining about going into next season with the same roster and saying we’d get the same result. So Hex signs Rakell and completely revamps the defence. Now the complaints are why would he change the defence. Some people…

Who-Killed-Hannibal.jpg

Love the Petry trade, slightly dislike the Marino trade, would of preferred Petts to be moved, but that trade has a lot of potential. I still think there has to be another trade in the works on defence. Overall I love how our right side now stacks up. And we got someone else to throw on the PP point instead of Letang.

The whole league knew our first choice was move on from Petts. I think either there wasn't a market for him or Hextall didn't like the offers made (we probably had to pay extra to rid him).

The encouraging thing about Petts was he ended the year on a good note and I believe he'll carry that into next year.

My thoughts exactly!

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Also Palat's injury prone and has only cracked 20 goals once.
You don't sign Palat to sign goals, you do sign Palat to do literally everything else. A defensive forward who can slot into your L1 no problem. He's incredibly smart with the puck, that's why he's such a beast in the postseason, he doesn't crack. He's the guy who keeps our team afloat in Game 5 when Trouba takes out Crosby and the team starts to collapse.

If the goal is to bring Rakell back to his 30 goal days on L2 and with Guentzel on L1, there's no need for a shoot-first guy in the top-6 anyway.

Not sure I'd call him injury prone either.

Anyway it's moot since he's a Devil now.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You don't sign Palat to sign goals, you do sign Palat to do literally everything else. A defensive forward who can slot into your L1 no problem. He's incredibly smart with the puck, that's why he's such a beast in the postseason, he doesn't crack. He's the guy who keeps our team afloat in Game 5 when Trouba takes out Crosby and the team starts to collapse.

If the goal is to bring Rakell back to his 30 goal days on L2 and with Guentzel on L1, there's no need for a shoot-first guy in the top-6 anyway.

Not sure I'd call him injury prone either.

Anyway it's moot since he's a Devil now.
I hope Rakell gets his scoring touch back here. It's been 5 years since he's scored 30+ goals. I'm not even sure he's that player any more.

I like him and what he brings, but if he doesn't get back to being a regular 20+ goal scorer here, he'll be a disappointment.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I hope Rakell gets his scoring touch back here. It's been 5 years since he's scored 30+ goals. I'm not even sure he's that player any more.

I like him and what he brings, but if he doesn't get back to being a regular 20+ goal scorer here, he'll be a disappointment.
Ricky the Rake scored 20 last season, paced for 19 in 19-20, paced for 21 last season... 20-21 is the only time since 15-16 he got nowhere near. Sounds regular enough.

I apologise now for cursing him.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Ricky the Rake scored 20 last season, paced for 19 in 19-20, paced for 21 last season... 20-21 is the only time since 15-16 he got nowhere near. Sounds regular enough.

I apologise now for cursing him.
Yeah I feel decently confident he can hit 20 provided he's healthy. 30....I dunno. We'll see. I'd love to see it. It would mean the second line is really gelling.

Reactions: Peat

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Hextall was like a bear that found a cocaine stash yesterday. Does he go back into hibernation for the summer or does he find more??
Coked up Sleepy is way better than hibernating, ambien eating sleepy.

Who-Killed-Hannibal.jpg

How do you only slightly dislike the Marino trade? You simply can’t be objective if you aren’t admitting that was awful.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I feel decently confident he can hit 20 provided he's healthy. 30....I dunno. We'll see. I'd love to see it. It would mean the second line is really gelling.

Looking at his stats, his rise and fall in goalscoring looks really tied to Getzlaf's and Perry's ageing. His last great goal scoring season was their last great seasons too. Then he gets to play with Zegras and surprise! Goals.

I think it's still possible if the line gels and he gets PP time. But it doesn't look like he's a natural goalscorer in his own right, not the way some players are.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Zohorna

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
POJ - Rutta
Friedman - Ruhwedel

Jarry - DeSmith

Isn't DOC's new contract a one way deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad