Confirmed with Link: Hawks get pick #s 18 & 50 from NYI for pick #s 20, 54, & 61 (all in 2024)

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Lol, OK dude. Reality is that you really have no idea what he could become. He's one of only 4 players to score more than 50G and 115pts in the CHL, with Crosby, Bedard, and Patty Kane. Pretty elite company, and the talent is undeniable.
We don't have enough talent on this team or in the pipeline to skip out on a guy because he's almost 5'11.

Height isn't everything either, a lot of these NHLers I've seen in person are around 6ft but they're not these massive, physically intimidating guys. A 5'10" guy that's high energy and puts on muscle weight would do just fine.
Where are we drafting Catton? Is he available at 18?

Why are you guys even talking about him?

BHawks77

Mar 22, 2023
I've seen both of them play.

They didn't play on the same team in Cristall's draft year.

I'm not writing scouting reports for Cristall this year because he's already been drafted.

What's so hard to understand?

So which is it you have seen Cristall or not!? First you say you havent scouted him this year (would tell that you havent seen him) then you tell he will be PPG player but Catton will not (how would you know that if you havent scouted him for a year). But when you are told Iginla and Cristall are in the same team you suddenly have seen Cristall play... Hhhmmmm...

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
So which is it you have seen Cristall or not!? First you say you havent scouted him this year (would tell that you havent seen him) then you tell he will be PPG player but Catton will not (how would you know that if you havent scouted him for a year). But when you are told Iginla and Cristall are in the same team you suddenly have seen Cristall play... Hhhmmmm...
I can't tell if you guys are f***ing with me, or you're just supremely dense

BHawks77

Mar 22, 2023
I can't tell if you guys are f***ing with me, or you're just supremely dense

Just curious. You were so balls to the wall with Cristall last year that its pretty surprising that you havent followed him after. Would be easy to do that if scouting Iginla.

Also now you say Bedard and Nazar are only "smurfs" we can have because we would be too small. But somehow last year missing Cristall was huge mistake for Hawks.

Just trying to understand where you are coming from. But youre the expert what do I know...

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Been playing around with the idea that the trade was made with hopes of moving up even further in the draft. Not a finished product, but I think there is an angle for the Jersey pick.

NJ fans would really like to trade for Ullmark but don't want to give up 10oa
Boston fans would like to get a first + for Ullmark

Enter Kyle Davidson:

Chicago receives 10oa

Boston receives 18oa and 50oa

NJ receives 34oa and Ullmark

Not confident enough to take this to the main board, but I think every team is getting something they want here.
I like that but you may have to swap 34th will Toronto’s first next year

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Just curious. You were so balls to the wall with Cristall last year that its pretty surprising that you havent followed him after. Would be easy to do that if scouting Iginla.
I don't write scouting reports for players that have already been drafted.

I focus on one year at a time.

This isn't my job. I don't have the bandwidth for more beyond that.

I've obviously seen Cristall play this year by proxy of watching Iginla, but my focus isn't on Cristall. I'm not writing reports on him. I'm not sure why this matters to you so much.
Also now you say Bedard and Nazar are only "smurfs" we can have because we would be too small. But somehow last year missing Cristall was huge mistake for Hawks.
Andrew Cristall was available 35th overall. He's a top 10 talent in that draft. That's insane value. Passing on him is a braindead decision. Chicago took a goalie.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

Andrew Cristall was available 35th overall. He's a top 10 talent in that draft. That's insane value. Passing on him is a braindead decision. Chicago took a goalie.
You've done nothing to answer his question. How could the Hawks possibly fit Cristall in when it would give them too many small players up front? Your two opinions directly conflict with one another.

Reactions: Pez68 and BHawks77

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
I don't care what players are similar or not.

It's about talent.

Cristall and Iginla are more talented players than Catton.

Catton is Tyler Johnson. That's a good player. It's not a great one.

Cristall has ppg upside. Iginla should be a consistent 30+ goal scorer.

Catton isn't either of those things.

Lol.

BHawks77

Mar 22, 2023
I don't write scouting reports for players that have already been drafted.

I focus on one year at a time.

This isn't my job. I don't have the bandwidth for more beyond that.

I've obviously seen Cristall play this year by proxy of watching Iginla, but my focus isn't on Cristall. I'm not writing reports on him. I'm not sure why this matters to you so much.

How can you say Cristall will be top 10 player if you havent scouted him for a year.. and you would have taken him at 20 which you said for yourself not so great value there and he is still a "smurfy" which we shouldnt take according to you.

Reactions: Giovi

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
I believe Cristall improved his skating this season but Catton is a far better skater and far more defensively aware. There are valid criticisms of Catton's off puck play but his compete level was way more consistent than Cristall's, in his draft year. I will say, a number of the things I like about Catton, I see in the larger and more athletic Demidov.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You've done nothing to answer his question. How could the Hawks possibly fit Cristall in when it would give them too many small players up front? Your two opinions directly conflict with one another.
No conflict.

BPA above all us.
How can you say Cristall will be top 10 player if you havent scouted him for a year.. and you would have taken him at 20 which you said for yourself not so great value there and he is still a "smurfy" which we shouldnt take according to you.
Because in his draft year I had him ranked top 10 amongst his peers.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Catton is small and a Smurf but Cristall is a top 10 talent. 1 inch shorter than Catton BTW.
What are you even trying to say?

That Catton is as good as Bedard simply because they're the same height?

You realize size doesn't dictate the quality of prospect, right?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
What are you even trying to say?

That Catton is as good as Bedard simply because they're the same height?

You realize size doesn't dictate the quality of prospect, right?
The smurfs still need to score.

A top 6 of exclusively sub 6ft forwards is only producing in the regular season.

In the playoffs, they're getting completely neutralized.
Do you? Cristall was a Top 5 talent according to you, in a way better draft. Size wasn't a concern then. Now its a concern for Catton? In a way worse draft he isn't even a Top 15 Talent?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Do you? Cristall was a Top 5 talent according to you, in a way better draft. Size wasn't a concern then. Now its a concern for Catton? In a way worse draft he isn't even a Top 15 Talent?
I don't know why it's so hard for you to understand that I believe there's a large gap in talent.

I'm not concerned with Cristall's size because he has elite upside.

I'm not concerned with Bedard's size because he's generational.

Nobody on the planet is concerned with Kane's size because he's the greatest American born player of all time.

Catton is a Tyler Johnson level player, at best, so size could be a problem for him at the next level if he falls short of his ceiling.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I don't know why it's so hard for you to understand that I believe there's a large gap in talent.

I'm not concerned with Cristall's size because he has elite upside.

I'm not concerned with Bedard's size because he's generational.

Nobody on the planet is concerned with Kane's size because he's the greatest American born player of all time.

Catton is a Tyler Johnson level player, at best, so size could be a problem for him at the next level if he falls short of his ceiling.

mfers are obsessed with having a smurf team

A top 6 of sub 6 foot forwards is never making it out of the 1st round
You're talking in circles.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
The delusion/hope in this thread has me convinced we can land both Demidov and Iginla.

The fastball/changeup(or curveball idfk) in our top 6 would be devastating with having a high end speed line to a high end transition skating line that can absolutely punch through shit… and then a bunch of electric skaters on the third line that are above 6 feet

Demidov — Bedard — Iginla
Dach — Nazar — Moore
Misiak — Greene — Hayes

Reactions: Drumman44

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You're talking in circles.
Nope. There are no contradictions.

The delusion/hope in this thread has me convinced we can land both Demidov and Iginla.
I think it's possible.

They have to make that trade with New Jersey.

Even if Tij isn't available, someone like Sennecke or Yakemchuk could be.

It's a trade they need to make.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Nope. There are no contradictions.

I think it's possible.

They have to make that trade with New Jersey.

Even if Tij isn't available, someone like Sennecke or Yakemchuk could be.

It's a trade they need to make.
Tbh and the hawks draft history could attest to this during their run — every year there’s power forwards but how many of them are worth their salt? I’m not saying draft iginla at 2, but are sennecke/yakemchuk(understand he’s a D) going to be producers worth a 10OA(which is really a 20OA, 54OA, 61OA, and then even more additional picks)?

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Tbh and the hawks draft history could attest to this during their run — every year there’s power forwards but how many of them are worth their salt? I’m not saying draft iginla at 2, but are sennecke/yakemchuk(understand he’s a D) going to be producers worth a 10OA(which is really a 20OA, 54OA, 61OA, and then even more additional picks)?
First of all, it's a weak draft class. I don't have much faith in the possible selections at #20, #54, #61, etc. There are some guys I'm high on, but I also can't guarantee that the Blackhawks will select them.

So as far as I'm concerned, moving up for a near surefire hit is the right move. At #10, the Blackhawks basically can't mess up unless they do something really stupid and pick a guy that would've been available at 18 anyway. They're not going to do that. If they move up, they're taking a consensus top 10 player.

As for Sennecke and Yakemchuk, both players received top 5 votes on Bob's latest list from NHL scouts. Yakemchuk even had a 4th place rating. Montreal is supposedly strongly considering Sennecke at #5.

So professionals in the industry certainly think highly of them.

Sennecke improved a lot throughout the season. He had a massive growth spurt in the last year. I think he was like 5'10 last season, now he's potentially 6'3" (we'll wait for the combine measurement). Took a lot of adjusting, but by the end of the season he started to become really comfortable in his body and gained a ton of confidence. He was a force in the playoffs and was pulling off some really high level plays. A good fit for Bedard's RW.

Yakemchuk is a big RHD, physical, has a bomb from the point, could actually be a legit PPQB in addition to playing the right side. Fills two big holes for the Blackhawks. Should be noted that both of these kids are good skaters. Unfortunately Calgary didn't make it into the playoffs (they were close) so we didn't get to see Yakemchuk on the big stage, but he's very competitive. I think he would've been a menace. Potentially could have boosted his stock some more.

So yeah if they move up to #10, I hope it's because Iginla is there, but Yakemchuk and Sennecke are solid alternatives otherwise. And a big step up over whoever they'd take at 18 and whatever other picks they'd have to throw in to make the move. There's always fallers too. Buium could make his way to #10 too. It's always possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad