Prospect Info: Hershey Bears/South Carolina Stingrays 2023-24 Seasons | Hershey 12x (and Defending) Champions Edition

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Hopefully he is just used once a weekend at most for some rotation. I watched a few of his fights on Hockeyfights.com and he seems like he can be a real prick and play with an edge. I guess it is something they are lacking a bit with having a more skilled team.

This is the guy who McIlrath suckered and was suspended for FWIW
I mean, with Imama going to WBS and Sweezey to Providence, can't hurt to have a part time pugilist on the roster. I remember him from the Phantoms a couple years ago

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Bears have had their share of goons in my time watching over the years. Bonvie, Robitaille (more of a pest really), Doug Doull, Kip Brennan, Pete Vandermeer, Grant McNeill, Rechlicz, Kessy, Osipov, granted only Bonvie and Robo tended to take regular shifts. Then there's guys who put up big PIMs but could play too, Arsene, Amadio, Wellar, Oleksy, Pinizzotto, LOB, Newbury, Byers. It's never been the Bears' bread and butter but they usually have some sort of toughness on the team.

And in an era when the Phantoms were regularly dressing the likes of Gratton, Cote, Fedoruk, etc and WBS was regularly dressing the likes of Koci, Mike Sgroi, Vandenbussche, and Bonvie after he left Hershey, it was needed. Of course, the game has changed a lot since then. I don't have much of a use for pure goons in today's game either. Even Wrecker and Kessy I found pretty useless and wastes of a roster spot despite being loved by the fanbase at large. I doubt Saulnier will play much at all but he did put up about a half point a game in limited action with Belleville a couple years ago. Maybe we can get that out of him again?

I did want Hershey to add a little bit of sandpaper up front after getting pushed around by Cleveland. My hope was for guys who are also decent players but that kind of guy doesn't really grow on trees. Someone like John Hayden from Coachella Valley.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The guys they added are bigger in nature. All 5’10” and above, which is a plus. They did get pushed around a lot in the Cleveland series. I was surprised that the CV series wasn’t more physical but Hershey played with more grit compared to the ECF.

Fans are clamoring for them to sign Strome but I think his time is up unless he wants to take a reduced role. There’s a lot of bodies at the forward position

NoVaCapsFan

Apr 19, 2017
Here is a report from Caps Player Development Cap, where todays 3x3 practice was open to the public

Leonard - looks ready for prime time
Parascak - does not but he’s young yet
Cristall - great hands!
Ilya Protas - a man among boys, surprisingly nimble
Hutson - sneaky shot, a gamer … small
Suzdalev - smooth skater, could be fun to watch
Kempf - made some nice saves, could be a good low round pick

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Here is a report from Caps Player Development Cap, where todays 3x3 practice was open to the public

Leonard - looks ready for prime time
Parascak - does not but he’s young yet
Cristall - great hands!
Ilya Protas - a man among boys, surprisingly nimble
Hutson - sneaky shot, a gamer … small
Suzdalev - smooth skater, could be fun to watch
Kempf - made some nice saves, could be a good low round pick
Thanks for updates :)

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
What rookies can we realistically expect to get playing time? Funk, Suzdalev, Thornton?
Also a slight bit disappointed our huntington replacement is a guy looking to bounce back from injury instead of a guy we’re confident will produce, but I’ll admit I don’t know much about him

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
What rookies can we realistically expect to get playing time? Funk, Suzdalev, Thornton?
Also a slight bit disappointed our huntington replacement is a guy looking to bounce back from injury instead of a guy we’re confident will produce, but I’ll admit I don’t know much about him
I don't know if any of those three will see a regular spot but injuries and call ups are bound to happen and could force the issue. Wouldn't be surprised to see Thornton eventually outplay Massie and get into the lineup on a regular basis due to his pace and offensive pop. Suzdalev I'm still worried about being ready for AHL hockey but it's probably now or never if he's going to play pro hockey in America. He'll see time when the inevitable Miro or Trineyev call up happens for injury in Washington. Hofer I thought played well in limited duty last year but he could end up seeing ECHL time this year because I think Funk beats him out for 13th forward.

Miro-Sgarbossa-Frank
Limo-Philp-Dube
Smallman-Roe-Vechs
Rybi-Sutter-Trineyev
Extra: Hofer, Funk, Suzdalev, Saulnier

Ness-McIlrath
HHA-Iorio
Massie-Priskie
Extra: Leivermann, Thornton, Osipov

Stevenson
Shepherd

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Special mention to Deryk Engelland, who I completely neglected in my fighter list. Jacques and Marc-Antoine Pouliot (I think) had been shitting on Hershey and the Bears to the local WBS media not unlike what Coachella's media did this year. I still remember this fight like it was yesterday and I think it was among the loudest moments I remember from Giant Center to that point. The place blew up. Honestly it's sort of a miracle footage of it exists on YouTube given how poorly documented minor league video is pre-2010 or so.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Special mention to Deryk Engelland, who I completely neglected in my fighter list. Jacques and Marc-Antoine Pouliot (I think) had been shitting on Hershey and the Bears to the local WBS media not unlike what Coachella's media did this year. I still remember this fight like it was yesterday and I think it was among the loudest moments I remember from Giant Center to that point. The place blew up. Honestly it's sort of a miracle footage of it exists on YouTube given how poorly documented minor league video is pre-2010 or so.

JF Jacques was an asshole. He knocked Joey Tenute out of the playoffs that year with a dirty hit and wouldn’t answer for it in game so Engelland went after him the next game.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
JF Jacques was an asshole. He knocked Joey Tenute out of the playoffs that year with a dirty hit and wouldn’t answer for it in game so Engelland went after him the next game.
Engelland was an underrated fighter. Went toe to toe with plenty of heavies in the NHL and usually fared really well. He had Colton Orr seeing stars once iirc. It was a real shame to see him leave for the Penguins org but he had a nice long career for someone who started in the ECHL.

That year was also the birth of my insane skepticism. The Bears completely steamrolled through the first three rounds and I thought a repeat was an inevitability. Then they couldn't solve Price or the Bulldogs defense to save their lives. It was a heavy slap in the face of reality to a 10 year old kid, lol.

Reactions: hb13xchamps

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I don't know if any of those three will see a regular spot but injuries and call ups are bound to happen and could force the issue. Wouldn't be surprised to see Thornton eventually outplay Massie and get into the lineup on a regular basis due to his pace and offensive pop. Suzdalev I'm still worried about being ready for AHL hockey but it's probably now or never if he's going to play pro hockey in America. He'll see time when the inevitable Miro or Trineyev call up happens for injury in Washington. Hofer I thought played well in limited duty last year but he could end up seeing ECHL time this year because I think Funk beats him out for 13th forward.

Miro-Sgarbossa-Frank
Limo-Philp-Dube
Smallman-Roe-Vechs
Rybi-Sutter-Trineyev
Extra: Hofer, Funk, Suzdalev, Saulnier

Ness-McIlrath
HHA-Iorio
Massie-Priskie
Extra: Leivermann, Thornton, Osipov

Stevenson
Shepherd
Feels like last year when i thought we signed too many players and were going to force some developing players out of the lineup. Turns out it was all good and the right moves. Still, feels the same way this year. Haha.

I think they may try to have Rybinski play 3C and have Roe on wing.

At full roster there are just too many players. But one of Frank, Rybinski, or Trineyev could make the caps. There will be injuries so callups will happen to even things out but this feels like a very veteran heavy roster again.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Really surprised to see LuJo and Phillips both unsigned as of today. Wonder what kind of options they are weighing?

The one I thought about was the new Major League Hockey 3v3 league that’s debuting in the fall. They are supposedly going to pay their players pretty well as each team has a $30 million salary cap.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Really surprised to see LuJo and Phillips both unsigned as of today. Wonder what kind of options they are weighing?

The one I thought about was the new Major League Hockey 3v3 league that’s debuting in the fall. They are supposedly going to pay their players pretty well as each team has a $30 million salary cap.
3 on 3 league?

Egads! I can think of nothing worse. I hate 3 on 3 for OT

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
3 on 3 league?

Egads! I can think of nothing worse. I hate 3 on 3 for OT

lol yep. Twitter rumors indicated it might be a Saudi backed league. Apparently they had some very strict NDAs revolved around any leaks about the league. No clue why they think this is a good idea

MFHOOD

Apr 29, 2024

First I've heard of this new 3-on-3 league, color me quite intrigued... not really sure what to even think of it yet but it is certainly interesting

lol yep. Twitter rumors indicated it might be a Saudi backed league. Apparently they had some very strict NDAs revolved around any leaks about the league. No clue why they think this is a good idea

Nevermind

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Do you think any of those 980 players know they got drafted to the three on three league

Pretty cool they’re going to have open tryouts in Toronto and Minnesota it actually seems like pretty good money for that level of hockey

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I don’t know how many college players or top juniors would leave their club teams to play in the three on three league unless they were allowed to do both leagues.

Watch some how Jagr is on a team lol

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US

Phillips would have surprised me earlier this year but after he was a ghost during the Bears run I am significantly less surprised.

LuJo is probably trying to hold out for a one-way deal somewhere (that way even if he gets sent down at least he's making NHL money), but he may have to settle for a two-way deal with a high AHL salary.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Do you think any of those 980 players know they got drafted to the three on three league

Pretty cool they’re going to have open tryouts in Toronto and Minnesota it actually seems like pretty good money for that level of hockey
No idea. The only rumors I’ve heard/seen were that any players or coaches who asked about it were only fed information once they signed NDAs.

Some are even skeptical that it is going to even happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad