GDT: Hawks @ Utah 9pm ESPN 10/8/24 First game of the season you clowns

Crow

May 19, 2014
What a coincidence, Korchinski in the NHL is like a magic trick this year.

Better then the White Sox? At least they wernt chasing "worst team of all time" all year?

Well, reports say Jayden Daniel's not only is currently rookie of the Year, but also MVP.

Who the Bears draft, again?
White Sox? High standards you have.

GIADF

Aug 17, 2024
Just finished 3rd period and so happy to see Allan look so good defensively. He did a great job in the third clearing the crease and to get the puck going the other way.

He also JUST missed on a perfect stretch pass as well.

Not to mention a few other really good defensive plays in the first two periods.

Really great debut from him.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
Gotta be up at 5 am. Im still committing.

I remember back during the '15 cup run, when the Hawks were playing Anaheim and the game didn't start until 11:30 PM (I live in Atlantic Canada)...

The game went triple overtime (Kruger scored the game winner) and didn't get over until ~4 o'clock IIRC. Had work at 8 AM and ended up dozing off in my office chair but staying up that late to watch a playoff win was well worth it.

Reactions: TLEH

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
It turned out to be a very sloppy game...Hawks had 16 give-aways . Utah had 22 gove-aways. Utah cashed in on more goals off Hawks giveaways than Hawks did on the Utah giveaways..

But 38 total giveaways is indicative of sloppy lower teams..

Utah jot 2 posts early and coukd have been up 5-0 before Hawks made their comeback...

Hawks hit 4 posts and a cross-bar plus had an own goal deflection go i agaibst..Hawks missed the net on attempted shots 18 Times!

Yikes ...maybe LR should schedule shooting oractice?

Utah also blocked 22 Hawks shots...

Hawks dominated posession in2nd and 3rd periods..had no good luck And Mrazek let in1 horrible goal he should have stopped.

Hawks strong comeback stats -wise for possession should have made for a comeback victory...but bad luck and poir finishing candy a horroblec1st period cost them the game .

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
TT's goal a pure beauty. That guy always had the smarts and decent skill combined with being a team player.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
good opening game for the hawks in the end, wish they would be ready go at puck drop time more...

Allen was our best defender last night.

Maroon, Smith & Brodie have no business playing in the NHL anymore.

Martinez needs to play less minutes.

Loads of older plugs in the canoe just waiting for the youngsters to get seasoned in Rockford and then they would be putting the likes of Smith, Maroon, Brodie, Donato, etc. out of work...its going to be a rough year watching this stuff however we will also be treated to glimpses of what hopefully will be the future core grow when called up...

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
No, Brodie was absolutely f***ing awful.
This was my take. Brodie seemed to be fighting the puck all night - not being able to cleanly receive a pass and then getting rid of the puck like it was grenade - often throwing it into his partners feet. I had hoped that his poor play last year in TOR was a result of his dad passing, but he might be one of those guys who hits the wall relatively early.

In general - this game is what I hoped for. After the 1st - Hawks competing and actually playing hockey instead of just getting clowned. Thought they deserved a better fate - but they're still light on talent so fine with result. I am interested to see where Bertuzzi ends up fitting in, because he didn't look all that impressive at first glance. Thought Allan had a strong game, and am looking forward to him earning more icetime.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Thoughts after sleeping on it:

You know we've been in a bad place when I was so excited just to see a team that was winning puck battles and outracing opponents to loose pucks in the last two periods. It makes the first period look all the worse because that would have been a very ugly period even for last year's team.

Bedard had an excellent second half of the game, but this team isn't going to do much when he sleepwalks through a period and a half. He was more engaged physically which was nice to see.

Bertuzzi was lucky not to get called for a couple of penalties but I liked his game from the second period onwards. Bad luck not to score once or twice.

Kurashev is not a center, but he had a decent game other than a horrible whiff preventing the zone entry on Utah's first goal.

Seth had a very solid game. Allan had a nice debut and should get an uptick in ice time- I'm sure trailing all game didn't help with that.

Hall had some dangerous looks but did get off to a good start as my scapegoat by sewering a few powerplay looks. Not that the rest of the unit was clicking.

Overall, I feel reassured that this team won't be as dramatically awful of a viewing experience when 98 isn't on the ice, and that's kind of all I'm asking for this year.

Reactions: ello and Dead Meat

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I'm just glad the games are watchable. Battled back. Last year that's a 5-1 loss and we're hoping for a Bedard point.

Really rough first period. They had several looks at squaring the score late. Tank is on schedule.

Reactions: Kurtosis

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
IMO

The bad-

TJ Brodie
Bedards 1st half of the game
Powerplay 2 Lineup
Craig Smith
1st Period
Mikheyev 1st line

The good
Nolan Allan
Bedards 2nd half of the game
Kurashev
Getting Vlasic back with Jones
Martinez (IMO)
The pushback after a terrible 1st
Donatos game

Other thoughts. Maroon is so slow and mad some bad turnovers but he also was noticeable a few times in a good way. Once a few spots are filled in with Korchinski Nazar and Dach/Slaggart they should be a decent team.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Lineup for next game if I am Richardson

Foligno-Bedard-Tuevo
Hall-Kurashev-Bertuzzi
Reichel-Dickinson-Anthansiou
Anderson-Donato-Mikheyev

Vlasic Jones
Allan-Murphy
Kaiser-Martinez

Brodie if Kaiser isnt ready

PP1
Bedard, Kurashev, Bertuzzi, Tuevo, Jones
PP2
Hall Dickinson Reichel Foligno Vlasic

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
No, Brodie was absolutely f***ing awful.
Understatement. Brodie is done, doesn't have any grit to his game, loses every board battle - he makes the odd good breakout pass if he has time but that's about it. Martinez did nothing to impress either. The sooner the young dmen are deemed NHL ready, the better.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
even the ESPN crew pointed out how odd it was to have Kurashev on PP2 without Bedard. I said it before the game, Hall doesn’t have the hands/patience to play on the pp at this point of his career. More than once he just opted for an unscreened shot when the team was close to getting set up and generally doesn’t seem to be aware of where to put the puck to relieve pressure and establish the zone

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
IMO

The bad-

TJ Brodie
Bedards 1st half of the game
Powerplay 2 Lineup
Craig Smith
1st Period
Mikheyev 1st line

The good
Nolan Allan
Bedards 2nd half of the game
Kurashev
Getting Vlasic back with Jones
Martinez (IMO)
The pushback after a terrible 1st
Donatos game

Other thoughts. Maroon is so slow and mad some bad turnovers but he also was noticeable a few times in a good way. Once a few spots are filled in with Korchinski Nazar and Dach/Slaggart they should be a decent team.
Agree with your assessments in this game, except for the play of Martinez. I'll reserve judgement though.

Maroon can be effective in the right situations but for 10 minutes of ice maximum.

IMO, the worst part of this game was the inept PP. Not only was the entry pitiful but any momentum for Hawks was killed - in fact it worked the opposite giving Utah mo. Hawks also lost too many key draws especially early on.

GIADF

Aug 17, 2024
Probably an unpopular opinion based on the comments here, but I thought Hall looked better as the game along.

I was ready to write him off but I'm switching my stance to give him a few weeks to get his legs back and see if maybe he does have something left in the tank. If he can become even a decent passenger on the second line that would be a huge help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad