TV: HBO: Euphoria

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think the tension levels got raised a bit last night.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I feel like the Jules storyline with Cal and Nate is actually the main story given the events of the most recent episode, and I'm guessing Maddy plays a role in getting them pinched.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I still feel like this show is still being slept on.

Again, I must say the cinematography in this show is outstanding. As well as the music choices.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
After a first couple episodes where I thought it may just be sensationalized trying to draw attention to the show, the plot has gotten very good. Cinematography and score are phenomenal and the actors/actresses are doing a fantastic job.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Renewed for season 2, fantastic.

I was on the fence about whether or not I wanted to watch the show when the pilot episode was airing, but the "HBO" of it all got me in, and I'm glad I did. Episode 4 last weekend was fantastic.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Finally got around to watching the first episode. On one hand I think it's very well made; the cinematography really is great in this, and the soundtrack keeps things interesting.

On the downside, it felt like a bunch of cliches masked by good production. The jock character was completely insane. Why were all the jocks shirtless before the actual party? They cut to a scene and there's just 5 shirtless dudes sitting around a couch for no reason whatsoever. How on the nose can they possibly be? I won't judge too much yet because they'll probably do something with him where his whole act is a front, but that in itself is a massive cliche, so I dunno.

I have to say, if Zendaya pulls this act throughout the entire season, it's going to be very grating for me. I've only ever seen her in Spider-Man: Homecoming, but I swear her mannerisms and act in general in this is identical to what it was in Spider-Man.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Haven't seen the show, but reading this thread it sounds like HBO just took Kids and turned it into a TV series.
I've heard this compared to that and Skins, neither of which I've seen, but as this generation's version of either of those.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I've heard this compared to that and Skins, neither of which I've seen, but as this generation's version of either of those.
Kids is a great movie. I liked Skins (and I still don’t know why) so maybe I’ll check this out sometime.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I'm really enjoying this show. The acting is great, writing is great and visuals is great. The storylines have been keeping me interested and making me want more.

Recommended it to my roommate, as well, and he loves it.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Finally got around to watching the first episode. On one hand I think it's very well made; the cinematography really is great in this, and the soundtrack keeps things interesting.

On the downside, it felt like a bunch of cliches masked by good production. The jock character was completely insane. Why were all the jocks shirtless before the actual party? They cut to a scene and there's just 5 shirtless dudes sitting around a couch for no reason whatsoever. How on the nose can they possibly be? I won't judge too much yet because they'll probably do something with him where his whole act is a front, but that in itself is a massive cliche, so I dunno.

I have to say, if Zendaya pulls this act throughout the entire season, it's going to be very grating for me. I've only ever seen her in Spider-Man: Homecoming, but I swear her mannerisms and act in general in this is identical to what it was in Spider-Man.
As I said earlier in this thread, I think the first couple episodes seem a lot like this; rather cliche and over dramatized, but as you get a few more episodes in the story becomes really good.

Zendaya is a bit grating though I would agree with that. The actress for Jules is great though, plus Fezco is awesome, Nate is a psycho but played really well.

I think it's worth watching a few more episodes for sure.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
As I said earlier in this thread, I think the first couple episodes seem a lot like this; rather cliche and over dramatized, but as you get a few more episodes in the story becomes really good.

Zendaya is a bit grating though I would agree with that. The actress for Jules is great though, plus Fezco is awesome, Nate is a psycho but played really well.

I think it's worth watching a few more episodes for sure.

Watched the second episode and I think it was better, especially in terms of the jock character. Still felt a bit cliche and that they did certain things for nothing more than shock value, but if it gets less pronounced from here on out, I don't think it's a bad way to introduce people to the different issues at play. The cliches aren't always a bad thing though. I liked the part where that new kid came into class and sat down next to the big girl. He's a recognizable actor and not at all sinister looking, but literally before anything I thought, "This is a school shooter, isn't it?" And then the show addresses that right away, which I thought was interesting.

Really happy that a lot of people are taking well to Hunter Schafer's character (Jules). You hear so much controversy nowadays about trans people getting passed over for trans roles (which I don't personally view as any kind of sleight as I think it should always be about the art-form, and whoever the TV show or movie-makers feel is the best choice for a certain role should land the role regardless of background), but this does a lot to combat the notion that trans people don't get parts because there aren't enough of them out there with the talent or notoriety to land the roles. First time acting and had direct input into her role; sometimes it's just about being given a chance. For as cliche as things get in this show, I think they've actually handled the whole trans angle with a lot of subtlety and nuance so far, when it easily had the chance to be the most sensationalized aspect of the show.

Wait people don't like Zendaya's acting in this? Why?
It's just her delivery for me. As I mentioned somewhere above, I've only ever seen her in the first Spider-Man movie and now this, and it definitely seems like she plays both parts identically. Sleepy and standoffish, and seems like she's trying too hard to be "eccentric"; it's something that makes more sense in this role though, I guess. Not going to judge too much because I've only seen a small part of what she does, but both characters I've seen have annoyed me.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If you're going to start a thread about a show or movie, etiquette requires you to include a trailer in the OP

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Similar to 13 Reasons Why glorifying suicide, I hate shows that glorify and normalize gratuitous sex, violence and drug use.

Adults exploiting teenagers preying on children, all for the sake of "content".

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Similar to 13 Reasons Why glorifying suicide, I hate shows that glorify and normalize gratuitous sex, violence and drug use.

Adults exploiting teenagers preying on children, all for the sake of "content".
I don't see it glorifying any of that.

13 Reasons Why turned suicide into a revenge fantasy. Euphoria is exploring major issues that affect youth but in a dramatized way. In what aspects do you believe sex, drugs, or violence is being glorified?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I don't see it glorifying any of that.

13 Reasons Why turned suicide into a revenge fantasy. Euphoria is exploring major issues that affect youth but in a dramatized way. In what aspects do you believe sex, drugs, or violence is being glorified?

Because it is beautiful people doing illicit things. Im just reading the wikipedia synopsis and evidently MJ from Spider-Man is a heavy drug user. Every episode is all about sex and drugs.

I just find it so absurd that smoking a cigarette on screen has become the ultimate Hollywood taboo but teenagers abusing every other kind of drug is all just a part of "Peak TV" :rolleyes:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Because it is beautiful people doing illicit things. Im just reading the wikipedia synopsis and evidently MJ from Spider-Man is a heavy drug user. Every episode is all about sex and drugs.

I just find it so absurd that smoking a cigarette on screen has become the ultimate Hollywood taboo but teenagers abusing every other kind of drug is all just a part of "Peak TV" :rolleyes:
I dont believe you can realistically argue that the show glorifies these things simply by reading the synopsis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad