Confirmed with Link: Hawks get pick #s 18 & 50 from NYI for pick #s 20, 54, & 61 (all in 2024)

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Liking Strome and Cristall but disliking Catton is blasphemous. It's especially weird to be that high on Cristall and be late to the Tij party. Like what the hell were you watching?

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Reading this sounds like KD can't make mistakes, reminding worship SB got.

If anything this sounds like panic attack that KD could'n move higher for Moore.

They don't have a ton of high draft picks because they're good, but they picked Suzuki, Hague, and Brannstrom in their 1st year. All solid picks outside of Glass, but there was a big drop off after Pettersson. The Krebs pick was a solid one for 17th oa. I'm also a fan of Brisson at 29th oa in 2020, and the Edstrom pick last year. Really big fan of the Edstrom pick actually. He's going to be good for the Sharks.

Top tier of prospects in this draft;

Celebrini
Demidov
Levshunov
Silayev
Lindstrom
Dickinson
Parekh
Buium
Helenius
Iginla
Sennecke
Yakemchuk
Catton
Solberg
Eiserman
Connelly
MBN
Jiricek

Outside the bubble; Chernyshov, Surin, Hage

18 players in the top tier, Hawks have the 18th oa pick...
How many of those don't skate well enough?

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Reading this sounds like KD can't make mistakes, reminding worship SB got.

If anything this sounds like panic attack that KD could'n move higher for Moore.

How many of those don't skate well enough?
Huh?

Hawks have enough prospects and picks this and the next 2 years. Its more valueable to get higher picks to make Sure you get the guys you want.

Time will Tell, but moving up is good. I hope he can move up even more. Enough picks to do it.

Reactions: hawksrule

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
Huh?

Hawks have enough prospects and picks this and the next 2 years. Its more valueable to get higher picks to make Sure you get the guys you want.

Time will Tell, but moving up is good. I hope he can move up even more. Enough picks to do it.
Doesn't mean he should be giving away picks. This isn't a charity.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Doesn't mean he should be giving away picks. This isn't a charity.
How did he gave away "picks"?

He moved up and may do it again giving away more picks. I'd rather have the guy I want instead of more... we have the more and with Bedard and #2 this year 2 blue chip prospects.
Not to mention another Top20 and next years 1st. Thats enough, more than enough to trade up and get the quality.

Those trades are good, now its up to identify the right prospects to Pick.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I think there's a couple of things on this trade at this time: 1. the move from 20 to 18 probably addresses that they see 18 players that they "have to have". At the same time, it could be a building block to moving further up. I don't think the 54-50 is anything more than a building block to move into the last 3rd of the first round----maybe the 34th and the 50th for the 26 kind of thing. Hard to applaud or nix this until we see how it all plays out, but there's a plan behind it.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
1 spot would have landed us Q. Hughs instead of Boqvist
I don't get the sentiment that KD botched this deal?
Sure great players are found in the later rounds but the odds are much much slimmer. The odds are greater to land a really good player in round 1 when you are two spots higher than you would have been. Life is good Hawk fans. Relish the spice we were treated with today!
That was much earlier in the draft top 10, we are talking about 20th overall and 18th overall, I am not saying 2 spots are always nothing, going up from 8th to 6th is worth it, or 3rd to 1st is huge but the more you go down the list it becomes negligible.

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
For some reason, I think KD has some analytics that may suggest that it's possible to have 'too many' draft picks at a time. I think I remember last year on draft day, he traded a 2023 2nd for a 2026 2nd or something like that and in theory, that doesn't make any sense.

This seems to have similar logic behind it but I can't say for sure. Maybe he sees a true cutoff after 18 players? At the end of the day, most draft picks outside of the first round don't amount to much and I can't believe that there is a large difference between 18 and 20 but what do I know?

Reactions: BobbyJet

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Total non-factor off the puck.

Like think about the composition of this roster.

You want Demidov and Catton.

Bedard and Demidov don't mesh as linemates.

So now you've got Bedard on line 1, and Demidov on line 2.

Catton is a puck carrier. When he's not carrying the puck he's worthless. So he has to be the guy. But he's never going to be the guy on a line with Bedard, nor a line with Demidov. Now he's stuck on your 3rd line.

Now you still have blank spaces you need to fill in the top 6, but you blew you high end picks on guys that can't play together. But the team produces enough that they're a fringe playoff team, so you're only ever drafting mid 1st round every year so you can't actually draft top 6 talent to fill those holes. You're stuck in a spiral of mediocrity. The rebuild is a failure. Congrats, you're now the Maple Leafs.

The end.
Good post.

I don't necessarily buy into the concept of drafting the "best/most skilled" player available. Team chemistry considerations must be a big factor in choosing draft picks..... and it is a big reason astute GMs will move down in a draft...... or fleece another GM to give up a pick.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
How did he gave away "picks"?

He moved up and may do it again giving away more picks. I'd rather have the guy I want instead of more... we have the more and with Bedard and #2 this year 2 blue chip prospects.
Not to mention another Top20 and next years 1st. Thats enough, more than enough to trade up and get the quality.

Those trades are good, now its up to identify the right prospects to Pick.
Well, all I can say is KD had better have something up his sleeve to move up more.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Ahh, you mean like Kucherov, Point?
That's two players. We have Bedard and Nazar. They're great. I love them both. At worst, they're as good as Kucherov and Point. We've reached our smurf limit. No more. Remainder of the top 6 needs to be 6ft+.
I don't understand how you cannot.
I scouted Andrew Cristall in 2023, his draft year.
I've scouted Tij Iginla this year, his draft year.

What is your point?

You're just saying random shit, and framing it like it's an astute observation lol.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You draft the most skilled guys at the top. Not every player you draft is going to pan out. You take the lottery ticket and hope 2 of the 3 guys you drafted with the same skill set workout, if all 3 workout and it doesn't mesh, you trade one of them down the line.

That's two players. We have Bedard and Nazar. They're great. I love them both. At worst, they're as good as Kucherov and Point. We've reached our smurf limit. No more. Remainder of the top 6 needs to be 6ft+.
No guarantee Nazar is close to a Point, he could be more of a Cirelli. The point is, you just draft the best player and figure out the make up of the team later, if that means trading a Nazar for more of a Killorn type, then you do that at that point.

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Really cool write up on the success rate of draft picks across various parameters. Well worth the read if any of you have 10 minutes

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You draft the most skilled guys at the top. Not every player you draft is going to pan out. You take the lottery ticket and hope 2 of the 3 guys you drafted with the same skill set workout, if all 3 workout and it doesn't mesh, you trade one of them down the line.

No guarantee Nazar is close to a Point, he could be more of a Cirelli. The point is, you just draft the best player and figure out the make up of the team later, if that means trading a Nazar for more of a Killorn type, then you do that at that point.
I agree that you draft BPA.

Where is Catton BPA? If they stay at 18 and he's available? Go for it. There's value there.

If they're moving up say 10-13, there's no world in which Catton is BPA.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Anyone who is watching these playoffs can see once again that big bodies with skill dominate and often compliment a smattering of smurfs quite nicely. It is no fluke that final 4 teams all play a heavy game when it's needed - and a Florida team that plays probably the heaviest game in the NHL has to be the favorite to take the SC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad