GDT: Hawks vs Wings at 7PM CDT on Wednesday- 1st Preseason Game - On....Blackhawks.com?!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I think you're conflating treating him right in the short term and long term. Countless players have gone on record claiming that a year or 2 in the minors was incredibly beneficial to them in their career. We'll never know but would Vlasic have just gotten the contract he did if he didn't play in Rockford for a season?

Are the Blackhawks a better team with Korchinski over Kaiser? Maybe but I don't think the gap is all that big right now. If a year in minors would increase the odds of Korchinski becoming a solid top pairing Dman for the next decade, I'll do it even if it makes my team, who will likely finish out of the playoffs anyway, a little worse.

And then Korchinski is happy because he gets a larger second contract than he would have had he taken his lumps in the NHL and not properly developed.
Vlasic didn't earn a spot which negates the entire argument.

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
Vlasic didn't earn a spot which negates the entire argument.
So you're saying that if Vlasic was one of the 6 best defenseman on the Blackhawks in 2022, he would have not gotten the development he needed in Rockford because he would be been so angry for not making the Blackhawks after earning a spot and being sent down anyway?

I'm saying that I think Korchinski will be a much better player in 2 or 3 years if he gets a few months in Rockford whether or not he's one of their top 6 defensemen right now. Yeah his current paycheck takes a hit but his next contract is a lot bigger. And I don't think the difference between Korchinski and whoever else would get that spot would make their record much better or worse.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
So you're saying that if Vlasic was one of the 6 best defenseman on the Blackhawks in 2022, he would have not gotten the development he needed in Rockford because he would be been so angry for not making the Blackhawks after earning a spot and being sent down anyway?

I'm saying that I think Korchinski will be a much better player in 2 or 3 years if he gets a few months in Rockford whether or not he's one of their top 6 defensemen right now. Yeah his current paycheck takes a hit but his next contract is a lot bigger. And I don't think the difference between Korchinski and whoever else would get that spot would make their record much better or worse.
I've said none of that. If Vlasic was one of the best defenseman on the Hawks in 22 he should have expected to be on the pro team making pro money.

I get player development isn't linear but if there are five management positions available and I've proven I'm the third most competent one but a company wants me to spend more time in a lesser role for less money as a shift lead I'd be pissed. As would anyone.

Have had this argument a thousand times. You take care of your guys. Treat it like a business they sure as hell will when/if they break out and they're up for a new deal.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
I've said none of that. If Vlasic was one of the best defenseman on the Hawks in 22 he should have expected to be on the pro team making pro money.

I get player development isn't linear but if there are five management positions available and I've proven I'm the third most competent one but a company wants me to spend more time in a lesser role for less money as a shift lead I'd be pissed. As would anyone.

Have had this argument a thousand times. You take care of your guys. Treat it like a business they sure as hell will when/if they break out and they're up for a new deal.
I'm trying to argue that sending him to the AHL is taking care of him. Sure it's less money, riding buses, and no glam but I think the chances of him reaching his full potential are much higher if he spends time down there and I trust he's mature enough to understand that.

If you think that the tradeoff of his optimal development is worth not pissing him off because he feels like he earned a spot, I'd get that I guess.

If my company told me that I'd have a management position in a year and that they have record of people in management positions being much more successful if they had shift lead experience, I'd be cool with it. Even if less qualified people are currently in management

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad