Prospect Info: Henrik Borgström (2016, #23 overall), Univ. of Denver (NCAA), signed ELC on 3/26/2018

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chaos2k7

2024 Stanley Cup Champions! 🏆
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
At minimum he gets 9 games
No, if Borg plays one professional game, that means that he has signed a contract and given up his NCAA rights. If he is not on Florida, he would have to be in the AHL. Either way, no 9 game max, he would be on his first year of the ELC regardless.

Reactions: RainingRats

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Probably will never become an elite defensive player, but as long as he is average he will be great. Just pair him with better defensive players.

Another thing: You don't have to defend when you have the puck.

He should focus on using his skating, stick skills, length to dispossess opposing players of the puck. Doesn't seem like he has any physical element to his game.

There will be a learning curve for him once he is NHL. He will need good coaching.
Good thing he has a Finnish buddy on the team who lives and breathes hockey. I think he'll be fine. If he doesn't make the NHL next year i'll be disappointed.

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
No, if Borg plays one professional game, that means that he has signed a contract and given up his NCAA rights. If he is not on Florida, he would have to be in the AHL. Either way, no 9 game max, he would be on his first year of the ELC regardless.

Yes true I forgot he is an NCAA player

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site

Yeah... The guy isn't physical, but he is no Phil Kessel... Like a Malkin, he will play the boards to make plays if need be, that's all you ask of your offensive player !

Actually, I like the Huberdeau's comparison someone made... He has that kind of goofy skating stride. He isn't as crouched as Huberdeau, and has his head up all the time.

He should have been in the NHL this year, and he will compete for the Calder next.

Reactions: RainingRats

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Yeah... The guy isn't physical, but he is no Phil Kessel... Like a Malkin, he will play the boards to make plays if need be, that's all you ask of your offensive player !

Actually, I like the Huberdeau's comparison someone made... He has that kind of goofy skating stride. He isn't as crouched as Huberdeau, and has his head up all the time.

He should have been in the NHL this year, and he will compete for the Calder next.
Yeah and Huberdeau didn't have much of a defensive game in the Q.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Yeah and Huberdeau didn't have much of a defensive game in the Q.
Exactly which shows you can learn it if you’re committed. Best part is you know he’s going to be around Barkov 24/7 and he’ll be learning by watching him. I’d be willing to bet Borgstrom becomes a very adequate defensive player.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Exactly which shows you can learn it if you’re committed. Best part is you know he’s going to be around Barkov 24/7 and he’ll be learning by watching him. I’d be willing to bet Borgstrom becomes a very adequate defensive player.

For a brief moment, I thought you were talking about his video game skills!

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Any chance they call him up if they get eliminated early and Vatrano/Malgin aren't ready yet?

Rather try him out than have Vruseless keep faking it.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
I would assume the team would like to sign him ASAP.

Don't think he has much more to work on that requires him to stay in college to evolve as a hockey player. Stint in the NHL or the AHL would be beneficial for him going into next year/TC. Assume he would jump straight into the NHL even with Malgin healthy.

Mogo

Jun 26, 2002

I really hope Barkov's training attitude will rub off on him too. There personas whoever are funny. They are like that total opposite

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Remember Borg is a student athlete. Much more likely he comes to camp next year.

It could be the same approach that Bjugstad took when he made his debut...he played the last 11 games 12-13 season after his college season ended. I'm pretty sure Bjugstad finished school after that in some sort of alternate timeline. It will depend on when Borgstrom's season ends though, but I'd love to see him in a few games this season, but that's just my selfish opinion.

Reactions: Chaos2k7 and Ghoste

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
If he could play for us this year, I'm sure his agent is going to want to burn a year off his ELC and Tallon will probably sign him. Not worth the risk of him going the free agent route, even though I think that's quite unlikely.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
If he could play for us this year, I'm sure his agent is going to want to burn a year off his ELC and Tallon will probably sign him. Not worth the risk of him going the free agent route, even though I think that's quite unlikely.
that's why I thought it was so stupid that this wasn't that year. he should've been with us the whole season and we wouldn't have that prob. oh right and we might even be in a playoff spot.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

Well, as long as we dont play him in 9 regular season games, the year isnt burned I believe. Playoffs does include this though.

So, we could play him in 8 games, provided we do need him to help us finish out the race. If he excels, use him in the playoffs and burn that shit (I wouldnt be against it). If we dont make it, no harm done. If we do make it but he doesnt excel, sit him during the playoffs and again no harm done.

Anyone but Vrbata. He honestly looks like he doesnt give a shit anymore

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Well, as long as we dont play him in 9 regular season games, the year isnt burned I believe. Playoffs does include this though.

So, we could play him in 8 games, provided we do need him to help us finish out the race. If he excels, use him in the playoffs and burn that **** (I wouldnt be against it). If we dont make it, no harm done. If we do make it but he doesnt excel, sit him during the playoffs and again no harm done.

Anyone but Vrbata. He honestly looks like he doesnt give a **** anymore
I think the 9 game rule is different for college players

Chaos2k7

2024 Stanley Cup Champions! 🏆
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Best case scenario this season would be a Bjugstad type deal. Signs and comes straight to the NHL with an agreement that he will play a minimum of 10 games this year to burn that first year of the ELC.

More likely he comes to camp next season IMO.

A guy like Borgstrom has a decent chance to hit bonuses and escalators on his rookie deal. It will be interesting how the team, agent, and Borg himself want to do it.

Reactions: drktmplr12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad