Hawks, Bulls, & Sox new channel is Chicago Sports Network (CHSN)

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Holy cow, if someone came in here and suggested those prices yesterday, I would've condescendingly told them to get real.

These knobs are voluntarily killing their brands.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Not shocked at $20 personally. I know it's cheaper with a good vpn and ESPN+, but I don't think most are knowledgeable enough to know how to do that. Let alone you have to have a quality VPN, a cheaper one (like purevpn, which I use because I got a killer black friday deal years ago) doesn't seem to work and outside of using a vpn on your router, you'd likely need to either stream the game off a laptop (with a vpn running) or hope your smart tv is Fire based; Roku's (like what my front room tv is) don't support vpn apps.

Honestly, if the app worked flawlessly and were to allow you to start watching a game from the beginning an hour after it started, or allow you to watch a game after it's been completed, I think that has some value. Also skipping through commercials is important.

But everything about this channel has been low quality, so it's gonna be the most basic ass app and it'll buffer every other minute. You'll be lucky if you can pause the feed.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Not shocked at $20 personally. I know it's cheaper with a good vpn and ESPN+, but I don't think most are knowledgeable enough to know how to do that. Let alone you have to have a quality VPN, a cheaper one (like purevpn, which I use because I got a killer black friday deal years ago) doesn't seem to work and outside of using a vpn on your router, you'd likely need to either stream the game off a laptop (with a vpn running) or hope your smart tv is Fire based; Roku's (like what my front room tv is) don't support vpn apps.

Honestly, if the app worked flawlessly and were to allow you to start watching a game from the beginning an hour after it started, or allow you to watch a game after it's been completed, I think that has some value. Also skipping through commercials is important.

But everything about this channel has been low quality, so it's gonna be the most basic ass app and it'll buffer every other minute. You'll be lucky if you can pause the feed.
I'm able to use a VPN still by using NordVPN's Smart DNS on my Roku TVs. Not sure if yours has that functionality. You just program the Smart DNS from your VPN provider into the TV's network settings. Then download the ESPN app and you're able to watch on it.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
I'm able to use a VPN still by using NordVPN's Smart DNS on my Roku TVs. Not sure if yours has that functionality. You just program the Smart DNS from your VPN provider into the TV's network settings. Then download the ESPN app and you're able to watch on it.
I was not aware of that feature. Which sort of proves my point that using a VPN to stream the game can be way over the heads of some fans. And I say that as someone who has been subbed to various VPNs for a good decade now and also someone who has designed a couple of websites in the past (over a decade ago now).

I am happy to hear the VPN/ESPN+ route is working for both you and your brother and probably a few others here. At least most of us are finding ways to watch the games each night. I think this app will help with that, just at a much higher price and likely lacking a ton of features that we're accustomed to with a DVR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad