Hextall. An amazing job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Never played it, this was a 2nd or 3rd time I even saw it.

My gaming days are long gone and I am at least one gaming decade behind :(

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Never played it, this was a 2nd or 3rd time I even saw it.

My gaming days are long gone and I am at least one gaming decade behind :(
Same here, roughly NFS II to GTA 3 timeline. By the look of it fortnite seems more for middleschoolers so striikers crowd and I doubt we have many of those here.

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Same here, roughly NFS II to GTA 3 timeline. By the look of it fortnite seems more for middleschoolers so striikers crowd and I doubt we have many of those here.

My timeline would go slightly further, by about 5 or 6 years I would say.

But I am actually very close to striiker in age :laugh: (real age, not the anecdotal age)

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Look @Hollywood Couturier, another daycare pal for us to play with!

giphy.gif

Reactions: Rebels57

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Gallant also took over a veteran squad that was highly motivated (if you're exposed to the ED, that's a career wakeup call) with only 2 players under 25 years old, that's a heck of a lot easier to coach. And he's "old school", likes his team to be gritty and physical, just what everyone here hates.

This season Vegas is 8-11-1, GF 49, GA 57, the goalies have a S% of .898.
This despite one of the best PK in the league.
xGF/60 is 5th, but xGA/60 is 27th and S% is 31st
The GM has been exposed, the Pacioretty/Tatar sequences of trades was awful.

What was a Cinderella team has crashed back to earth, and it's not young, Tuch (22), Theodore (23), Carrier (24), only players under 25.

Point is there are no "miracle" coaches out there.

GM GM hasn't been exposed. He built the core of two SCF teams last year. That's an accomplishment/resume that Hextall can't match.

No one said Gallant is a miracle coach. No one is asking for a miracle coach, but how about one who can make the obvious moves that everyone can see need to be made?

As for Gallant's fondness for grit, LOL. Marchessault-Karlsson-Smith is one of the smallest/softest finesse lines in the league. His grit guys are playing great. Reaves is posting a 58% Corsi with 4 goals. Bellemare is 125% the player he was here.

The main problems with the team are some bad shooting luck from top players; Smith's lack of production; missing their Nos. 2-3 centers and their top defensemen; and bad goalie play. Subban is legit terrible but Fleury is going to be better. They've outshot opponents 682-615, the bad record isn't sustainable.

I'd bet on the Knights finishing higher than the Flyers this year.

HeyHanrahan

Sep 20, 2018
PA
Question for you guys. Been thinking a lot about our goalie situation for next year. Recently we've seen free agents in the major American sports sign massive short term deals. Off the top of my head, the Sixers and JJ Redick, the Eagles and Alshon Jeffery.

1. Do you think Hextall would entertain the possibility of signing a top free agent goalie like Bobrovsky to a massive 13-20 million dollar 1 year deal? We'll have cap space for the first time in forever, why not use it until Hart is ready to start.
2. Do you think top or mid-tier NHL free agents will start signing massive 1 year deals in lieu of less lucrative (on a yearly basis) long-term contracts?

Reactions: Curufinwe

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Max AAV is 20% of the cap so, that's $17m if the cap is $85m.

2 years at $13m for 31 year old Bob seems reasonable to me.

Reactions: HeyHanrahan

HeyHanrahan

Sep 20, 2018
PA
Max AAV is 20% of the cap so, that's $17m if the cap is $85m.

2 years at $13m for 31 year old Bob seems reasonable to me.

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the heads up on the aav. I knew there was a limit but I wasn't exactly sure what it was.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Quite a lot for someone with a pretty bad playoff performance record.

It would be a huge gamble in terms of money, but only in terms of money. The deal would end when Hart's ELC ends, so timing wise it couldn't be better.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It would be a huge gamble in terms of money, but only in terms of money. The deal would end when Hart's ELC ends, so timing wise it couldn't be better.
If they could fit it under the cap I would be all for it on a two year deal. Can a capologist confirm whether or not that would doable?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm not worried about the cap it at all because, like you said, we have the space and it'd only be a short deal... But I don't know if he's the guy I'd target, given his past and reputation for choking in the playoffs. He'd be an upgrade on what we have, for sure, but we might just be upgrading from a big problem to a smaller problem.

Obviously the fact that he'd be free to acquire is a big plus (as in, free agency instead of a trade), but I think next year they really need to make a dent in the playoffs, even if that means going after someones goalie/backup and losing some assets in a trade. I guess it depends on what's out there.

I just really don't trust Bob.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I can't say I trust Bob either. Don't think he's worth the cash.

I'd only be down for it if the Flyers shoot their shot with other FAs I'd want and explored trades to no avail...only THEN would I be down for it. If the space is sitting there and we can sign a former Vezina winner (even if I don't trust him) super short term, why not.

But that's like a last minute resort if more logical and efficient plans fail.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Bob >>> anything we have right now and for the next few years.

I'd bet on Bob turning in a good playoff performance before I bet on any goaltender currently employed by the Flyers doing so in the next 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad