GDT: Hawks @ Utah 9pm ESPN 10/8/24 First game of the season you clowns

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Probably an unpopular opinion based on the comments here, but I thought Hall looked better as the game along.

I was ready to write him off but I'm switching my stance to give him a few weeks to get his legs back and see if maybe he does have something left in the tank. If he can become even a decent passenger on the second line that would be a huge help.
Hall was OK for a guy that hasn't played in almost a year.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Just listened to Richardson’s post game babble. I can’t see how someone like this as a head coach is helpful for the present state of this team or the future regarding development of the young players. The guy is a stiff, he should not be coaching this team. There had to be SOMEONE out there better equipped to develop this team better and help our 19 year old franchise player become what we need him to become. Get rid of this guy sooner rather than later PLEASE, it sucks to hear some talking about tanking yet again 1 game into the season.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Probably an unpopular opinion based on the comments here, but I thought Hall looked better as the game along.

I was ready to write him off but I'm switching my stance to give him a few weeks to get his legs back and see if maybe he does have something left in the tank. If he can become even a decent passenger on the second line that would be a huge help.
Just like the preseason Hawks did not play with any pace. Hall being the exception.

Hawks have some guys with speed but we don't see it often enough. The entry on the PP being a prime example. It was painful to watch.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
I don't see how that argument popped up about faceoffs not mattering when seeing how bad the Blackhawks zone entries are on a power play. It took 25-35 seconds off from the start when they lost the faceoff before they had any time in the offensive zone.

The only reason I can offer why the 4th line played as PP2 is because every other player must be tired from chasing the puck by the time they go on the power play.

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
Just listened to Richardson’s post game babble. I can’t see how someone like this as a head coach is helpful for the present state of this team or the future regarding development of the young players. The guy is a stiff, he should not be coaching this team. There had to be SOMEONE out there better equipped to develop this team better and help our 19 year old franchise player become what we need him to become. Get rid of this guy sooner rather than later PLEASE, it sucks to hear some talking about tanking yet again 1 game into the season.
Yeah I mean nobody expects a run to the Finals, but there has to be improvement. If their "plan" is to slowly develop the team over 3-5 years, that's not acceptable. They can get better, win more games, get back in the playoff discussion.

His comments were very uncomfortable to hear as you said just one game in. That's a comfort I'm sure to the ticket holders who spent a lot of money to watch basically a low-grade AHL team + Bedard.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Having a team that sucks is one thing, we knew that was going to happen.

But when the coach lets his team think that type of culture is okay, that’s some bullshit. Get someone with some damn pride who will follow him despite their deficiencies.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Yeah he started the game poorly, and then started to settle in

He has chemistry with Kurashev

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
Agree with your assessments in this game, except for the play of Martinez. I'll reserve judgement though.

Maroon can be effective in the right situations but for 10 minutes of ice maximum.

IMO, the worst part of this game was the inept PP. Not only was the entry pitiful but any momentum for Hawks was killed - in fact it worked the opposite giving Utah mo. Hawks also lost too many key draws especially early on.

The Hawks PP has been dogshit for what seems like forever.

The best it's looked in a long ass time was the season where Gus had like 60 points as a defenseman. Other than that, it has constantly sucked.

Even on the powerhouse Hawks teams, the PP was mediocre.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
We drove a record number of Utah fans to the drink.

Delta Center had a record-breaking demand for beverages from the hockey audience. The arena did $120,000 in beer sales alone, which is more than any NBA or NHL event it has hosted, Smith Entertainment Group said.

Beer prices were slightly higher for the Hockey Club’s opening night. A Michelob Ultra went for $13 at the Utah Jazz’s preseason game on Monday, but sold for $15 at Utah HC’s game on Tuesday. Even at $15 a pop, that would be 8,000 cans sold Tuesday night.

Albeit that means that Utah's record for drinking was a half beer per person in attendance. Mormons definitely mostly stick to their no-drinking prohibition.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
We drove a record number of Utah fans to the drink.

Delta Center had a record-breaking demand for beverages from the hockey audience. The arena did $120,000 in beer sales alone, which is more than any NBA or NHL event it has hosted, Smith Entertainment Group said.

Beer prices were slightly higher for the Hockey Club’s opening night. A Michelob Ultra went for $13 at the Utah Jazz’s preseason game on Monday, but sold for $15 at Utah HC’s game on Tuesday. Even at $15 a pop, that would be 8,000 cans sold Tuesday night.

Albeit that means that Utah's record for drinking was a half beer per person in attendance. Mormons definitely mostly stick to their no-drinking prohibition.
How much of that was Hawks fans flying in for the game? I would guess a good chunk.

Reactions: Pez68

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Nobody is going to take the job until this offseason until the earliest. It’s a sacrificial lamb position.
I don’t buy that, someone out there unemployed doesn’t want a chance to coach Bedard? I would say the Hawks won’t sack him until the end of the season, that’s way more likely. They could sack him and put the interim label on someone to wait for a better coach, anything instead of this stiff ironing board Richardson is better.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I don’t buy that, someone out there unemployed doesn’t want a chance to coach Bedard? I would say the Hawks won’t sack him until the end of the season, that’s way more likely. They could sack him and put the interim label on someone to wait for a better coach, anything instead of this stiff ironing board Richardson is better.
Is Q still unemployed? I kid...sort of...for the most part.

At this point you might as well give Richardson this season or most of it as it is a throw away year while we wait for prospects to marinate and start arriving. We can Savard Richardson after a handful of games next year and set the course for 3 Cups.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Is Q still unemployed? I kid...sort of...for the most part.

At this point you might as well give Richardson this season or most of it as it is a throw away year while we wait for prospects to marinate and start arriving. We can Savard Richardson after a handful of games next year and set the course for 3 Cups.
Yeah, they wouldn’t do Q 😊

Give it a bit of time but if this guy looks to be hindering progress you dump him and go with one of the assistants as an interim coach for this year. Hawks have done this several times.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Tank coaches never last and then all they have is a crappy win loss record to make them poison for future jobs. The next “interim” guy isn’t going to be materially different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad