GDT: Hawks vs Wings at 7PM CDT on Wednesday- 1st Preseason Game - On....Blackhawks.com?!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Bedard doesn't really have that possession dominant/play driving style you want from a 1C. I still think in an ideal world you have him next to someone like Barkov/Draisaitl and free him up to blow the zone like Kaner/kucherov and break games open

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Was Hall even pkaying...did he like interested or playing g hardor just vet coasting and turning pucks over?
I did not see the gane but he seemed unable to you know..."showvup"...CRaig Smith did..And Bertuzzi another useless invisible..hardly seemed to help Bedard and TT ..So some vets...Bertuzzi and Halk=passengers tonight..whichbis disturbing as they are exoected to be top 2 line winger contributors.. instead...rotten tomatoes tonight.

Hawks like to Detroit B squad (only pkayo g their top linecand missing key dmen too..and yet former Hawks Gus and Matta and Motte help them beat a Hawks team playing at least 5 starting dmen...(Kaiser may beat out Kk) but even Kk has nit shown special didference-making offense which hexwas drafted for.

So alk in alm a very disappointing g game.

Nazar blew his chance to impress ..Did Mada..

And to top it all off...therexwas nothing Generational about Bedard tonight.

This is looking like a bottom2 team already...

Hard to get excited about decent performances by 3rd andc4th liner types..Where is the beef?Ie.Where is that special offense goibg to cone from..

I do not think LR is happy with what he saw out there tonight...Lose 4-2 to a B squad with only 1cgoodbline of top NHL talent...and get let down by too many vets you supposedly count on ...where are the stars need to help this team?
2nd last again orxworse?

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
preseason so whatever but

Let’s be honest, Bedard looked bad. That cutesy blue line pee wee hockey crap ia stil in his game. We saw it 3 times.

I don’t recall hearing Bertuzzi’s name

Hall looks to like he’s got nothing left.

Like Korch being more aggressive

Smith was buzzing. Looks like a dude who wants to stay.

Bad goal on the 4th.

Other than that, not much

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
preseason so whatever but

Let’s be honest, Bedard looked bad. That cutesy blue line pee wee hockey crap ia stil in his game. We saw it 3 times.

I don’t recall hearing Bertuzzi’s name

Hall looks to like he’s got nothing left.

Like Korch being more aggressive

Smith was buzzing. Looks like a dude who wants to stay.

Bad goal on the 4th.

Other than that, not much
Wouldn't say Bedard looked bad. Maybe by his standards, sure. He made a misplay near the blue line that gave Raymond a breakaway opportunity and he waited too long to shoot once or twice, but he's still better than everyone else out there.

Only now he looks a step faster than last season.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Wouldn't say Bedard looked bad. Maybe by his standards, sure. He made a misplay near the blue line that gave Raymond a breakaway opportunity and he waited too long to shoot once or twice, but he's still better than everyone else out there.

Only now he looks a step faster than last season.

He did the same play and turned over the puck earlier in the first only no break away. Had options, tried to force his way across the blue line when it was obvious the room wasn't there.

It's a learning process and there's more room for great players to make mistakes but some of this skating into trouble trying to force things is easily preventable as it's often not as if he's going for some high reward play in the slot....it's in random areas like the no-turnover zone at their blue line. And, yeah, we saw a lot of it in the regular season last year so it's not like a lazy preseason thing.

Playmaking looks great, deceptive as ever and the play lands way more often than you'd think it would. Incredible. When he's shooting there are times where I feel like the puck should be off his stick before he gets it but instead he dangles and others where he dangles then tries to snipe high when he's got guys in the crease ready to clean up a simple layup to the pads.

It's stuff that's easy to fix but you just wonder if anyone is in his ear about it. I felt that way about some of the Oiler's stars in their early years, a few had habits you wouldn't expect from a NHL'er well into their 20's. Hell, so does Seth Jones.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Haven't seen the game, but most important takeaway from me going by the posts is we got Bedard legit help, but looks like his line will be the only thing opps have to worry about again.

Would be nice to have another line that can take pressure off of him.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
He did the same play and turned over the puck earlier in the first only no break away. Had options, tried to force his way across the blue line when it was obvious the room wasn't there.

It's a learning process and there's more room for great players to make mistakes but some of this skating into trouble trying to force things is easily preventable as it's often not as if he's going for some high reward play in the slot....it's in random areas like the no-turnover zone at their blue line. And, yeah, we saw a lot of it in the regular season last year so it's not like a lazy preseason thing.

Playmaking looks great, deceptive as ever and the play lands way more often than you'd think it would. Incredible. When he's shooting there are times where I feel like the puck should be off his stick before he gets it but instead he dangles and others where he dangles then tries to snipe high when he's got guys in the crease ready to clean up a simple layup to the pads.

It's stuff that's easy to fix but you just wonder if anyone is in his ear about it. I felt that way about some of the Oiler's stars in their early years, a few had habits you wouldn't expect from a NHL'er well into their 20's. Hell, so does Seth Jones.
I mean Bedard got benched at the World Championships this year for playing this inefficient high risk game so it’s not like it hasn’t had consequences for him yet either

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
My observations from being at the game last night.

Overall, Hawks want and draft speed but don't play fast. The get hemmed in too much and on the rush they don't have numbers. On PP they defer to 98 too much like they did Kane and he is NO Kane.

They need to make defensive plays in neutral zone and do quick regroups to have ANY success this year.

Mrzek was good along with Smith, TT and Spellacy.

Bad, Jones, Martinez, Nazar

Rest were pretty much invisible

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Just remember….the bears went 4-0 in the preseason…and as it turns out they’re still just the same old bears. Preseason means NOTHING. Nor does a one game sample size in general. Just stay healthy.

The hawks are going to be bad lol. Regardless of what the preseason looks like.

This is still a bad roster.

So I’m not sure the Bears are a great comp.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
I liked Korchinski last night. I am sure that if he struggles a bit and Kaiser has a really strong camp, they would love to send him to Rockford to play a ton of minutes in all situations. But I think you could make a strong case he was our best defenseman last night. I also feel like people forget that he was not gifted a spot coming out of camp last year. He flat out took a spot and could very well do the same this year. For all the talk about Kaiser, who I like and wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team this year, Korchinski was significantly better than him last year.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I liked Korchinski last night. I am sure that if he struggles a bit and Kaiser has a really strong camp, they would love to send him to Rockford to play a ton of minutes in all situations. But I think you could make a strong case he was our best defenseman last night. I also feel like people forget that he was not gifted a spot coming out of camp last year. He flat out took a spot and could very well do the same this year. For all the talk about Kaiser, who I like and wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team this year, Korchinski was significantly better than him last year.
Well yes, but the only other choice was back to Junior otherwise I'm pretty sure he would have spent most of the season in RFD. That said, he did look pretty good in the first pre-season game of the year. I wish I could say that about more of the guys. Hopefully they'll look a bit sharper on Friday.

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
I would say that even if Korchinski outplays Kaiser in the preseason, Kaiser still gets the spot because it's probably better for the org overall to let Korchinski develop in Rockford for some time and get top pairing minutes there. It's not like they're going to contend for the cup anyway and Korchinski over Kaiser or Kaiser over Korchinski won't make a huge difference in how good the team does this year.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I would say that even if Korchinski outplays Kaiser in the preseason, Kaiser still gets the spot because it's probably better for the org overall to let Korchinski develop in Rockford for some time and get top pairing minutes there. It's not like they're going to contend for the cup anyway and Korchinski over Kaiser or Kaiser over Korchinski won't make a huge difference in how good the team does this year.
Can’t agree with that. It’s a bad precedent to send someone down even if they’re playing better. Then what’s the point of preseason? Just set the roster and play the games as a full team.

Also, the coaching staff will eventually figure out that Martinez and Brodie aren’t great and cut their minutes, so Korch will get plenty of playing time should he stick.

The only thing is the power play which he could run in Rockford. Management is dead set on tanking it with Jones, and that likely won’t change.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Can’t agree with that. It’s a bad precedent to send someone down even if they’re playing better. Then what’s the point of preseason? Just set the roster and play the games as a full team.

Also, the coaching staff will eventually figure out that Martinez and Brodie aren’t great and cut their minutes, so Korch will get plenty of playing time should he stick.

The only thing is the power play which he could run in Rockford. Management is dead set on tanking it with Jones, and that likely won’t change.
We'll see how Brodie and Martinez work out but I see your point. Both of the veteran dmen looked mediocre last night but it's only one exhibition game.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
No. Not even close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad