Confirmed with Link: Hawks get pick #s 18 & 50 from NYI for pick #s 20, 54, & 61 (all in 2024)

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Did a computer make the choice to give up a draft pick?

I can vividly recall many folks here endorsing Stan in his early days as well. I consider this strike one against KD and hopefully there won't be any more.
so strike one is using a second round draft pick (perhaps) sub-optimally to move up two first round draft positions in may, what was assembling one of the worst teams in the cap era? a ball? knocked back foul? such a strange hill to die on.

Reactions: bwana63 and Pez68

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Chicago now has a chance at a 13-17 ranked player rather than a 15-19 ranked player…every draft NHL teams make an ‘off the board’ pick in the middle of 1st round…

Maybe the Hawks aren’t going to draft the RHD Levshunov at #2, going with a forward instead and are hoping either RHD Jiricek or Yakemchuk will be available at #18?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If we package 18 with the Leafs first next year, how far up the draft does that get us?
Has more to so with which teams are even willing to trade down.

New Jersey at 10 seems like the best candidate since that's an actual playoff team. They need goaltending.

18 + Mrazek + the Leafs 2025 1st probably gets it done.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Chicago now has a chance at a 13-17 ranked player rather than a 15-19 ranked player…every draft NHL teams make an ‘off the board’ pick in the middle of 1st round…

Maybe the Hawks aren’t going to draft the RHD Levshunov at #2, going with a forward instead and are hoping either RHD Jiricek or Yakemchuk will be available at #18?
Davidson did say acquiring picks didn’t mean necessarily drafting with those picks, that those picks are ‘tradeable’ assets

20th pick was acquired from TB in the Hagel deal
54th pick was acquired in the draft pick swap at last years draft with PHI
61st pick was acquired WITH Dickinson from VAN for Riley Stillman

All three moves work together to improve our EXTRA 1st and 2nd picks…

Excellent work!

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
So I did hear that the Blackhawks now put players in tears that are similar rated and maybe the 50th pic compared to 61st pick was a five player compared to a tier 7 player. There seems to be a top 15. Which includes jirek and senecke. Moving up into the top 15 would cost a ton. I’m sure the hawks like 2-3 guys. In the tier right after them. Hoping those 2-3 make it to 20 is tough. Also go out and look at the. Go on 2 round mock drafts either the one on The Athletic or bleacher nation did one a few days ago as well around 50 there’s some guys that look like they could be NHL players at 61 I’ve just never heard any other names. We’re also going to be in a position all year to add assets either by trading veterans or using cap space it’s all about getting higher picks. You only have 50 contracts to work with.
I see your point. Hopefully Hawks get the guy(s) they want.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
They are atrocious drafters. Big Cody Glass, Peyton Krebs fan?
They don't have a ton of high draft picks because they're good, but they picked Suzuki, Hague, and Brannstrom in their 1st year. All solid picks outside of Glass, but there was a big drop off after Pettersson. The Krebs pick was a solid one for 17th oa. I'm also a fan of Brisson at 29th oa in 2020, and the Edstrom pick last year. Really big fan of the Edstrom pick actually. He's going to be good for the Sharks.

Top tier of prospects in this draft;

Celebrini
Demidov
Levshunov
Silayev
Lindstrom
Dickinson
Parekh
Buium
Helenius
Iginla
Sennecke
Yakemchuk
Catton
Solberg
Eiserman
Connelly
MBN
Jiricek

Outside the bubble; Chernyshov, Surin, Hage

18 players in the top tier, Hawks have the 18th oa pick...

Last edited:
Reactions: EddieTheEagle

Lion13

May 7, 2024
I like this trade , and I hope it’s part of more to keep moving up and / or around
If we can come out with some combo of buium , Demidov , iginla that would be huge

Lion13

May 7, 2024
Think you have accept one of them and someone else
Agreed. However if KD can keep moving up from 18 through some combo of our other picks plus maybe Reichel , I think we could get 2 top ten picks and land 2 of those 3 players

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Saying the move is terrible is not exactly throwing a fit. Nobody is saying the rebuild is screwed or someone needs to be fired, just that it's a bad trade from value standpoint. If you traded 6 nickels for a quarter I'd say you made a terrible trade, not that you did something that will have a material negative impact on your life going forward.

If your reasoning was something like "i don't like having too many coins [re - draft picks/prospects] because it stresses me out so I'd rather have one more valuable coin [re - draft picks/prospects] so I don't have to worry about losing/mishandling/mismanaging any of them and making a bad decision" then I would definitely question your reasoning. If there's some bigger idiot out there that will give you gum for a quarter but not for 5 nickels for whatever reason, then yeah ok I guess you did what you had to do.

Calling it terrible is a borderline tantrum.

The value difference is minimal.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
I still see a path for a Toronto trade for Tavares. If he agrees to lift his NMC to be bought out by Chicago, their 2024 first is the starting piece for that trade.

18th overall plus 23rd overall could potentially get you in the top ten, value wise. Finding a dance partner other than New Jersey could be tough though

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Seriously. It's like Catton being a dog with the puck being his bone is a bad thing?
Total non-factor off the puck.

Like think about the composition of this roster.

You want Demidov and Catton.

Bedard and Demidov don't mesh as linemates.

So now you've got Bedard on line 1, and Demidov on line 2.

Catton is a puck carrier. When he's not carrying the puck he's worthless. So he has to be the guy. But he's never going to be the guy on a line with Bedard, nor a line with Demidov. Now he's stuck on your 3rd line.

Now you still have blank spaces you need to fill in the top 6, but you blew you high end picks on guys that can't play together. But the team produces enough that they're a fringe playoff team, so you're only ever drafting mid 1st round every year so you can't actually draft top 6 talent to fill those holes. You're stuck in a spiral of mediocrity. The rebuild is a failure. Congrats, you're now the Maple Leafs.

The end.

Reactions: BobbyJet

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Total non-factor off the puck.

Like think about the composition of this roster.

You want Demidov and Catton.

Bedard and Demidov don't mesh as linemates.

So now you've got Bedard on line 1, and Demidov on line 2.

Catton is a puck carrier. When he's not carrying the puck he's worthless. So he has to be the guy. But he's never going to be the guy on a line with Bedard, nor a line with Demidov. Now he's stuck on your 3rd line.

Now you still have blank spaces you need to fill in the top 6, but you blew you high end picks on guys that can't play together. But the team produces enough that they're a fringe playoff team, so you're only ever drafting mid 1st round every year so you can't actually draft top 6 talent to fill those holes. You're stuck in a spiral of mediocrity. The rebuild is a failure. Congrats, you're now the Maple Leafs.

The end.
I genuinely don't think you've seen enough of Catton if that's your take away. Incredibly cerebral player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad